Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2024, 10:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti's poor implementation of the rear seatbelt alarm, without weight sensors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Can you try buckling and unbuckling a seatbelt on an empty rear seat and check if it starts beeping?
Yes I did, and there are two beeps and then full stop. But the warning lamp on the central console stays on, but without the annoying continuous beeps.

I am not the only one though, other buyers of Maruti vehicles which are manufactured from May'24 onwards have noticed the same. There are no more annoying continuous audible alarms for rear seatbelt reminders.

This is from FronX official review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd_Kan View Post
Hey Guys, mine is a May 2024 manufactured Fronx and I'm happy to say, the irritating seat belt alert for rear seats is not present as far as I have checked. Only for front two seats, it is beeping. Can anyone else confirm as well?
My guess is that at least the Nexa Lineup has already been implemented with this change.

Perhaps fellow Jimny owners who have purchased May'24 onwards manufactured can confirm also.

Last edited by DCEite : 1st August 2024 at 10:33.
DCEite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 10:42   #17

Re: Maruti's poor implementation of the rear seatbelt alarm, without weight sensors!

I noticed this too in Brezza VXi which we purchased recently. However, I didn't notice the chime though, but noticed the MID which was displaying this continuously.
Attached Images

Suifuto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 11:26   #18
BHPian

I have a Tata Punch EV and this is honestly one of my only two gripes with an otherwise perfect car, the other being a lack of auto folding ORVMs at the Adventure LR variant, which is equally infuriating cost cutting. But that's at least something you get in higher variants, the rear seatbelt warning without a rear sensor is something you don't get in any variant of the Punch EV. I usually always keep the rear seat belts plugged in, and all the passengers in my car know that when they get out, before they do so, they have to plug in the seatbelts. But I really wonder, would a weight sensor for the backseats really cost so much money, especially that it can't be offered on a car that costs around 14 lakhs on road. What is sad is that the interior quality of the Punch EV is genuinely really good compared to equivalent Maruti counterparts, but the lack of auto folding ORVMs and weight sensors for rear seat belts cheapens the experience a little bit.
TorqueAddict007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 12:28   #19
BHPian

Very idiotic move by Maruti - this cost-cutting should have not been cleared by relevant Automotive governing body. We bought an Ertiga, but extended family doesn't travel together often - so there are often 4-5 seatbelts that are unbuckled, as there are no passengers. And the beeps are not only irritating, but can be distracting too.

Found a solution online with these seat buckle plug-ins, which can be used when there are no passengers. There are few designs that are bigger and jut out (more of extenders for reach perhaps), but I liked this one, as it sits flush and is made of metal completely. Faux carbon-fibre finish looks neat. Supposedly made in Korea as per packaging. Comes as a pair.

Note: In no ways i'm promoting this as a substitute for seatbelt, which I feel is essential even at low speeds, especially if travelling with children. Always ask passengers to buckle up, as driving conditions in India are totally unpredictable.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti's poor implementation of the rear seatbelt alarm, without weight sensors!-whatsapp-image-20240801-12.20.24.jpeg  

Maruti's poor implementation of the rear seatbelt alarm, without weight sensors!-whatsapp-image-20240801-12.18.32.jpeg  

Last edited by jessie007 : 1st August 2024 at 12:45. Reason: Clarifications
jessie007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 12:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Found a solution online with these seat buckle plug-ins, which can be used when there are no passengers. There are few designs that are bigger and jut out (more of extenders for reach perhaps), but I liked this one, as it sits flush and is made of metal completely. Faux carbon-fibre finish looks neat. Supposedly made in Korea as per packaging. Comes as a pair.
Even though you're using them only when there are no passengers (I hope), someone could buy one of these and use them for the wrong reasons, so I would request that you carefully consider promoting these. These are very popularly used to defeat even good (i.e. sound and complete) belt reminder systems, eg. in the front seats, and they also make the belts unusable. I don't think that's something the forum advocates (neither does the government).

AFAIK, cars with Maruti's SmartPlay head unit (both generations) allow you to turn off all the seatbelt reminders from the touchscreen. That's a far safer option than using a defeat device.

SmartPlay Pro for reference:

Last edited by ron178 : 1st August 2024 at 12:41.
ron178 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 12:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Even though you're using them only when there are no passengers (I hope), someone could buy one of these and use them for the wrong reasons, so I would request that you carefully consider promoting these. These are very popularly used to defeat even good (i.e. sound and complete) belt reminder systems, eg. in the front seats, and they also make the belts unusable. I don't think that's something the forum advocates (neither does the government).

AFAIK, cars with Maruti's SmartPlay head unit (both generations) allow you to turn off all the seatbelt reminders from the touchscreen. That's a far safer option than using a defeat device.
Edited in my post too

Note: In no ways i'm promoting this as a substitute for seatbelt, which I feel is essential even at low speeds, especially if travelling with children. Always ask passengers to buckle up, as driving conditions in India are totally unpredictable.

Also Ertiga Vxi & lower variants don't have Smart Play , so this option is not available. We have a Vxi.

Last edited by jessie007 : 1st August 2024 at 12:51.
jessie007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 17:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
I’m slightly confused, you’re saying the rear seat belt alarm goes off even with no one in the back? That’s downright ridiculous.
Yes, if no one is sitting in the back, it keeps beeping if the seat belt is not buckled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suifuto View Post
I noticed this too in Brezza VXi which we purchased recently. However, I didn't notice the chime though, but noticed the MID which was displaying this continuously.
This is great news. I had spoken to the service guy and he mentioned it was he got most complaints, maybe Maruti finally wised up. If it does 2 beeps and goes away while the blinking happens is a much better option, even though I still feel they should spend on the weight sensors, I can't imagine it being more expensive than features like the headlight washers that Jimny has.

Unfortunately Tata is now doing the same. Punch.ev (June manufactured) has the same issue and worse is it has 3 seatbelts in the back instead of 2.

This concern was called out in Team-Bhp review of the cars but I didn't understand the pain it causes until after experiencing it.
Old 1st August 2024, 22:11   #23
BHPian

I got my Brezza in Feb 2023 and my Grand Vitara in Nov 2023. The Brezza does not have the annoying rear seatbelt alarms, but the Grand Vitara does.

Now I have no choice but to buckle up the rear seatbelt even when I'm the only one inside the car, the alarms are that irritating.

The Nexa service advisors were all: This is how the car is, take it or give way for the next customer.

Now, my parents sit on top of the seatbelts in the rear.
Small Bot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 22:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post

Now, my parents sit on top of the seatbelts in the rear.
Sorry but why don’t you get them to buckle up at the rear?
Old 1st August 2024, 23:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueAddict007 View Post
What is sad is that the interior quality of the Punch EV is genuinely really good compared to equivalent Maruti counterparts, but the lack of auto folding ORVMs and weight sensors for rear seat belts cheapens the experience a little bit.
Same issue in my Tiago ev which we got last week. How can TATA be so stupid I can't even understand. It feels so stupid to fasten all seat belts at the back when you are driving alone. Reading this thread it seems this is contagious and other manufacturers are also guilty of the same. So much R&D and still these guys make amateur mistakes.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 09:40   #26
BHPian

Same with other Tata vehicles too. I bought a Tata Punch recently that had the exact same issue. I have fitted this item available on Amazon to stop the annoying alarms for the rear seats.
For front seats, I fitted extension pieces for the fixed latch socket (not available on Amazon anymore). Thus, there are no seatbelt warnings or alarms anymore!

The flip side is that air bags for those seats fitted with any of these will also open up, if there is a crash. Since crashes are a rarity & air bag replacement isn't all that expensive, I have gone along & fitted it to all the seat belt sockets.
Old 2nd August 2024, 09:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaser View Post
I have fitted this item available on Amazon to stop the annoying alarms for the rear seats.
FYI they're banned
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...per-clips.html (Government order against selling Seatbelt alarm stopper clips)
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 13:44   #28
BHPian

Hmm, posted the below on that thread....

Govt should also have given direction to car makers to ensure that they don't take the seatbelt alarms too far in the name of safety & incorporate weight sensors on seats to prevent alarms from sounding continuously or for too long when no occupants are on seats.

In the absence of such govt directions, car makers will continue to take the easy way out by spending the least while also complying with seatbelt warning requirements and people will continue to use alarm preventers.
Old 2nd August 2024, 22:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

I don't think most of us are going to be pleased to find out why the journos have parked this Basalt's seatbelts...

Maruti's poor implementation of the rear seatbelt alarm, without weight sensors!-gt_hf1jwsaavnui.jpeg
Source: carandbike on Twitter

@Mods, please try to check this in your Basalt test car, if it's possible.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 07:43   #30
BHPian

The most annoying cost cutting if I've ever seen one!

The actual cost of sensors might be miniscule. I believe they're saving time and effort spent on the assembly line for routing the wiring harness for the load sensors. Also there needs to be some R&D money spent on designing the modified wiring harness, the load sensor mounting points and a place to have them underneath the rear bench and a modified rear bench, if I'm not wrong. I'm sure all these are solved problems in the automotive industry. But Indian manufacturers still resort to "jugaad" approach!

I think our car market has matured enough that the manufacturers have to stop doing these things. It's just poor judgement. May be we can all sign an online petition and force their hand. Lately I've been seeing so many manufacturers refuse to give the features that are asked by customers repeatedly. Is it arrogance? Perhaps we needed better competition to make them move their asses and work on their products.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks