Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:24   #6556
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If people start respecting the lane concept, the problem of tail gating will reduce!
And to respect this, they have to look into their mirrors. A car which wasn't visible a minute away and right now is breathing down your neck means that the car is faster, please do let it go.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

In a traffic sandwich situation, if I leave a gap, cyclists, motorcyclists & even rickshaws (human operated ones) tend to squeeze in, sometimes scratching your car with their guards, pedals, wheels etc. It is a very fine balance to maintain distance in a very dense traffic situation & dissuade these morons from scratching your car. These situations cause fatigue & tire you.
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:09   #6557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Riding on the footpath has nearly become an epidemic in Bangalore...
And walking on the roads is an epedemic in Chennai. It's not just motorists who are bad!
Old 22nd August 2014, 18:05   #6558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A car which wasn't visible a minute away and right now is breathing down your neck means that the car is faster, please do let it go.
Exactly! If 2 cars are following the same highway, the one which approaches the other from behind at a much faster pace should be overtaking the car seeing it in the rear view mirror, that's natural. But if the car ahead sees the approaching car and speeds up to not let him pass, you have spotted a bad driver.
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:01   #6559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And walking on the roads is an epedemic in Chennai. It's not just motorists who are bad!
Each side thinks the other is the villain, while neither is actually blameless!

The base problem is we've forgotten how to share the limited resources we have without conflict (excuse the philosophical twist), and want it all (roads in this case) for us, plus encroach on what's off-limits (footpaths), same applies to pedestrians. Convenience cannot be allowed to trump the 'right' way to do things, but it's easier said than done when neither side is willing to listen or change. We'll adjust willingly for all sorts of wrong/convenient reasons, but won't adjust our behavior for the 'right' reasons, ever.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 20:44   #6560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
another public awareness video - ze NGEF bypass
Why are these people driving on the wrong side, scratch that who allows them to drive on the wrong side?

I shifted to Pune recently and visit my home in Bombay on weekends. I noticed the two wheeler public in Pune drive like crazy compared to the Bombay crowd. A lot of two wheeler public drive on the wrong side in Pune too, guess the situation in Bangalore is similar.

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd August 2014 at 23:48. Reason: Remove link from quoted post to reduce post size, a large post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 22:31   #6561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvord12 View Post
Why are these people driving on the wrong side, scratch that who allows them to drive on the wrong side?
this was not the scene many years back. people used to drive much more sanely. then our traffic police started letting people drive on the wrong side to clear backed up signals. then this became a norm and now people ride/drive on the wrong side irrespective of whether the traffic police asks them to.

you can't wait in traffic, drive on the wrong side of the road. wanna look intelligent compared to the nincompoops following the rules, drive of the wrong side. starts raining, drive on the wrong side

heck, you feeling lucky, drive on the wrong side
IronH4WK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 14:29   #6562
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
another public awareness video - ze NGEF bypass ....
Quote:
you can't wait in traffic, drive on the wrong side of the road. wanna look intelligent compared to the nincompoops following the rules, drive of the wrong side. starts raining, drive on the wrong side
Wow, looking at that video:
-I was actually happy to see the smart nincompoops on the wrong side meet their nemesis aka oncoming traffic and be stuck in a deadlock situation. Hope they learn a lesson from this experience (I doubt it). Usually such morons would move ahead of everyone else who was patiently driving on the correct side of road.
-I wouldn't like to be a motorist coming in the opposite direction on the left side of the road. The morons blocking the way ahead would just cause blood pressure to go up

And this is a norm on that road - most folks drive on the wrong side to get ahead of everyone else to reach the signal.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd August 2014 at 14:31.
Old 23rd August 2014, 14:57   #6563
Senior - BHPian

I think, like a climate shift, we should switch to 'keep right' for a while. When people start driving on the left, switch it back and so on and so forth
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 16:15   #6564
Distinguished - BHPian

A message from VW --- spotted on another forum

https://www.youtube.com/embed/JHixeI..._load_policy=3
Old 24th August 2014, 13:04   #6565
BHPian

Last week similar incidence happened with me between Kanpur and Lucknow; the only difference was this guy decided to change the lane and came to 1st lane. Imagine if you are going at a Speed of 80 Kms/ Hr and all of a sudden somebody comes in front of you at a much slower speed when you are about to overtake him.
Thanks to my Good luck and timely braking; I managed to avoid a major Collision except some marks on my Bumper. The driver realised his mistake and ran away. Hats off to that tyre company who noticed such pathetic road Sense of many Indians drivers and came with a catch Line “Roads are full of Idiots”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Exactly! If 2 cars are following the same highway, the one which approaches the other from behind at a much faster pace should be overtaking the car seeing it in the rear view mirror, that's natural. But if the car ahead sees the approaching car and speeds up to not let him pass, you have spotted a bad driver.
Old 24th August 2014, 23:42   #6566
Senior - BHPian

For me the term "bad driver" does not only mean the following:

1) Insane Parking

2) Insane Driving

For me it also means how one maintains his car viz-a-viz basic necessities to be provided!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo1864.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo1866.jpg

This chap had no regards for the car as well as for other motorists. Specially for motorbike riders these type of cars are a health hazard.

"No fuel without Valid PUC" ya right!

I want to know what will happen to such cars?

Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 23:59   #6567
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted these guys on the bannerghatta road,
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-baddriver1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-baddriver2.jpg  

Old 25th August 2014, 08:13   #6568
Senior - BHPian

Ever heard of a breed of nincompoops who abruptly cut into the space that you have maintained between your car and the car ahead of you ? I usually maintain a one car distance between my car the car I am tailing when driving in the city limits. This is a practice that I have been following religiously over the years .

Now there is this breed of drivers in town who think that this space is for them and when you express your displeasure by honking when they cut in , you get a stare like its your mistake.

What beat me was that even educated people return that nasty stare like its your mistake when you honk .
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 09:14   #6569
Senior - BHPian

Its high time that the traffic authorities in Thane do away with all the traffic signals esp the ones on the Ghodbunder Road. Vehicles dont have absolutely any respect for such signals. Even the when the signal is Red and the countdown is as high as 50 secs, still the vehicles take off with no concern for the traffic which as been alloted the time to pass the signal. Its not just the cabs, school buses, white/blue collared educated people do this shamelessly. And those who wait for the signal to turn green are honked at, shown all fingers, cursed, abused etc. It pains to see people driving high end vehicles (read BMW, Mercs, Fortuners) resorting to breaking rules.

Today morning at Tatvagyan Vidyapith signal on the busy Ghodbunder Road, was waiting for the signal to turn green when suddenly a high speed BMW X1 chap breaks the traffic and almost kills the biker who had taken a turn toward Eastern express highway. The biker because of the swerving loses balance and falls on the road. Luckily he was in the 20's speeds. This stops the vehicles behind the biker, few helping him to recompose. By this time the signal turned green and the honking started with people losing patience. The biker hadnt even crossed the road to park the bike to assess the damage and the traffic starts zooming past him cursing, abusing him on the way. The scene had me really thinking hard - have we come to this state? Is driving on the road that risky? it wont be long when you will see signs on the road "Drive at your own risk"
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 10:06   #6570
Distinguished - BHPian

I am always amused by the look on two wheeler riders faces when they finally meet there compatriots and end up in a collision. Its really peaceful and satisfying in its own weird way. Two wheeler riders in Vadodara are like houseflies. They go anywhere and everywhere with an air of haughtiness around them. Saw 2 of them collide into eachother yesterday evening in trying to outrun/outwit eachother on a roundabout. Both were immensely courageous and backing off and braking was too much for there ego. End result was that both lay flat on the ground dazed and surprised that the other rider didn't stop. Call me insensitive but I could only chuckle and move on.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed