Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2015, 23:29   #7861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I felt like stopping right there, getting out and slapping him so hard that his ears and eyes and brains would open up to being more conscious about his surroundings !!
No offense, but you were 10kmph over the legal speed limit on a wet slippery road! That's just inviting trouble. So I hope you think twice before slapping eyes off people.

PS. Not saying cyclist did no wrong, but one should always be sensible and careful from his side to increase the odds of a safer drive. 😊
Old 4th October 2015, 01:09   #7862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiram View Post

No offense, but you were 10kmph over the legal speed limit on a wet slippery road! That's just inviting trouble. So I hope you think twice before slapping eyes off people.

PS. Not saying cyclist did no wrong, but one should always be sensible and careful from his side to increase the odds of a safer drive. ?de0a
Would you have given me this same advice (10kmph overspeed) if I hadn't reported my speed in the first place, in the original post ?

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 4th October 2015 at 01:13.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 07:08   #7863
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

The stretch is notorious for pedestrians crossing the road at will. You mist be thanking your stars that the cyclist moved away in time. I was knocked down (in my car) a couple of years ago and the car had to be totaled - for reason, I was in the safe speed limit of 60 kmph. A private bus rammed me from behind and at the left rear - an angle enough to push me to the median and topple the car. Then, the debate was, why was I sticking to the speed limit and not pushed on faster.

Well, be prepared. I was surprised when fellow BHPians posted the accident with the speculation that I was racing. Aghast, I had to step-in and ask them if they did see the accident / know what happened? That was when the tone changed and sense prevailed.

Its always different when one is in the eye of the incident and others see/read. So it is safe to read them with a pinch of salt.
Electric is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 07:08   #7864
BHPian

What do I say about this moron. He just had to park between a pillar and my car, and look what he did. I had to get in from the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1444009101366.jpg  

shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 09:31   #7865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
What do I say about this moron. He just had to park between a pillar and my car, and look what he did. I had to get in from the passenger side.
Hahaha. Reminds me of that red Zen that was parked inches away from my driver side door :P
Old 5th October 2015, 10:44   #7866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Did you send these photos to office admin team. They too will have a good laugh.

I have been in these situations in my office parking lots.
So, I am always mindful of leaving enough space for the other guy if I am the last on to park. If the beam/wall is too close, I just part in reverse wrt the next car. So that both cars have driver side part adjacent to each other.

The killer punch is was when a couple of times when I ensured the other guy has enough space only to find that the original car has moved out and some moron parked with no space for me.

Bachelors and Masters and Dr.s can still be idiots or plain lazy.
Old 5th October 2015, 23:24   #7867
BHPian

How about this moron... this is at the entrance of a hospital.

The funny bit is just after I clicked this, somebody parked their bike in the gap beside the car and the ambulance.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20151005_133311441_ios-copy.jpg  

Old 6th October 2015, 14:22   #7868
Senior - BHPian

This incident is about a bad driver but a funny one. This happened in Church Street in front of Brigade Gardens. We had come for breakfast at the Indian Coffee House and parked my car just bordering the entrance gate. Later when we came out there was a Sx4 parked on the right side of my car blocking the entrance. The security guard along with another shop owner were deflating the tires as well as pasted this message on the windshield "Use your common sense for once, you are blocking the way". The shop owner then turned to me and gossiped, how brainless can people get parking in such a manner, I was like I see this happening everyday everywhere, he acknowledged saying yes you are right but this time I am going to tackle this guy.

I dont know what happened later but I am sure there were words exchanged as the shop owner was sitting at the entrance waiting

Last edited by motomaverick : 6th October 2015 at 14:23.
Old 6th October 2015, 16:27   #7869
BHPian

There are some drivers, who have really good eyesight. They can see at nights very well, like owls. This is the reason, they do not need the assistance of their headlights, while driving in the late evenings or nights. Just like how many of us cannot see ghosts, we cannot see these folks and their vehicles either.
A few pointers to identify them:
a) They will be seen 9/10 times on a mileage conscious bike (if you ever can spot them), and sometimes on cars as well.
b) They will be mostly riding on the wrong lane, trying to overtake a bigger vehicle - may be bus or truck.

What to do in these cases?
Reduce the speed, as they are unlikely to reduce speed even at their own life is at stake. It is also makes sense to not cross 30 kmph on single carriageway roads, as we never know when they will cross our paths.

Let's hope the manufacturers can increase the mileage to an extent that they would consider switching on their headlights!
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 17:20   #7870
Team-BHP Support

Well-dressed young guy driving a black XUV W6, reg# KA-05-MQ-535. Car shows registered to an IT Company in RTO records so most probably a leased one.

This 'gent' was honking away to glory in thick traffic behind my office cab around 2 PM from before the ORR Marathahalli underpass to the ISRO campus turn-off. Then he barged past on the left, cut across in front and screeched to a halt to impart a few choice expletives towards the cabbie, who to his credit was a decent man for not only driving well but not reacting to the provocation.

To the 'gent' in the big car: your next outburst may not end so peacefully, not every cabbie is a calm-headed gentleman.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 01:11   #7871
Distinguished - BHPian

And what was the basis of that guy's complaint? Simply that someone else had the cheek to be in front of him?

Even as a passenger I might not have been as calm-headed as your cabbie!
Old 7th October 2015, 15:22   #7872
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And what was the basis of that guy's complaint? Simply that someone else had the cheek to be in front of him?

Even as a passenger I might not have been as calm-headed as your cabbie!
My organisation has recently implemented a GPS based cab allocation/tracking mechanism that does away with any manual intervention for employee cab transport. One important feature on the devices is a 60kmph speed limit, which is very reasonable within city limits even on open stretches (like ORR).

This guy was probably running late (as everyone else is), and was infuriated that the vehicle ahead of him was NOT driven as he'd have liked it to be. My cabbie stopped a few feet behind, sat still, refused to engage him, smiled and moved off around his car even as the urban gladiator was still ranting his head off. I watched him grumbling as we passed by, and he abused my cabbie some more at the next signal where we parted ways.

I couldn't help remarking to my cabbie how differently he handled it than most cabbies I've met, and this is what he said (I paraphrase): "Saar, I paid hard-earned money to own this car and it's my livelihood. That young chap probably got it on EMIs from his hotshot IT job and doesn't mind driving it like a jerk. I possibly earn as much as he does, and being a cabbie doesn't mean I can't be a decent man too. I don't need to get down to his level".

Put a smile on my face, and made me ashamed for a moment for belonging to the generic 'hotshot IT employee' category.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th October 2015 at 15:25. Reason: Grammar
Chetan_Rao is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 16:13   #7873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

... ... ...

I couldn't help remarking to my cabbie how differently he handled it than most cabbies I've met, and this is what he said (I paraphrase): "Saar, I paid hard-earned money to own this car and it's my livelihood. That young chap probably got it on EMIs from his hotshot IT job and doesn't mind driving it like a jerk. I possibly earn as much as he does, and being a cabbie doesn't mean I can't be a decent man too. I don't need to get down to his level".

Put a smile on my face, and made me ashamed for a moment for belonging to the generic 'hotshot IT employee' category.
Wonderful. That cabbie deserves a Team-BHP Badge of Honour. It's a humbling lesson for many of us.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 10:25   #7874
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday on old madras road, there was an APSRTC Tirupati bus in front and we were on the right most lane near the Gopalan mall going towards Indiranagar. The bus was moving straight faster than the slow moving traffic on the left lanes (mostly vehicles getting into the mall, autos, etc). And suddenly the bus comes to a complete halt The driver decides he's going to move to the left most lane and stop at the Bus stop there to pick up people!

The brake lamps on the bus were not working so it totally unexpected. Luckily I was maintaining safe distance and alert so slowed down and stopped in time and was lucky there were no vehicles tailing me so escaped a rear-ending as well.

Will these guys ever learn ?

Last edited by NPV : 8th October 2015 at 10:26.
Old 8th October 2015, 18:11   #7875
BHPian

Hilarious !!

Is this the real life Mr Bean? Driver rips bumper from his car while trying to pull out of a space... before rolling into a parked vehicle and clipping a third with his door
  • CCTV captured man entering his car with friends and reversing from space
  • His bumper catches the car next to him and is pulled from front of vehicle
  • Man fails to apply brake when retrieving bumper and car rolls into another
  • Later man clips a third car with his door while driving away with bumper

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ping-door.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks