Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2021, 13:21   #11341
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
Spotted this Seltos near Aluva, Kerala. Not sure whether it's 'inspired by the badass in the driver' or just bad sense of direction .

https://Youtu.be/VWZJnIe8s7Y
This is the Paravoor Junction in Thottakkattukara, Aluva on NH 544. This guy is plain crazy, that too approaching a traffic signal junction in the wrong direction. If I remember properly, there is a traffic police watch tower on the left towards Thrissur. This guy will definitely be flagged down.

He is also lucky that the traffic light from Thrissur side was red. Had it been green, there would have been a great pile up, since cars from that direction are always in high speed.
Old 5th February 2021, 14:35   #11342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
From the video, in my opinion, the accident was not intentional. He was riding pretty fast and hence failed to stop in time. Of course, he can and should be charged for over-speeding/reckless driving but the police here seem to be framing the youths for the wrong case. I'd be certainly interested to know how the police came to this conclusion.
Frankly, shocked at your post. Actually, if a driver rams someone from behind like that, it hardly matters if it was intentional or not! If it was intentional (99% probability) the youths should be behind bars for assault with a deadly weapon. If it was not intentional (most unlikely) then they should not be on any road until they learn to drive without hitting someone.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 18:23   #11343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Frankly, shocked at your post. Actually, if a driver rams someone from behind like that, it hardly matters if it was intentional or not! If it was intentional (99% probability) the youths should be behind bars for assault with a deadly weapon. If it was not intentional (most unlikely) then they should not be on any road until they learn to drive without hitting someone.
See, I'm not supporting the rider in any sense. it was a reckless drive and could have caused a person's life due to their dangerous driving. But intention does matter in law and legality aspect. All the media's have similar title now - "Two bike riders had a narrow escape as youth 'created' an accident to make a viral video".

I'm all in support for warning, penalizing and suspending these type of riders but they are in the headline for intentionally causing accidents for entertainment purpose simply because the police claim they staged it, which seems absurd to me. I have never seen anybody staging an accident involving other vehicle. On top of that, the police have also suspended the registration of another bike among the youth which does not even appear in the video. The cops are acting on their own interests.

All I can say is drive safe and responsibly!
logicalidiot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 19:24   #11344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they are in the headline for intentionally causing accidents for entertainment purpose simply because the police claim they staged it, which seems absurd to me. I have never seen anybody staging an accident involving other vehicle.
I guess it is possible that it was a genuine accident, the video camera was inadvertently on, the superimposition of soundtrack from a movie[*] was a video editing assignment, the publishing of the edited video via the instagram account of one of these accused an act of hacking, the video getting reported to police just someone being malicious and the cops acting on that complaint an example of police overreach. It is all possible.

[*] A scene from the hit comedy movie "In Harihar Nagar", in which a character stages a collision with an unsuspecting old man; one that is considered a fantastic example of the golden age of Malayalam cinema comedy.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 23:20   #11345
BHPian

Two observations;

1) People seem to be in such a hurry to overtake that they try to overtake as I slow down for a speed breaker. They also come parallel and slow down, often leading to blockage for oncoming traffic on tight roads.

2) Two wheelers and sometimes even four hugging/occupying the right lane before turning right, with no regard for oncoming traffic (which would be in the rightful left lane during a left turn).
RoadMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 00:22   #11346
BHPian

Was going through my dash-cam videos and found these specimens.

Just two guys. Riding their bikes. In the middle of the road. Having a chat. Nothing to see here.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-2020_1231_152939_017.mov_000134333.jpg

I was entering the main road. The auto on the right takes a wide turn, so as to leave enough space for the cars to enter the main road. The auto on the left sees this as an opportunity and and squeezes through, and now has to wait for the other auto to leave anyway.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-2020_1231_162739_020.mov_000199133.jpg

Empty road. Might as well drive through the middle eh?

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-2021_0101_105716_066.mov_000242433.jpg

Auto overtakes me from the left, squeezes in, and then takes a right turn, cutting me off again.

Buses overtake on a turn, forcing others to the side. Immediately after this, a moron biker enters the road without looking.

There is some road repair work going on. Morons make multiple lanes, enters the oncoming lane and create a wonderful jam. Took 40 minutes to cross the junction.

Bus overtakes rashly, forcing me to a corner. Buses in north Kerala are above the law. They can do anything and get away with it. No matter how rash they drive, no action is ever taken against them.

Both private and govt buses. All are same.

The red Swift was overtaking rashly and has multiple near misses with equally rashly driven buses.

The moron on the scooter enters the main road without looking.

This Supro nearly crashes in to the bike. Then proceeds to take up the entire oncoming lane for an overtake.

GeneralJazz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 12:08   #11347
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah, seen too many morons like this dude.

naveen.raju is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 13:21   #11348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Auto overtakes me from the left, squeezes in, and then takes a right turn, cutting me off again.
Isn't this Thalassery town? I'm actually surprised to see that he used the indicators, as usually most of them don't use it and just swerve when they feel the need to.

Quote:
Bus overtakes rashly, forcing me to a corner. Buses in north Kerala are above the law. They can do anything and get away with it. No matter how rash they drive, no action is ever taken against them.
This is a usual sight on the Kannur-Kozhikode highway. The traffic police act like they don't see these anymore. The way they approach, overtake and use the oncoming lanes always scares me.

However, the traffic condition on these roads is beyond unacceptable. I feel ashamed to call it a National Highway, as you won't be able to go beyond 3rd gear at any point during the evenings. The ultra slow drivers and trucks further slow down the pace.

This is the major reason why the bus drivers drive in this manner. They say they lose a lot of time on these highways as there is hardly any gap to overtake. They need to do multiple trips to make enough for a living. I'm sure it would take them a minimum of extra 2 hours if they drive sane. I'm not supporting the bus drivers but just trying to show the picture on why they keep doing it. Unless and until, the roads are widened by the government, I don't see such things stopping anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
That's scary, glad you could apply the brakes in time. Such morons don't ever put their brains to use!

Last edited by logicalidiot : 8th February 2021 at 13:22. Reason: Additional Quote
logicalidiot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 15:13   #11349
BHPian

Quote:
Ugh, so frustrating. I regularly face similar things on the AIIMS flyover (Delhi), when people want to go on Barapulla on the left but have been on the left-most lane. Ironically, heavy traffic is to be thanked here; else a vehicle would come dashing from the right most lane to turn left, and would be fly off the flyover (no pun intended).

On a lighter note, did you mean 'invincible' instead of 'invisible'? :P
N.A.GTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 15:29   #11350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To him, you were invisible. Obviously, he can't see something if he didn't even look! And you didn't hit him, which, to him, means he didn't do anything wrong.

Nothing will happen. Until the day it does.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 15:07   #11351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Was going through my dash-cam videos and found these specimens.
Quote:
Maybe the guy on the scooter is a container lorry driver who is used to taking extreme left before taking a right turn
Both these posts can be used a guide to someone who is not used to Indian traffic and is planning to drive here.
Here, One needs to anticipate other's mistakes and drive with caution all the time. In the past I used to think our society will get over this. But it seems it is never going to go away.

Last edited by TrackDay : 9th February 2021 at 15:11.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 16:17   #11352
BHPian

App based driving score

Mods - Please move my post to an appropriate thread if it is off topic here. Thanks.

I think we need to have some apps like the one used by Amazon for its delivery truck drivers. Google already knows a lot of details about your drive, they could come up with a similar app quite easily. If this sort of monitoring is mandated for commercial drivers, we could see some improvement in behavior on the road.

Just came across this:
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/12/amaz...y-drivers.html
Quote:
Just like the AI-equipped cameras rolling out to contracted delivery companies, Mentor is framed as a “digital driver safety app” to help employees avoid accidents and other unsafe driving habits while they’re en route to their destination. But multiple delivery drivers who spoke to CNBC described the app as invasive and raised concerns that bugs within the app can, at times, lead to unfair disciplinary action from their manager.

Amazon spokesperson Deborah Bass told CNBC in a statement: “Safety is Amazon’s top priority. Whether it’s state-of-the art telemetrics and advanced safety technology in last-mile vans, driver-safety training programs, or continuous improvements within our mapping and routing technology, we have invested tens of millions of dollars in safety mechanisms across our network, and regularly communicate safety best practices to drivers.”

But Bass did not respond to any of the specific allegations DSP drivers made to CNBC about the Mentor app detailed in this story, as well as questions about how the app uses certain behaviors to score drivers.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-screenshot_20210213155855_opera.jpg  

mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 19:14   #11353
BHPian

Quote:
He likes loooong drives. If he drives like this, soon he will be on a long forever last journey. Bad Driver Indeed.
Old 14th February 2021, 17:18   #11354
BHPian

Some more from my dashcam.

Biker carelessly drifts into my lane.

Red lights are more of a suggestion than a rule for him

1. Biker jumps lane without looking.
2. Careless overtaking, especially when the view of oncoming lane is limited
3. Creta is expecting to jump over me!
4. Baleno tries to jump into the lane, even with me honking and flashing headlights
5. Auto driver decides he needs to get off the 6 lane highway. He slows down in the right most lane and crosses all the way to the left most lane, with vehicles around him doing triple digit speeds!
6. Biker drifting lanes, without a care in the world!
7. Another biker jumping lanes without looking. I couldnt slow down much as a few other bikers were closely tailgating me
8. Typical lorry behaviour. If there is something in your path, you dont slow down. Instead, barge into the nearby lane, whether there is a vehicle there or not
9. Scooter guy jumps lane without looking
10. Biker jumps lane without looking
11. Bikers being bikers, jumping lanes, nearly crashing into cars, nearly crashing into each other.

Quote:
Isn't this Thalassery town? I'm actually surprised to see that he used the indicators, as usually most of them don't use it and just swerve when they feel the need to.

This is a usual sight on the Kannur-Kozhikode highway. The traffic police act like they don't see these anymore. The way they approach, overtake and use the oncoming lanes always scares me.

However, the traffic condition on these roads is beyond unacceptable. I feel ashamed to call it a National Highway, as you won't be able to go beyond 3rd gear at any point during the evenings. The ultra slow drivers and trucks further slow down the pace.
Yup thats Thalassery. Probably the indicators might have been ON all morning

I agree, its an absolute pain driving this route. Thalassery to Calicut, a distance of around 80 kms along the "National Highway", now takes close to 2.5 hours during the day. But that is absolutely no excuse for the way these buses are driven.
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 20:34   #11355
BHPian

Wait for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks