Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2024, 09:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Karnataka to file FIR for speeding over 130 kmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
I am considering stopping to drive altogether or shift to another country.
If you think you can drive as you want in other countries or drive over speed limit, best of luck. Countries like Switzerland are so strict that you can only be in fraction of speed limit, both above and below, or you will be fined.

My brother who loved driving has not picked a car in Switzerland, as he says it is extremely boring that you just put car in cruise control and follow the traffic ahead.

Yes FIR sounds very vague and stupid, but I am fine for implementing the speed limit rules everywhere. Just make the fine very high and make it automated. They can also probably look at option to fine you tagging it to your fast tag so that people can't escape it. There are options to implement it, but FIR is not the one.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 09:51   #17
BHPian

At what speed do we think its endangering other's lives on the road with very high probability ? Guess they are taking 130kph as the limit. Do we want to change that to a higher limit

People will say at any speed stupid drivers can kill road users to argue
Old 31st July 2024, 10:06   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
If you think you can drive as you want in other countries or drive over speed limit, best of luck. Countries like Switzerland are so strict that you can only be in fraction of speed limit, both above and below, or you will be fined.
Autobahns of Germany?
If we are driving at stupid and randomly assigned speed limits in city, at least the well designed expressways can be unrestrictive? Is that too much of an ask?
And like I said it is a controversial take and I anticipated most BHPians would be against it anyways since everyone wants to portray an ideal image of themselves in front of everyone (not necessarily talking about you personally) and some are anyways slow drivers (to which I have no issues with but the slow drivers are totally against and non inclusive to those who drive enthusiastically, but please note that is different from rash and unresponsible driving, and I am not for a second advocating that and have always driven as per the flow of the traffic and used to drive fast in a safe and controlled manner, also not that driving fast is the goal, sometimes the ideal speed can be 80 instead or 50 on a road, or 130 instead of 100 on Yamuna Expressway, it is about feeling restricted by non sensical speed limits everywhere, even on expressways)

Also, a lot of people said they live to revv their NA engines (I am not all that game for NA engines anyways but that is a different story), so the question is most cars today Revv to 50-60 Km/h in first (the city speed limit exceeded) and 90-100 Km/h in second gear (most normal highways and some expressways speed limit reached/exceeded), when and where exactly do you people enjoy your high revving engines, please don't tell me 99% of you go to race tracks for that!
Rocketscience is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 10:11   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Not all countries have autobhans, and not all roads in Germany let you drive as you want. Same time it feels stupid when you drive at 100 on mysore express highway and everyone keeps overtaking you without any care of the law. Again FIR are stupid, but speed limits not so much.

Seeing how I ride a S1000RR I am one of the most impacted. I am still maybe ready to pay a fine bit not get a FIR lodged on me.

Last edited by AtheK : 31st July 2024 at 10:15.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 10:49   #20
BHPian

The hairbrained ideas continue. Living for the better part of a decade in Karnataka, I can safely say this is simply to increase the pay day of our state police folk, who seem to have lost out to the speed guns and AI cameras. Threat of an FIR is worth a lot more vs a fine of Rs 1,000.
I suspect that this would be implemented for the white Fortuners, Innvovas and other black windowed vehicle proudly bearing the Gov of Karnataka stamp, travelling at >150kmph. They would be simply saluted forward without any disregard of rules, tolls and ultimately human life.
ShreyG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 10:58   #21
Team-BHP Support

Frankly 120km/h is all you need. I have set a speed alarm at 140 and on journeys to Kochi, it only pinged once. Beyond 120km/h, it is pretty dangerous considering the two wheelers cows and erratic road discipline. At those speeds, we cannot react in time to others foolery.
ajmat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 12:11   #22
BHPian

FIR is definitely an overkill. It might only empower cops to ask for more bribe than make roads safer.

If they indeed want to make roads safer, they should introduce FIR filing for wrong side driving by tractors, two/three wheelers, trucks. IMO these are far more dangerous on highways as well as internal roads to pedestrians and other vehicles.
pratika is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 12:19   #23
BHPian

I have a slightly different take on this. Barring the new constructed Bangalore-Mysore expressway and NICE road at certain hours of the day, which road does the government think is fit to do 130Kmph. Doing 30 Kmph in Bangalore city is a big deal, thanks to the insane traffic, metro work and lunar surface of a road. Its is no better in NHs leading in and out of Bangalore with traffic and giant speed breakers playing spoil sport. Moreover 130 Kmph is like 80 Mph. Most interstates in US that are well maintained have their speed capped around 65 to 70 Mph with a few having higher caps. So, thinking that it's safe to drive around 130 Kmph in our roads is nothing short of insanity. All in all, just another knee jerk reaction from the Netas and babus that we have been seeing time and again.

Last edited by SR-71 : 31st July 2024 at 12:23.
SR-71 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 12:20   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
If they indeed want to make roads safer, they should introduce FIR filing for wrong side driving by tractors, two/three wheelers, trucks. IMO these are far more dangerous on highways as well as internal roads to pedestrians and other vehicles.
I whole heartedly endorse this, wrong side driving should definitely be a FIR amounting to "attempt to murder". It is so sad to see people blatantly driving/riding wrong side and yelling at you if you call them out, specially here in Bangalore. Even the so called well educated love doing it at a drop of hat.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 12:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
I

Now, the highways too have random speed cameras everywhere and cops everywhere, even expressways are limited to 100 or 120 KM/h, so where exactly are we supposed to drive the 160 bhp, 200 bhp Turbo Petrols and Diesels
Sorry to be blunt but public roads are not for the "enthusiasts". Please book a track day, drive fast, corner hard and have fun. No one is stopping you from doing this. On public roads stick to the limits.

What happens if the off-roading enthusiasts starts demanding that our roads be designed like a mud trail or the city center be like an obstacle course ? Sounds absurd ?

Last edited by electric_eel : 31st July 2024 at 12:35. Reason: typo
electric_eel is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 12:43   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Mod Note : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians & rude posts are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2024 at 12:45.
Rocketscience is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st July 2024, 13:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post

What happens if the off-roading enthusiasts starts demanding that our roads be designed like a mud trail or the city center be like an obstacle course ? Sounds absurd ?
Slightly OT- But isn’t this the status of roads (almost) at quite a few places
aadi2700 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 16:39   #28
BHPian

They meant to say only politicians who are using exchequer vehicles paid by tax of common people are allowed to go beyond 130kmph.
This country getting ridiculous every day.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 17:29   #29
BHPian

Better the fine and suspend license for a year. If required even increase the insurance premium for the car based on how many times the driver violated the rules
Old 31st July 2024, 17:52   #30

Not trying to be sarcastic but I feel some of the worst highways are in Karnataka along with mountainous speed breakers. I agree that driving at 130 kmph on unscientifically designed roads is dangerous. These roads do not have leveled surface, right amount of banking at turns and well marked lanes and shoulders. So, I support strict checking of speed limits but FIR with an arrest is for sure an overkill for exceeding speed limit. It should be combined with some clause like rash driving or driving on shoulders or dangerous overtaking, which again proven via video / photograph proofs. I am planning to start an initiative from my next highway drive itself that, I capture photographic proofs of such roads and keep posting with photos and if every one contributes, might at least make an iota of a difference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks