Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2012, 17:42   #4276
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Came across this at Ec/Hosur road signal. This BMTC bus trying to cross and get on to other side, blocking the leftmost lane on Hosur road, poor guys who had to go straight had tough time . The signal you see is for the traffic on main road and not for traffic on service road from where the bus is approaching the junction.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img2012080900106.jpg  

Milestone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 18:10   #4277
Senior - BHPian

Today on my way to work, I met a charming bad driver. This lady 2 wheeler rider stopped her Activa by ramming it into the front indicator of my bike and then displayed her full set of 32. Probably because her two dangling feet (one one either side, we know the drift) could not help her brake in time. by the way, she was trying to avoid the bus which was peacefully chugging up SB road at 10 kmph on the rightmost lane.
A few years ago and she would have received a prompt verbal riposte. But I dont look for more trouble now. I have enough, I am married!
jokes apart, I didnt say a word as she was wearing a helmet and at least seemed apologetic.

which makes me wonder. how many of us would react differently to a female bad driver for a minor traffic offence than to a male one? come on, admit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Reason being we can't be 100% sure (how can we) as to the person whom we are flashing may stop but as seen in high number of cases, speeds up and tries to pass or even better starts flashing too. So IMHO one should flash and indicate the opposite driver that I am slowing down or stopping and allowing you to pass rather than "open your eyes/can't you see" here.
Oh, come on now! This will still work if your vehicle is bigger than the oncoming vehicle. No?

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th August 2012 at 18:11.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 19:19   #4278
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile in Chennai,

I have to confess, even I broke the traffic rule by not stopping before the white line.

OT: You can spot a german on a flat bed truck at the end.
Old 16th August 2012, 20:05   #4279
BHPian

It seems that bad bikers not just affect car drivers but also other bikers. Today evening I just went for a ride in my neighborhood. Saw 7bad bikers in 10minutes.

Example 1: even if I'm sticking to the leftmost part of the road, he had to overtake from the left only. And it doesn't just end there. After overtaking immediately they switch on the RH indicator and and without stopping to let others pass, they cut through the lane and take a right.

Example 2: overtakes you from the right without realizing why you are slowing down. And then as he realises his mistake, he brakes hard and skids to a stop in front of the speed breaker and you simply glide across him with a big grin on your face.

Usually I ride an activa, but today was on a bigger bike. I had almost a heart in mouth situation twice having to pump the discs hard because of these people. I was doing 30-50kmph (with the radiator and engine microwaving my calves.) since at night these people tend to come out of nowhere and you better be prepared for any emergency situations.

It seems no matter what I ride or drive, bad bikers seems to catch up with me somehow. And many of these guys are unapologetic and are not even of legal age for a license.(common Bangalore phenomenon) These guys are the worst of the lot. My friends dad was T Boned by a juvenile and hospitalized for months. Yet nothing could be done to the minor. They just get away with it.

And ever since then I'm wary of such individuals and try to stay as far away as possible. One has to anticipate what the next idiot on the road is going to do and be prepared in advance instead of riding at your own pleasure.

Ride safe guys and be selfish about your own safety.

Last edited by noopster : 17th August 2012 at 11:08. Reason: Please await PM
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 22:05   #4280
Senior - BHPian

Today saw an Esteem driven by a guy with hid right elbow on the window sill. Bad oart is the ORVM was kept folded.
Perhaps he felt that the mirrors are costlier than his right arm.
Old 16th August 2012, 23:38   #4281
BHPian

Some fun from my part of the world. This from a few minutes ago at my local library. The obnoxious Mr. Iowna Classic Jaguar decided that the dozens upon dozens of empty parking slots at his left were beneath his esteem, and his car deserved a unique space of its own. He decided to leave his car parked in the entryway to the library.

In the very same parking lot, a harried (or hurried) owner decided that shutting the driver-side door of his Sebring was a pure waste of time and energy, thus leaving his car (and its fate) open wide in the parking lot while he went about doing his business at the library. This man had to be a firm believer in destiny. After all, doesn't the saying go: 'if it is yours, it won't leave you' ?
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-2.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-3.jpg  

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 17th August 2012 at 00:06.
NinadJoshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 01:41   #4282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
In the very same parking lot, a harried (or hurried) owner decided that shutting the driver-side door of his Sebring was a pure waste of time and energy, thus leaving his car (and its fate) open wide in the parking lot while he went about doing his business at the library. This man had to be a firm believer in destiny. After all, doesn't the saying go: 'if it is yours, it won't leave you' ?
Height of forgetfulness/urgency!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post

Ride safe guys and be selfish about your own safety.
+1000 I second that! one needs to be very selfish to reach his place safe, if one has to drive in India.

Last edited by noopster : 17th August 2012 at 11:09. Reason: Quoted post has been edited
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 10:51   #4283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Today saw an Esteem driven by a guy with hid right elbow on the window sill. Bad oart is the ORVM was kept folded.
Perhaps he felt that the mirrors are costlier than his right arm.
True. In fact it seems to be an ego issue with many drivers with their ORVMs. their line of thinking is that it shows they cannot drive well. Not only cars, I have seen a lot of bike commuters too pull out their RVMs because it interferes while parking and it is a blow to their ego to be seen driving with one. Forget two! and off they go hurtling into and out of all lanes without caring who or what is speeding up behind them.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:17   #4284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
True. In fact it seems to be an ego issue with many drivers with their ORVMs. their line of thinking is that it shows they cannot drive well. Not only cars, I have seen a lot of bike commuters too pull out their RVMs because it interferes while parking and it is a blow to their ego to be seen driving with one. Forget two! and off they go hurtling into and out of all lanes without caring who or what is speeding up behind them.
That's nothing.

When I asked this acquaintance the reason why he doesn't use his ORVMs on his bike / car, he said, chest swelling with pride, "I'm a good driver, only L-Boards and bad drivers feel the need to use mirrors. Good drivers never look back and are always focused on the road in front of them. If you ride / drive properly while moving forward, you don't need mirrors!"

I wanted to tell him that life's philosophies for success don't apply on the road. (Or else, all bus drivers would be billionaires) But I decided not to. When you're set in your ways, there is no changing you.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th August 2012 at 11:29. Reason: added content
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 11:19   #4285
BHPian

Is there any Bangalorean sending his Kid to one CRM school in a school Bus ? If so, your kid is at risk.

Saw this school mini bus on the road connecting wilson garden to double road. At the signal we were waiting for the green light. As it turned green, I see this bus passing us through the right side ( the wrong lane), zooms past all the cars and makes a tight right turn. Kids had fun feeling the roller coaster effect probably. Then he zig-zags through the traffic all the way to double road fly-over.

If he doesnt ramm against a vehicle, the kids are lucky ! But my bigger worry is that he is spoiling a bunch of kids, who normally see the driver uncle as a hero/role model. I wanted to be a bus driver myself as a kid, seeing him controlling a mighty big bus !
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 11:24   #4286
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
True. In fact it seems to be an ego issue with many drivers with their ORVMs. their line of thinking is that it shows they cannot drive well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That's nothing.

When I asked this acquaintance the reason why he doesn't use his ORVMs on his bike / car, he said, chest swelling with pride, "I'm a good driver, only L-Boards and bad drivers feel the need to use mirrors. Good drivers never look back and are always focused on the road in front of them. If you ride / drive properly while moving forward, you don't need mirrors!"
Reminded me of an on-call driver we had a few years back. He came to us via a relative’s recommendation, and I believe that relative had some grudges against my parents.

According to this guy, OVRMs are not needed because he learnt driving without those, and never used it in his 10 years of driving experience. And also no shoes/sandals while driving as footwear take out the feel of driving.
And this gem of a comment ensured that we did not call him for a second time – should not use 5th gear at all. It’s just there as a fancy stuff, and will reduce mileage and engine-life!!
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 11:27   #4287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
this is one version of it. there could have been another explanation for the rush; it could have housed an IED (i know that's far fetched). please be careful around suspicious vehicles such as the Sebring

be safe!
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 11:31   #4288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi
Could be a bait car. Or maybe the owner was sick of the repeated problems and breakdowns, and wanted the car to be stolen!
Old 17th August 2012, 12:07   #4289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this is one version of it. there could have been another explanation for the rush; it could have housed an IED (i know that's far fetched). please be careful around suspicious vehicles such as the Sebring

be safe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Could be a bait car. Or maybe the owner was sick of the repeated problems and breakdowns, and wanted the car to be stolen!
Why are you guys going violent? I accept that Bangalore is now spreading rumours of violence on our beloved brothers and sisters from North East but guys, come on - Peace. We just celebrated our 66th Independence which was mainly achieved through "Non-Violence". Please no IED's. (or did you mean Idiotically Exiting Driver (IED))
@Kilo Alpha, I know you are my (long lost)evil twin but I never knew you were so evil!!
(just pulling your legs guys!No offence meant.)

Lets spare the poor driver! His wife might have wanted him to bring some book "urgently". Poor fellow!

Elbow hanging out and RVM's removal, common thing in Chennai, especially cabbies. I still remember from my childhood days(90's - YEs, I was a kid in the early 90's. I am not that old- yet!!) that when my cousin brother shifted his bike to chennai from his native, my father adviced him to install the RVM's as in those days police used to fine the bikes without one. ahh What a pleasant time it was! even cycles were required to have lights both in front and back. Wish we remained under-developed yet a rule following, disciplined nation.
Old 17th August 2012, 13:55   #4290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And this gem of a comment ensured that we did not call him for a second time – should not use 5th gear at all. It’s just there as a fancy stuff, and will reduce mileage and engine-life!!
Thinking about this, so do the first two gears as a relative point. If you can contact him, can you please ask if he directly slotted into 3rd gear? I like asking such questions to people like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
We just celebrated our 66th Independence which was mainly achieved through "Non-Violence".
Really? I thought they just had an inkling of how unruly a mob we can be and didnt want to deal with it anymore. They got up and left because the returns on investment were not looking good. As it is, they had already taken away what they wanted to. So in a sense, it is debatable whether it was achieved or just handed over. But then I risk going way offtopic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
When I asked this acquaintance the reason why he doesn't use his ORVMs on his bike / car, he said, chest swelling with pride, "I'm a good driver, only L-Boards and bad drivers feel the need to use mirrors. Good drivers never look back and are always focused on the road in front of them.
Yes, I got this 'gyaan' too about not using rear view mirrors as he considered himself a good driver. Never sat in his car since, but that could be more because he buckled his seatbelt and sat on it to avoid that 'jarring noise'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks