Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2024, 07:34   #46
BHPian

Re: Addressed a road-rage incident with the help of Bengaluru City Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankJr View Post
I heard on a podcast that this will infact bite you back, as it implies you were at fault. I have never had this happen to me, but it makes sense?
Do we make arguments just for sake of arguing?

It is clearly mentioned that ‘if its your fault’ apologise.

That is the right thing to do. Both the party agree to an amount and the violator pays. If they dont agree to the amount, they exchange numbers and once the quote is available, then they pay. There is no need for police intervention in that case. By the way, police or any court will also do the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Addressed a road-rage incident with the help of Bengaluru City Police-img_7606.jpeg  

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2024, 09:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing this incident, Alamodein.

One quick question: In situations like these, if you do not know the local language, is it difficult to converse with the police? Or does it become a disadvantage of any sort? Same goes for the goons. They knowing that you are an outsider, does that make them more aggressive?
Old 18th August 2024, 10:42   #48
BHPian

This is lovely turn of events. Wish we had more such proactive policemen, this city would be a better place to live in.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 08:57   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Thanks for sharing this incident, Alamodein.

One quick question: In situations like these, if you do not know the local language, is it difficult to converse with the police? Or does it become a disadvantage of any sort? Same goes for the goons. They knowing that you are an outsider, does that make them more aggressive?
2 key things matter in such situations - confidence and knowledge of the laws. I've lived in 4 states so far, 2 I knew the local language, 2 I did not. The rules are the same across the country, and I made sure those involved know that I am aware of this and that my ethnicity will have no bearing on the result.
vinu_h is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 14:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Interesting clip indeed.

1) 30% of this incident was caused due to - was the moment the biker went ahead the car, the car is supposed to yield - spelt "Y I E L D" which is a phoren word to Indian roads.

2) 10% - verbal abuse first by the car driver and his left hand, most likely he described some anatomy of the biker or assumed the biker blood line kin to be someone they are not, very common in blore streets. Been there, seen that - mind you verbal abuse is an offence too punishable by law.

3) 10% - biker mostly replied back to driver that about his anat... you get it! Equally at fault for verbal abuse.

4) 50% Culpability - once you decide to use your automobile as a weapon - game over! The car driver should not sit inside a car ever till he rides on the back of a hearse!
svsantosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 22:39   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
: In situations like these, if you do not know the local language, is it difficult to converse with the police?
I can comprehend and speak basic Kannada.

However, the police officers were gentle enough to notice my difficulty with the Language and began speaking to me in English and Hindi.

But, please be mindful, this might not be the case every time.

I am not keen on forcing anyone to speak in Hindi or my language, so I start conversations in English. I always appreciate it when others don’t impose the language on me either. After all, we are Indians first, before any linguistic differences.
alamodein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2024, 14:45   #52
BHPian

BLR city police must have taken cognizance of so many road rage incidents and have become active again. Earlier the Hoysala patrols were quite frequent across the city but up to recently it stopped, and they may have started again because these rowdies are giving the city a bad name.

Good job by the police and hope other officers get motivated elsewhere in the city and suburbs too. Having traveled across the state in other cities too, I have witnessed road rage incidents (though I was not part of it), but they seem to be de-escalated quickly even with a smile or a hand wave from the bikers. Tier 2 cities of KA seem to be more interested with their own business and do not indulge in wasting time.

Note that 112 works in other cases too. It is the emergency police helpline. I have used it in the past to complain about noisy neighbors who seem to not realize that everybody else work too and need a good rest, and the cops promptly responded even at 3 AM, gave the miscreants an earful, and since then the neighborhood has been very quiet.

Last edited by mayukh42 : 7th September 2024 at 14:47.
Old 9th September 2024, 10:55   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Interesting clip indeed.

1) 30% of this incident was caused due to - was the moment the biker went ahead the car, the car is supposed to yield - spelt "Y I E L D" which is a phoren word to Indian roads.

Once you yield in major cities in India, more bikers / scooterists take advantage of the situation and squeeze their way in. Unfortunately I have seen too many instances where bikers / scooterists just squeeze their way in & the responsibility of their safety lies with the car drivers. In my view, maybe 90% such incidents are caused by bikers / scooterists.

Only way out for us car drivers - get front & rear dashcams (and if there is a future opportunity, then get side facing cameras for these errant bikers)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks