Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2018, 10:48   #10411
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Saw this incident in Goa and captured it on my dashcam. Pedestrian saw a car driving on the wrong side. He stood in it's path and asked him to reverse and drive on the correct side. Driver refused and instead nudged the pedestrian. This infuriated the pedestrian who just vandalised the car:
I don't think you can call it vandalism by the pedestrian. He was right in venting his anger against such idiotic drivers who think the rules don't apply to them.
speedmiester is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 10:48   #10412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Saw this incident in Goa and captured it on my dashcam.
Was in Goa last week for 4 days and I feel sorry to say that I saw way too many cars from Bangalore driven in this manner while everyone else including local cabs maintained composure. I noticed this Swift too is KA04?

These were typical scenes when I passed the gridlocked areas around the Mandovi Bridge or even around Calangute where we had pulled over and waited for the ladies to shop while I watched so many idiots indulging in typical behavior that one exhibits on daily basis here.

I was dying to get back to my place of stay in South Goa that day after watching all this - Incessant honking, cutting lanes, super bad parking (to buy liquor or enquire for hotels), reversing on narrow road when one could easily drive a little bit ahead and make a safe U-Turn without blocking traffic.

I returned on Saturday and even on this day, while 20-30 cars crawled patiently due to thick traffic in both directions, there were quite a few cars on regular occasions that would appear out of nowhere on your ORVM and when finding oncoming traffic would neatly turn their left indicators on to sneak in .

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd October 2018 at 11:02.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 11:06   #10413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Was in Goa last week for 4 days and I feel sorry to say that I saw way too many cars from Bangalore driven in this manner while everyone else including local cabs maintained composure. I noticed this Swift to is KA04?
Nice catch Parag. The KA XX plates on our cars are becoming a major source of embarrassment these days every time we drive out of BLR. The scariest moments and most irritating times are on ghat roads, where one idiot jumps the queue of vehicles and blocks both side movement like it's some city signal.
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 11:08   #10414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw this incident in Goa and captured it on my dashcam. Pedestrian saw a car driving on the wrong side. He stood in it's path and asked him to reverse and drive on the correct side. Driver refused and instead nudged the pedestrian. This infuriated the pedestrian who just vandalised the car:
WOW! How much time did that car save by doing that

Would not really call it vandalism as he was provoked by getting nudged which the car driver had no right to do. Did the pedestrian have the right to stop the car though? Ah well
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 11:42   #10415
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I was just surfing through Youtube and I came across the videos of this guy called Faisal Khan, lives in Mumbai I guess, Navi Mumbai to be precise as most of his videos are from Palm Beach Road and I am surprised that he is not behind bars yet.

Everyone of his test is about doing unmentionable speeds on Palm Beach road (which has people riding and driving at less than half his speed) or on the Mumbai Pune Expressway and gleefully posting it online so that people would ape and probably have a crash.

There was no other thread I could post this onto so ended up posting it here.
Palm beach road is notorious for speeding vehicles.

I used to stay in one of the buildings overlooking PBR and the super-bike riders there were a menace.
Especially late in the night, post 2-3 AM you can hear them ripping their bikes/cars down the road, and it used to really hamper my sleep.

And, coming to Faisal Khan. "OH MY GOD" his voice. I know its my personal opinion but I can't bear to watch more than a minute of his videos thanks to that extremely annoying voice of his.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd October 2018 at 11:46. Reason: Typo
Turrrb0 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:03   #10416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Would not really call it vandalism as he was provoked by getting nudged which the car driver had no right to do. Did the pedestrian have the right to stop the car though? Ah well
Ethically, the pedestrian did the right thing. The only thing evil needs to succeed is inaction on the part of good men (imagine hearing that in Morgan Freeman's Hollywood God voice). How else has our society degenerated to this level?

Practically, if he'd done the same with a TN registered vehicle, he could've become roadkill.

Legally, he should've probably recorded the event and shared it with the cops.

Finally though, as long as traffic offences don't invite consequences (for the driving license, for one's insurance premiums etc.), the legal route is futile. Which is why he meted out instant karma. Isn't that why mobs do their thing in our country? There's little faith in the system, but there are a few who don't want to stand by either, while we go to the dogs.

Last edited by locusjag : 22nd October 2018 at 12:05.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:04   #10417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw this incident in Goa and captured it on my dashcam. Pedestrian saw a car driving on the wrong side. He stood in it's path and asked him to reverse and drive on the correct side. Driver refused and instead nudged the pedestrian. This infuriated the pedestrian who just vandalised the car
The Swift guy was an in absolute idiot, should have reversed, accepted his mistake and moved on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Palm beach road is notorious for speeding vehicles.

I used to stay in one of the buildings overlooking PBR and the super-bike riders there were a menace.
Especially late in the night, post 2-3 AM you can hear them ripping their bikes/cars down the road, and it used to really hamper my sleep.

And, coming to Faisal Khan. "OH MY GOD" his voice. I know its my personal opinion but I can't bear to watch more than a minute of his videos thanks to that extremely annoying voice of his.
I know right, there should be speed cameras on Palm Beach road like they have put it up on the freeway and Bandra reclamation, people like him and his likes won't be endangering anyone there at least then

Last edited by humyum : 22nd October 2018 at 12:28.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 13:09   #10418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

I know right, there should be speed cameras on Palm Beach road like they have put it up on the freeway and Bandra reclamation, people like him and his likes won't be endangering anyone there at least then
Not to mention I have witnessed 2 (!!!) accidents while I was casually enjoying the beautiful view from the balcony, and heard a few more crashes happen while sitting inside my house!

Even the rain doesn't deter these idiots.

I feel they should have cops stationed there with speed guns and spot-fine/ arrest those fools then and there.
Old 22nd October 2018, 13:50   #10419
BHPian

Quote:
Not to mention I have witnessed 2 (!!!) accidents while I was casually enjoying the beautiful view from the balcony, and heard a few more crashes happen while sitting inside my house!

Even the rain doesn't deter these idiots.

I feel they should have cops stationed there with speed guns and spot-fine/ arrest those fools then and there.
This brings back the notorious question:
Does it make sense to install speed breakers/humps on roads like Palm Beach, ORR in Hyderabad and similar roads?

Sure enough, they will curb over speeding, but at the cost of daily, sensible commuter's peaceful drive. Do some of these idiots really tip the scales in favour of installation of speed breakers?
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 14:39   #10420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Does it make sense to install speed breakers/humps on roads like Palm Beach, ORR in Hyderabad and similar roads? Sure enough, they will curb over speeding, but at the cost of daily, sensible commuter's peaceful drive.
Very true. There's a famous saying: "This is why we can't have nice things".

And it applies perfectly to the constant tug of war that occurs on roads - A) good roads are built, B) some idiots abuse it and cause harm, C) traffic calming measures are brought in that affects all drivers.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 15:37   #10421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Isn't that why mobs do their thing in our country? There's little faith in the system, but there are a few who don't want to stand by either, while we go to the dogs.
Perfect conclusion. KUDOS. Even cops say the same. If we public handle crooks humanely, they are surprised and tell the crook that his lucky stars have protected him that day.

There is little our system can do and even a lawyer will agree to it. The Lok Adalat Court is a classical example. Absolute pandemonium, and when both parties come to a mutual conclusion, order is signed.

Such is the state of this nation.
Old 22nd October 2018, 16:24   #10422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This infuriated the pedestrian who just vandalised the car:
Vandalised is a bit strong, he only hit it a few times. Peace loving local fellow I guess; even their fury is relatively calm.

I would not have been surprised to see someone just pick up a stone and introduce it to the windscreen or metal. Or perhaps take a key and stand next to the left hand side of the car. I should stop watching those road rage videos

During my recent visit to Goa, I did encounter a few cars who did not follow any discipline; lane or otherwise. I almost felt like I was in Pune and driving alongside cabs. Looks like Bangalore is not different either.
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 16:40   #10423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
This brings back the notorious question:
Does it make sense to install speed breakers/humps on roads like Palm Beach, ORR in Hyderabad and similar roads?

Sure enough, they will curb over speeding, but at the cost of daily, sensible commuter's peaceful drive. Do some of these idiots really tip the scales in favour of installation of speed breakers?
The best option in my opinion would be to install speed/motion sensors/cameras at every signal on PBR and instead of just catching the speed at that moment, it should calculate the average speed across all cameras/sensors.
This would curb any and all speeding without needing speed breakers, and also deter those who carefully slow down only before coming in the sensor's range.

If I'm not wrong this is how they catch over-speeders on the Eastern Freeway(a beautiful road with no bikers and commercial vehicles, pure bliss), right?
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 19:39   #10424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The best option in my opinion would be to install speed/motion sensors/cameras at every signal on PBR and instead of just catching the speed at that moment, it should calculate the average speed across all cameras/sensors. ... ... ...
Very effective, and very scary. Such systems have been in place on some UK roads for quite a few years, maybe even a couple of decades. As you know you are being judged on your average speed, it causes one to continually, consciously, remain below the nominal speed limit. Quite stressful!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 21:08   #10425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Very effective, and very scary. Such systems have been in place on some UK roads for quite a few years, maybe even a couple of decades. As you know you are being judged on your average speed, it causes one to continually, consciously, remain below the nominal speed limit. Quite stressful!
Of course, you are absolutely right!
Constantly peering at your speedo instead of at whats ahead of you is equally dangerous, because many accidents occur within the blink of an eye.

I think additionally, on top of the average speed rule. It is important to have appropriate speed limits as well!

Also while enforcing the rule properly maybe they should give reasonable leeway to those who happen to overshoot.
For eg,
  • On a road with a 90 km/h speed limit, do not warn/fine those caught driving up to say 110 km/h.
  • 3 warnings for those caught between 110-120 km/h.
  • Fine those between 120-140 km/h, with exponentially increasing rates for the fines up to 160 km/h.
  • Outright impound or suspend the DL of those caught between 160-180 km/h.
  • Finally arrest and jail those caught driving anywhere above that.

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 22nd October 2018 at 21:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks