Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2024, 09:01   #1
BHPian

Karnataka to file FIR for speeding over 130 kmph

FIR would be registered against those driving beyond 130KMPH anywhere in Karnataka from August 1. Penalty includes 6 months of imprisonment or fine of Rs. 1000 or both.

Quote:
"From August 1, FIR will be registered against those driving vehicles above 130 kmph anywhere in Karnataka for rash and dangerous driving,"
Quote:
"In the year 2022, 90 percent (accident) deaths in Karnataka were attributed to high speed (over-speeding). Of late, the Supreme Court monitoring committee asked us to make effective enforcement with regard to this. In this direction, we came up with this (registration of FIR against those speeding above 130 kmph). Enforcing it would be a real challenge but we will try to do it,"
Quote:
"For instance, we have speed laser guns installed all along the Bengaluru-Mysuru Highway which record vehicle speeds even at night and Automatic Number Plate Recognition Cameras along the highway help us in recording pictures of over-speeding vehicles, along with their speeds. So, it would be easier for us to record and book them (violators),"
Quote:
"In other cases too, we are using speed laser guns. We have distributed 155 speed laser guns. Day time, it is easier to record but at night, using it manually becomes slightly challenging,"
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../112073065.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Karnataka to file FIR for speeding over 130 kmph-screenshot-20240730-085218.jpg  

Makin Rulesz is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 09:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Karnataka to file FIR for speeding over 130 kmph

I was travelling at around 100kmph a few weeks back. Was passed by a couple of convoys of police cars + babus + honorable elected representatives doing over 150kmph.

Now. Well, I better keep quiet.
Naetik30 is online now   (51) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 09:49   #3
BHPian

The rule is effective from 1st August, so speeding is ok till 31st July....
Quaser is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 10:25   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

An FIR is really overkill, and the overburdened police department + courts have more important FIRs to solve (drunk driving, murders, scams, violence etc.).

I would say, just use more speeding cameras and increase the fine to 2000 bucks. That has worked like a charm on most roads in and around Bombay. You look at the Atal Setu sea bridge, JJ Flyover, Bandra-Worli sealink...99% of cars are adhering to the speed limit. Even on the Mumbai-Pune expressway, you'll see most cars sticking to the speed limits.
GTO is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 11:17   #5

This is clearly not going to work, the amount of time and effort required in the FIR process is not worth it and makes no sense. No offence, but all I see is an increase in the bribe amount as it is a win-win for the driver as well as the cop. Neither of them would have the time or patience to go through the legal FIR procedure.

Instead, the government should focus on imposing heavy fines for reckless driving through speed cameras and ensure the fines are paid. I see a lot of examples where 2-wheelers have more than 50k pending fines (the vehicle itself would not have that value lol).
G13BB is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 12:16   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

This is a bit too much, just raise the fines and be done with it, an FIR is just plain overkill. The Government in Karnataka has been making too many hasty decisions in poor taste lately.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 12:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

Another fear mongering towards discipline, has it ever worked? I agree with others, just increase the fine to 2 or even 5k per violation and even with the leakage at realisation, people will fall in line in few days.

More importantly, they should have similar rules for lane discipline which is one of the reason for fast and rash driving to begin with. Get those heavy and slow moving vehicles away from overtaking lane and the road would be much more safer.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 12:58   #8
BHPian

It will become another tool for the police to make bribe money (pay 5/10K else face a FIR) just like the drink driving rule is exploited in Bangalore
Old 30th July 2024, 13:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You look at the Atal Setu sea bridge, JJ Flyover, Bandra-Worli sealink...99% of cars are adhering to the speed limit. Even on the Mumbai-Pune expressway, you'll see most cars sticking to the speed limits.
The speed limits on bridges will work. I'm assuming that like flyovers and elevated toll ways here in Bangalore, these would have speed limits from 30-40 kmph. Maybe 60kmph on the really long ones.

We stick to 30 kmph and watch in frustration, the govt buses, public vehicles and taxis which have prepaid the fines zip by.

Here we have a proposal for FIR on speeds over 130 kmph which is quite uncommon. I say bring it on. Anyone driving above 120 kmph in city limits needs to be taken down.
Old 30th July 2024, 13:39   #10
BHPian

FIR is too much.

A better alternative is to increase the fine proportional to the excess speed. Say the speed limit is 100 and someone driving at 110kmph cannot pay the same penalty as someone driving at 150kmph, should be at least 5x.
Meph1st0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 13:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Why dont they take preventive measures like introduction of a traffic rules and driving etiquettes subject in schools after 10th class with practical simulation classes. This will educate the future generations and might help in improving the driving behaviour of coming generations.
mercedised is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 17:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
An FIR is really overkill, and the overburdened police department + courts have more important FIRs to solve (drunk driving, murders, scams, violence etc.).

I would say, just use more speeding cameras and increase the fine to 2000 bucks. That has worked like a charm on most roads in and around Bombay. You look at the Atal Setu sea bridge, JJ Flyover, Bandra-Worli sealink...99% of cars are adhering to the speed limit. Even on the Mumbai-Pune expressway, you'll see most cars sticking to the speed limits.
Completely agree. In fact making the enforcement strict is a much better method than increasing the quantum of punishment and catching over speeding, wrong side driving etc are some of the easiest of the rules to enforce strictly by automating the whole process.
Old 31st July 2024, 00:55   #13
BHPian

Norway has the concept of average speed zones where photos of the vehicle are taken at the start and end of the zone, and the average speed is calculated from the difference in the timestamps. This is more effective than capturing speed at a single point, and very effective at ensuring that people don't overspeed on sections like bridges, tunnels, etc. The fines are substantial and work extremely well as a deterrent against overspeeding.
Old 31st July 2024, 08:55   #14
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Kerala has mastered the art of levying fines using AI cameras. Agree it might not be 100 % accurate all the time, nevertheless it's far more efficient than lodging FIR.

This, if implemented can be a huge strain on the existing stretched judiciary system. Am sure they've better things to do.
Old 31st July 2024, 09:35   #15
BHPian

I have a little different/controversial take to all of this, all the speed cameras everywhere and even on expressways make driving extremely restrictive and frustrating for me, so much so that I am considering stopping to drive altogether or shift to another country.

I mean in city driving (in Delhi NCR) there is hardly anywhere where the speed limit is above 50 and many places randomly have speed cameras so you never know what comes ahead and then there are cops with speed guns at random points. Well, I can understand on one hand this prevents over-speeding, but I would really like to look into statistics as to how this is realistically reduced road accidents. It surely would have increased the government's income by many fold. There are so many roads even inside Delhi NCR (the road infrastructure is mostly good) where traveling at 50 feels like driving in a bullock cart where your car feels it is not moving at all in the empty road.

Now, the highways too have random speed cameras everywhere and cops everywhere, even expressways are limited to 100 or 120 KM/h, so where exactly are we supposed to drive the 160 bhp, 200 bhp Turbo Petrols and Diesels, it is not that we were rash driving anyways but getting to reasonable speeds and staying safe can still be done, but today's environment is so restrictive that even a Maruti K10 engine in Alto is an overkill for both city and highway driving, so its better government altogether bans engines over 100 bhp for larger vehicles and 50 bhp for smaller ones, it will increase the fuel efficiency for otherwise we are just carrying extra weight for larger engines, turbos and ancillaries and not using them anyways.

The scenario was polar opposite when we owned Chevrolet Cruze 10 years ago and I was still a safe driver then, but I was not restricted with speed limits anywhere and could stretch the legs of my car, I am sure most us BHPians did and that's why we are car enthusiasts and not merely drivers of cars, I realistically and honestly cannot see a scenario where I can even use our Verna NA to its fun potential and certainly not to its limits let alone any other powerful cars, even 20 years ago our Toyota Corolla used to revv to glory @ 60 Km/h in first gear, today that would be called breaking the speed limit everywhere inside Delhi NCR.
Rocketscience is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed