Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2013, 09:33   #5596
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
But what really shocked me is when I overtake a vehicle at 120 or 125, they try to re overtake me at speeds in excess of 130 (thats the max I did) to satisfy their ego leaving me completely shocked. Do they find happiness in compromising their safety just to over take a vehicle ?
New to Indian highways? This is extremely common mentality on our highways. Altos and Santros are easy to handle as you outaccelerate them quite easily. But what do you do with bigger cars and SUVs? Their egos are certainly bigger and need a lot more satisfying. Big SUVs are the worst kind. They'll be cruising at steady speeds, but once you overtake them, they have this serious urge to get back at you and show who is the 'Boss'. They weave in out of traffic, tailgate you, intimidate you and what not. This kind of behaviour is so predictable that its funny sometimes.
Old 30th August 2013, 16:43   #5597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
This kind of behaviour is so predictable that its funny sometimes.
It is even more funny when people do this on city roads. I overtake a car then the driver's ego gets bruised and he overtakes me and at the next signal we both end up side by side

I have observed this many times even when I am on my bike that if I try to overtake an ego-maniac (specially people driving bajaj scooters chetak et al) then the other guys speeds up just to stop me from overtaking ! I find this very funny and cannot suppress a smile.
Old 1st September 2013, 21:21   #5598
BHPian

Today came across a bad (bus) driver. He wanted to park his bus for that he took wrong side on a four lane road (with median). He had to travel approximately 500mtrs on wrong side to reach his parking place. He might have reached mid way and he got a call. This guy stopped the bus in the middle lane and attended the call. That idiot had a lengthy chat after parking the bus on middle of the road.

I can not imagine, how people can behave like this.?
Old 1st September 2013, 21:43   #5599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Today came across a bad (bus) driver. He wanted to park his bus for that he took wrong side on a four lane road (with median). He had to travel approximately 500mtrs on wrong side to reach his parking place. He might have reached mid way and he got a call. This guy stopped the bus in the middle lane and attended the call. That idiot had a lengthy chat after parking the bus on middle of the road.

I can not imagine, how people can behave like this.?

That's serving the purpose of mobile invention.. You can take calls anywhere / anytime
Old 1st September 2013, 22:05   #5600
Senior - BHPian

Oncoming signal is green and traffic is coming. Yet this Merc person tries to cut off the traffic and push ahead. Maybe he thought the left turn is also applicable for going straight on!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130831_102402.jpg

90 seconds left, everyone is standing behind the zebra crossing (for a change) and then this person goes and stands in front. Why ???

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130831_104400.jpg
Old 1st September 2013, 22:08   #5601
BHPian

Was a witness to a shocking scene today. I was approaching a T junction, and from the left there was a Indi-cab taxi driver coming. At the junction there is a bump and it is perfectly matched with the road colour and is difficult to diffrentiate. The indi-cab driver as expected comes at some good speed over the bump and the car jumps up and while coming down, the front overhang of the indi-cab touched the ground. You can Imagine the speed he might have been doing. This was no huge bump, only the regular ones we have in the city. The passenger in car were not bothered at all and were busy on their phones.
Old 1st September 2013, 22:32   #5602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Merc person tries to cut off the traffic
Attachment 1132634
90 seconds left, everyone is standing behind the zebra crossing (for a change) and then this person goes and stands in front. Why ???
Attachment 1132635
I always expect 'more' discipline from drivers of upper end cars, either owners or chauffeurs.!

Here it seems to be different.

- Sai
Old 1st September 2013, 22:52   #5603
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
The indi-cab driver as expected comes at some good speed over the bump and the car jumps up and while coming down, the front overhang of the indi-cab touched the ground. You can Imagine the speed he might have been doing. This was no huge bump, only the regular ones we have in the city.
If the bump is a small one and the car is at high speeds then a small hump will also translate to a ramp to get the car in air. It is a very risky affair. Imagine if there were pedestrians near and the car would have lost control it would be disastrous.

These indi-cab guys just don't have the patience on road or while waiting at the signal. The worst attitude I have seen after the auto's.

Quote:
The passenger in car were not bothered at all and were busy on their phones.
Equally responsible are the passengers in the car. They don't object or complain to the higher ups about such rash driving and try to stop it. These cabbies drive like F1 on the city roads.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2013, 23:00   #5604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
These cabbies drive like F1 on the city roads.

Anurag.
Equally ill maintained cars I must add. I still remember an instance when a cab(sumo) was trailing me on a narrow city road with no space for me to give him way. His high beams were blindning me and all I could do is drive ahead. It was a small divided road and no way I could let him pass.

As soon as I saw an opening along the side of the road, I stopped my car and gave him the much needed space he was demanding for. In those 500 mtrs, I had heard many many horns and had to face the wrath of his lights.
Old 2nd September 2013, 00:14   #5605
BANNED

Quote:
Equally ill maintained cars I must add. I still remember an instance when a cab(sumo) was trailing me on a narrow city road with no space for me to give him way. His high beams were blindning me and all I could do is drive ahead. It was a small divided road and no way I could let him pass.

As soon as I saw an opening along the side of the road, I stopped my car and gave him the much needed space he was demanding for. In those 500 mtrs, I had heard many many horns and had to face the wrath of his lights.
This is the situation every where buddy. They just bully with the Sumo's and Winger's. Apart from the high beam thing that you have pointed out the indi-cab's that ply on the road are thought to be maintenance-free and owners feel that why waste money in servicing them. The amount of black smoke that plummets out of these is the worst and in combination will lorries they destroy the whole atmosphere.

They are least bothered and not worried if they would be caught for pollution. Worst nightmare is you have to lug behind these cabs with the smoke they gift us.

Anurag.
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:11   #5606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Maybe he saw the second zebra crossing and thought that one was applicable for him

Another thing routinely noticed at traffic junctions is whenever the countdown nears 20 seconds, one rick/bike/car will move forward slowly - then another one will move inches ahead of him till everyone suddenly decides enough is enough ! and they vrooom off with about 5-8 seconds left on the timer.
luvDriving is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:21   #5607
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday, I was stopped at a red signal. The vehicle on my right moved off: maybe he was taking a right turn and had an arrow, or doing a u-turn, I didn't see the signal. But I went into sheep mode and moved off too, realising too late that the other vehicles stayed where they were and, yes, the signal was red.

Luckily, it was safe ...and no policeman, but certainly bad driving.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 21:07   #5608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yesterday, I was stopped at a red signal. The vehicle on my right moved off: maybe he was taking a right turn and had an arrow, or doing a u-turn, I didn't see the signal. But I went into sheep mode and moved off too, realising too late that the other vehicles stayed where they were and, yes, the signal was red.

Luckily, it was safe ...and no policeman, but certainly bad driving.
Bad boy Nick Here's a free infraction for jumping red
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 22:51   #5609
BHPian

Today met another bad driver, a well educated lady (at least appeared to be) managed to squeeze her Maruti DZire on road side. Then she abruptly opened the driver's door without looking around. A person was walking parallel to the car got hit by the door and he lost his balance. Though he regained his balance, some packets fallen down. The lady walked away after giving a look. At least she could have offered a sorry ..
Old 4th September 2013, 00:29   #5610
Team-BHP Support

On my way to office today, spotted another indicab adjacent to us in traffic near Silkboard junction smoking from the engine bay. Asked my cabbie to point it out to the driver.

My cabbie passed on the info through the passenger in the other cab. Guess what the response was?

"Driver says it's OK, doesn't seem anything major. He will check it out after dropping us off at work". The two techies in the back didn't even bother to look up from their smartphones. What do you say to such educated morons?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks