Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2014, 15:35   #6241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
... I honked furiously and that managed to catch his and his pillion's attention.
More often than not, even a protracted blast on the horn does not get even a glance from errant two-wheeler drivers. They do not care how they drive, and they don't care what anybody else thinks.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 16:31   #6242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Ideally, we should be claiming the cost from the person who is at fault, either he pays or his insurance.
Absolutely yes, but the problem is how do we convince these idiots who are themselves not convinced of theirs and others safety. I have found a common problem in all these fellows- they do not think they are wrong. In their minds they are doing everything in the right manner and they will look at you surprisingly and feel why are you making all these accusations on them.
I let go of this fellow as arguing, following up, fighting, cursing will not lead to any solution. Primarily it will take away your mental peace. Though you are right that these people or their insurance co. should pay - but they have to be willing enough to cooperate.
Old 18th June 2014, 16:57   #6243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASMEET MATTOO View Post
---

I let go of this fellow as arguing, following up, fighting, cursing will not lead to any solution. Primarily it will take away your mental peace. Though you are right that these people or their insurance co. should pay - but they have to be willing enough to cooperate.
What I observe many times is that the first person to shout or have a louder & filthier language has the right of way They refuse to ack and apologies for their mistakes, even the so called educated ones!! Occasionally we come across some polite road users as well, but that is a rarity.
Old 18th June 2014, 17:32   #6244
BHPian

Quote:

The worst part is the driver was a well educated person working in an MNC at a manager level. Such people also if drive like this, how can we blame the cab drivers and other people.
Can relate to that. Yesterday, My XUV was rear ended in standstill traffic by a Ford figo. There were 2 lanes being formed behind me, and I'm sure this guy tried squeezing in to close the gap between him and the other vehicle in the next "lane".

I come out to asses to the damage and the guy says there's no damage done. I asked him to pull over to the side to assess the damage. He agrees to do so and then suddenly decides to scoot!! Couldn't pursue him because of the heavy traffic. And it was an "educated" imbecile behind the wheel.

Net result, my rear guard took the impact and is bent towards the left. Would need to get it straightened out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
Some may say the right way to teach a lesson to such audacious white collar people may be to break couple of their head lights and ask them to add it to their claim. And drive away.
Felt like doing it to the clown yesterday. But fortunately remained calm.
Old 18th June 2014, 22:57   #6245
BHPian

Quote:
Earlier also, I had met with a similar accident some 6 years ago. We called the police and the police said that you guys settle amongst yourselves. Ultimately the resolution given by the police was to claim your respective insurances.
I will narrate my experience in Chennai about four years back (March 2010). In Besant Nagar, one drunken guy threw a beer bottle up in the air, it landed on my car and smashed the rear wind shield. I could not see who had done it as I was looking ahead and driving slowly. The cop near by caught hold of some one else casually standing near the Tasmac wine shop and asked me to identify him as the culprit and give a statement. (People watching the incident told me that the culprit ran away)

Meanwhile I called up my friend and he arrived. My friend asked me whether I am sure he was the culprit and whether I will look forward to claim insurance. I called up Concorde motors and the service adviser told me, if I want to claim insurance, it will take four days and if I do not, then next evening delivery. I took the second choice and left as per my friend's advise.

What my friend told me was - such things happen and the constable will call me to police station many times to extract some money and that will be end of it. As such the guy who was caught was not the culprit and if I had identified him as one, the police will take some money from him and set him free. All I gain is an FIR and some insurance money and loose sleep for few days as well as pay up police.

Cost of repair - Rs 4772/- Time delivered - Next evening, at home. And peace of mind - priceless.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc00023_2.jpg  

alavandar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 09:21   #6246
BHPian

Quote:
I will narrate my experience in Chennai about four years back (March 2010). In Besant Nagar, one drunken guy threw a beer bottle up in the air, it landed on my car and smashed the rear wind shield.
Goodness me!! I'm seething with anger upon hearing this. I would just feel immensely happy if Indian, Anniyan films become true and such people get punished.
gabrielthomas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 12:31   #6247
BHPian

Quote:
I will narrate my experience in Chennai about four years back (March 2010).
My God!!! That's one more thing that can happen to you when you driving on the road.

I fail to understand why is it so difficult to respect other people. If this drunken fellow had respect for others he would never do that.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and handheld device users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th June 2014 at 10:55.
Old 19th June 2014, 18:01   #6248
BHPian

Quote:
I honked furiously and that managed to catch his and his pillion's attention. The guy riding the bike and the woman sitting behind responded by gesturing obscenely like I'd done something wrong and then whizzed away.
Oh yes this breed is a common on these parts! There is a similar breed who comes down one ways and the glares at you with anger if you do not give them way like coming down the RIGHT way is a crime!
Old 19th June 2014, 21:28   #6249
BHPian

I would like to add one more to the list of bad/dangerous drivers.
For those who live in Maharashtra or anyone who has been to the hill station Matheran will know how treacherous and twisty the Neral-Matheran ghats are. Those who have driven there will know that tough it is ample fun to drive, there are moments where the slopes are so steep that the road ceases to be visible and all you see is the sky!

Here there are taxi services that operate from Neral to Matheran. Cars being Omini and Eco on CNG running constantly at 1st,2nd gear on full throttle. One look at how they drive will have you wonder if they have any sense left in them.

Some say that its their daily route and they know it like the back of their hand. What I think is its sheer overconfidence and the all mighty working to save the passengers.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th June 2014 at 22:06. Reason: Post edited for grammar.
bread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 23:42   #6250
Distinguished - BHPian

Even in the country lanes of UK one can hear the "It's ok, I know it like the back of my hand, could do this with my eyes shut," line.

Obvious error: it doesn't take account of any other road users or any unexpected thing.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 10:20   #6251
BHPian

Quote:
This morning while on my way to work, I had a close call.

I was at the traffic signal on Murphy Road waiting for the lights to turn green. As soon as it turned green, I began to inch forward and had almost reached the end of the junction when this rashly ridden two wheeler jumped his red-light and nearly came under the wheels of my car!

I honked furiously and that managed to catch his and his pillion's attention. The guy riding the bike and the woman sitting behind responded by gesturing obscenely like I'd done something wrong and then whizzed away.

hi

A similar couple here in chennai managed to inflict the first damage to my Vento TSi .
It was in a signal connecting maduravoyal and koyambedu.”( for the benefit of drivers in chennai) at around 1930 hrs.
Just as the signal was about to turn green I hear this crash on my LEFT only to find this couple on a two wheeler “scooting” shakily in front of me; take the U turn and disappear ! The signal had turned green by now and I started hearing the music behind me and this policeman comes to me and says “ nothing nothing sir ; go on please” I managed to go to the left of the road and upon inspection saw this nice gash low down on the front bumper. Also quite some amount of paint of the 2 wheeler had rubbed onto the bumper.

The paint marks have been removed after usage of some rubbing compound. (hats off to VW ; had it been my i10 I guess the bumper would have come out )Unfortunately the gash remains.

What irked me was that the guy driving managed to meet my eye and “smile” and this girl sitting behind was just egging him on to move on as though nothing happened. Plus there was this policeman instead of catching them( at least the vehicle number?) asking me to move on.

Even otherwise i have been noticing a spurt in rash/crazy driving especially by 2wheelers.I have been noticing more and more instances of 3 adults riding on two wheelers together and even on the open outer ring roads and bypass roads they seem to think it is okay to compete for space with 4wheelers and 6 wheelers and what not ?

I recently had to deal with another such moronic couple who were hogging the middle lane driving parallel to a slow moving 4 wheeler in the right lane and when honked turn around and glare at me asking me to go left(signalled by the pillion at that ). And this was a Toll road !!

I guess such is the state of affairs in roads today.
Old 23rd June 2014, 13:36   #6252
BHPian

On 20th June, I was returning home from work and as I branched out of the main road to into a residential lane, I see a KA registered santro moving in my direction of travel at around 10 kmph, I follow him for a while and realise that this guy isn't going to go any faster. So I decide to overtake him, as I overtake, I see that this guy is on his mobile phone not answering the call but texting or the likes of it.

I finished overtaking him and I am now in front of him. I brake for the speed breaker and see this guy bangs me from behind. As I remove my helmet he keeps his phone on the passenger seat. I tried to open the door and give him a tight slap.

Then better sense prevailed as he was apologetic. He said that it was a critical call. I for sure know that he was not answering any call. I check for damages and let him to go.

My rear tyre hugger got bent and now it is skewed towards the left.
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:26   #6253
BHPian

Quote:
BEING A TETRIS MASTER:

You remember that game from childhood where you are supposed to fill up all possible spaces? Being a driver on Indian roads requires that skill, too! The only difference is that instead of playing room we have roads and instead of tiles, we have vehicles. The objective is to make the most efficient use of the road by occupying as less space as possible and filling up every possible space – not even leaving more than an inch. However, don’t worry if you’re a beginner and cannot fill all spaces: If you leave more than 6 inches, a two wheeler will do the job for you and occupy the space within a blink of the eye. How fast and efficient!
http://rantsofindianteenager.wordpre...-what-that-is/
Pretty much explains everything about how to reserve a place in this thread!
N.A.GTC is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:22   #6254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh
as I overtake, I see that this guy is on his mobile phone not answering the call but texting or the likes of it.
Every now and then on the OMR, I come across cars in front that drive slower than average traffic speed and straddling 2 lanes (usually the 2 lanes close to the median), instead of driving in one lane. You try to overtake from the right, they will slowly drift to the right. You try the other side and they will drift that side. When you finally manage to drive past them, you can see that they are busy on the phone - some without even using a handsfree (not that it is legal, but comparitively less dangerous than using one hand to hold the mobile to your ear). And no point shouting at them because they are in their own world.
Old 24th June 2014, 10:28   #6255
BHPian

The turning from ramapuram signal towards MIOT hospital needs a signal of its own. There are real impatient people who honk the hell out of others for waiting there. I hope CCTP does something about it. I mean they managed to get a diversion up but to no avail.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks