Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2024, 21:25   #1
BHPian

BNCAP: Citroen Basalt scores 4 stars

The Bharat New Car Assessment Programme (BNCAP) has awarded the Citroen Basalt a 4 star for both adult and child safety. The crash test result is applicable for all variants.

The car which was crash tested had the following safety features:

- 6 airbags
- Front seat load limiter
- ISOFIX child seats
- Electronic stability control (ESC)
- Seat belt reminder for all seats

BNCAP: Citroen Basalt scores 4 stars-img_20241011_213503.jpg

Attached Files
File Type: pdf FACT-SHEET_Basalt.pdf (2.20 MB, 20 views)

Last edited by sharmanova : 11th October 2024 at 21:46.
sharmanova is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 11th October 2024, 22:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: BNCAP: Citroen Basalt scores 4 stars

It is interesting, if the dummy readings and modifier application for this test are to be trusted, this is a 4-star GNCAP car too but it's not as straightforward as you would think.

(+) In BNCAP, the Basalt is less than 1 point shy of a 5-star rating. With GNCAP it would get 1 or 2 more points for seatbelt reminders and cross over to the 5-star zone (27+ pts).

(-) BUT BNCAP does not take away a star for >5.6 difference in front and side scores if the frontal score is above 8.2 points, GNCAP does. So the Basalt would go back down to 4 stars.

I am a little miffed with BNCAP being so mechanical and not providing insightful comments about whether the colours are caused by dummy readings or modifiers. My hunch is that the passenger compartment has become unstable but it is not that straightforward if it is a typical European triple-loadpath design (I don't know if it is). That said the combination of yellow feet, orange chest and disqualification from kneemapping are 99% an indicator that structural penalties have been applied.
ron178 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th October 2024, 23:10   #3
BHPian

Car scoring 4 stars is fine, but what is BNCAP upto? I mean, releasing results of mostly irrelevant cars? GNCAP used to mostly test popular models which would somehow prove to be useful for a buyer. What good does it do in testing a somewhat irrelevant car? Maybe some marketing prowess.

Wake up BNCAP, there are several other cars which the consumers are waiting for to be tested. Wish there was a mandatory testing kind of a thing for every model before it is launched.

Edit: I see this is applicable only for select models. This is not how it should be done. In that case, either test only the base model or test both base model and top model. This will give a clearer perspective. Testing only top model, releasing its results and then putting a small highlight of "applicable for select models only" is very misleading.

Edit: The fact sheet shows the models that this rating is applicable to, and I am assuming it has all variants over there. Why create so much confusion for a simple thing

Edit: Where can I find the bodyshell integrity? The stable/unstable comment?
Attached Thumbnails
BNCAP: Citroen Basalt scores 4 stars-screenshot_20241011231334.png  

BNCAP: Citroen Basalt scores 4 stars-screenshot_20241011231559.png  

Last edited by saikishor : 11th October 2024 at 23:19.
saikishor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2024, 05:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Car scoring 4 stars is fine, but what is BNCAP upto? I mean, releasing results of mostly irrelevant cars?
GNCAP's secretary general seems to think, according to the interview below, that Maruti are making six airbags standard on their new generation of models in India (maybe Maruti are waiting until that for BNCAP?). He has also mentioned the new Swift in two interviews this year which makes me think GNCAP might be testing it as well.

Watch this interview at 13:10 with translated subtitles: Are cars sold in Chile safe? - Interview with Alejandro Furas, from Latin NCAP

Quote:
Edit: I see this is applicable only for select models. This is not how it should be done. In that case, either test only the base model or test both base model and top model. This will give a clearer perspective. Testing only top model, releasing its results and then putting a small highlight of "applicable for select models only" is very misleading.

Edit: The fact sheet shows the models that this rating is applicable to, and I am assuming it has all variants over there. Why create so much confusion for a simple thing
I would like to disagree here as IMO BNCAP does this better than GNCAP, who do exactly the same thing but don't even mention that the rating is for select variants only.

Eg. if the Scorpio N had no ESC or side airbags across the range, like the base variant, the entire model would have scored 2 stars, but the whole model (even the base variant *officially*) has 5 stars because ESC is a standalone option and curtain airbags are fitted to >30% units of Scorpio-N produced overall. This means a rating for a variant can be hugely dependent on safety equipment that is not even fitted to it.

GNCAP's reasoning is that it encourages manufacturers to design their cars to have these features but requiring them standard would have made them give up on 5 stars. But it is a little exasperating that a consumer testing programme thinks its audience is the industry and not consumers. It is a common problem with NCAPs over time where after seeing their work drive progress they tend to cut out the middleman (the consumer) but as long as they recognise the hazards and make an active effort to patch it, it works. GNCAP do not appear to be.

BNCAP as we know copy-pasted GNCAP's protocols and now are in a half-hearted attempt to patch this. While it is nice they are at least bothering to mention that it is valid only for a few variants, that means that when base variants differ from the top the base will almost never carry a valid rating. As you mentioned it would have been much simpler to have a dual rating system like Euro NCAP.

Quote:
Edit: Where can I find the bodyshell integrity? The stable/unstable comment?
It seems press releases and comments are not BNCAP's forte. This is very bad as moving backwards to calculate the dummy values from the colours is hard enough as it is when the modifiers are known — without comments it is highly nondeterministic.

Last edited by ron178 : 12th October 2024 at 05:22.
ron178 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2024, 08:42   #5
BHPian

4 star for a car with such badly distorted A pillar. Looks like bad start for Bharat NCAP, does not seem to be a agency worth trusting for something crucial as car safety. Gncap also lost trust after rewarding 5 star to 'unstable' Verna.

"News is what somebody somewhere wants to suppress; all the rest is advertising" - Lord Northcliffe

These crash test agencies are turning into the marketing agencies of secondary safety features which rely on electronics instead of ensuring the most important aspects of the safety is kept in check which is bodyshell of a vehicle.

Now its clear that the Bharat NCAP is a result of car manufacturers lobby in India who want to keep selling the dumped and rejected garbage to Indians who do not have any value of their life for them.

First they made laws to snatch our cars prematurely, now this. Unfortunately we don't have anything in this country to protect the interests of public, especially the car owners.

Abraham Lincoin once said - "Democracy is a government of the people, by the people and for the people". This is not applicable in our country, it seems to be aristocracy.

Disappointed.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 12th October 2024 at 08:50.
tbppjpr is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2024, 10:11   #6
BHPian

How have they released the ratings of a car tested in August, but haven't released results of cars tested and released long ago? Also where are the comments on body structure integrity? It seems bncap is compromised and probably taking kick backs from manufacturers to control when the results are published.

We'd seen Nissan Magnite facelift in the bncap images a while ago. And those results aren't out yet. So I'm guessing they'll release them once Nissan pays them something? Or at an opportune time as stipulated by manufacturer.

Can't really put any trust on these ratings anymore. Perhaps euro ncap and asean ncap are the only ones that are a little transparent.
vamsi.vadrevu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks