Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:08   #2086
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
While it is inconsiderate for the Palio guy to show dissent, if I were you I would have planned my petrol pump visit properly or would have visited the pump later in the day. Nothing to offend you, just my take on the scenario.
Why should I take offence, dude? It is indeed annoying when people change lanes in rush hour traffic. But the point I am making is that I am legally within my rights to change lanes for whatever reason, as inconveniencing it may be for other people. And in this case I was doing it with utmost care too. IN fact Dippy had started a thread sometime back on this same topic where noted with wry bemusement that everytime he signals his intention to change lanes, somebody behind him speeds up to prevent him doing it whereas a lot of vehicles just zip across without signalling without a problem .
I didn't get annoyed at his not allowing me way- a lot of other drivers did that. But this guy zoomed too late and came dangerously close to hitting me- that's what I object to.
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:13   #2087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Why should I take offence, dude?
I didn't get annoyed at his not allowing me way- a lot of other drivers did that. But this guy zoomed too late and came dangerously close to hitting me- that's what I object to.
I got your point, many a time I watch helplessly while a cabbie squeezes between gap I have with the car ahead and when I try to change lanes for legal purpose I get cornered.

But my point was only to suggest that if you wanted to fill petrol you could have stuck to the left most lane much earlier, in that way no one can mess with you

Edit: The sexy alloys diesel figo that you spotted a few days ago was mine!

Last edited by anilisanil : 3rd June 2011 at 14:15.
Old 3rd June 2011, 14:26   #2088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Yesterday this dark blue i10 (MH12 GF xxx8) , came in from Wakad side, and without glancing anywhere for approaching traffic, straight away as shown in the picture (blue arrow) and right onto my path (red arrow), I had already slowed down keeping in mind certain morons, but I expected this guy to slow down or break since there was no way he was going to complete that turn without hitting me.

When would morons realise how merging onto a highway is to be done??
Merging into the fast lane while taking a turn is unfortunately quite a common problem with a lot of vehicles at least in Pune. I dont understand how they expect to accelerate quick enough to reach speeds being maintained by the others already in the fast lane.

Unfortunately the only option remains to flick the lights, honk hard and hope the morons can see or hear you.
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:32   #2089
Distinguished - BHPian

@selfdrive- you should try merging at Sus Road junction (at the Pashankar auto point). You have to merge with zooming traffic is bad enough but in this case you have to watch out for:
- Vehicles from Katraj side taking the (legal) reverse U-turn since it's a 2-way exit ramp
- Vehicles coming from the service road Mercedes Benz showroom (wrong way technically but who cares!)
- Vehicles (especally tumtums) coming from Katraj side that use the junction as a stop
- People waiting to get into these vehicles, that stand right in teh way of merging traffic.

NOW tell me you have a problem merging at Wakad!
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:12   #2090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
NOW tell me you have a problem merging at Wakad!
You wont believe it; but this was one of the points I was thinking about when I was typing the previous post! A classic case of why a servic road or an extra lane is required for at least half km before merging into highway traffic.
This one is really a nightmare for all the points you mentioned. If I can add one, sometimes there are cops at the junction trying to man traffic. I found that out one evening; fortunately didnt bump into him. It was twilight and he wasnt wearing any reflective stuff. Maybe we should also learn how to spot 'non reflective' cops (pun intended)

The other one I was thinking about is the Kothrud entry point going to Katraj (the one which comes over Banjara hills and enters the bypass). Especially worsened by morons coming up from the Lohia Jain IT park on the wrong side. Just having headlights on high beam does not mean you are allowed to enter from there.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd June 2011 at 19:09. Reason: Extra Smiley removed. Thanks.
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:59   #2091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes, it is.

But we are human, do make mistakes and have confusions
And we all find ourselves in the wrong lane sometimes. It is indeed only considerate to allow a car that needs to change lanes, to do so.

The only time one might resent this is when the driver has cheated and is trying to jump the queue.
Old 4th June 2011, 21:00   #2092
BHPian

Quote:
And we all find ourselves in the wrong lane sometimes. It is indeed only considerate to allow a car that needs to change lanes, to do so.

The only time one might resent this is when the driver has cheated and is trying to jump the queue.
Absolutely. With Bangalore junctions having "very informative" signboards, somebody trying to change lanes at the last minute is an everyday scene. (Call centre cabs are not considered here.) For example, you see a sign Kolar and go up the flyover and at the top the flyover splits into left and right with no signboards. BRILLIANT.

We should also be considerate to people who wait to merge with the traffic. Coz' if you don't stop, nobody else will.

-- Torqy
Old 5th June 2011, 06:03   #2093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
We should also be considerate to people who wait to merge with the traffic. Coz' if you don't stop, nobody else will.
That is quite true. If not there is every chance of a hold up as the two cars converge. Somebody has to be considerate so that traffic flows on.
Old 5th June 2011, 06:37   #2094
BHPian

I had a strange experience, i had refuelled at IOC pump near BEL circle, and was waiting for the fuel bill. Suddenly an auto guy pushing his way through came and directly banged his onto my bumper in the front. It was a case of total negligence by IOC pump guys not regulating the queue system for auto gas filling. Even though it was auto drivers fault, they all ganged up and asked me let go or file for insurance complaint and get compensated. I wrote to IOC incharge, they said they will take up the matter with the bunk owner. Still the ? of compensation is still unresolved. Any idea guys how to go about it, the best part is that bunk is ISO approved for quality standards and safety ?
Old 5th June 2011, 06:52   #2095
BHPian

Quote:

Yes. True. The other day at the toll I saw a jeep parked on the drive-way of the left most booth, however it had not opened and then he tried to come into my lane. I waited till the vehicle in front of me moved out and I let him in. I felt his was a genuine case of having proceeded so far ahead aligning to that drive lane that merging in was the only option. You can spot the i-am-the-smartest-you-go-to-hell kinda drivers. This guy did not seem like one. However the pt is - what does one do with people who jump knowingly? How does he merge in? Maybe wait till the main queue clears up??? May get too late.

Last edited by jeevmenon : 5th June 2011 at 06:54.
Old 5th June 2011, 07:15   #2096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
I had a strange experience, i had refuelled at IOC pump near BEL circle, and was waiting for the fuel bill. Suddenly an auto guy pushing his way through came and directly banged his onto my bumper in the front. It was a case of total negligence by IOC pump guys not regulating the queue system for auto gas filling. Even though it was auto drivers fault, they all ganged up and asked me let go or file for insurance complaint and get compensated. I wrote to IOC incharge, they said they will take up the matter with the bunk owner. Still the ? of compensation is still unresolved. Any idea guys how to go about it, the best part is that bunk is ISO approved for quality standards and safety ?
Write to the ISO certifying agency regarding the lack of proper safety procedures. In the ISO Procedure Manual there would be a detailed procedure to be followed which is not being followed by the staff on duty. Ask for compensation.
You should have filed an FIR in the first place against the Auto driver. He is not supposed to bang into any one at his will and for that purpose is why a brake system is on all vehicles.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 07:34   #2097
BHPian

@ Rajeev The funniest part is that my late father was in charge of safety for a short while working for IOC, he used to pull up the petrol bunk owners and workers. Now i am reaping the benefit of laid back style of functioning by IOC staff. Secondly i suspect it is a routine thing that auto guys try to bang the cars and blackmail for compensation, i was watching the guy closely he was aiming for my tyre so that his headlights break and the entire auto guys would have ganged up against me and fleeced me. Well i will definitely write to ISO authorties, there are two bunks and one gas agency in that row, god forbid any spark off, it will blow like an atom bomb, this is what i have written to IOC incharge, in long term interest they should either cancel bunk license or gas agencies.
Old 5th June 2011, 09:23   #2098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
@ Secondly i suspect it is a routine thing that auto guys try to bang the cars and blackmail for compensation, i was watching the guy closely he was aiming for my tyre so that his headlights break and the entire auto guys would have ganged up against me and fleeced me.
If the above is true then this is a innovative way of making a quick buck. I have heard it for the first time and would have to be careful.
Old 5th June 2011, 09:36   #2099
BHPian

Last Friday night when it rained in Mumbai, half the vehicles were driving with the Hazard lights on. Is that a Mumbai tradition? It was pouring and thats when you need to use indicators even more. :(

-- Torqy
Old 5th June 2011, 12:05   #2100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Yes. True. The other day at the toll I saw a jeep parked on the drive-way of the left most booth, however it had not opened and then he tried to come into my lane. I waited till the vehicle in front of me moved out and I let him in. I felt his was a genuine case of having proceeded so far ahead aligning to that drive lane that merging in was the only option. You can spot the i-am-the-smartest-you-go-to-hell kinda drivers. This guy did not seem like one. However the pt is - what does one do with people who jump knowingly? How does he merge in? Maybe wait till the main queue clears up??? May get too late.
Hi jeevmenon,

you got one thing right. There are lots of "I-am-the-smartest-you-go-to-hell" kinda drivers. My suggestion is, simply keep away from them idiots. Just cutting across a line doesn't make them smarter, right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks