Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2012, 09:34   #3721
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Today morning I was coming to office, through Jayanagar 4th Block, and one BMTC bus driver was cutting the lanes from the bus stand and to the right most lane. I was in the right most lane and was going to stop at the signal where this guy was cutting the bus dangerously close onto my car's left side. I had to swerve right, and went off waiting for the signal.

Once the signal was green I just continued straight, and this guy was overtaking me from left, and came again very close to my left mirror, which I saw in the last minute and swerved right only to avoid a pedestrain waiting in the middle of the road for crossing. because of the traffic, the bus driver had to slow down, and I just went ahead after clearing the pedestrain, and I was directly ahead of the bus, where I slowed down, and indicated him to go carefully (may be he had understood me wrongly), then the bus driver started coming dangerously close to me, and I went left to give way to the bus, but he had cut the bus almost onto my car, and I had to brake hard not to get hit by the bus. All this happened today morning at around 8:40.

I followed the bus without being visible to the driver till ashoka pillar and took a couple of snaps for the bus number. I saw a cop standing near the Ashoka pillar, and told him about the bus driver, and he asked me to give the bus number, which I did. And all the time I was speaking to the traffic cop, the bus driver had stopped the bus on the siddapura road, waiting for me (may be to start an argument). Past the bus, I just had turned into the lane next to lalbagh nursing home towards my destination.

Looks like the bus driver had noted my car number, what if he later bangs my car from behind as I travel in the same route daily? (bad drivers can be bad always)

Last edited by rishie : 4th April 2012 at 09:57.
Old 4th April 2012, 09:36   #3722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Its then that a two wheeler, cuts ahead from the left hand side of the bus on my left.
Continues to rip across the road perpendicular to the traffic flow to take a U-Turn.

I don't know if it was his luck or mine that I did not end up killing him.

I think its all the time I spend on team-bhp that never forgets to remind you, there are idiots everywhere.
Don't be one, so you don't end up killing another one.
Great presence of mind, its because of these 2 wheelers that other sane motorcycle riders get branded as rash.

Same thing happened to me one night at a signal, cycle just cut across when the signal turned green oblivious to the fact that he could have been hurt badly, after that I always give it a sec or 2 before moving when the light turns green.
Old 4th April 2012, 09:57   #3723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Another very bad Kochi private bus druver. He is blocking the free left turn. Don't be fooled by his leftward angle; he is in fact trying to circumvent a vehicle in front and is bound straight.
If am correct this is Jos Junction, right? A very common sight at this junction. Same case at ground junction where buses block the free left (buses coming from Menaka side)
Old 4th April 2012, 10:11   #3724
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it is Jos Junction and as you said a common scene on a continual basis here as well as at the ground and Medical trust Junction. Pity that even educated drivers constantly do this.
Old 4th April 2012, 11:38   #3725
BHPian

Some habits die hard, like wanting the wind in your hair even if it means just putting up a theater for the cops! All you do is wear your helmet like a cap!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-helmetcaps.jpg
nileshch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 12:52   #3726
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't get this really...you buy a shiny new car and drive it in the most insane traffic conditions possible only to park it like this? Spotted in my office parking today...
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver2.jpg

Either you're a bad driver who has no business being at the wheel of a new Swift or you are just really inconsiderate! In fact the pic doesn't give the full picture because there is a pillar parallel to the one on the far side making it impossible for anyone to use the second parking space.
Old 4th April 2012, 13:30   #3727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Some habits die hard, like wanting the wind in your hair even if it means just putting up a theater for the cops! All you do is wear your helmet like a cap!
Of course, this is a helmet-hits-the-ground-before-head-does situation. If not, then it is probably a recipe for a broken neck.

Idiots.
Old 4th April 2012, 13:37   #3728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I don't get this really...you buy a shiny new car and drive it in the most insane traffic conditions possible only to park it like this? Spotted in my office parking today...
Attachment 911556

Either you're a bad driver who has no business being at the wheel of a new Swift or you are just really inconsiderate! In fact the pic doesn't give the full picture because there is a pillar parallel to the one on the far side making it impossible for anyone to use the second parking space.
This reminds me of a line I read somewhere (maybe words a bit jumbled up). It says "Its not what/how you drive, its how you park." This line differentiates a good driver from a bad one. In this case, I think the owner was just being a bit too careful about not touching the wall on his right side, but still I fail to understand why so much of a gap whereas its quite clear that this space has to accomodate 1 more car. Pathetic parking sense !!
Old 4th April 2012, 13:37   #3729
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 911556

I think he/she did this to make getting out of the car easier.
Old 4th April 2012, 14:41   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
I think he/she did this to make getting out of the car easier.
For that, he/she could have parked in reverse where the driver's side comes away from the wall. But then again, some people are really not comfortable to park their car in reverse. Yesterday, I was at the B2 parking of Meenakshi Mall and there was a Fiesta Classic infront of me, driven by a 50 something old gentleman. He took 5-6 reverse-forward movements to parallel park his car where there was a Sumo parked to his left and a vacant spot on his right. I could directly reverse and parallel park my car between his car and a pillar to my right.
Old 4th April 2012, 14:46   #3731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
For that, he/she could have parked in reverse where the driver's side comes away from the wall. But then again, some people are really not comfortable to park their car in reverse. Yesterday, I was at the B2 parking of Meenakshi Mall and there was a Fiesta Classic infront of me, driven by a 50 something old gentleman. He took 5-6 reverse-forward movements to parallel park his car where there was a Sumo parked to his left and a vacant spot on his right. I could directly reverse and parallel park my car between his car and a pillar to my right.
Not everyone is an expert like you. Or maybe he/she was in a hurry.

The driver (anoop's post) should have used the second parking spot, instead of making both spots under-utilised.
ssh1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 14:54   #3732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Not everyone is an expert like you. Or maybe he/she was in a hurry.
I did not claim that I'm an expert. That is the reason why I said "Not everybody is comfortable". And in the situation I mentioned above, the person was neither hurry nor was it a complicated parking situation. There was a person assisting him to park, his wife sticking out her head from the left side window to see if there is space on the left side and even after that, he was making wrong turns. Don't you think that properly reversing a car should be part of good driving?
Old 4th April 2012, 18:38   #3733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I did not claim that I'm an expert. That is the reason why I said "Not everybody is comfortable". And in the situation I mentioned above, the person was neither hurry nor was it a complicated parking situation. There was a person assisting him to park, his wife sticking out her head from the left side window to see if there is space on the left side and even after that, he was making wrong turns. Don't you think that properly reversing a car should be part of good driving?
Oh no! I was talking only about the earlier post by Anoop only and no reference to the incident or persons you described.
Old 4th April 2012, 18:52   #3734
BHPian

Quote:
Either you're a bad driver who has no business being at the wheel of a new Swift or you are just really inconsiderate!
I think the guy is just simply careless. The tread marks on the floor show how he simply zoomed in and let the car remain where it stopped.

He could care less if he knocked down a pedestrian in the intense traffic.
Old 4th April 2012, 21:10   #3735
BHPian

Today I was travelling in my two wheeler to Dadar from Andheri. After one crosses the Bandra bridge (near Bandra court) a continuous white line starts and goes upto the start of the next bridge taking you to B W sea link. If one were to go to Mahim church side, we should not climb up the bridge so as not to cut the line (as per traffic rules).

Similarly, when one crosses the Khar signal in W E Highway on way to Santacruz, a similar line starting about 50 ms from the signal right upto the Santacruz bridge is painted. I was travelling just beside the line so that proceeding this way, I will be able to climb the bridge with a small deviation. This is a six lane road. A taxi driving on either side of the line, asked me to move leftwards so that he can pass comfortably. I denied him space and pointed out that I have left almost 3.90 lanes for him to move fast. He signalled that I was wrong.

I would be thankful if members could enlighten on these line on either side of the bridge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks