Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2016, 21:53   #8776
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Its true, they have become a big nuisance. Every journey you find a few of them stopping randomly, double parking, fiddling with phone or crawling along in a narrow lane trying to find the customer or location and slowing down everyone else in the process.
Nowadays pretty much half the cars you see on the road are yellow plate Uber or Ola cars. Their popularity has increased but traffic has not reduced at all, one of their selling points was fewer private cars on the road but IMO they have only had a negative impact on traffic instead.
BTW is there a good drivers thread ?
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 22:31   #8777
Distinguished - BHPian

Also due to the sudden and massive surge in the number of these cabs, the NCR region has been flooded with drivers from outside states with little or non-existent driving skills and etiquettes. They have no idea about road sense, respect for your car and the list just goes on.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 11:57   #8778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Its true, they have become a big nuisance. Every journey you find a few of them stopping randomly, double parking, fiddling with phone or crawling along in a narrow lane trying to find the customer or location and slowing down everyone else in the process.
Nowadays pretty much half the cars you see on the road are yellow plate Uber or Ola cars. Their popularity has increased but traffic has not reduced at all, one of their selling points was fewer private cars on the road but IMO they have only had a negative impact on traffic instead.
BTW is there a good drivers thread ?
The biggest and the largest nuisance on the roads in the NCR region is: The Smartphone. Period.

This, single handed is a phenomenal distraction and/or deterrent to sane and safe driving. Talking on the phone while driving is passé, but viewing the screen and not looking at the road is totally wrecking civil decorum on the road. Now it is so common to see people, holding the steering at 12 O' Clock and looking at their phone screen ..! Even if peripheral human vision will permit a rough idea of the road ahead, it is huge risk, and one can easily spot a Smartphone disabled/dumbed down driver from a distance:

1. Driving in the fast lane at slow speeds.
2. Oblivious to neighboring vehicles and/or horns.
3. Slowing down in the middle of the road.
4. Not using indicators.
5. Suddenly stopping in the middle of nowhere.
6. Not letting vehicles overtake.

These days, I play a small game. When I see moronic vehicle activity from a distance (easily spotted), I say to myself "is the driver on his phone". Most of the time, I am right..!

Also just as scary: People using the right hand to hold the phone/or talk. How will they gear shift with the left hand on the steering. No wonder, they crawl at a specific speed and do not let traffic pass. People just do not care. An SMS/WA message is worth more than their lives, not even talking about a concern for fellow vehicles and their owners. Totally selfish and purely dumb.
asingh1977 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 15:35   #8779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
These days, I play a small game. When I see moronic vehicle activity from a distance (easily spotted), I say to myself "is the driver on his phone". Most of the time, I am right..!
Ditto ! Even I play this game. The biggest pain is sometimes these guys will drive very slowly in the fast lane, blocking traffic behind them. Given that their whole attention is on the phone, even honking doesn't help.
texens is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 17:45   #8780
BHPian

Not a nice place to park and walk away during peak hours, is it? Common sense is a rare entity nowadays.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1476706508123.jpg
saadat1992 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 18:36   #8781
Distinguished - BHPian

When will this guy get convinced to change his tyres?! This is a Linea Tjet and 2 tyres were in this condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-tymin.jpg  

arun_josie is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 19:58   #8782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
When will this guy get convinced to change his tyres?! This is a Linea Tjet and 2 tyres were in this condition.
Com'on... This is Fiat. Nothing will happen. Built like a tank you know.

And anyways who cares about others life in India.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 20:34   #8783
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
A lovely example to differentiate an 'enthusiast' with a 'car owner' and if trend says it all, he would actually say that with all round discs on the TJet, bald tires like these can be used all the way till the steel belts come out.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 16:49   #8784
BHPian

Had a horrendous experience on Sunday while driving back home (from Sarjapur Road). I was doing around 55-60kmph when all of a sudden I heard tyre screeching noise. The vehicle in front of me swayed to the right lane and tried his best to not cross over the median.

Cuprit? A Maruthi Swift Desire parked right in the middle of the road with no blinkers/hazard lights turned on

The other car driver gave him a mouthful and the three of us pushed his car to the left lane before moving on. At higher speeds, it would have been catastrophic to both of us :(

Last edited by Viv3k : 18th October 2016 at 16:50.
Viv3k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 10:25   #8785
BHPian

This is from our office (Philips, Manyata Tech Park) car parking. What do i say about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20161019_092644.jpg  

Old 19th October 2016, 10:28   #8786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
This is from our office (Philips, Manyata Tech Park) car parking. What do i say about this?
He/She is definitely living to drive!
Old 19th October 2016, 14:14   #8787
Distinguished - BHPian

He/She parked between the cones? I would have done the same.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 14:18   #8788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
My guess would be, Both the parking spots are of that car, And they have blocked both the spots since others would be using it, Hence the cones are kept in such a way and the car is parked like that,

Well i hope my guess is right though
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 14:20   #8789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
He/She parked between the cones? I would have done the same.
And these cones in our country convey a lot of messages based on their placement. Here, all I can think is that these 2 slots are "reserved" due to the presence of the cones there .
Old 19th October 2016, 15:03   #8790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
My guess would be, Both the parking spots are of that car, And they have blocked both the spots since others would be using it, Hence the cones are kept in such a way and the car is parked like that,

Well i hope my guess is right though
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And these cones in our country convey a lot of messages based on their placement. Here, all I can think is that these 2 slots are "reserved" due to the presence of the cones there .
Sorry, i forgot to mention the reasoning behind those cones. Here it is, those parking spaces are reserved for 'car pool' cars. But this person being 'smart' used the space available between those cones to park his car!
kavensri is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks