Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2014, 14:22   #7096
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Couple of extreme baddies spotted in the last couple days:
1.On NH7, I was somewhere near Krishnagiri and all 3 lanes in front of me were blocked by slow moving trucks. Suddenly I see a Beat zooming behind me and what he does shocks me even more, just veered to extreme left lane, then onto the narrow shoulder while maintaining his speed, zooms in front of the trucks, the car had a HR registration
2.Yesterday on the Vasanth Nagar road, just after Kodava Samaj I see a biker without a helmet of course, with 2 more guys riding pillion, and the guy at the back is tagging a horse that is galloping with the motorbike
I was too dazed seeing a horse approaching head on, just moved to extreme left to let the convoy pass *sigh*
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 12:38   #7097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
the car had a HR registration
Was it HR 26?

This behaviour is pretty common on our highways - with such guys thinking they are smarter than idiots like us who wait for any of the trucks to clear a lane.
Old 31st December 2014, 12:44   #7098
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Was it HR 26?
Can't remember, but why do you ask if it's 26
He was really lucky to have survived that pass even the slightest movement of that truck to the left would have ended that car's journey for good
Old 31st December 2014, 12:46   #7099
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_rohit View Post
Before making air bags and ABS compulsory government should insist on ORVMs as a safety feature which is comparatively cheaper and makes more sense. I think it's stupid having ABS and air bags but no ORVMs.
You can make the Govt formulate a rule to make ORVM mandatory on both sides, but how will the Govt ensure that the mirrors once provided are open and not tucked away?

Recent drive to Mysore was relatively stress free, but one grey Polo guy, KA04MMXXXX was in a lot of hurry. First with his honking and flashing of headlight to scare the nightlight out of people in front, and then overtaking the two cars on the two lanes from the Extreme left. All this circus, and 10 minutes later, I see him parked on the road side and relieving himself. His contribution towards 'swach Bharath'. Once he is relieved, he is back at his antics again. All this for me to catch up with him more than couple of times, driving less than 80kmph. When do these guys understand?
ILTDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 13:30   #7100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can't remember, but why do you ask if it's 26
He was really lucky to have survived that pass even the slightest movement of that truck to the left would have ended that car's journey for good
HR 26 is Gurgaon registration. Must be an IT 'well educated' guy if it was so. But I guess education doesn't get you road sense.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 13:46   #7101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
You can make the Govt formulate a rule to make ORVM mandatory on both sides, but how will the Govt ensure that the mirrors once provided are open and not tucked away
Things won't improve until unless road safety is a compulsory subject in school curriculum, I think we don't ever use more than 20 percent of what has been taught in school.
Ignorance of road safety is a major cause of loss to life and property. So educating school kids about road safety as a subject makes more sense as traffic is a necessary evil and education is the right weapon against it.
Old 31st December 2014, 14:14   #7102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_rohit View Post
Things won't improve until unless road safety is a compulsory subject in school curriculum, I think we don't ever use more than 20 percent of what has been taught in school.
Ignorance of road safety is a major cause of loss to life and property. So educating school kids about road safety as a subject makes more sense as traffic is a necessary evil and education is the right weapon against it.
Road safety will simply become one of those subjects like moral science that you treat as a defacto free period. Just make driving tests serious with a test drive that isn't just 'drive the car along an empty road and make a u turn' or on a two wheeler, 'ride a figure of 8 pattern'
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 17:41   #7103
BHPian

I agree to some extent, but still something is better than nothing.

I think it will be an interesting subject unlike moral science as kids love to know about cars rather than morality.

Importance of the subject lies in deaths and disabilities caused every year because of lack of knowledge.
Old 31st December 2014, 19:15   #7104
D C
BHPian

Studying road safety may not necessarily make someone a good driver. The civic sense, manners and sense of responsibility mostly comes from the family.

The driver in this discussion would probably teach his children that a hero drive like that and idiots wait for the trucks to move for a clear lane!

I wish the road transport ministry come up with a platform for us to share videos / photos or any other proof of traffic offenses, that will reward us and penalize the offender.

Last edited by D C : 31st December 2014 at 19:16.
D C is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 10:12   #7105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...On NH7, I was somewhere near Krishnagiri and all 3 lanes in front of me were blocked by slow moving trucks. Suddenly I see a Beat zooming behind me and what he does shocks me even more, just veered to extreme left lane, then onto the narrow shoulder while maintaining his speed, zooms in front of the trucks ...
Did he by any chance feel inspired by the imbecile I encountered on Christmas day?
Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
The civic sense, manners and sense of responsibility mostly comes from the family.
Agree cent percent to that.
Quote:
...I wish the road transport ministry come up with a platform for us to share videos / photos or any other proof of traffic offenses, that will reward us and penalize the offender.
Pipe dream, in simple words. As a saving grace, the Bangalore Traffic Police has a public eye portal where they take action on some of the offences posted by the general public. Their counterparts in some other states/cities have also started similar initiatives, but no idea on the responses.

Last edited by silversteed : 1st January 2015 at 10:26.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 11:52   #7106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2.Yesterday on the Vasanth Nagar road, just after Kodava Samaj I see a biker without a helmet of course, with 2 more guys riding pillion, and the guy at the back is tagging a horse that is galloping with the motorbike
I was too dazed seeing a horse approaching head on, just moved to extreme left to let the convoy pass *sigh*
Just when you think you have seen it all on the roads, something like this happens and you get shocked

They are everywhere and their tribe is increasing day by day
Old 1st January 2015, 12:27   #7107
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Pipe dream, in simple words. As a saving grace, the Bangalore Traffic Police has a public eye portal where they take action on some of the offences posted by the general public. Their counterparts in some other states/cities have also started similar initiatives, but no idea on the responses.
Chennai Traffic Police has a Facebook page which does the same. However, I feel that is for name sake. I see they act against the offenses that are most convenient for them to act upon and not based on the seriousness of offense.
Old 1st January 2015, 13:12   #7108
BHPian

Last week I was coming back from Nellore to Hyderabad. There was an i10 right behind me and he was flashing his lights thrice every 10 seconds. I had absolutely no clue why he was doing that. There weren't many vehicles on the road and all my doors and windows were secure. He wasn't even trying to overtake me.

I pulled over after ten minutes and let him pass. I thought he would probably tell me something. He didn't. He simply continued his "flashy" driving. I inadvertently overtook him 50 kms later and cursed myself immediately before letting him pass me.

Can someone please tell me why would anyone flash their headlights so much on a relatively free median-divided highway?

I can only think of the following reasons..

1. You want to overtake.
2. You want to alert the oncoming vehicle in case of an undivided road about the overtaking window.
3. You want to alert the vehicle going in front of you about something dangerous. (tire wobbling, headlights not working, oil spilling etc)
Old 1st January 2015, 13:25   #7109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
Can someone please tell me why would anyone flash their headlights so much on a relatively free median-divided highway?

Some drivers have the same habit when it comes to honking. For no reason, they would frequently honk. Noticed this more among taxis and buses. Flashing might just be a slightly more dumber version of it, if there is no reason for some one to flash and if he is still doing that.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 13:28   #7110
Team-BHP Support

@venuvedam:

I had a similar experience a couple of years back when the car in front me drove me nuts with the indicators.

He would indicate left, then right, then left and then right.

The car was also not exactly being driven in a straight line.

Frustrated after a kilometer of this non-sense, when I finally decided to overtake, found a small kid in the drivers lap.

Idiots.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks