Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2015, 10:48   #7231
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Seriously how hard can it be to slow down or stop for a few seconds?!
it is very hard, close to impossible! you see if people slow down or stop, their life will abruptly come to an end and they'll be reborn as a cockroach in their next life; they need to keep moving to stay alive!
IronH4WK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st February 2015, 20:06   #7232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
On these notes, I sheepishly admit that I was a bad driver few years back. Way in 2006 me and my friends used to do this quadruple rides on my yamaha. I really feel bad for doing all those gimmicks now
Only brave minds admit the mistakes they made. Life is not all that perfect, but we need to make sure things are right after realizing the mistakes from our past.

Quote:
Have begun to notice that drivers behind you have no sense of patience whatsoever. If i stop or slow down because of blocks in front or zebra crossings or whatever genuine reason i might have had, people behind hate to drop a gear, slow down or heaven forbid stop behind me. Instead they will take to the right or the left and if possible over me!
Happened just last night to me at Chamundi Hills Mysore. I had stopped at the View Point (like all others do) to take some beautiful pictures of the city at night. Once done, I was taking the path as mentioned in the diagram here at around 10:15 PM.., when the road was completely empty. Thankfully, due to my instincts of following the rules too much, I had the indicators on (though it was a totally empty road until....)

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-chamundi_almost_tragedy.jpg

This Moron in a Maruti 800 (heavily stickered and modified) came from nowhere and had no headlights on. The first bit that I realized was the modified exhaust and all of a sudden, the headlights pop up from the other car when he came perilously close and zoomed past without even the slightest regard to his own and other's safety. I thank the indicators and bright Hella 100/90's on my Getz which made the Moron realize of my presence. If it was anything less, I would have hit the photo on the wall by now taking along three of my friends with me.., along with the Moron of course.
Old 1st February 2015, 20:50   #7233
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove to Mahabalipuram and back on the ECR (East Coast Road) this afternoon. The number of complete morons (eg tailgating at 60kph) was refreshingly low, but one driver was a really mad moron.

The road is two lane, ie a regular road with one lane each way and no divider or median.

There was a truck ahead of me doing a reasonable speed. I was happy to remain behind it at the same speed, and to let faster motorists past. Another polo driver overtook me and the truck. The road was clear; this was perfectly safe (although speed limits would be another matter). As he was overtaking the truck, another polo driver came past me and overtook him, making three vehicles abreast, and putting the right two wheels of his car in the dirt actually off the road.

Who, in their right mind, would do that? Even with all the TLA*s in the world fitted, anything could happen a to car, at high speed, whose wheels suddenly hit a different surface.

Probably, one of the most ignorant, stupid pieces of bad driving I have ever seen. The really bad/sad thing is that the driver probably thinks he's clever and highly skilled. Actually, he is really lacking in driving skills and shouldn't even be allowed in a car.

*Three-Letter Abbreviations

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 1st February 2015 at 20:54.
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:58   #7234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post

This Moron in a Maruti 800 (heavily stickered and modified) came from nowhere and had no headlights on.
10.15PM and no headlights? Guess he's been watching too much of Initial D where Takumi overtakes his opponents by switching off headlights! Fun to see on anime but on road?!
deathwalkr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:41   #7235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10.15PM and no headlights?
If it is the circle on the highway where we take a left turn to proceed towards Nandi Hills (coming from Bengaluru), then there are a couple of bars in that vicinity. Perhaps this chap may be urgently going there (or on his way back).
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:55   #7236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
If it is the circle on the highway where we take a left turn to proceed towards Nandi Hills (coming from Bengaluru), then there are a couple of bars in that vicinity. Perhaps this chap may be urgently going there (or on his way back).
This is not Nandi Hills, this is Chamundi Hills in Mysore.
There is a small circle near the view point, where the left road leads to the Chamundi temple and right one leads to Nandi statue.
This road has seen it's own share of bad drivers and riders.

Two wheelers regularly coast down the hill with their engine and headlamps off in pitch dark to save a few drops of petrol. They are an absolute menace on this road.

Add to that they are some wanna be racers who use this road as their own hill climb circuit.

Last edited by speedmiester : 2nd February 2015 at 10:56.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:41   #7237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
This is not Nandi Hills, this is Chamundi Hills in Mysore.
There is a small circle near the view point, where the left road leads to the Chamundi temple and right one leads to Nandi statue.
This road has seen it's own share of bad drivers and riders.

Two wheelers regularly coast down the hill with their engine and headlamps off in pitch dark to save a few drops of petrol. They are an absolute menace on this road.

Add to that they are some wanna be racers who use this road as their own hill climb circuit.
You nailed it. That's exactly the case with this road. There were a bunch of buggers who had one FZ16 which was modified and were doing their tricks. I waited for them to scram and was worried if those idiots will hit my car. It was peaceful once they went their own way and I was enjoying the view. For those who haven't been to Mysore, the following two pictures would give an idea of how beautiful the city looks at night from the view point.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_7145.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_7147.jpg

Once done, I started off only to encounter the horror of my life. I can call it the Beauty (of the place) and the Beast (the Moron) situation. As mentioned in my previous post regarding those stickers on his car, I'm sure he was a wannabe racer.., but he's only worth participating in a Death Race.
vnidta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 13:13   #7238
Senior - BHPian

Impatient dude #1: Eon

Joins the main road in the left lane while i'm on the right lane, see's a car partially blocking his lane and without any care of cars on the next lane, decides to just cut across at some speed!

Impatient Dude #2: Fiesta

Small two lane road with one lane partially blocked by badly parked vehicles. Dude behind me has to go right at the signal while i have to go left. I cannot speed up even if i wanted to and our man sees the signal counting down to zero.

Even if the road was free, i don't think he would have made it. Anyways, he decides to overtake me and then realizes there is a divider at the signal and he was on collision course with that.

What does he do? Bullied his way into me almost hitting me! Only to stare at the red light signal while i took my left and drove off. But did not miss this dude staring at me in anger.

Old 3rd February 2015, 20:26   #7239
Senior - BHPian

How to spot bad drivers 101!

He who doth not careth for his head, won't careth for yours!

Name:  ForumRunner_20150203_201702.png
Views: 1376
Size:  749.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150203_201716.png
Views: 1415
Size:  712.8 KB

( Spotted this rent-a-helmet at a mechanic shop. )
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 10:57   #7240
BHPian

This is just another perfect example of bad driving in Triplets and Quadruplets that too without an helmet for the pillions.

BENGALURU: A speeding BMTC bus dragged three youngsters along with their bike for about 80 feet, killing two of them and injuring the third, near Jigani on Bannerghatta Road on Wednesday morning. Ravi and Devraj, who were on the pillion were killed, while Monish is battling for life.

The trio - aged 20 to 25 years and residents of Bilkehalli - were coming towards the city from Bannerghatta. The bike was going on the left side of the road near Sakalwara junction. The driver of the bus (365J) tried to overtake it, but hit the bike, which came under the bus. As the driver had lost control, he could not stop the bus. The speeding bus dragged the bike for 80 feet and stopped after hitting the median, police said.

"Passersby alerted police, who reached the spot and rushed the trio to a nearby hospital. Ravi and Devraj were declared brought dead, while Monish was shifted to St John's hospital. The driver fled the spot," police said. The Bannerghatta Road was blocked for more than 30 minutes.

"The rider was wearing a helmet and thus saved his life. The two on the pillion suffered head injuries," police said.

Reference: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/46048386.cms
Old 4th February 2015, 12:05   #7241
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw an example of some incredibly stupid driving last night around 8 pm.

Was driving home from work and taking my usual exit off the Mumbai-Bangalore (bypass) highway near Bavdhan. Traffic was heavy but smooth flowing. The exit has a really bad patch of road so regulars know to slow down and take a suitably wide turn. There were a few vehicles ahead of me in line to take the turn and we were all at crawl speeds, while the right lane was moving quite fast.

One guy in a silver Tata Indigo (MH12 XX 4746) thought he'd be extra smart and whizzed past all of us and tried to make the left turn, failed, almost banged a poor hatchback guy who was continuing straight, slammed on his brakes, realised he had overshot the exit and continued straight ignoring all the other vehicles honking for him to stop. Bunch of young guys probably returning home from work. I passed the spot 10 seconds later and the smell of burning rubber was heavy in the air.

Silently thanked my stars that nobody was injured and went my way wondering when drivers will ever develop some commonsense.
Old 4th February 2015, 16:51   #7242
BHPian

Here's my account of this afternoon. After finishing lunch at home, I was heading back to office on my bike. The road I was on, is a pretty wide but without any medians or dividers. As I'm riding, I notice a School bus coming towards me on the wrong side (my extreme left). He was at crawling speeds, and I was riding at around 20-25 ( I always stay well below Speed limits on my bike ). Then as I'm about to pass the bus, the driver applies the brakes and a little girl hops on to the road right in front of me!!!.

Since I was riding slow, I was able to brake without any problems or panic. I looked inside and there was the conductor standing on the doorway looking indifferent.

Thankfully there were no other vehicles except an auto behind me, and he too stopped and both of us took the conductor to task. I even called the school and reported the incident, and they promised to look into it.

All this because the conductor was lazy to make time to help the girl alight, and drop her off on the other side of the road.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2015, 17:05   #7243
BHPian

Another one with the hint on his number plate. Encountered this genius in Vashi, palm beach road. came from the turn on right, completely unannounced, went to my left and then suddenly crossed to my right realizing that the lane on this red light was shorter.

Look at his number plate (another gem where the number plate screams of "HONDA" which is right below the Honda logo, on a Honda city car)
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_0229.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_0230.jpg  

Last edited by 1lokesh : 4th February 2015 at 17:06. Reason: typo
Old 4th February 2015, 18:12   #7244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
Another one with the hint on his number plate. Encountered this genius in Vashi, palm beach road. came from the turn on right, completely unannounced, went to my left and then suddenly crossed to my right realizing that the lane on this red light was shorter.
OT, and on a lighter note: Unless this was on a highway (and from the condition of the roads in the pic and the amount of traffic, it doesn't appear to be a highway), you seem to have your headlights on high-beam. Somebody might post you on this thread .
Old 4th February 2015, 18:33   #7245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
OT, and on a lighter note: Unless this was on a highway (and from the condition of the roads in the pic and the amount of traffic, it doesn't appear to be a highway), you seem to have your headlights on high-beam. Somebody might post you on this thread .
As I mentioned this is in Vashi, Palm Beach Road. So not a highway, but yes full of trucks because this road leads to the biggest agricultural produce market of Mumbai. The road is getting re-carpeted, hence that condition.

This car was in the lane to my right so I don't know how you could say I was on high beam. But not that I'm saying I was NOT because I seriously don't recall

On a serious note, high beam for me is normally on highways or for dippers in the city.. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks