Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2016, 15:02   #8911
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Yes this is the Bakery flyover. And you are right there is no justification to what the good doctor has done.

What i don't understand is that there are multiple places below the flyover to cut across but still he persisted in coming up the one way and then taking the u turn there.

After the u turn, that's what he did. Went ahead put on his right indicator and proceeded to cut across to the other side below the flyover. Just boggles the mind is all.
Some people are like Dory, -short term memory loss. They forget where they are going especially when they have to take turns at places like this, and, some people have the habit of changing decisions when they are half way done taking the turn much to the astonishment of fellow road users.
We almost t-boned one such guy at the signal near Sunny Diamonds, Pattom. He was on the left lane and we were on the middle lane as we had to go straight. This guy had his left turn signal on for about 15 seconds when he suddenly changed his mind and turned right, cutting us off.

Why cant they plan their route before starting.
--gKrish-- is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 15:04   #8912
BHPian

Quote:
Yes this is the Bakery flyover. And you are right there is no justification to what the good doctor has done.
This spot is one of the most accident prone areas in Trivandrum city with the Transport buses entering the fly over from the Bus stop. Lots of hand signal, indicators, begging and praying helps if you want to enter the left most road

@gkrish : I ride to my Office daily through the railway over bridge at Uppilamood. People drive into the maze and all of a sudden they don't know which way to go. They brake and swerve and cause all types of havoc with following traffic. My motorcycle was rear ended twice in this area as I had to brake for vehicles who went dead stop in front of me in a jiffy.

Last edited by adrian : 24th December 2016 at 15:11.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 16:03   #8913
Senior - BHPian

It was couple of days back when i saw a married couple, Wife (Using her cellphone) And her husband driving while holding a small child in his one hand and on his one leg! I can easily say the child would be not more than 6 months old, What was more shocking to see was he was driving like this from the start of worli till i again saw them on the sea link ! The car was a old skoda laura and i was just out of words, How ignorant can people be? Do they know what even an emergency braking would do to the kid? Forget about what happens if the airbag pops out!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 16:11   #8914
Senior - BHPian

Elsewhere they would have their kids taken away from them and they would have faced criminal procedures...here though :( we can only shake our head and carry on. Imagine trying to tell them what they are doing is wrong! They would bring down their rage on us.
Old 24th December 2016, 16:30   #8915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Elsewhere they would have their kids taken away from them and they would have faced criminal procedures...here though :( we can only shake our head and carry on. Imagine trying to tell them what they are doing is wrong! They would bring down their rage on us.
I actually though about trying to get their attention and tell them what they are doing is completely idiotic, But yeah like you said, They would probably get furious about it and react and since i was with my family, I did not want to create any scene.
Old 24th December 2016, 22:10   #8916
BHPian

More a rant in anguish than anything.

Have just spent two excruciatingly painful days in the holy city of Varanasi.

There is nothing holy about the traffic here. The roads are in pathetic shape in the inner city areas. The constant honking with loud and shrill horns is to be heard to be believed. My phone was measuring 75 to 85 db all the time. The less said about driving etiquettes the better.

I leave with bad memories and a headache. If anything our PM needs to do a surgical strike on horns for sure, now that he's in the mood to do radical things. And what better place to start than his own constituency?

Oh, but I'm reminded of some Punjab towns as well, how about Ludhiana?
LithiumSunset is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 19:43   #8917
Senior - BHPian

Was amazed to see an Auto use indicators but saddened to see not many really bother about it.

The scooter who came onto the wrong side instead of letting the auto turn, the cars who didn't let him turn and the dumass bus driver who did not let him turn, who then realized he had nowhere to go unless the auto moves and then the scooter rider with a deathwish pops up barely avoiding getting sandwiched between my car and the bus and then finally the poor auto gets to turn.

Next time the auto dude won't even bother with such things as he will feel what is the point :(
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2016, 01:25   #8918
BHPian

1. Wrong U-Turn
2. 2 wheelers cutting between the cars
3. Left the turn indicators on. While the left indicator is blinking, you take the right turn.
4. Driving/riding through one way
5. Tailgating bumper to bumper
rvd8732 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2016, 08:20   #8919
BHPian

Quote:
https://Youtu.be/77VgSzVW4kM

Was amazed to see an Auto use indicators but saddened to see not many really bother about it.

The scooter who came onto the wrong side instead of letting the auto turn, the cars who didn't let him turn and the dumass bus driver who did not let him turn, who then realized he had nowhere to go unless the auto moves and then the scooter rider with a deathwish pops up barely avoiding getting sandwiched between my car and the bus and then finally the poor auto gets to turn.

Next time the auto dude won't even bother with such things as he will feel what is the point :(
Typical scenario in front of my office daily.

Two wheelers/private drivers don't care even if you switch on the indicators and wait. Mostly professional drivers (Ksrtc/Kurtc/NP truck drivers etc) shows some consideration.
ontheroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 08:06   #8920
Distinguished - BHPian

What is additionally, and very common, irresponsible driving behavior is to jump into right side -and opposing- lane to overtake queue of vehicles. As if all other drivers are morons who have stopped just for the heck of it.
Similar stupid behavior at right turn signals where most drivers try to jump the queue by taking the lane left and blocking the straight thru traffic.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 18:14   #8921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
What is additionally, and very common, irresponsible driving behavior is to jump into right side -and opposing- lane to overtake queue of vehicles. As if all other drivers are morons who have stopped just for the heck of it.
Similar stupid behavior at right turn signals where most drivers try to jump the queue by taking the lane left and blocking the straight thru traffic.
And the most common place where this happens is the railway level crossing. Was at one, near Roorkee yesterday (but isn't it is the same every where?). The gate had just closed and my car was the first one at the gate. Sure enough a car came up and stood next to me in the opposite lane. In the 15 odd minutes that we were there the chaos multiplied on both sides. Only two trains passed and the gate opened for all hell to break loose. It took ten minutes to get through, and obviously I wasn't the first one.

Now let's multiply this colossal waste of time by the number of level crossings.

What beats me is how people don't see that if they were just a little orderly and patient each one of the hundred odd vehicles that line up will get through in a shorter time.

The gatekeeper would also opened the boom if there was time between the trains. With the current behavior he can't take a chance.

I still remember the wonder of seeing half boom barriers in Europe 25 years ago.

Civility has indeed left this great nation.
LithiumSunset is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 09:15   #8922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
It was couple of days back when i saw a married couple, Wife (Using her cellphone) And her husband driving while holding a small child in his one hand and on his one leg!
Though the cell phone user was not driving, the mobile+driving menace is the single largest factor for moronic activity on our roads. And this is worsening with our quantum of time. Prior days: people would talk and drive. Now they actually stare at the screen in front, and drive. What about the traffic in front? Worst is: when they totally break the speed rhythm of the lane by hogging it at a much lesser pace. 90% of the stupidity I see, and then drive past = driver on mobile. Oblivious to the surroundings.

Quote:
Since people do not know when/how to use them, the naturally fail to understand their use. It is sad.
Old 2nd January 2017, 09:54   #8923
BHPian

Met two bikers with a death wish on my drive to Lepakshi yesterday.

1. Please see the top left of the video. I was a bit far away.

2. These guys put their lives square in my hands and the hands of the bus driver.
If the bus driver had decided to straight line the curve, or if I had been careless, meddling my HU, or speaking on the phone, these guys will be history by now.
bharat4ever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 10:10   #8924
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the anthem of bikers/scooterists/jaywalkers/autowallas in our nation :

We go where we seek
While on the road we never peek
We shall cut across every car
When they're around we're never too far
We cross where we like
Whether its a lane or a turnpike
We exist therefore we are
On lands that have stones, sand or tar
We never listen, don't honk
Its always your mistake when you klonk
We go where we seek
While on the road we never peek
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 10:37   #8925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
2. These guys put their lives square in my hands and the hands of the bus driver.
If the bus driver had decided to straight line the curve, or if I had been careless, meddling my HU, or speaking on the phone, these guys will be history by now.
video says its private.

first video was just plain carelessness and people forget just how easy it is to kill yourself on roads :(

news today about how a lady got her shawl entangled in the wheel of her two wheeler, fell on the road banged her helmetless head and promptly died leaving one young kid critically injured and one injured :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks