Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2008, 12:14   #451
Team-BHP Support

I cross speed breakers as straight as possible on my bike.
Increase speed, just about to climb touch the front disc brakes.
Immediately release brakes and accelerate hard.

Fly.

Love it when it goes perfect.

Note: If you fall and break something it can and it will HURT.

I don't even dare to try this stunt on my Wagon R.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2008, 12:21   #452
BHPian

I had seen a video of top gear where they proved that going slow over the speedbreaker is less bumpy than going fast over it

Last edited by team suzuki : 5th September 2008 at 12:34.
Old 5th September 2008, 12:22   #453
BHPian

May be the corsa guy wants his suspension to stay alive forever....

Last edited by team suzuki : 5th September 2008 at 12:36.
Old 5th September 2008, 13:06   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
The way he took the speedbreakers was amusing. He drove in a 'S' pattern and took the speedbreakers from an angle instead of going straight over them.
Is this just bad driving or is there a rationale behind this? He was infringing the path of the vehicles behind him as well as the path of on coming traffic. Can someone explain this way of crossing speed breakers?
Cheers,
Rajan
Is is a best practice followed. Make your own road!!
Old 5th September 2008, 20:35   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
The way he took the speedbreakers was amusing. He drove in a 'S' pattern and took the speedbreakers from an angle instead of going straight over them. As he approached the speedbreaker, he would veer to the extreme left of the road and then start driving back to the centre of the road and cross the speed breaker at an angle. The moment he crossed, by which time he was at 45 degrees to the direction of the road, he would veer left again and straighten up, only to approach the next speed breaker.

This method is called 1-2-3-4 and used to be employed by drivers of older vehicles. I have seen this with old Ambys and Fiats. Probable reason being that they had hard shockers and old generation suspensions which caused much discomfort to the passengers. The theory is that it helps in avoiding jerks associated with crossing speed breakers. In modern cars this is obviated, except for cars with very low clearance. Having owned a Corsa, I believe this guy was doing the right thing, though such a deep S is overdoing it, because some of the Corsa's had real soft shockers and even a small hump would cause the car to graze. I had this problem till I got it sorted out at the GM service center
Old 6th September 2008, 11:53   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

5) When there’s a sharp turn at low speeds, both hands do a wonderful team work and you can see one hand transferring one part of steering to the other hand gracefully before going down and fetching some more steering from the bottom, which is getting rotated as a result of this entire process.
SPLENDID Max

BTW all your `Uncle driving' syndromes are also applicable to most of the newbies fresh out of the driving school and driving a brand new car with large `L' s stuck on their windscreens.
Old 6th September 2008, 18:50   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tMax View Post
SPLENDID Max

BTW all your `Uncle driving' syndromes are also applicable to most of the newbies fresh out of the driving school and driving a brand new car with large `L' s stuck on their windscreens.
Thats exactly right. Most of the driving schools teach this process to rotate the steering quickly.
Old 8th September 2008, 11:06   #458
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thats exactly right. Most of the driving schools teach this process to rotate the steering quickly.
Mostly b'coz the driving schools rarely have cars with power steering, and you do need the strength of both hands to quickly rotate the steering of a car without PS.

I am sure it's been posted several times, but people driving with fog lamps on and headlights at high beam right at you on a cratered road really get my goat, and I have noticed this mostly of scorpio drivers. I have started replying in kind and I am just waiting until I get a pair of x-treme power +80% to truly teach these people a lesson.
Old 8th September 2008, 14:08   #459
BHPian

Yesterday - 7th September -i noticed a young man driving his car in the opposite direction (against the flow of traffic), on a 6 lane arterial road in Mumbai. In case of an accident it is perilous for the law breaker and those who are law abiding.

I politely asked him why was he obstructing traffic and and driving lawlessly. He asked me if I was a cop. Finally I did get my point across that that his lawbreaking was not tolerable.

The concern is how can Civilians like us get such errant drivers to respect the traffic rules so that our roads are safer, especially with increase in automobile numbers.

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th September 2008 at 14:17. Reason: Color & font tags are not supported by Forum software please remove them before posting
Old 8th September 2008, 14:39   #460
Senior - BHPian

Bad drivers/riders dont have to be spotted. they stand out!

Krishtk, In India the situation is getting worse every day because of the attitude of the people "Who cares" & "Who are you to ask".
Old 13th September 2008, 13:14   #461
BHPian

Regarding..
Can someone explain this way of crossing speed breakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Enjoys getting humped four times instead of only twice, LOL?!!
Reminds me of the "Mad comics" depicting the invention of wheels. This 'mad' character invented the wheel though there was a slight problem. The wheel was 'square' instead of circle. The ride was too bumpy. Suddenly he was strucked with a brilliant idea to make the ride better. He made the wheel 'triangle', effectively eliminating one bump per rotation.

Its the same case here. Approaching a speed-breaker at an angle will increase the number of bumps but the force of the bumps will be smaller. But driving all over the road is a dangerous habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
In any case, since he's obstructing others, this would have to be called bad driving.
Right on.
Old 27th September 2008, 07:41   #462
BHPian

There are so many Bad Drivers that I guess we need to modify the thread and make it "Good Drivers How to Spot Them"
Old 27th September 2008, 13:10   #463
BHPian

How to spot a bad driver?
Simple. Just look out the window. The cardinal rule of driving is "The Other Guy is always an a**hole."
[No offence mods, just quoting something my Dad told me 12 years ago].

The other day, I was driving home in my new Swift in some heavy traffic. The Getz on my left starts to veer into my lane, despite the fact that it's completely alongside me. I honked once, twice, and then kept my hand jammed on the horn. No effect. If I hadn't braked and let the chick driving (must have been in her late teens or early twenties) cut in front of me, she would have completely sideswiped me.

Chivalry and maturity be dammed. Gunned it, overtook her from the left, and then did the SAME thing to her. She kept honking, I kept cutting in. She had to brake and concede the spot. I was SO pissed off, if she hadn't done it I would have sideswiped her. She pulled up alongside and flipped me the finger, and I in return told her to go and do something objectionable and x-rated to herself.

I know it sounds childish and immature, but she had to know that you can't take other drivers on the road for granted. She had NO right doing what she did.
Old 27th September 2008, 16:39   #464
BHPian

Thats called road rage !! it happens to most of us, unless you are a Zen Buddhist
Someone may knowingly or unknowingly do something to us and then we "show them". At that time you feel good and right.
Quite often i see some jerk/cab/auto/van on IRR at a speed of 30-40 on the fastest lane. No matter how much you honk they don't move. Then I overtake them from left get in their lane and slow down to below their speed to give them a taste of their own medicine.
Now if they were on tbhp, they'd call me a bad driver I guess i am one or were they the bad driver!! Or they were bad first and I was bad because of them hehe I can go on
Old 27th September 2008, 21:07   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Chivalry and maturity be dammed. Gunned it, overtook her from the left, and then did the SAME thing to her. She kept honking, I kept cutting in. She had to brake and concede the spot. I was SO pissed off, if she hadn't done it I would have sideswiped her. She pulled up alongside and flipped me the finger, and I in return told her to go and do something objectionable and x-rated to herself.
That was wholesome fight on the road!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks