Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2018, 09:15   #10291
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
If anyone wondering what exactly happened at Hinjewadi Shivaji Chowk to Infosys Ph-I, which resulted in traffic crawling on Tuesday evening which is normally free flowing at evenings: Meet the legend who did it all.
I faced similar situation in June 2016. I was driving my brother's Thar (in position of this bus) and two guys in a Swift (in position of this lady). Location was Okhla-Govindpuri road in Delhi. I was going towards Govindpuri from Okhla, and there was heavy jam on opposite side.

This smart guy came on my side, driving opposite to the flow of traffic. Flashing his headlights and honking, he drove towards me in the innermost lane expecting I'll give way, however I couldn't as there was traffic in my adjacent lanes as well. As we came almost bumper to bumper and stopped, he took his head out and blurted some expletives.

I lost my cool that very moment and inched the Thar towards him. At first he was shocked and then tried to play smart by reversing and trying to go around me. I didn't let that happen and moved forward almost at his bumper. Some more expletives came my way and he tried to reverse fast and go around me. I moved at similar pace towards him again blocking him. He understood my intentions and drove in reverse at full throttle with me closing on him.

We reached the next crossing where he was duly greeted by traffic cops on duty. I narrated the incident to the cops. That idiot didn't had even a single document on him and was fined handsomely including some sections for rash/ dangerous driving.

I knew I too was wrong in attempting such a thing as situation might have escalated any moment, but I simply lost my mind that time.
AutoNoob is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 13:46   #10292
BHPian

Came across this video a few minutes before. At 2:43 the motorbiker does an overtaking manoeuvre behind an auto rickshaw from the fastlane, and clings up to an Etios Liva which was entering into the middle lane.

As opposed to Vlogger’s logic, I strongly believe that he’s more at fault. The Liva ofcourse didn’t have its indicator on, but I guess that wouldn’t have made the situation any different.

What say, bhp’ians.?

E = mc² is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 14:15   #10293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc² View Post
What say, bhp’ians.?
  1. The Cabbie gave the first hint - He quickly changed his lanes
  2. The Liva too was at an angle when it becomes visible first ; Hint that it was heading towards the driving/fast lane
  3. Apart from this there was an obstacle on the left side of the Liva that was also visible and was perhaps the first hint where one would slow down expecting the Liva to move out of its lane

Easy to say when typing but even if one watches the video again, its pretty much clear.

The Liva is certainly at fault but we forget something basic here - The behavior of drivers/riders in miscellaneous traffic. It is always erratic with a lot of unexpected moves. The stretch itself had too many wrong side drivers as seen from the beginning of the video. That is a very good indicator of what to anticipate!

Alas, a lot can be written about written rules but what would have avoided this is called anticipation and those who appeared in cameo roles as wrong side drivers was perhaps the best indication that the Hero would be worse and it was certainly behind the wheel of the Liva but the biker simply failed to anticipate that.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 16:53   #10294
Team-BHP Support

At the 5:30 odd seconds the biker tells the cops that he was overtaking when he hit the car.

Overtaking from the left hand side is almost always a bad idea.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 17:04   #10295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
At the 5:30 odd seconds the biker tells the cops that he was overtaking when he hit the car.

Overtaking from the left hand side is almost always a bad idea.
True that.

Few seconds earlier to the incident, the Liva is visible in biker's cam and anyone can anticipate the car to join the lane. By overtaking without keeping enough visibility (distance between bike and WagonR), the biker was asking for trouble anyways.
Old 17th August 2018, 18:08   #10296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Saw an article in TOI
Honestly, from bottom of my heart thanks a ton for posting this image. Looks at a decent speed too.

I am not sure if I can convey my message in right way, without hurting someone. I will try my best to avoid it & convey my message properly.

These celebrities are the one's who are religiously followed (Virat Kohli's Beard is an example) via WA, Twitter, FB, TV etc. And, this is what they are teaching to their followers.

To put my point (read : spill out my frustration) on what we are following, appreciating or imitating these days:

We have had two kinds of movies released off late: All based on real life incedences >
Type One : Parmanu & Surma.
Type Two : Sanju (Don't want to hurt anyone who admired this piece of art).

We all know what the earnings of both types of movies are, clearly shows what we (not all) are following & appreciating. Therefore, I am sure to find someone on the accidents thread imitating this, soon.

Please pardon me if this hurts anyone.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 17th August 2018 at 18:11.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 18:28   #10297
BHPian

Just now while coming home from office saw a 10 year old boy standing in the car with his head out of sunroof. The car was a Black Mercedes E class driven very rash. I just wonder what would happen to that boy if the driver applies urgent brakes. I simply don't understand how people can be so careless about their own kids.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th August 2018 at 22:22. Reason: Typo.
Ketan T is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 22:21   #10298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
Just now while coming home from office saw a 10 year old boy standing in the car with his head out of sunroof. The car was a Black Mercedes E class driven very rash. I just wonder what would happen to that boy if the driver applies urgent brakes. I simply don't understand how people can be so careless about their own kids.
If he applies sudden brakes and the child gets injured the following will get blamed:
The vehicle that caused him to brake suddenly
The red light or road structure that caused him to brake suddenly.
That's the way they think.
Eg. I was driving in x road when a chicken crossed the road at a pedestrian crossing and I was forced to brake. My son fell off the sunroof and was grievously injured. The government has failed miserably in controlling domestic animals onto the road. The chicken owner needs to take responsibility and should be jailed. Please share this to all your friends so you are all aware of the chicken problems the authorities have created.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 17th August 2018 at 22:45. Reason: Quoted post edited. Typo fixed
BenjiRoss is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 22:46   #10299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
If -----snip----have created.
And we'll have a certain TV personality screaming out that the nation wanted to know why the chicken crossed the road. The chicken will be up on the panel, trying to get a cluck in, but he'll be screamed over by the cows and the buffaloes who will profess the benefits of squatting in the middle of the road as compared to the liberal behavior of crossing.

Jokes apart, there are a number of people to whom I've pointed out the dangers associated with kids in the front seats, or sticking their heads out of the sunroof etc. The most common response is "but I'm driving slowly and carefully". Well, the one who'll run into you will not be.

The assumption that accidents happen to others is the one that results in a tragedy where it could have only been a monetary loss. More money than sense, I suppose.

Last edited by mayankk : 17th August 2018 at 22:50.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 08:38   #10300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc² View Post
What say, bhp’ians.?
Honestly, I would say the rider is lucky to get away without any serious injury or paying the price for the car's repairs and could defend himself out of the situation. On any other day, ten to one the rider would have been held at fault by someone who watched the footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I will never understand why people think its acceptable to cut a lane just because there is maybe one car less in the adjacent one.
A pretty common sight at the Nanakramguda exit when the toll gates are packed, esp. on monday & tuesday mornings. Whats worse? Instead of ORVM many keep peeking into the IRVM during sudden lane change.

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th August 2018 at 08:50. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 21st August 2018, 12:45   #10301
Senior - BHPian

So I was stuck in this jam today which was made worse by wrong side drivers. We Indian drivers consider it our birth right to barge into opposite direction lanes if our lanes are blocked

Look at those cars scurrying back into proper lane on spotting the bus.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-cab0d49d63a44cc98608843a2ac7dab1.jpeg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-ca847e201c594104a5f7b1bff3311ad0.jpeg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-6991c096a4fa44bf8160e0a66bf85635.jpeg  

AkMar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 15:44   #10302
BHPian

I am planning to get a print out of this and put on my car's rear glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1534846433218.jpg  

Ketan T is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 20:07   #10303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
So I was stuck in this jam today which was made worse by wrong side drivers. We Indian drivers consider it our birth right to barge into opposite direction lanes if our lanes are blocked

Look at those cars scurrying back into proper lane on spotting the bus.
I see in the last picture that you too are not in your lane as well. Case of Pot calling the Kettle black?
Old 21st August 2018, 20:41   #10304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
I see in the last picture that you too are not in your lane as well. Case of Pot calling the Kettle black?

Doesn't look like that. It appears the Ciaz is trying to cut the line by going over the white double lines and the OP is trying to push him back in the right lane...
shifu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 12:23   #10305
BHPian

“Oh, there’s a white guy doing wheelies on public roads. Let’s go confront him. It doesn’t even matter if I don’t have a helmet, as long as I got my Khakis on”

E = mc² is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks