Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2018, 09:25   #10261
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
I am not familiar enough with Kochi, but looks like the NH bypass?
That's possibly the worst section to try out that stunt. That's in front of Lulu Mall, Edappally. Traffic from the mall and NH-47 merge onto to road after those barricades (as seen in the beginning of the video).
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 10:04   #10262
BHPian

Quote:
Yes sir, it's Edappally after the signal and the flyover (the scooter passes The Lulu Mall and The Marriott). Must be early in the morning as there are cops everywhere on the road during the day.
Just suspending the license isn't enough. He should be booked. Imagine what all could've happened if something went wrong ! And judging by the video the scooter seemed to be doing decent speed. When will people learn?
kraken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 10:26   #10263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Five year old given control of scooter, dad's license suspended for 1 year...
Saw it in the news and face-palmed on the level of ignorance shown.

And, as per the report, the father has denied any wrong doing and says that this video was doctored!!!
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 11:04   #10264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Five year old given control of scooter, dad's license suspended for 1 year.

Although the report is in malayalam, the video is self-explanatory:

Attachment 1785318

https://www.mathrubhumi.com/news/ker...ther-1.3017023

NH i reckon. They pass by Lulu Mall on the left. Video went rampant across social media and netizens sent it to the cops and they took action.
deathwalkr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 11:13   #10265
BHPian

On my way back from Kerala the past Sunday, the busy Krishnagiri-Hosur stretch was made busier by a spike in truck traffic (strike was lifted the night before). I was making my way through and was reasonably quick myself (~100 kph) given the conditions. Out of the blue, a quick glance in the rear view showed a car, still at a distance, flashing lights continuously. It appeared fast, so I decided to stay where I was and let him pass. He whizzed past at such an insane speed and at the next instant disappeared around a bend way ahead, this after blitzing a bunch of trucks on all lanes, tractors, slower cars etc. I felt I was at standstill and he sped by at around 60 - 80 kmph (just an academic estimate) which puts him actually over 160 - 180 kmph or maybe even more. All I could make out was it was a small hatchback, maybe a Polo or Figo or some such.

I am still wondering if he is a bad driver or an excellent one!

What skills must he (or maybe she) have to do such speeds through moderately heavy traffic - depth perception, excellent estimate of how fast others are travelling, wonderful judgement of even the slightest change in direction of vehicles ahead, trust in the almighty??? Or did he telepathically convey to everyone ahead to just freeze wherever they were so as not to impede!

Though I don't aspire to emulate, I am still left wondering how!
Mnjdnght is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 12:15   #10266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwagh View Post
[url]

What skills must he (or maybe she) have to do such speeds through moderately heavy traffic - depth perception, excellent estimate of how fast others are travelling, wonderful judgement of even the slightest change in direction of vehicles ahead, trust in the almighty??? Or did he telepathically convey to everyone ahead to just freeze wherever they were so as not to impede!

Though I don't aspire to emulate, I am still left wondering how!
Wide field of view, Perception of dept, Judgement of speed, Quick reaction time, Nerves cool as a cucumber.

Could've been a Polo GT/GTi ?
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 12:21   #10267
BHPian

Quote:
Five year old given control of scooter, dad's license suspended for 1 year.

It appears he was on his way from Kakkanad to Alwaye. That chap instead getting his licence suspended, should be charged for criminal negligence, and sent behind bars. Some slight slip could have landed the whole family in some serious situation. God help such morons who do this for cheap thrills.
sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 12:32   #10268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
This is one of my pet-peeves, and I consider people who drive/ride their cars/bikes this way as bad drivers ! (hope this issue is not already brought to attention by fellow BHPians in this post!)

Scenario: Taking turns from main roads to sub roads, drivers instead of taking a wide trajectory take the easy shortcut and cut across the road hampering the oncoming traffic from other side.

Have made a crude drawing of the above scenario. Firmly believe the riders should take the green path shown and not inconvenience others by following the red one!
You're absolutely right. The red arrow indicates someone who's 'cutting corners'. Not a good driving habit, and can be dangerous especially in India where people have no concept of right of way.
Old 31st July 2018, 15:15   #10269
BHPian

The Police have issued an advisory to youngsters from taking up the Kiki challenge. What surprises me is that there are people who are willing to jump out of moving vehicles and dance and then jump back in. What escapes these people is common sense. If anyone does a risk analysis, one would not do this crazy stunt. It is a phenomena which common to youngsters all over the world, which just goes to prove that everyone is the same all over.

Mods : I am not sure where to post this, kindly do needfull.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 16:42   #10270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
The Police have issued an advisory to youngsters from taking up the Kiki challenge. What surprises me is that there are people who are willing to jump out of moving vehicles and dance and then jump back in. What escapes these people is common sense. If anyone does a risk analysis, one would not do this crazy stunt. It is a phenomena which common to youngsters all over the world, which just goes to prove that everyone is the same all over.

True, that they are having a lot of accidents.
BUT, they are not really driving when they are having these, are they?

Everybody wants their 15 seconds of fame, sometimes lesser. This is just the latest in a long line of progressively stupid ways.
Who knew that "Idiocracy" would become a documentary?
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 08:43   #10271
BHPian

Quote:

In Bengaluru, it would really be challenging. There is no space to even open the car door in the traffic clogged roads.
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 08:53   #10272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
In Bengaluru, it would really be challenging. There is no space to even open the car door in the traffic clogged roads.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - George Carlin.

We have an abundance of both - stupid people, and large groups. And, this thread already has over 10000 posts, Bangalore traffic rants thread crossed 15000. Quod Erat Demonstrandum
silversteed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 17:17   #10273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
it's really scary, the way he is coming head on, in the wrong lane. I really wonder, what was he thinking?
Yeah it was scary. At that time, I thought he was having too much speed to control himself from going back inside. Now when I see the video again, he did have the opportunity to fix his error but didn't. Either lack of judgement or just he was plain stupid and wanted to create a near miss scenario.
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:10   #10274
BHPian

I had a close call yesterday, when a complete idiot cuts in from a side road and just sped away. I was just thankful nothing happened.

sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:20   #10275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a close call yesterday, when a complete idiot cuts in from a side road and just sped away. I was just thankful nothing happened.
Oh man!

Good that you were driving sedately [prior bad experience?]. I remember as a kid, there used to be signs at T junctions like that where it said stop, look, go. For some reason that stuck in my head.

Problem is, i do it and the person behind me starts honking away to glory/decides to overtake me and then come directly in front of me blocking me off. Such craziness. Even bikers need to realize they need to do it as well.
deathwalkr is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks