Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:34   #3571
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's KA 42 E 1457

While BTP's Facebook initiative is good, is it really implemented? A few cases perhaps, but they don't look into every matter, which is frustrating for those who put their heart into helping the society.

I've posted several pictures and unfortunately, action has never been taken.

But I have seen action being taken in a few cases.

So with the BTP Facebook page, it's a bit of a hit-or-miss thing.
Depends till what point you want to push it. I normally tag Mr. MA Saleem in the posts and they are generally fined. If someone breaks the rule in my area, I send a sms to the areas traffic inspector. He has become quite friendly with me.
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:20   #3572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
2: Autos – impulsive, if you get into trouble, they can gang up and turn a logical argument into an illogical one
These guys are the worst offenders and more importantly not city specific. I guess all the auto rickshaw drivers belong to a common brethren of pseudo-heroism!!!!
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:54   #3573
Senior - BHPian

this guy really really needs to learn how to park his bike!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo-feb-23-11-15-26-am.jpg

@amitoj: don't even try it!
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 18:07   #3574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Attachment 892729

@amitoj: don't even try it!
True.. I see similar scene everyday in my office. Just a piece of advice to folks park their bike with side stand for long.

Never park on side stand for more than 10-15 mts.
1) Since the bike is at an angle, battery will be at the same angle causing the water/liquid to accumulate to one side - Resulting much reduced battery life.
2) I heard from mechanic: Engine oil will accumulate/collect one side causing indifferent viscosity inside causing engine damage.
3) Side stand looses strength causing the bike to go down to a level where you think Is the bike sleeping on its sides.

So guys always use center stand.

I guess many don't know to use center stand without using muscle power.
Reisender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 18:11   #3575
Senior - BHPian

Even at my office, there are a couple of morons who park their pulsars and RX's like this on the kick stand. Worse, the stand is bent and the bike is leaned over quite a bit. There is a big board that says, park on main stand and avoid inconvenience to others, but who cares?

P.S. No offense to pulsar or RX lovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
2) I heard from mechanic: Engine oil will accumulate/collect one side causing indifferent viscosity inside causing engine damage.
3) Side stand looses strength causing the bike to go down to a level where you think Is the bike sleeping on its sides.
Genuine Q: What about bikes which do not come with a main stand from the factory?
Old 23rd February 2012, 19:23   #3576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Even at my office, there are a couple of morons who park their pulsars and RX's like this on the kick stand. Worse, the stand is bent and the bike is leaned over quite a bit. There is a big board that says, park on main stand and avoid inconvenience to others, but who cares?

P.S. No offense to pulsar or RX lovers.

Genuine Q: What about bikes which do not come with a main stand from the factory?

That is a good question (really)

My 2 cents
Only race bikes and bikes beyond 500cc usually are heavy and the mainframe may not support the gravity and obviously all of us are not Arnie/stallone (though it would be a twad difficult for them too) . These bikes come with supports the kind into which you roll your bike into and the stand holds the bike till the 3/4 length of the rear wheel.

Cheers
Prasad
Old 24th February 2012, 11:48   #3577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Tell me about it!! I live in a town where the entire population parks this way. It felt quite weird when I first came here. All the guys need to be sent to Chennai Central railway station parking lot to learn how to properly put main stand in a bike
Old 24th February 2012, 14:39   #3578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Since the bike is at an angle, battery will be at the same angle causing the water/liquid to accumulate to one side - Resulting much reduced battery life.

A bit OT but I would like to know what the Yamaha R15 owners have to say over this?

The above points are not entirely true/proved.
Old 24th February 2012, 14:48   #3579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
A bit OT but I would like to know what the Yamaha R15 owners have to say over this?

The above points are not entirely true/proved.
He has clarified it here ( a couple of posts above).
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 14:53   #3580
BHPian

Quote:
True.. I see similar scene everyday in my office. Just a piece of advice to folks park their bike with side stand for long.

In that case, how do we park SBKs?
I am sure that the battery manufacturers take this into consideration. Moreover, when the battery is topped up with water, I do not think there's any space for that liquid to move around in any space!
2. This one is interesting: why will oil loose its viscosity? beats basic chemistry here. As long as the oil molecules dont undergo any external changes, why will their molecular structure chage? Thats a load of hogwash from your mechanic.
The thumb rule is to start the bike every morning and warm it up for at least 5 mins. No revving only idling. This way, the oil warms up, gets circulated over the moving parts and the engine life is secured.

3. Going back to the first point made, we used to make fun of our friend who had a CBR-600 RR. Told him that Honda cheated him as they didnt give him a center stand for a 7 lacs bike while our cheap Bulls had it
The side stand has been designed for that specific purpose with lots of stress testing done. For the old rides, the spring load gets weak and a replacement sorts that issue out.

Hope your bike mech is really good with the thing he does, because, if I just go by his advices, I would change my mech without second thoughts.

p.s. : my rides : Yamaha RX135, Yamaha Gladiator, RE T Bird, and for a few months I had the few rides with me : ZMA, couple of RD350s, NinjaZX7R...
Old 24th February 2012, 14:57   #3581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
He has clarified it here ( a couple of posts above).
No clarification about engine oil and battery life and I am more interested in these two.
Old 27th February 2012, 14:48   #3582
Senior - BHPian

HCL cabs run by Infants travels using footpath as parking lot at Whitefield Bangalore.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0058.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0059.jpg
Old 27th February 2012, 22:59   #3583
Senior - BHPian

Rude Driver abusing me at Silkboard Junction

Hi everyone,

I was returning home today evening from Inner Ring Road towards BTM layout.

At silkboard signal, I made a right turn at green light. I was on the right-most lane, hence maintained the same. However, because there were several pedestrians trying to cross the road at the divider, I had to slow down so as to avoid hitting them.

Just then a while Hyundai i10 overtook from my left trying to get the right most lane. It scraped my vehicle bumper though no serious damage was done.

The i10 driver (seemingly a young chap) stopped the vehicle diagonally ahead of me, came out and started shouting at me! He demanded at least an apology from me. I tried explaining him the scenario but he would not slow down. I simply kept quiet.

Soon enough, the traffic police noticed us and started walking towards us, which was when this person abused me. He added he'd punch me.

I took a photo with my mobile camera as he sped away.

This was an AP registration white i10. AP09BY6813 is what I could make out.

Please be aware of this vehicle/driver and stay well away from him, if you see him.

The traffic police was quite friendly! They asked me what had happened and whether there was some accident. They then told me this is usual of such people and I should simply carry on rather than getting tensed.

I'm attaching the photo of the white i10.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-i10.jpg  

Last edited by nitinbose : 27th February 2012 at 23:24. Reason: Offensive language removed.
nitinbose is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 12:54   #3584
BHPian

Re: Rude Driver abusing me at Silkboard Junction

[quote=nitinbose;2695780]Hi everyone,

I was returning home today evening from Inner Ring Road towards BTM layout.

At silkboard signal, I made a right turn at green light. I was on the right-most lane, hence maintained the same. However, because there were several pedestrians trying to cross the road at the divider, I had to slow down so as to avoid hitting them.

Just then a while Hyundai i10 overtook from my left trying to get the right most lane. It scraped my vehicle bumper though no serious damage was done.

The i10 driver (seemingly a young chap) stopped the vehicle diagonally ahead of me, came out and started shouting at me! He demanded at least an apology from me. I tried explaining him the scenario but he would not slow down. I simply kept quiet.

Soon enough, the traffic police noticed us and started walking towards us, which was when this person abused me. He added he'd punch me.

I took a photo with my mobile camera as he sped away.

This was an AP registration white i10. AP09BY6813 is what I could make out.

Please be aware of this vehicle/driver and stay well away from him, if you see him.

No worries mate...these type of drivers are spoilt lot with a bad mindset and heaps of money who drive with the feeling that the road belongs to their Grandpa. Or else this young guy would be a driver. We have similar morons in delhi and Haryana. You should thank your stars that just the bumper was scraped. These types of drivers will never even care if the person is knocked down. They will even knock down the Traffic cops and run away.
Old 28th February 2012, 13:45   #3585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
No clarification about engine oil and battery life and I am more interested in these two.

The Battery is filled with electrolytes which are liquid and they connect the terminals for power supply. If the bike is on a tilt then the lead terminals will dry up due to uneven levels of the electrolytes. Prolonged side stand parking should be avoided at any cost.

Engine oil is also of the same phenomena but the difference is that it is slightly more viscous than the battery fluid and is pumped during running (hence can withstand some abuse)

Cheers
Prasad

PS: Phew! that seems to be too much data in what i typed.
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks