Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2024, 09:47   #1
BHPian

Responding vs Reacting while Driving

Today, let's delving into the captivating field of neuroscience to enhance our grasp of the distinction between reacting and responding in difficult situations. You may be curious about why this is significant. Well, comprehending how our brain functions can empower us to make wiser decisions, especially when emotions are elevated.

Name:  NewS.png
Views: 201
Size:  90.9 KB

Reacting is an automatic, emotional reaction to a situation, often driven by past experiences or fears and usually occurring without much thought. Most of the reactions to situations are anger,fear etc which mostly yield negative outcomes.

In contrast, Responding involves a more deliberate and intentional approach. It requires assessing the situation, evaluating the options, and making a considered choice.

The prefrontal cortex, situated at the front of the brain, is crucial for executive functions. This encompasses decision-making, self-regulation, and problem-solving, all of which are vital for a considered response. In contrast, the more primitive part of the brain, particularly the amygdala, governs our emotional and instinctive reactions. When we're stressed or perceive a threat, the amygdala can essentially dominate or override our brain, resulting in impulsive reactions rather than thoughtful, rational responses.

Name:  Thumbnail.png
Views: 198
Size:  96.0 KB

This is where Daniel Kahneman's concepts of System 1 and System 2 thinking come into play, as outlined in his research and book, “Thinking, Fast and Slow.”
  • System 1 embodies the reactive mode, characterized by its speed, intuition, and emotional drive. It's the brain's default mode, particularly under high stress.
  • Conversely, System 2 represents the responsive mode – it is slower, more thoughtful, and demands conscious effort.
Therefore, the crucial aspect is to recognize when we are functioning under System 1 and learn to activate System 2 when needed.
By grasping the neuroscience behind reacting and responding, we can better control our emotions and make more considered choices, even in the most difficult circumstances.

So, how does it apply to driving ?

What is Reacting ?

Reacting in driving means, when a high risk situation is developing and we do not observe and anticipate, we often react in panic using horn and brakes either due to fear or anger.
These high stress situations during driving invokes the survival mode in our brain and its normally not good as its consequences can be a disaster.
This is a perfectly natural and typical response, involving the activation of the sympathetic nervous system and the triggering of ingrained habits developed over a lifetime of experiences and interactions.
However, such reactions often do not contribute positively to our well-being or safety. If not managed, these responses can lead to increased stress and distraction, and ultimately are not in our best interest when operating a vehicle.

This is where training our mind is required where we can reduce unwanted risks.

Examples like,
  1. When you are driving and someone cuts you off and you are angry at him now.
  2. When you are driving on the highway and someone joins the highway without looking at traffic and you react instinctively using horn etc.
  3. Pre-conceived thoughts about certain vehicles to be aggressive. The moment we see them, we will be in rage.
  4. A dense traffic situation where we cannot do anything and someone makes a close move and we end up getting into road rage.
  5. Slamming on the brakes when someone cuts you off (impulsive and emotional)
  6. Honking the horn or gesturing angrily at another driver (defensive or aggressive)
  7. Speeding up to catch up to someone who cut you off (impulsive and competitive)
All this behavior comes from past experiences and by observing what’s happening around.

Example, look at this clip where a driver got enraged by another driver cutting him off and he ended up chasing him and ended in a bad crash.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C9u4B...Vta3RxeXIzcA==

Another example where a driver got angered after someone cut him off.

Some road rage situations arising due to reactions to situations :

Responding in Driving

Responding means giving out a thoughtful action which is given after critical thinking and carefully evaluating the positives and negatives in a situation.
In a response, the mind stays calm, which aids in understanding the incoming stimulus and doing an action after engaging both the conscious and unconscious mind. It involves reflecting on how the response will affect the environment and others around us.

Responding is not a default behavior of the brain and it must be cultivated.

Responses become automatic when an individual has self-awareness, self-regulation, mindfulness, empathy, and effective social skills.

By responding to a situation, we can create an outcome that is safer and beneficial to everyone around.

How does it apply during driving?

Assume we are driving on the highway and we know that the drivers could cut us off, we will not be surprised.
We will learn that we cannot do anything to change the situation, if the driver had decided to cut us off. Instead of engaging with him in rage, we can let go off him and focus on the big picture, which is keeping ourselves and our passengers safe.

Some examples of responsive behaviour while driving
  1. Taking a deep breath and maintaining a safe following distance and CAS when someone cuts you off (thoughtful and intentional)
  2. Checking your mirrors and blind spots before changing lanes (considering the situation and context)
  3. Adjusting your speed according to road conditions and weather (thoughtful and intentional)
  4. Signaling your intentions and checking for other drivers before merging or changing lanes (considering multiple perspectives)
A few clips from my dashcam to show the responsive behaviour to avoid potential rage.

I know that the car might cut me off, I’m prepared to allow the merge.

An exit/entry is coming and I’m prepared for cutting off by other cars and kept myself at a safe distance.

Conclusion :

We all tend to react more frequently than we respond, as responses require deliberate initiation by us whereas reactions are spontaneous.

Although learned, responses enable us to make more informed decisions. Thus, to improve decision-making and foster positive outcomes through our actions, it is always preferable to respond rather than merely react.

3 step process to train our brain to respond than react :
  • Identify the situations where we are reacting often. Examples like someone cutting us off, someone tailgating us, bikers cutting cars left,right and center, trucks moving slowly etc.
  • Now, this preparation helps us to plan our responses better instead of reacting to the situation in an impulse. When we know that, someone cutting us off is so common, there’s no need to react in surprise. We automatically, keep our speeds in control to manage the situation better.
  • Now, with our response system is in control of the situation, we avoid going to panic mode.
While responding, we are in control of the situation whereas in reactions, outcome could be unknown as we do not know, how the other driver takes our action.

By responding instead of reacting while driving, you can:

- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Improve your safety and the safety of others
- Avoid accidents and conflicts
- Maintain a positive and patient attitude

Remember, responding takes a moment longer than reacting, but it's worth it for a safer and more enjoyable driving experience!

More details :

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl...and-responding

https://ananda.ai/blog/reacting-vs-r...-and-examples/

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 28th July 2024 at 13:06.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 28th July 2024, 19:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Responding vs Reacting while Driving

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 07:28   #3
BANNED

Nice thread and an eye-opener too, it is true that although responding takes a moment longer than reacting, it's worth it for a safer and more enjoyable driving experience! and I have experienced this multiple times throughout my car ownership journey
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 15:24   #4
BHPian

I relate this to a saying that I've heard commonly - In India driving/riding is not only about your way of driving/riding, it's also about anticipating and understanding how others around you are driving/riding.

If you master the above, then you'll end up mostly responding than reacting. Anticipation and attention are key here.

I usually respond but at times respond with a reaction .
Buzzard_storme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 15:57   #5
BHPian

Good points, only one I’ll disagree with is the anticipatory slow down when the maroon S-Cross was turning, there’s enough space to smoothly continue in your lane without altering speed.

Reason being slowing down is not the best policy every time, in certain situations slowing down unnecessarily can also result in road rage as you are perceived as holding up traffic without reason.

Ultimately comes to the driver’s ability to quickly assess the dynamic environment around him, and take the best possible approach. I guess this is built over many decades of experience.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 16:04   #6

Excellent thread. Patience is the key to driving on Indian roads. If you understand that nothing can be changed and this is how it is, you will not get stressed or angry when someone cuts. Never react, respond.
Sidd_Kan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 16:57   #7
BHPian

Excellent thread. This will be helpful.
These days bikers squeeze into narrow gaps and come very near to the cars. Even if there is a median on one side. Many times scrapping the paint or hitting the mirror. One can only seethe in anger. How to anticipate this? Bikers just do not care.
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 17:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Excellent thread. This will be helpful.
These days bikers squeeze into narrow gaps and come very near to the cars. Even if there is a median on one side. Many times scrapping the paint or hitting the mirror. One can only seethe in anger. How to anticipate this? Bikers just do not care.
I've faced this a lot and I'm always watching the side view mirrors to catch anyone slipping through the gaps. Some expertly avoid hitting the mirrors, some hit and then apologize or acknowledge, and some just don't care - they hit and go on like 'what the dash'.

I've not found a way out for these situations, but have definitely learned to live with it!

Last edited by KarthikK : 29th July 2024 at 17:34.
Buzzard_storme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 20:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Today, let's delving into the captivating field of neuroscience to enhance our grasp of the distinction between reacting and responding in difficult situations...
Thanks - good article. I particularly liked how you explained the "responding" piece.

My learning is, if everyone in the road practices a 2s (two second) patience, we'll score exponentially high on road ethics and sensitivity towards others.

All I see today is so much ego and supremely bad driving etiquette arising out of 'impatience'. COVID period has been a major trigger and one can classify the etiquette into 2 phases, before COVID and after COVID.

I now a days try to dial in a little more space and time for mergers, overtakes etc (atleast 80% of the time) for other road users and find it nice. At the same time, I usually hear an angry honking from behind from drivers who think they could have made a great distance if not for that 2 seconds delay.

It's always funny to see those who are rushing don't make progress for more than 1 car length over the whole 5-10 kms drive inspite of all these tactics

PS : What gets my goat is moron bikers who take their family and babies on the bike and still aren't careful with their maneuver. I always wonder how they put their families in danger.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th July 2024 at 21:00.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 10:05   #10
BHPian

As a rule follower it’s very easy to be challenged, intimidated, annoyed and downright rageful when driving in India. When the law did not see me do the wrong thing I did not do it. That is the attitude. Reactions part I understand fully. It gets better with experience and it’s a safety skill.
However responding part is completely in our hands. I say let people have their 15 seconds of fame and let them go ahead. There is no need to tear the hairs over someone cutting off or deliberately not giving way when there is enough road for you to pass.
Great thread. Totally liked the way you explained with pictures and video.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 13:17   #11
BHPian

Interesting thread, to me it sounded like Defensive driving vs Aggressive driving.

Also, another observations I have, If 90% (assuming) are bad drivers, the rest 10% good drivers will also become more or less bad drivers. Specially true for me when I drive on Indian roads, its a chaos, brings out the worst in me. It's so unsafe and stressful that I completely avoid driving during my visits, specially in cities. At times its funny to see what people are upto.

And If 90% (again assuming) are good drivers, the rest 10% bad drivers will also become good drivers. Example - Indians driving outside, suddenly become good drivers.

Lesson learning - It's the fear of law which keeps drivers in check, till the laws are religiously followed and enforced upon, from design to driving, we will have more reaction based action than response based.
NomadSK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 10:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
<Snip> Also, another observations I have, If 90% (assuming) are bad drivers, the rest 10% good drivers will also become more or less bad drivers<Snip>
Can vouch for this, ruefully!

Take out my car from garage with a firm promise to spouse - "today I'll be a gentleman on roads, no swearing/cusswords in front of kids/getting restless in unruly traffic"!

It doesn't take more than 10min for my promise to go the same path my new-year resolution went

Our compatriot road-users have that uncanny ability to bring out the worst in any driver , what with helmet-less 2wheeler riders chatting merrily with another rider or passenger w/o giving way to cars stuck needlessly behind them, autorickshaws weaving in/out like cockroaches, seemingly educated folk driving even high-end cars like Merc/BMW acting like taporis on road, that aunty driving an i10 giving one a "dirty look" as if one asked for her dad's "prawn" collection... the list is endless.

It's tough to maintain zen amidst such chaos
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 23:38   #13
BHPian

Excellent thread, lots to learn and be a better driver and behave responsively while on the road.

I remember one incident when I was totally lost on whether to react or respond... around 10 years back, when I was at Pune; during one monsoon, I set out with family on a day drive towards Kamshet. I was traversing an internal rural road, the road was good, with fields both the sides. Due to the monsoon, the fields were lush green and must be muddy too (so one can't veer off the single lane road). I was driving slow, maybe at 30-40kmph and the road was a sigle lane road. There were no other vehicles on the road and we were enjoying the cool misty breeze and the scenery. Just then, I spotted 4 guys about 100m ahead, their 2 bikes were parked on the side of the road. Just when I was approaching, maybe within 20m distance, one of them drove and stopped the bike in the middle of the road, acting as if his cap fell off and he was picking it. I completely stopped a little behind, maybe just 10m from them. I was a little scared as my family (my wife and kid were with me). I then decided, come what may, if the situation arises and my way is blocked, I'm going to hit and move ahead. I raced the engine as a warning (the Fiesta Sports has a sweet roar)... probably the warning worked and the biker moved to the side. I had enough space to move ahead and whizzed past them. Looked at the rear-view mirror, thanked my starts and went home.
Looking back, I still think about the incident and what if they had blocked the road and what would be my reaction/response !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks