Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2016, 13:03   #8836
CGB
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Where: Perambalur toll, NH45.

What: Around 6:30PM, casually rolling in my City and nearing toll. An orange Baleno, ridden by a guy around 25, alone, overtakes me properly and nears the toll. I move to my designated toll lane and this stupid driver nears his lane and suddenly changes mind and swerves into my lane making me brake hard.

He didnt even bother to say sorry and made any indication. Furious, I overtook him and gave a look. He didnt even turn. With the LTD in my car, It hit my mind and I calmed down.

Morons like this should be bashed.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2016 at 16:10. Reason: corrected spelling errors
CGB is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd November 2016, 16:56   #8837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Also a sticker on a car doesn't necessarily mean it is being driven by a member. It could be a driver or a mechanic or even a friend. Reporting here definitely helps to educate and improve driving habits. I have sold my car but didn't remove the sticker 'Live To Drive', as many of my friends have appreciated it as a "good message". So if the new owner rash drives then whom you would blame?
As always, the driver should be blamed if he/she drives rashly, be it a member of this forum or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
To be honest: this is one of the reasons I do not carry the TBHP badge on my car. At times, it is literally impossible to be a law abiding driver on these Indian roads (specially NCR), and not follow the law of the jungle. Some examples being:

I feel embarrassed doing the above, and would no ways want someone to read the TBHP sticker on my vehicle.
Sorry to burst the bubble buddy, the perfect law abiding Indian driver is a myth .

We tends to show mostly the positive side via this forum, right. If I were you, I would still stick the TBHP badge and if someone genuinely finds me driving rashly and put it here. I will be happy to acknowledge it and will try to improve my driving and not to repeat similar mistake.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th November 2016 at 07:49. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 2nd November 2016, 18:39   #8838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Hi Prasanna, (With reference to video from 00:35)
From what limited experience I have and all the advice my dad has given me, I would like to say what you should avoid the left lane when you spot an entrance ramp. I am not saying what the lady did is right. She's an idiot.

When you encounter a highway ramp, my dad advises me to drive on the center or right lane. This is because, some entrance ramps have entrances blind to the driver-you may not be able to see small vehicles coming and joining the highway. And most people who drive from the ramp to the highway pretend that they are blind.

From what I've observed from all my driving, my dad is right when he tells me not to drive on the left lane when I see an entrance ramp. Life is easier when you don't have to negotiate the traffic merging onto the highway.

This case is mainly in India where the infrastructure is poor and the drivers are dumb.

In USA and most developed countries, the highway traffic has the right of way and you're given a merging lane (That ends some distance after the ramp) that is meant for you to match your speed to the and blend into the freeway. Sometimes, an extra lane is added to the freeway. In that case, you don't need to merge immediately.

Last edited by SDP : 8th November 2016 at 09:31. Reason: Removing video link from quoted post
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 21:58   #8839
BHPian

Rogue bikers somehow find their way to annoy me every time! They never fail to disappoint me.
Look at this fine example that i encountered this evening. A Pulsar rider thought that I can climb into my car with less than half feet gap. Even sticky notes on their speedometers won't change a thing, they'd throw that off and continue to park like this.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1478104097894.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 8th November 2016 at 09:30. Reason: image alignment
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:43   #8840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
At times, it is literally impossible to be a law abiding driver on these Indian roads (specially NCR), and not follow the law of the jungle.
Exactly, its important to understand that some of us, or even perhaps most of us here are trying our best to adhere to calm, organized and safe driving. I've been doing that well before I joined this place and one of the big reasons that made me join this forum is because of its dedication to not allowing discussions on speed or otherwise reckless manoeuvres, most other auto-forums end up becoming a measuring contest without such regulations.

In real world though, sometimes even the best of us lose it. I'm very particular about sticking to my lane, using indicators and keeping distance.. to most others though these concepts seem alien as they wave about from lane to lane, interfere in others path (which to me is the worst possible form of driving). Imagine a stranger trespassing into your home and using it for his own needs? That exactly what an errant driver does when cutting off other vehicles and that's when I lose it and fight back.

As few others have said just now, there is NO perfect driver.. member or otherwise. We just are trying in the end to co-operate, go our ways and do our work. Mankind isn't even close to the most evolved species as one'd hope to think. Sticker or not, we just need to change the way our country drives by setting an example.. there is no need to acknowledge a member in my view, just go about driving in such a manner that respect is earned automatically.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 09:57   #8841
BHPian

Introducing one of the many 'Jhansi chi Rani' in Pune.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1478233594.667325.jpg

Helmet for the scooter and scarf for the head!

I see such idiots daily.

Disclaimer: I was waiting got the signal to turn Green and with the engine stopped and Ebrake engaged

Last edited by freedom : 4th November 2016 at 10:03.
freedom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 16:48   #8842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Rogue bikers somehow find their way to annoy me every time! They never fail to disappoint me.
Look at this fine example that i encountered this evening. A Pulsar rider thought that I can climb into my car with less than half feet gap. Even sticky notes on their speedometers won't change a thing, they'd throw that off and continue to park like this.Attachment 1572950
Such Idiots are Very common these days. Best thing to do would be to kick the bike & make it fall on ground. The Leaking Petrol will give a lasting impression on that owner when he comes back. He will definitely be knowing his mistake.

I have seen some mid aged persons doing this. If they spot a Bike standing on the road blocking vehicle movement, they stop after the backside is clear & free from oncoming vehicles. They roll the Windows down, slightly lean towards left side & push the handle there by knocking the bike down. I don't know whether the Person is Good or Bad, but that action certainly is good IMO.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 17:07   #8843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Such Idiots are Very common these days. Best thing to do would be to kick the bike & make it fall on ground. The Leaking Petrol will give a lasting impression on that owner when he comes back. He will definitely be knowing his mistake.

I have seen some mid aged persons doing this. If they spot a Bike standing on the road blocking vehicle movement, they stop after the backside is clear & free from oncoming vehicles. They roll the Windows down, slightly lean towards left side & push the handle there by knocking the bike down. I don't know whether the Person is Good or Bad, but that action certainly is good IMO.
Haha, that's what everyone would wanna do. But, that doesn't make us any better than them.

What I did was, park the bike ON the road and left it for the dead. Worst thing is that, these guys keep the side lock on and the scope of moving it around isn't much. And these guys are such a pain even on the road! They have so much Arrogance, they'd keep honking at you when they're behind you on a crowded street but, when the road is empty and if they're in the front, they'll refuse to move out of your way and pick a fight with you if you honk.

Proper bikers never do that.
Old 8th November 2016, 09:08   #8844
BHPian

And then: someone stops in the middle of the road. The swarm behind halts and wonders why. Feed roti to a cow, reaching out from the window. Oblivious to the horns.
Old 8th November 2016, 18:12   #8845
BHPian

Quote:
And then: someone stops in the middle of the road. The swarm behind halts and wonders why. Feed roti to a cow, reaching out from the window. Oblivious to the horns.

Ha ha! Taking the cow theme very seriously it seems. Encountered a similiar situation today in the 2 laned NH in which I commute daily. There was this Swift dzire taxi who decided to halt abruptly in the road to ask directions to a roadside shopkeeper.
This seems like a pretty normal thing, if only he hadn't panic braked right in the road, not even bothering to look at the huge bus and three cars trailing behind it. That guy didn't even have the brains to get his vehicle off the road (there was more than enough space for parking a truck even). Sigh.
Old 11th November 2016, 12:07   #8846
Distinguished - BHPian

In a single drive to Chikmagalur and back on yesterday, witnessed few bad drivers very frequently but these 2 take the cake.

1. A biker has a close call while a KSRTC Bus changes lanes abruptly

In the below video, at 54 Seconds, notice how the KSRTC Bus ahead of me suddenly decides to change lanes without making any assessment on who's around.

This is one reason why even if you do a shoulder check, your lane changing has to be really gradual and smooth instead of something that is very quick.

The biker was damn lucky here.

2. A Sand truck enters the main road with full throttle

This happened during return and between Belur and Hassan. I waited for a straight/open stretch before overtaking the Innova and soon after this I noticed linear spot of light appearing ahead perpendicularly from the right side and It was good hint that there is a vehicle approaching the main road.

The least I expect even from a bad driver is to really come fast and stop on the edge of the road with its nose popping out before merging onto the main road.

But to my surprise, this fella had gathered all momentum that he didn't want to step off that throttle and simply pounces ahead.

I slow down carefully as the Innova was right behind and based on the direction that truck was going to head and wanted to cause least trouble to him and still give enough gap for him to brake in time too. Didn't panic and changed the lane to move to extreme left gradually than slam the brakes and run helter skelter confusing the Innova behind too.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th November 2016 at 12:16.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 11:12   #8847
BHPian

Maybe this would help..

http://mashable.com/2016/11/15/spook...gh-beam-china/
Old 16th November 2016, 12:53   #8848
BHPian

Today morning a biker came from a side road and entered the main road at a perpendicular angle, like a dart. I was in a uber (Ritz) and the car driver could not brake in time. The Ritz is brand new and on temporary registration, got a huge dent on the front side fender and a crack on the bumper. The biker seemed to have very minimal loss so he picked up the bike and ran away.

The Ritz driver was almost in tears and choking but what else to do ? He noted down the number of the bike and mentioned he will at least file a complaint. He got the car couple of days back under some government grant and he was lamenting about the loss to a new vehicle.

Why are people so careless ? Why can't they be little cautious while entering a main road ? How can people damage someone else's property and move on without any regret ? Looks like some action needs to be taken against bad driving before the situation gets worse. I only hope so.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 13:39   #8849
Senior - BHPian

I am volunteering as a bad driver today! Today morning I took my car for office as my bike had no petrol and I was late to go into the bunk and fill it and then start. When I started the car and traveled a little further noticed that I was getting the constant blinking sound that you get when you switch on the blinkers. I could not stop the car as I was in middle of traffic but asked an Auto person next to me if he sees the indicators blinking. He says yes. Checked and found that the indicators and all were off. This generally happens when the Auto cop is not working properly but I am not using auto cop at all as the fod got broken some months ago and I use manual lock ever since. Anyways as it was around 9:15 AM and none of the shops would be open and also I would be late for a meeting so drove to office all the way with the blinkers on. If somebody would have noticed a black palio on Sarjapur road with the blinkers on then it would be me. I need to get it checked as its very risky as well as embarassing!
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 19:05   #8850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Today morning a biker came from a side road and entered the main road at a perpendicular angle, like a dart. I was in a uber (Ritz) and the car driver could not brake in time. The Ritz is brand new and on temporary registration, got a huge dent on the front side fender and a crack on the bumper. The biker seemed to have very minimal loss so he picked up the bike and ran away.

Something similar happened to me couple of years back. Had taken my car to 3M for TLC the evening before a Team-BHP drive. As I was pulling into my apartment (had put the indicator), a boy - maybe 10 or 12yrs old ripping on a RX100 - rams into my front right. Dent on the door, door beading gone, front tyre's side wall slashed and front bumper dislocated!

Boy picks up his bike and scoots and I'm left with a big fat bill.
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks