Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2024, 18:45   #31
BHPian

Re: Karnataka to file FIR for speeding over 130 kmph

A welcome move. Sadly, we need such measures to behave. If this is implemented, we will see positive outcomes in Karnataka.

Do not take FIRs to be registered literally. I believe this is a brilliant mind game.

Last edited by Boomerang : 31st July 2024 at 18:45. Reason: spell check
Boomerang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 21:26   #32
BHPian

For Karnataka and Bangalore in particular, it will be better to use strict laws to prevent Auto Drivers from blocking both sides of the road (illegal overtaking, driving on wrong sides). While in Bangalore city, average speed hardly goes above 10-15 kmph (barring NICE road may be), if Auto Driver menace could be curbed, that will really make life tad better for sure.
sarbagna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 00:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I would say, just use more speeding cameras and increase the fine to 2000 bucks.
Yesterday, while casually checking for challans on CRED app, found an overspending ticket with a fine of 2000. Couldn't' find any details on karnatakaone portal.

Finally on the bangalore traffic police portal found the speeding ticket details along with the photo of my car. The photo was captured by Automatic number plate reading camera and it was take just after the trumpet flyover when your going toward KIAL. Interestingly, the photo's dont show what speed I was driving, they only show a red rectangle around the car indicating the vehicle was above the speed limit.

I remember going to KIAL to pick my sister and family. As per Kia connect the max speed I did on that trip was 100, while the speed limit on airport road appears to be 80. Needless to say, I simply paid up the fine.

On a side note, when I shared this detail on WhatsApp with my friends, one of them asked if government will pay us back when we aren't able to drive at the prescribed speed limit due to traffic and bad roads
ant_vas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 16:45   #34
BHPian

I ride a 2013 Duke 390, and I think maintaining 130 kmph for too long is invitation to an accident, on most Indian highways. 80-100 kmph is the sweet spot, even for cars.

Expressways are an exception though, with fencing on both sides and multiple lanes and a bare minimum speeds maintained, they're ready to carry upto 150 kmph or so, if the rider or driver is. But this supposed to be done systematically on a national level, not like one random guy deciding he's gonna rev the hell out.

Till this happens, I believe 130kmph is a safe limit for serious action.
The liter class bikes and most high speed cars have enough torque to do 70 kmph in top gear, so what's the excuse? Using lower gear is a choice too.

Remember, I got the Duke 390 despite knowing the traffic laws, its my choice. I am responsible, just like you are when you get a high speed vehicle.

Although, let me stress that overspeeding FIR is a bonehead move, considering the burden on the system already.
Visual warnings on roads, a monetary challan delivered direct to doorstep and vehicle confiscation if challan is not addressed is the best procedure in my humble opinion.

Owner's Resistance to confiscation of vehicle may call for FIR, but not speeding, please!
Samarth 619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 17:37   #35
BHPian

All these limits should be limited to city roads. People having superbikes and super cars cannot drive/ride under 130kmph all the time. Most of the cars and bikes these days are safe up 160-170kmph with ABS, EBD, Traction control etc. In general most people cruise on highway between 100-140kmph. Having ultimate machines and good roads, every bike and car enthusiasts touch 170-180kmph occasionally and they do it when they feel they are safe. Slow moving vehicles like Tractors, JCB, Road rollers, Commercial pickup, Animals, Speed breakers are dangerous than speeding.
Old 1st August 2024, 19:22   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
All these limits should be limited to city roads. People having superbikes and super cars cannot drive/ride under 130kmph all the time. Most of the cars and bikes these days are safe up 160-170kmph with ABS, EBD, Traction control etc.
Trusting ABS, EBD, Traction control to save you from a 160/170 kmph crash is like believing that five star "desh ka loha" will save you from an under-ride crash. Whatever be the technology involved one cannot wish away physics. Just to give you a perspective, if you do a HALO jump the terminal velocity that one achieves is about 203 kmph and here we are taking about 170 kmph on Indian highways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-a...ry_parachuting

Most countries where there are better highways, better traffic sense and better enforcement, consider 120 kmph as the maximum speed limit for their fastest highway. Even on the German Autobahns the recommended speed is about 130 kmph. By what logic can we justify having no limits on Indian highways/express ways.

Quote:
In general most people cruise on highway between 100-140kmph. Having ultimate machines and good roads, every bike and car enthusiasts touch 170-180kmph occasionally and they do it when they feel they are safe. Slow moving vehicles like Tractors, JCB, Road rollers, Commercial pickup, Animals, Speed breakers are dangerous than speeding.
Whether you like it or not this is the reality of most of Indian roads even highways. Driving at 170-180 is insane and cannot be justified.

And finally what is the fun in barrelling down an arrow straight highway at insane speeds? Do a track day or drive through winding ghat sections (at much slower speeds of course) or if you are up to it (I am not) do some off roading. But for god sake please please please refrain from such insane speeds on Indian highways.

Last edited by electric_eel : 1st August 2024 at 19:33. Reason: typo
electric_eel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 20:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
Most countries where there are better highways, better traffic sense and better enforcement, consider 120 kmph as the maximum speed limit for their fastest highway. Even on the German Autobahns the recommended speed is about 130 kmph. By what logic can we justify having no limits on Indian highways/express ways.
I am from motorsports background. Definitely I don't consider public roads as racing tracks. There are certain highway stretches which are safe up to 180kmph. But only for 2-3 Kilometres, again it depends upon traffic on that road. For regular touring I stay in between 100-140kmph, I m sure many ride/drive in this speed. Limiting it to 130kmph is no fun when u buy high torque vehicles and go on best roads only to enjoy your weekend ride/drive.
Old 1st August 2024, 20:42   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I am from motorsports background. Definitely I don't consider public roads as racing tracks. There are certain highway stretches which are safe up to 180kmph. But only for 2-3 Kilometres, again it depends upon traffic on that road. For regular touring I stay in between 100-140kmph, I m sure many ride/drive in this speed Limiting it to 130kmph is no fun when u buy high torque vehicles and go on best roads only to enjoy your weekend ride/drive.
That is the point. The drivers on our highways are not motor sports experts. They are average (middle aged) Joe like me with our (at best) slightly above average automobiles and hardly any protection other than standard equipment. What is the rational to say that we should have no speed limits on these roads ? Look at it from the perspective of the policy maker and not from the perspective of an automobile enthusiast.
Old 1st August 2024, 21:57   #39
BHPian

Well, I am good with them limiting the speeds and going ahead with filings FIRs for 130kpmh+ speeds. However, how does the govt intend to pay us, motorists, for perennially 'under construction' roads, 'non-existent' roads, roads where the confusion pops - if there are potholes on the tarred/cemented surface or just some tarred/cemented small stretches in the between of potholes, etc, etc, etc?

Seeing such injustice, I remember an old kannada song 'Nyaya Yellide'

kiran_aithal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 08:13   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
Look at it from the perspective of the policy maker and not from the perspective of an automobile enthusiast.
The perspective of policy maker is very simple. Collect more money from the public by making arbitrary rules.

I'm sure , the road fatalities will not go down after implementing this , and they will make another arbitrary law this time at 100kmph or 90 kmph, like city of Bristol did at 20mph, which is ridiculous. The fact of the matter is , majority of road fatality victims on our roads include bikers , who cause these accidents by not following lane discipline on our highways. Like any other useless bureaucratic policy with their 8th standard textbook mugging knowledge, this law is patronizing that bad behaviour of these kinds of bikers, overloaded autos, shepards' with their flocks or random stray cattle, one way riders, chit chatters on bikes on highways by penalising and telling good users "to accomodate" by limiting your speed.

Considering our policies"to accomodate" inefficiencies and lazy behaviour on roads or elsewhere, this law can regress into 40-50 kmph as well. At that point we can use bullock carts or some ev and drive it at 40kmph for more range and feel happy.
Earthroamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 10:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
People having superbikes and super cars cannot drive/ride under 130kmph all the time.
I'm an enthusiast too, but with all due respect, its not fair winning the debate with a lie.

I've spent an entire 11 years with a Duke 390 having not crossed 90 kmph except when I was on a racetrack. And we all know how it struggles below 70 in 6th gear.
Superbikes of any kind have it far easier than the single cylinder bike I refer to.

Hayabusa does an easy 50-70 kmph in 6th gear.
Street Triple did 35 kmph in 6th gear back then. I'd have about similar expectations from Trident.
Ninja 650 does 45 nice and easy.
ZX 4R can do easy 60 kmph and even lower in top cog.
Most Litre class bikes do an easy 80 kmph in low revs and top gear.
600 Supersports are extinct except for ZX 6R-636, but hey, it too does a good job.
Don't even bring the Adventures into the debate, they're far better mostly.

All these bikes can easily overtake swiftly at the speeds mentioned.

Some Ducati twins might have this problem, but they can't help, being twins with unequal firing order after all. A gear lower does the trick mostly.

So, which other superbike has trouble remaining below 130?
Old 6th August 2024, 10:43   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
So, which other superbike has trouble remaining below 130?
Well, perhaps the superbile rider has trouble remaining below 130. One of the purpose of owning a super bike or a super car is ride / drive fast and enjoy the exhilerating joy, speed brings. Whether its legal or not is a different issue. But riding / driving fast on a fairly well built highway is what these bike/car owners aspire to do.

I have a KTM Duke 390 which is 11 years old. Its a 2013 model, It's among the first lot of 390 and I ride it at a decent speed of 80-100 Kmph. My friends have Hayabusa and Yamaha R1, Ducati Multistrada, Triumph street triple and the likes of such bikes and I see that often they can't resist the temptation to go high speed on a well laid highway (for example, the stretch between Dharwad and Belgaum or between Belgaum and Kolhapur).

Now can these bikes maintain a decent speed between 80-100 Kmph? They can. Will they? They won't. Why? Well, they love the thrill of speed and would like to wring their wrist once in a while. They spent millions on their bikes that could do just that. Is it illegal? Yes. considering the hazards our highways pose from unexpected cow, dog, cyclists, people crossing, slow moving trucks and more. But they still speed up once in a while to enjoy what their bike has to offer.

Will they change their behaviour as the new laws come into force? Perhaps they will do their speeding in closed and controlled environments like race track or some abandoned industrial area roads where police are not looking. Or they will continue to do so, if they have deep pockets (which most of them have) and are well connected with all the powers be?(again most of these riders are). So, will it be business as usual? May be, may be not. time will tell.

Last edited by ashkamath : 6th August 2024 at 10:45.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 10:59   #43
BHPian

Isnt this common everywhere in world ? At a certain speed over the speed limit there are stricter penalties, misdemeanour charges with possible jail terms on US roads (penalties vary for states). Most states have 75mph (121kmph) as the speed limit (except Texas at 85mph). So how does 130 kmph lesser anyway ?

Rules make sure the road is safe for everyone.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 11:33   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Well, perhaps the superbile rider has trouble remaining below 130. One of the purpose of owning a super bike or a super car is ride / drive fast and enjoy the exhilerating joy, speed brings. Whether its legal or not is a different issue. But riding / driving fast on a fairly well built highway is what these bike/car owners aspire to do.

I have a KTM Duke 390 which is 11 years old....
Agree with each word you said. But that essentially shifts the blame from the bike/car to the rider/driver. In the long term, we'll have to answer the question:- is bending the law an option for a T-bhpian?

Are we a community that says, "We follow the law, we hate helmetless rapid-lane-changers. Yet, we bend the law in terms of speed limits sometimes when we deem it safe.."

Current legal top speeds for an unmarked road is 80 kmph (for motorcycles only), not a bad speed by any means. This is what I maintain everyday on my commute, even got my bike undergeared for the same.

After riding some superbikes myself, I can only suggest them 3 things:-

1. Your investment isn't wasted mostly if you follow speed limits, as you can still use the acceleration.
You can still ride racetracks and private grounds legally, you just have to hunt for it. Rev high in lower gears on the roads. I know its illogical & tough, but law is a thing, right?
2. You knew both the speed limits and your bike's potential before getting the bike. Try being responsible.

Of course, the universal principle is each man decides for himself, so I won't go ahead and propagate things. But this is just my 2 cents. Peace.

Last edited by Samarth 619 : 6th August 2024 at 11:34.
Samarth 619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 12:17   #45
BHPian

Let me explain how it is done here. It's a very simple non-complicated process here. There's a buffer of 4kmph for any speed limit mentioned.

The whole country has one rule, it's not that one region has different from others

Assuming the road is 120Kmph,

- you are good to go till 124kmph with no speeding violations
- From 125 to 140kmph - fine of 6K (INR equivalent)
- From 141 to 150Kmph - fine of 10K (INR equivalent)
- From 151 to 160Kmph - fine of 20K (INR equivalent)
- From 161 to 170Kmph - fine of 30K (INR equivalent)
- Above 170 - fine of 40K (INR equivalent) + Suspended license + Jail time, If repeated offender - License is revoked.

I won't go in details for the point system accumulation, as above certain point in a year have different penalties.

Now something about the whole process, how easy it is from start to end, there is no human intervention at any time and no red tape,

Assuming one is driving at 145kmph on a 120 road;

- The camera will flash at you right in your face, you will immediately come to know that you have got the ticket. (now they have started keeping the camera behind, the flash is missed now, unless you see it in the rear view)

- Next you will get the text on your phone with the amount of violation with the link of GPS coordinates and the speeding pictures attached, this usually comes within 2-3 days.

- Same time it will be reflected in the traffic website and in your bank account too for payment. On traffic website you can put in for challenge (once done you will get a reply in 10 days), if you are sure that you have been wrongly penalized

- If not, you can just go in your bank website, login and pay your traffic violations, case closed.

- If not paid within 30 days the amount gets doubled. At times, there are happy days in a year too, when government decides to give 50-75% discount on your total traffic violations.

For expats the worst is - You cannot leave the country until all traffic violations on your head are duly paid. They will make you pay at the immigration before you leave the country. Fun fact is, people with millions of loans on their head can leave the country without any trouble but with traffic fines (comparatively peanuts) one can't .

For locals, it creates them problems with the government agencies once they go for renewals.

I wish in India the process would be simple robust and without any human intervention. So far that's a wishful thinking.
NomadSK is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks