Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2012, 07:54   #4741
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
(Sorry to be blunt) And for that he gets to create a new medical emergency as per his wishes? Whatever be the reason, one expects a sane person to drive as sanely as possible. Last I checked that's why we give way to ambulances.
Am not trying to defend the Honda city guy in any way.

But just imagine what would be our instant reaction when you keep trailing a slow moving bullock kart or a people mover for over 500m?? Have we never tried to overtake in such a circumstance?

In this case, the 40+ gentleman honked flashed and sought the OP's approval to overtake but our dear friend played the cop.

It is not to clear if there was a physical divider dividing the roads. From what the OP has described there seems to be no physical divider at all.

We should never take the risk of policing others on the road that would go on to feature us on this thread.

A little give and take at times doesn't hurt. We don't always live life by the rule book. Rules are framed just to make like easy!!
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 08:23   #4742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
And at every bus stop, they halt mostly in the middle so that the BMTC buses cannot pass them. It's high time that action be taken against these thugs.
Yeah this is another irritating thing which they do. These days, to go towards NICE road(during peak hours), I bypass this stretch by taking the road next to Prestige Nottinghill and join near gottigere junction. Its not such a good road but allows me to drive peacefully and helps me to avoid these idiots. Once in a while i take this main road and end up facing such incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i slowed down and stopped in my tracks; the driver of the car flashes his lights and honks, but i don't budge. finally he as no other go but to stop, let the 709 pass and then get back to his lane.
IMO, Its not worth the risk at least when you are in a smaller vehicle. We really don't know the state of mind of the other driver. He could be in a drunken state, mentally unstable, or frustrated for something else. Even though he may not have the intention to run over any one its just a split second decision that may go wrong. Such incidents are not going to teach any lasting lessons to these idiots.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 08:36   #4743
Senior - BHPian

The car wasn't travelling fast, he was stuck behind the 709 and was just emerging and hence I took the risk. But yeah, I get the point - I shouldn't have done it
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 09:38   #4744
Distinguished - BHPian

Yet another Govt vehicle contributing to this thread. Today morning on my way to office, I saw an Innova honking continuously with lights on. Seeing this, I pull to the left and let him pass. It's was a min car (Kerala State 8). He was cruising at 100 (Min) during rush hours and many bikers had close calls. Tried some dangerous overtaking mane overs on the bridge too which shook many drivers.

I know you might be late for some meeting or inauguration but respect other motorists too.
Old 8th December 2012, 10:35   #4745
Senior - BHPian

@ Naveen: The less said about the so called VIP's cars the better. We are the ones who put them in power and they trample all over us. The way the cops in the Pilot car wave their hands and honk mercilessly making you make way for the VIP. Signals are switched off and traffic is blocked to let the dude pass.

It's a crazy world we live in which is getting crazier day by day.
Old 8th December 2012, 10:49   #4746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur
6. Numerous truck drivers (doing 60 kmph) who took it upon themselves to suddenly swerve into the right lane (on two-laned stretches) just as I was approaching them doing +100 kmph. This after flashing them and honking at them in advance, and the left lane being empty for a long stretch. (I lost a bit of the respect I had for truck drivers after this drive.)
+1 to that, I don't understand the logic. They are well complimented by rickshaw drivers, at least in Mumbai. I've not seen a single rickshaw driver who has looked into the mirror or looked back before turning.
Old 8th December 2012, 11:01   #4747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
@ Naveen: The less said about the so called VIP's cars the better. We are the ones who put them in power and they trample all over us. The way the cops in the Pilot car wave their hands and honk mercilessly making you make way for the VIP. Signals are switched off and traffic is blocked to let the dude pass.

It's a crazy world we live in which is getting crazier day by day.
True dude. I see them flying down the streets almost everyday. But why on city roads and at those speeds? What I said is true. He was easily doing 100+ during peak hours and honking continuously (those aftermarket horns alone will scare the life of everyone). Since the mentioned road is wide and got comparatively less traffic, it's really dangerous. We all let him pass and respect his time and busy schedule but what I saw today was crazy. Thank god those bikers managed to pull out at the last sec.
Old 8th December 2012, 11:15   #4748
Senior - BHPian

@Naveen: seen those VIP innovas and ambys with four huge horns in the front?! For what joy god only knows.
Old 8th December 2012, 15:29   #4749
Senior - BHPian

I agree with @IronH4WK, as has followed the same act (dead stop in my lane to force the other guy/ dame in correct lane) many times including this morning. But, at times these guys have the audacity to drive right upto your face... & then, I admit, I had to stop preaching & swallow my pride... uttering Punjabi well-wishes, rather being a news item in next days morning feed.

Let me apprise about what happened today morning. There is a busy intersection (with signals) barely half a km from my home which consist of a 6 lane carriage way & 2 lane sector road (there are road level foot path on both sides of road which is used by smartians to park vehicles & walk to nearby market for groceries & all). When I was about to reach the signal it was yellow for me, which meant, I had to slow down for the red signal, but to my surprise (actually not as it has become a routine) there were vehicles entering the sector road from all other directions, implying they were jumping the signal. These days I am not concerned with the rule breakers till it does not affect my rule following habit, but, this morning was different as the rule breakers were ruling the road... & both sides of it .

There was a shared autos waiting on the level pavement on both sides of road for savaris, & as such in any case only 2 lanes (actual road) could be used. There was a tractor with a trolley in tow in the correct lane, followed by another shared auto with savaris. However, there is a Swift Dzire (old type) trying to overtake this auto followed by an i10 (partially in ly lane) & there come my superheros on a TVS Starcity without helmets (with wind brushing their hair... & in winters there won't be insect in mouth anyway) blocking any part of road that I could have used on my Bajaj Pulsar. I could not go anywhere (Pulsar has 5 forward gears only) & had to anchor on the same place, otherwise those idiots would have embraced me (sorry, I am not interested in any Dostana, I am happily married & more than satisfied being a straight). Suddenly, the rider realizes that I won't let him ride his... errr in my way, & brakes with a force that the pillion must have competed the Dostana act on the rider. He is not happy/ satisfied, either me not letting him the road or probably the pillion wasn't good enough... but I have tasted victory this time.

However, it does not happen all the time & there have been instances when I have been humbled by monsters (due to some pressure... physical or personal/ professional) which have tried to brush my car bike, just to save few seconds of their life, which they are going to loose anyway.

It seems that money/ education or upbringing are not relevant, but it is the attitude what matters for these morons who or whose father owns the road.
Old 8th December 2012, 15:29   #4750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
there were just two bikes behind me, about 50mts out. in hindsight it might have been a stupid thing to do, but at that moment i was just peeved how people drive any which way they feel like with utter disregard to other people's lives!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
+1 to this.
I too have done this, at slow speeds though. If you have been on Wind Tunnel Road in Murugeshpalya (Bangalore), you would know what I mean. At times, I drive slowly with my right tires on the dotted line not allowing the oncoming traffic to hog my lane, or whatever is left of it!

On a different note, everytime I step into my car, I resolve to be calm on the road that day. And every time I meet fools on the road who make me break my resolve!

Culprits: Bolero pickup and Silver Santro in the middle lane
Crime: Both sharply cut into my lane in spite of a very tight space (usual on that stretch) and me honking heavily!

Last edited by nileshch : 8th December 2012 at 15:32.
Old 8th December 2012, 19:05   #4751
BHPian

A McD has opened newly near my place. The location is pretty bad, right at the entrance of a huge housing complex and right off Eastern Express Highway; all the ingredients of a parking disaster. This afternoon, I saw a Verna parked as can be expected from idiots.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image614865778.jpg

I also had been to Korum mall, which has multi-level parking. While coming back, there was a Maruti 800 ahead of me. It's driver souls qualify to be among the biggest idiots, he/she was honking all the way down to the exit. The exit way is one way and there is no way vehicles can can from the opposite side AND there is not enough place for another car!
Old 8th December 2012, 19:35   #4752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Culprits: Bolero pickup and Silver Santro in the middle lane
Crime: Both sharply cut into my lane in spite of a very tight space (usual on that stretch) and me honking heavily!
MORONS! This is the only word that crosses my mind. That pickup, was he completely out of his mind? Driving a big vehicle like a cycle is something totally unexpected. That was too close with that pickup! I think, you should have kept enough distance (I mean KEEP AWAY) when the moron was cutting others all the way from the extreme left. That was real bad driving.

The santro guy should have backed, given that you are in your lane and he was trying to cut in between you and the vehicle on the left.
I hope you don't need to encounter more of these kind in your daily traffic.

Did you try putting this up on BTP page on facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
A McD has opened newly near my place. The location is pretty bad, right at the entrance of a huge housing complex and right off Eastern Express Highway; all the ingredients of a parking disaster. This afternoon, I saw a Verna parked as can be expected from idiots.

Attachment 1024434
This kind of parking is quite common in my locality!
We have a two way road with a divider. On one side of the divider, there is some sewage work going on, and the that part of the road is shut completely. Both the sides of traffic, use only one side of the road, and there too, there are people parking in the way as in your pic. Imagine a scene where a bus has to pass, all opposite side traffic has to stop to let it pass! It creates such a nuisance!

Here is an image that I put up some pages ago. It shows how cars are parked sometimes. The road on the other side is now blocked, and both ways traffic is now via one single lane. What happens when these literate idiots flaunt their vehicle sizes like this?

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-abcd0012.jpg
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 20:03   #4753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
MORONS! This is the only word that crosses my mind. That pickup, was he completely out of his mind? Driving a big vehicle like a cycle is something totally unexpected. That was too close with that pickup! I think, you should have kept enough distance (I mean KEEP AWAY) when the moron was cutting others all the way from the extreme left. That was real bad driving.
In hindsight, I could have backed off earlier. But at that moment, he appeared in my focal vision only when he came into the middle lane. I was minding my business till that point!

Quote:
The santro guy should have backed, given that you are in your lane and he was trying to cut in between you and the vehicle on the left.
I hope you don't need to encounter more of these kind in your daily traffic.
In spite of the heavy honking, the santro guy cared a damn when I passed him later. He was driving like nothing happened!

Quote:
Did you try putting this up on BTP page on facebook?
Would this clip illicit any action from the cops? I doubt. They will say there is no concrete charge/fine to slap on the drivers! Probably that's why everybody gets away with such maneuvers!

Quote:
What happens when these literate idiots flaunt their vehicle sizes like this?
I am sure they will pay for their idiocy with a nice scratch or dent on the vehicle some day. Leave it to the rest of the idiots on the road!
Old 8th December 2012, 20:28   #4754
BHPian

Quote:
In spite of the heavy honking, the santro guy cared a damn when I passed him later. He was driving like nothing happened!
I was wondering if you tried to communicate with that guy. Some sort of eye contact or so. I am sure he would act as if nothing had happened, he was at fault afterall!
Quote:
Would this clip illicit any action from the cops? I doubt. They will say there is no concrete charge/fine to slap on the drivers! Probably that's why everybody gets away with such maneuvers!
does this not come under lane cutting? I have heard that BTP is quite active on facebook. I think someone here was booked for lanecutting or someone had reported it, IIRC. Not sure in which thread though!

Quote:
I am sure they will pay for their idiocy with a nice scratch or dent on the vehicle some day. Leave it to the rest of the idiots on the road!
I have seen the same person park more than once the same way, blocking the road. I hope they learn soon, even if its the hard way! As a saying goes, "laato k bhoot baato se nahi mante". Loosely translated as "some people don't learn the right way". Hatchbacks parked like this are not an issue, but sedans and suv's block much more. Issue arises, when the police tows ONLY the smaller (hatchbacks) ones, leaving behind the larger ones!

Last edited by carzone : 8th December 2012 at 20:29.
Old 8th December 2012, 21:20   #4755
Mik
BHPian

This happened two days back.
While going to office, from the main road there is a left turn. A middle-aged man on a splendor was taking a turn. A wagon R was tailing him and i was on my bike just behind the wagon R.
The man must have fumbled or something, and his bag fell off the bike. Hence he got down to pick it up. The WagonR guy could easily have changed course and moved ahead. Instead, he kept honking furiously till the middle aged man had picked up the bag. My blood boiled and after taking the turn, i gave the wagon R guy the finger and zoomed ahead (helps that my bike is much faster than the average hatch)
I know it wasn't the right thing to do, but seriously - i am shocked to see such inhumanity.
By the way, the Wagon R guy wasn't some illiterate guy, he was dressed in formals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks