Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2024, 10:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Car crashes involving high end cars, why ADAS is not able to prevent them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthroamer View Post
AEB is a braking mechanism. If you're traveling at 120kmh on a national highway, and suddenly a cow or a villager on a bike pops up in your path out of nowhere, ADAS will apply brakes alright, but the braking distance , where the vehicle will stop, will vary depending on the speed, the weight and the brakes itself.
Quote:
AEB is bound to abide by the braking distance of the vehicle. If you are at 120 , and an obstacle (cow or biker) pops up suddenly in your path, AEB will apply brakes, just like human would. The vehicle will travel it's braking distance before coming to a halt. It will collide with anything and everything within the braking distance. It's applicable anywhere in the universe.
Completely agree. In any abrupt scenario, the advantage of AEB is only that it will initiate the breaking immediately without any loss of human reflex time/reaction time, which varies from 0.15 to 0.6ms for straight ahead obstacles. AEB can't defy rules of physics. At lower speeds, yes it can stop the vehicle, but once the speed is higher, all it can do is lower the momentum a bit before the impact.

Last edited by NomadSK : 10th July 2024 at 10:46.
Old 10th July 2024, 11:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Rare are the technologies that are idiot proof. When you have idiots who drink/overspeed/drive rashly, I would imagine the struggle that the tech would be facing to keep up.

I still drive an ancient car without these fancy techs and I must say I am a bit uninformed as to what the ADAS is actually supposed to do.

Wiki time
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 11:04   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
So, I feel if the vehicle has ADAS it should automatically be activated above a certain speed or acceleration.
Interestingly, I was told by my SA (when we bought FL Seltos last year), that AEB and forward collision avoidance will not work at speeds above 80 km/Hr.

Of course I have not tested this, so cannot confirm
GTX+ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 11:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
This is unscientific statement. Momentum cannot be destroyed. It's transferred/changed to different forms/forces.
We are getting into semantics here. Read my post in the context of the quoted post. What I was countering is there is no laws of physics that states that a vehicle's momentum can't become zero instantly(definition of instant is subjective). Ofcourse that momentum gets translated into force on the light pole in case of hitting it.
Old 10th July 2024, 11:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
why has the ADAS, specifically 'automatic emergency braking' not come in to play and prevented the accidents.
Is it because either the drivers would have disabled them or simply they do not work at these insane speeds?
Most likely, yes. Many drivers, even those in Team-BHP forum state they turn off AEB in their cars.

Even with AEB, the car behavior varies a lot from brand to brand. For ex, in Honda City and Elevate, if the car senses that there is a user input like steering direction change or brake depression, AEB doesn't come into play. The car assumes the driver is under control.

All ADAS features are there to avoid/mitigate collisions and to aid the driver. They will NEVER guarantee a collision free experience.

I've highlighted these points from the Honda Elevate Manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Car crashes involving high end cars, why ADAS is not able to prevent them?-cmbs-page-1.png  

Car crashes involving high end cars, why ADAS is not able to prevent them?-cmbs-page-2.png  

Car crashes involving high end cars, why ADAS is not able to prevent them?-cmbs-page-3.png  

Car crashes involving high end cars, why ADAS is not able to prevent them?-cmbs-page-4.png  

Car crashes involving high end cars, why ADAS is not able to prevent them?-cmbs-page-5.png  

Car crashes involving high end cars, why ADAS is not able to prevent them?-cmbs-page-6.png  

jerk_free is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 11:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post
Interestingly, I was told by my SA (when we bought FL Seltos last year), that AEB and forward collision avoidance will not work at speeds above 80 km/Hr.
The SA seems to have misunderstood. The Seltos AEB was found to be effective at city speeds and scored better ANCAP safety rating. It is to do with the response time of the overall system. Here is a link

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...y-original.pdf

Last edited by HillMan : 10th July 2024 at 11:50.
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 15:13   #22

Stepping away from ADAS for a bit, we hear the buzz words "AI" in everyday life, nowadays.
Can't we develop an AI based ECU limiter that would restrict speeds when geo location is within city limits? Add ADAS to it and probably, we may see less distressing news on a daily basis.

Privacy concerns will obviously be aplenty, but just food for thought.
dee_dust is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 17:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee_dust View Post
Stepping away from ADAS for a bit, we hear the buzz words "AI" in everyday life, nowadays.
Can't we develop an AI based ECU limiter that would restrict speeds when geo location is within city limits?
Nice thought. As part of ADAS the Traffic Sign Recognition feature is already available on Harrier/Safari top end variant. The bigger question is;
- Will people pay additional for those features?
- Do we ever in all practicality drive at the mentioned speed limits?

These features with add-on camera, sensors and expensive processors will shoot up the price. Auto industry is already under pressure to upgrade with pollution norms which is causing the vehicles to cost considerably more.

Still it is the brain behind the wheels that is responsible for everything on the road.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 11:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

This is a good thinking by Tesla
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...-features.html (Parental controls on Tesla EVs; To get new 'night curfew' & speed control features)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks