Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2012, 10:25   #4321
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Usual story-

Yesterday, around 9 pm, at on of those lights at Dapodi on the Bombay Road.

The traffic is sparse, and the light turns red. I stop at the red light. a few vehicles are turning from the road on the right onto our road as they have the green light.

A silver Ritz , which was following me, was perhaps a bit surprised that I chose to stop (!) . He pulls up right behind me ( the road is quite wide and I am on the center lane, and there is no other vehicle at the signal apart from the two of us - My car, and the Ritz sniffing up my backside. ). A couple of cars are still turning from the right road, and a couple of folks are crossing the road.

He is NOT happy I stopped, and Off he goes toot-toot-toot.

30 seconds to go for the green. I stay put.

The toot-toot continues and I see him frantically trying to move move over to the left lane. He is too close and I am worried whether he will kiss my rear bumper.

Then he REVERSEs a couple of feet and whizzes past by me on the left. around 5 seconds to go.

The light turns green, and I move forward.

Catches up with the ritz soon as he had suddenly lost his sense of urgency.

I follow him over the bridge, and then I had to take a left turn at the Khadki signal to proceed towards Viman Nagar. He proceeds straight.

Another day, another idiot.
Bigzero is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 12:50   #4322
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Almost got into a crash because of a moron like this on a bike. Stopped the car, got out and gave him a tight slap across the face. Happened just earlier this week on the Nagar highway.
First up - Brother, forum rules and repeated instructions from moderators prohibit members of this forum from posting such statements. As an individual you have the right to decide between right and wrong - but while you are in here please respect the rules of this forum when you air your views. Im sure every member in here agrees with the rest of your post.

Secondly - Do you honestly believe that your action served any other purpose than to let you vent your anger? Are you convinced that your action resulted in reforming the errant biker? I would hazard a guess that you probably left him agitated and in an enraged state of mind for the rest of his commute - potentially increasing the risk to other road users en route.

Please take a moment to think about better ways to handle a similar situation in future.

Please take my feedback in the right spirit. My apologies if this post offends you. That is certainly not the intention.
Zed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 15:05   #4323
Senior - BHPian

^^I dont support hitting anyone either; I hate hitting anyone else as much as I hate being hit by someone. In any case, its not our responsibility to educate people.

On the other hand, I can imagine why this grates so much on our nerves. Two days ago, I was headed home on my two wheeler on the extreme left lane of a 6 lane road when I see a Swift coming up my lane in the wrong direction. It was my downstairs neighbour (lives one floor below our apartment) trying to save driving 100 metres and taking a uturn. An Etios overtook me from the middle lane, speeded up, showed the left indicator and moved into my lane. This was about 50 metres in front of me. He slowed down and came face to face with my neighbours Swift. By this time, I had reached the scene. I simply checked my left RVM, moved to the middle lane and overtook the standoff and proceeded on my way. Swift had no option but to stop right in front of the Etios who refused to budge/ reverse or even look at the opposite driver. On the contrary he took out his mobile and started fiddling with it.

The Swift co passenger (his wife) had a confused expression as if to say why is he doing this though there are 2 more empty lanes. I took a left into our building and waited at the gate. The Swift reversed, and the Etios followed it. Not sure what happened next as I had to go home, but I hope the Etios fellow didnt give up.

The Swift fellow is a moron, no doubt. but I would still not take the effort to get down and slap him. Blocking him out seems a better option. On the other hand its not long before I report an accident at the same spot.

Last edited by selfdrive : 24th August 2012 at 15:06.
Old 24th August 2012, 16:00   #4324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
^^I dont support hitting anyone either; I hate hitting anyone else as much as I hate being hit by someone. In any case, its not our responsibility to educate people.

I simply checked my left RVM, moved to the middle lane and overtook the standoff and proceeded on my way.

The Swift co passenger (his wife) had a confused expression as if to say why is he doing this though there are 2 more empty lanes. I took a left into our building and waited at the gate. The Swift reversed, and the Etios followed it. Not sure what happened next as I had to go home, but I hope the Etios fellow didnt give up.
Just nitpicking. I believe you looked in the Right(literally) mirror and wrongly typed as left mirror. If at all you had looked into left mirror to switch to the lane on your right side, well going by your motto, I am not saying any further.

Well you are correct on staying away, but ignoring such people will not discourage/change them rather is going to encourage every other person to take the same path as no one opposes. There are more diplomatic ways to make a human being realise his mistake and violence is not the option. Also we cannot wash our hands off saying that govt. has to correct the procedures and we have nothing to do untill sarkar does nothing. We are a part of the government and this society.

"Nothing changes unless it is met with resistance" - Newton's second law modified!
Old 24th August 2012, 16:55   #4325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Just nitpicking. I believe you looked in the Right(literally) mirror and wrongly typed as left mirror. If at all you had looked into left mirror to switch to the lane on your right side, well going by your motto, I am not saying any further.
ha ha, you are correct. I should have said right ORVM. My bad.
Normally I would have waited and supported the Etios fellow, but had to reach home urgently as I was taking some medicines home.

Now that the incident is done, I could also speak to this fellow inside the society, but I dont think that would help. I guess he will learn when he meets his match next.

Edit: not because I shy away from educating him, but just because I know what a moron he is. there have been enough examples of his behaviour with others in the building.

Last edited by selfdrive : 24th August 2012 at 17:04.
Old 27th August 2012, 00:15   #4326
Distinguished - BHPian

Mindless morons doing a wheelie on the normally crowded Bannerghatta Road between Dairy circle and Jayadeva Jn. There were 2 bikes, one Yamaha and One Honda Dio. The guys on the Dio took a tumble and here they are mid-fall. I'm sure no one who saw the incident felt bad for them and every one must have felt that the guys deserved the fall. These kind of morons are on the increase in the bangalore city roads risking others lives as well.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-snap1.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0064optimized.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-snap2.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 11:08   #4327
Senior - BHPian

These biking morons who do these dangerous stunts on public roads never learn their lessons unless they lose their limb or life.
They are a huge menace near my house.
Apart from doing these stunts they also race with their loud bikes through the narrow residential lanes at 2 or 3am in the morning causing distress to the sleeping residents.

I once saw these morons crash into a parked car and did a lot of damage to the car. These idiots just picked up their bike and sped away after the crash.

Call me insensitive, but every time I see these morons on the roads, I always wish they crash and learn a lesson.
speedmiester is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 11:33   #4328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
These biking morons who do these dangerous stunts on public roads never learn their lessons unless they lose their limb or life.
I, once again, recall what my grandma used to say: "All the bikers who could not get killed yesterday, try their luck today."

Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 13:30   #4329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Mindless morons doing a wheelie on the normally crowded Bannerghatta Road between Dairy circle and Jayadeva Jn.
That's outright dangerous. Even if he doesn't have a head injury, he will have broken bones at some point of time. And sooner or later, he will hurt some innocent person. I pity the poor Dio which is being abused. Every time I see a matt black painted Dio with the rear mud-guard missing, it pains me, why would anyone want to do such a thing to such a nice vehicle?
Old 27th August 2012, 13:38   #4330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
These kind of morons are on the increase in the bangalore city roads risking others lives as well.
Honestly they got what they deserved. These jokers are increasing by the day. I stay in Jayanagar 3rd Block which is purely residential area and there are some morons who have be doing wheelies from a long time now. On a couple of occasions I have informed the cops and they have actually chased then down. Yesterday mid afternoon, I hear a loud bang and I rush to see what it was! 4 boys on a Yamaha tried doing a wheelie and had a very very bad fall just near my car. For a second I my heart skipped a bit, what if they have hit my car? I run down and hit the road and luckily no harm done.

I go to the boys and ask them "WHY" they just pickup the bike and scoot . These guys should be canned and their bikes impounded!
Old 27th August 2012, 13:57   #4331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
For the good biker.
For your action against the biker and for lady with her new verna.
sorry mate, control your rage. physical abuse might get nasty for you or your dear ones. Please ignore them and keep moving. "To err is humane and to forgive is divine" - we in TBHP are a divine combination of like minded- rule following drive addicts. So please control your anger. Its good for your health, forget about the morons coming in wrong direction, they will face the music someday. Not all days will be their lucky angels with them.
I understand what I did with the Biker could have been avoided. It is just that sometimes it is too much of a strain to avoid such morons. Though I come across such incidents almost every day, I let it pass. Arrogance is something I cannot put up with and that is probably why this biker got it.
I certainly wouldnt advise anyone doing this and I pledge to keep my cool, put a good song and drive on.

However with the lady, I dont get how that was wrong. I didn't abuse her, SHE was abusing the parking attendant. I was very polite and calmly offered to help her with parking being courteous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
First up - Brother, forum rules and repeated instructions from moderators prohibit members of this forum from posting such statements. As an individual you have the right to decide between right and wrong - but while you are in here please respect the rules of this forum when you air your views. Im sure every member in here agrees with the rest of your post.

Secondly - Do you honestly believe that your action served any other purpose than to let you vent your anger? Are you convinced that your action resulted in reforming the errant biker? I would hazard a guess that you probably left him agitated and in an enraged state of mind for the rest of his commute - potentially increasing the risk to other road users en route.

Please take a moment to think about better ways to handle a similar situation in future.

Please take my feedback in the right spirit. My apologies if this post offends you. That is certainly not the intention.
It doesn't offend me one bit. I do realise my folly. But sometimes, you do tend to lose it.

Meditation time!
Old 27th August 2012, 14:17   #4332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
I certainly wouldnt advise anyone doing this and I pledge to keep my cool, put a good song and drive on.

However with the lady, I dont get how that was wrong. I didn't abuse her, SHE was abusing the parking attendant. I was very polite and calmly offered to help her with parking being courteous.
Hey mate, Sorry about the confusion, I missed a comma and some bad english caused this confusion. That smiley was for the lady's attitude and not for the help you offered to her. Your courtesy there with the lady, sure deserves a
Old 28th August 2012, 18:57   #4333
BHPian

Lady in the WagonR comes, parks her car, and leaves. Imagine that if the santro or the zen guy wants to remove the car, and even I had left my car, what would that person do?
Had been in a similar situation where my car was stuck for almost half an hour before the person arrived.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-abcd0006.jpg

P.S.: I have not parked on the driving lane. The place where I have parked, a bus was already parked behind me and I parked in front of that bus. The lady has almost parked it on the road. Can't blame the lady as mostly that lane is used for parking during the time which the school nearby leaves.
Old 28th August 2012, 19:09   #4334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
P.S.: I have not parked on the driving lane. The place where I have parked, a bus was already parked behind me and I parked in front of that bus.
What happens when the bus leaves? your parked car would also look like an offending vehicle.

Anything outside the line is a traffic offence and likely to be either towed away. or have a wheel jammer put in place with a mobile number scrawled in chalk on your window. I am not sure how that helps in the rainy season but thats a separate topic.
Old 28th August 2012, 20:46   #4335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
What happens when the bus leaves? your parked car would also look like an offending vehicle.

Anything outside the line is a traffic offence and likely to be either towed away. or have a wheel jammer put in place with a mobile number scrawled in chalk on your window. I am not sure how that helps in the rainy season but thats a separate topic.
Thats the reason buddy I was waiting in the car all the way till the school left and my sister arrived (around 20 minutes). In this kind of situations, I always have some one with me who can wait in a car or go and do the work. If at all I had to leave the car, I would have parked it somewhere else. As per my sentence in the above post suggests, I had not literally parked the car, I was in it all the time.

You talk of towing vehicles away, during my incident where a car had parked behind my car at the very same spot, a tow truck passed by and did not do anything even after us requesting it to tow the car away.

Last edited by carzone : 28th August 2012 at 20:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks