Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2008, 23:09   #391

Talking about Pune.

1. Posers on the bike without lids on their heads. They drive their splendors, ct100's to the limit and have no concern for other vehicles.

2. Some lady drivers on their mopeds with a kid upfront think they literally own the roads- drive in the extreme right with no intention of letting you pass by. Honking only results in a unpleasant stare followed by compliance.

I almost banged into a lady on a moped with a kid standing but thanks due to my good reflex I got saved. The lady thanks me and says sorry.. I'm like *** ?

3. Trucks, Buses , volvo's - Bigger vehicles translate to bigger egos which leads these drivers to think that the roads are meant for them only. Insane lane cutting ,sudden braking no brake lights on the public transport , stopping abruptly at the bus stops without concern for the vehicles at the rear are commonly observed traits.

4. Kiddos : The immature mind and a desire to show off creates a fatal driving style and a false sense of self-esteem.

5. Call centre Cabbies : Much has been said and written about them. Need I say anymore?

6. Superbike owners without helmets and trying to go fast.

7. Signal jumpers : Happens everywhere I have seen people breaking signals even when there is a head constable standing with a revolver and a bike besides him .
Old 3rd March 2008, 13:51   #392
Senior - BHPian

See the Innova ? Was trying to get into the gap between the Swift and the bus.

Old 5th March 2008, 14:11   #393
Senior - BHPian

My eyes look out for (on sadaks of amchi Mumbai) -
1. Vehicles with external RVMs folded.
2. Two wheelers weaving in and out of lanes.
3. Taxiwallahs.
4. Early morning dumper/tipper trucks speeding to & fro construction sites - drivers paid by number of trips !
5. Some lady drivers (help me God... for I hate being lynched...) - seen many of them in animated discussions and waving their hand about... outside the car. And old quip keeps coming to my mind - What does it mean when a lady driver puts her hand out of the window and signals ?
A - Nothing. It just means that the window is open...!
6. Cars with fancy neon lights all around - a great distraction - any time of the day but a real danger at night !
7. Autos with two guys sitting on the driver's seat.
8. I keep rather clear of ST buses - most of them have no indicators and so on...
9. Motorists with sunglasses after sunset...!

Safe driving !

Last edited by Guderian : 5th March 2008 at 14:14.
Old 6th March 2008, 17:29   #394
BHPian

Lane drifters!

Here's an easy way to tell apart a bad driver.. they lane drift.
This usually happens when there is relatively quite a lot of space on the road. You are driving happily in your lane, coming up to go past a car in front. This guy now starts to drift into your lane for no apparent reason other than his lack of driving sense, so obviously you can't go past him, forcing you to either slow down or change lanes yourself.

There's only one thing worse.. the reverse lane drift - having slowed down or changed lanes yourself, you now gear up to go past him again, when lo and behold he pulls the other way and starts to drift in your direction again.

Sticking to one lane seems to come not naturally to a lot of people.. one more behaviour is straight lining any sort of curve in the road. Forget the lanes when the road is turning, who can be bothered to turn the steering wheel even if it means the guy in the next lane has to take evasive manouvers.
Old 7th March 2008, 19:03   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjay View Post
Here's an easy way to tell apart a bad driver.. they lane drift... one more behaviour is straight lining any sort of curve in the road. Forget the lanes when the road is turning, who can be bothered to turn the steering wheel even if it means the guy in the next lane has to take evasive manouvers.
This is what I'm most afraid on highway curves, i.e. vehicles on the outer lane (i.e lane having longer turning radius) invariably jumps to the inner lane of shorter radius, crushing the vehicles on the inner lane. So, I mostly make it a point to overtake, when I have to, from the outermost lane in curves on highways. This is mainly because many drivers in India are not used to smooth steering on curves at high speed. I have seen many drivers making short and repeated swirls on the steering wheel, not knowing the right steering position to nogotiate at the curve of a specific radius at higher speeds. To add to this owe, most driving schools teach us to hold the steering in a very rigid left and right fists, as if we are working real hard to turn the steering wheel. The result is a rigid hand that cannot handle that soft power steering wheel.
Old 7th March 2008, 21:04   #396
Senior - BHPian

[quote=opendro;750162]This is what I'm most afraid on highway curves, i.e. vehicles on the outer lane (i.e lane having longer turning radius) invariably jumps to the inner lane of shorter radius, crushing the vehicles on the inner lane. So, I mostly make it a point to overtake, when I have to, from the outermost lane in curves on highways. This is mainly because many drivers in India are not used to smooth steering on

This is really bad Opendro, please do not overtake at curves you are risking your life and co-passengers ong with the other vehicle which you are overtaking and the vehicle which might be coming from opposite direction.

Please drive carefully..........
Old 8th March 2008, 15:20   #397
BHPian

[quote=gowda79;750277]
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
This is what I'm most afraid on highway curves, i.e. vehicles on the outer lane (i.e lane having longer turning radius) invariably jumps to the inner lane of shorter radius, crushing the vehicles on the inner lane. So, I mostly make it a point to overtake, when I have to, from the outermost lane in curves on highways. This is mainly because many drivers in India are not used to smooth steering on

This is really bad Opendro, please do not overtake at curves you are risking your life and co-passengers ong with the other vehicle which you are overtaking and the vehicle which might be coming from opposite direction.

Please drive carefully..........
Just wondering if you understood my meaning of "overtaking". When there is nobody in my lane ahead of me, I just want to go at my own pace in my own lane. Assuming there are slower vehicles in other lanes, do you mean I should not overtake them just because the road is not straight line at that point of time? I hope you got yourself clarified now. Other vehicles should stick to their lane even in curves. That was my point.
Old 14th March 2008, 16:08   #398
BHPian

I hear you

Driving on our state-of-the-art highways aught to be a joy- after all Independent India just never had decent roads, and now we have gone out and spent a packet to make them driveable, and what happens, they're impossible to navigate safely. Highways are meant for speed as that's part of the efficiency they augment. If users insist on doing 60 kmph on them, the least they can do is leave enough of the road free for others to pass them...ON THE RIGHT. Many users just have no clue and use the highways as their own fiefdom. And then when you're up against a good driver, even he or she could throw you because the last retard you were forced to overtake on the left has now set you up badly to overtake properly, making you swing out from behind the vehicle without the facility of 'depth' to check if the field ahead is clear for the manoeuvre.

Maybe, the RTOs should enforce a rule where all license applicants attend a proper driving school and NOT buy their driving licenses.

Many people who buy SBKs abroad attend SBK riding schools to learn the ropes. They not only end up better riders but also leave the roads safer for other users.
Old 14th March 2008, 16:36   #399
Senior - BHPian

Then there are the Flankers. I am not talking about the Sukoi/MIG Jets or the chaps on the football field, But the guys who try to outflank you at a traffic signal (of all places... )

They come and park alongside your car at the signal, instead of waiting in the queue. And when the signal turns green, they generally try to get on to your lane by racing ahead, with not even so much as a signal to indicate lane change (Not that it absolves them of any responsibility if they signal). In my book, overtaking someone at a traffic signal is one of most cowardly thing you can ever do on the road.
Old 14th March 2008, 16:45   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, I mostly make it a point to overtake, when I have to, from the outermost lane in curves on highways.
I still wouldnt advocate over-taking at curves. Not apt for our Indian roads atleast. You don't know whats waiting ahead. To quote an example our friendly cows .
Old 14th March 2008, 16:59   #401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
5. Some lady drivers (help me God... for I hate being lynched...)
Scene on the ORR, Bangalore :
Lady on a Santro is driving along and adjusting her hair looking into the inner RVM. KSRTC bus in front comes to a sudden halt (everywhere's a bus stop you see!), she realizes the bus in front of her has come to a stop rather late, and screeeeech goes the brakes. She escapes being parked on the bus's backside by millimetres.
Old 14th March 2008, 18:48   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Then there are the Flankers. I am not talking about the Sukoi/MIG Jets or the chaps on the football field, But the guys who try to outflank you at a traffic signal (of all places... )

They come and park alongside your car at the signal, instead of waiting in the queue. And when the signal turns green, they generally try to get on to your lane by racing ahead, with not even so much as a signal to indicate lane change (Not that it absolves them of any responsibility if they signal). In my book, overtaking someone at a traffic signal is one of most cowardly thing you can ever do on the road.
Or worse still they flank you on your left and proceed to do a U-turn in front of your snout. I'm sometimes overcome with the urge to wring their necks.
One particular chap I overtook like a rocket when I found he'd spared a couple of inches was incensed claiming I'd endangered his safety, but what he failed to recognize was that he was hogging an entire road at his so-called 'safe' 30 or 40 kmph when all it needed was courtesy and common sense to let a faster machine past...and there were heaps of them around him. I call that sheer thick-headedness.
By not allowing others safe passage I believe he was actually putting them at risk. (Their mothers should recognize them as duds and drown them at birth .)
Old 14th March 2008, 19:15   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I still wouldnt advocate over-taking at curves. Not apt for our Indian roads atleast. You don't know whats waiting ahead. To quote an example our friendly cows .
I guess too many guesses are applied to what I said. We cannot go faster than a certain speed, if the furthest object we see is shorter than the distance required to respond and act at that speed. If there is a cow at a distance on the curve road, and if I still feel that my speed is slow enough to respond to a comfortable stop before the cow, but my speed is still faster than somebody on another lane, I will have to overtake. Same can be applied in night driving. The fastest speed you can go in night depends on the minimum distance you need to respond if something appears and the furthest object you can see. For example, if the furthest distance you can see is 100 meters and you need minimum 100 meters to stop safely from 40 Kmph the moment you see something, then your maximum speed you can drive is 40 Kmph.

There are a few things wrong with this lane jumping at the curves/turns:
  1. You end up crushing other vehicles (even at same speed as you) going on the shorter radius. Many a times, I just have to slow down, forget overtaking, to yield to such bad drivers. They just forget that there are vehicles on their left or right.
  2. In single lane highways where there is no median between the opposite vehicles, and the road as you drive turns towards right curve, you end up jumping onto too much right (shorter radius), thereby causing more RISK if any vehicle happens to come from the opposite direction at fast speed at that time. Now you will understand the importance of sticking to lane in curves at least in this example.
  3. In junctions where there is no physical circle box, you end up making too early and short turn (equivalent to skipping or cutting short of the circle if it were), and if two more people do the same from two more directions, then five vehicles are sufficient to cause a jam. Instead try to follow an imaginary and "correct" curve of your lane. See how much of unnecessary jams are avoided.
Old 14th March 2008, 20:22   #404
BHPian

[quote=opendro;750940]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Just wondering if you understood my meaning of "overtaking". When there is nobody in my lane ahead of me, I just want to go at my own pace in my own lane. Assuming there are slower vehicles in other lanes, do you mean I should not overtake them just because the road is not straight line at that point of time? I hope you got yourself clarified now. Other vehicles should stick to their lane even in curves. That was my point.
Not overtaking a vehicle during a curve is good practice on Indian roads. Remember there are folks we have not spotted in front of the vehicle (or) a slow goer pulling out from the front of that vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post

I think it is unforgivable. I too feel like doing some thing unforgettable to this kind of folks. Say we are waiting for a right turn behind the white line, these jokers go past and wait in front of you or take a U across our vehicle while turning. A good definition to the word MORON. Forget about traffic rules, is it not stupid culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Or worse still they flank you on your left and proceed to do a U-turn in front of your snout. I'm sometimes overcome with the urge to wring their necks.
One particular chap I overtook like a rocket when I found he'd spared a couple of inches was incensed claiming I'd endangered his safety, but what he failed to recognize was that he was hogging an entire road at his so-called 'safe' 30 or 40 kmph when all it needed was courtesy and common sense to let a faster machine past...and there were heaps of them around him. I call that sheer thick-headedness.
By not allowing others safe passage I believe he was actually putting them at risk. (Their mothers should recognize them as duds and drown them at birth .)
Probably helps having better people around us

Quote:
I guess too many guesses are applied to what I said. We cannot go faster than a certain speed, if the furthest object we see is shorter than the distance required to respond and act at that speed. If there is a cow at a distance on the curve road, and if I still feel that my speed is slow enough to respond to a comfortable stop before the cow, but my speed is still faster than somebody on another lane, I will have to overtake. Same can be applied in night driving. The fastest speed you can go in night depends on the minimum distance you need to respond if something appears and the furthest object you can see. For example, if the furthest distance you can see is 100 meters and you need minimum 100 meters to stop safely from 40 Kmph the moment you see something, then your maximum speed you can drive is 40 Kmph.

There are a few things wrong with this lane jumping at the curves/turns:
  1. You end up crushing other vehicles (even at same speed as you) going on the shorter radius. Many a times, I just have to slow down, forget overtaking, to yield to such bad drivers. They just forget that there are vehicles on their left or right.
  2. In single lane highways where there is no median between the opposite vehicles, and the road as you drive turns towards right curve, you end up jumping onto too much right (shorter radius), thereby causing more RISK if any vehicle happens to come from the opposite direction at fast speed at that time. Now you will understand the importance of sticking to lane in curves at least in this example.
  3. In junctions where there is no physical circle box, you end up making too early and short turn (equivalent to skipping or cutting short of the circle if it were), and if two more people do the same from two more directions, then five vehicles are sufficient to cause a jam. Instead try to follow an imaginary and "correct" curve of your lane. See how much of unnecessary jams are avoided.
Please be comfortable with what you do. I agree with the suggestion to be very defensive while passing in curves, remember we might not have spotted all objects in our way and going to be in our way. Example dogs, people running across, slow moving vehicles suddenly pulling in to our lane, etc..
Old 14th March 2008, 20:39   #405
Senior - BHPian

Good analysis there opendro and all this on our Indian roads.. Hmmm !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Please be comfortable with what you do. I agree with the suggestion to be very defensive while passing in curves, remember we might not have spotted all objects in our way and going to be in our way. Example dogs, people running across, slow moving vehicles suddenly pulling in to our lane, etc..
Dint you read ? He mentioned at 40kmph . So take it easy , to each his own.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks