Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2018, 08:07   #10096
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

This two wheeler rider was supposedly "touched" by a Honda Dio and decides to park his bike in the middle blocking the entire road. No helmet and even with my right indicator put well in advance, decides to overtake from the right. A huge pile of traffic is caused in the few minutes of him getting down and walking towards the Dio to fight.
A passer by just pushes the vehicle aside to make way for us while I go to bring him back. I am not sure if I am allowed to publicly shame him but his Reg. Number is KA05EJ4050.
The dash cam in my car captures the entire scene till the time I switch off the car to get out. My dad is seen gesturing him to move the bike but he decides to pick the fight with the other person. You can see the fear in him the moment he closes his eyes while asking us to wait. I have muted the audio as only screams can be heard.

nikhn is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 08:33   #10097
BHPian

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but high beam driving is bad. Very Bad. Almost hit a 2 wheeler after a car on high beams almost came on me towards the end of the video.

get2bid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 11:21   #10098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but high beam driving is bad. Very Bad. Almost hit a 2 wheeler after a car on high beams almost came on me towards the end of the video.
Ouch. Just watching that video gave me a headache. I can imagine how you must have felt.

I see a car's rear light in front of me, low beam. I see cars coming up on the opposite lane, low beam.

No one in front, high beam
No one on the opposite lane, high beam.

Is that so hard?
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 15:04   #10099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I see a car's rear light in front of me, low beam. I see cars coming up on the opposite lane, low beam.

No one in front, high beam
No one on the opposite lane, high beam.

Is that so hard?
Apparently it is very hard to switch.

Worst part, if you notice, some of the cars dipped their lights when I flashed. But switched back to high beam almost immediately.

Not sure what they were trying to do, but I have seen this behaviour more than once.

Driver on the opposite side is coming with high beams, I am on low beam. Seeing the high beam, I flash once to get their attention to dip. They acknowledge by switching to low beams. I breathe a sigh of releif. But even before the sigh is completed, the driver switches back to high.

Not sure what the cure is, but this is totally bad driving. Can get someone killed.
get2bid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 21:45   #10100
BHPian

This time, another wonderful driver who jumps the signal and rams into a two wheeler coming from the other side. The XUV 500 was being chauffeur driven with a "well-educated" gentleman sitting in the rear passenger seat and felt it was ok to jump a signal just to save 2 minutes of waiting time. There was well enough time to stop the car within the line. Trying to save 2 minutes ended up damaging his car and wasting his precious time as well.
I was planning to stop just to ask if the two wheeler needed any video evidence but my father who was with me refused to allow me to stop, citing troubles we would face. So ended up driving away.

Last edited by nikhn : 26th April 2018 at 21:48. Reason: Additional info
nikhn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 09:30   #10101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Almost hit a 2 wheeler after a car on high beams almost came on me towards the end of the video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Ouch. Just watching that video gave me a headache.
During the first few weeks after I got my driving license, I was extremely bothered with these high beams. During a casual talk on this topic, a taxi driver passed on his words of wisdom to me - never ever look at the oncoming vehicles' headlights - it will make you blind as a bat. Instead, try to concentrate on the edge of your side of the road and . Your eyes won't be as strained as it would be otherwise, and you can notice people and objects fairly well, provided you are driving at sane speeds. This comes with practice, as it's quite an uphill task to fight your instincts and look away from the blinding beams. It helps
Quote:
...Can get someone killed.
People have got killed. There was a WhatsApp/FB msg that was doing rounds that talked about an accident that happened because the high beams blinded the driver of a Dzire or Swift and he ended up crashing into a wall instead of taking the gentle curve
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 15:01   #10102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
..Instead, try to concentrate on the edge of your side of the road and . Your eyes won't be as strained as it would be otherwise, and you can notice people and objects fairly well, provided you are driving at sane speeds. This comes with practice, as it's quite an uphill task to fight your instincts and look away from the blinding beams.. It helps
I regularly do this and helps in most of the cases. Problem is you also need to watch for morons who tend to drift towards you with their high beams on.
If you notice towards the end of the video, just before the 2 wheeler actually becomes visible, the vehicle from the opposite side is slowly drifting towards me almost creating a head-on collision. Now, had I been looking only at the edge of the road on my side, there would be a high possibility of a collision.

I am not sure if there is a foolproof way to avoid being distracted by the high beams but this is definitely something we can try but with a hint of caution.
Old 30th April 2018, 16:22   #10103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
So ended up driving away.
Even at being risk of my post being deleted for a single liner comment :
Commendable job & Hats off to you for stopping at the signal & well behind the Zebra Crossing.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 16:58   #10104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
This two wheeler rider was supposedly "touched" by a Honda Dio and decides to park his bike in the middle blocking the entire road.
It is ridiculous what sense of entitlement morons have these days on the streets. Firstly, he is riding way into the oncoming lane. He also seems to have swerved more into the oncoming traffic to avoid your vehicle turning right. If anything, the Dio rider should have right of shouting rather than this idiot

Nowadays, people seem to pick up fights more for their ego massage than for anything else. Pure oneupmanship attempts
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 23:09   #10105
Senior - BHPian

Came across a bad driver yesterday.

The white i20 was tailgating aggressively. Overtook me and a few other cars, almost sideswiping the Santro in the process!

Thank god nothing happened!

sohail99 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 23:44   #10106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Came across a bad driver yesterday.

The white i20 was tailgating aggressively. Overtook me and a few other cars, almost sideswiping the Santro in the process!

Thank god nothing happened!
Whoa!! That was aggressive!

Intrigued by the note on your dashboard. Does it say 'If parked wrongly, please call <masked number>'?
sanjaykk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2018, 23:45   #10107
BHPian

Looks like a new driver.

Old 30th April 2018, 23:52   #10108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Whoa!! That was aggressive!

Intrigued by the note on your dashboard. Does it say 'If parked wrongly, please call <masked number>'?
Yea, you can even see that towards the end of the video, the i20 put its flasher's on and pulled over to the left shoulder of the road. I wonder if he/she too was shocked by the stunt that they just pulled.

- Yes, have the same note on my rear parcel tray. Blurred while editing.
It gives me mental peace that in case I park in someone else's spot, they can call me instead of 'vandalizing' the car.(as is the trend here, unfortunately)
sohail99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 22:35   #10109
BHPian

Some bad drivers caught on cam while on a recent Cochin-Coimbatore trip:

Biker coming down the wrong side:

Impatient guy cuts me off. Towards the end of the video you can see he's caught up at a traffic light just in front of me!

Dangerous overtaking:

Guy just parked on the road! No explanations!

Endy parked on the right lane:

After overtaking it, I noticed that both the tyres on the right side were flat. How did that happen? Still he could have driven it to the left most lane and parked it there.

Now this is a dangerous trend I've seen recently. People start to move just before the traffic light goes green. Couple that with the now usual trend of vehicles crossing the signal a few seconds after it goes red, I think this is a recipe for disaster.

GeneralJazz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2018, 23:43   #10110

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Some bad drivers caught on cam while on a recent Cochin-Coimbatore trip:
Wow , for a moment I thought you captured my car, figo, but mine is Bangalore registered.(I too pulled a similar stunt while overtaking swift near tirchy bypass) And I was also traveling from Bangalore to Trivandrum on same day almost same time.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd May 2018 at 00:17. Reason: removed embedded videos.
bravo_romeo is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed