Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2024, 11:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Attempted highway robbery on Salem-Kochi Highway near Coimbatore

Looking at the things happening and coming on the internet these days and the vandalism being posted, we need to have the following:

1. Good quality dashcam undoubtedly.
2. A reliable, powerful engine.
3. Obviously a Safe car.
4. And your connect with your car and it's dimensions. They say the car becomes an extension of your body and it's very true.
5. Some tool/object for self protection. It may just be a spanner/wrench.
6. And a fit body and mind to be cool in such situations. No one is coming to save you at that moment. It is just you and your family.
7. Always being alert while driving in the night and being aware of the presence of vehicles around you at all the times. I do practice this.

I may be very paranoid and pessimistic but cannot help being so while looking at such videos.
gaurav.kokra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 11:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

Amateur attempt at best, Lead Innova did not box the target, rear Etios did not box the target, the red shirt guy is asking 'hand me something, I do not have anything to hit the car'. The guy without hoodie seems to be the sponsor 'I am not going to cover my face, let them know who I am' - yes the cops know you clearly.

The KL Etios # is captured. There is a red sticker on the side door of the lead Innova.
Both are previous gen Innovas from what I can tell. The red sticker is a TRD sticker and only the first Innova's registration was visible in the clip. (Unless am missing another footage from another view)
Old 18th June 2024, 11:51   #18
BHPian

Re: Gang attacks car near Kerala Tamil Nadu border

Interesting! Assuming the "attackers" were some kind of government/law enforcement officials, I wonder if this is the way they'd "target" a car with "suspects".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Looks like they were targeting a vehicle transporting hawala money and attacked the wrong car. One of the accused reportedly serving in the Army.
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 11:56   #19
BHPian

If we are to believe the multiple news reports this seems to be a Crime attempt gone wrong. This stretch they claim has many unreported crimes as well, makes me wonder if the the clash between Hawala dealers might be a regular think, hence why it might be going unreported.

Whatever be the case have to appreciate the driver's presence of mind for carefully himself and his friends out of the situation without hitting the criminals too.

Various incidents across the country only points to one thing - invest in a good quality dashcam with front & rear coverage.
Old 18th June 2024, 12:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePull View Post
This has happened in L&T bypass, which has high flow of traffic and difficult to get away quick. The distance between toll booths are also closer, to get help or alert police. I’m surprised they are doing it on such a crowded road bravely.

I can’t imagine the things going through the victim’s mind. But good he got the sense of mind to drive away by hitting the doors and make a run for it.
I use that road regularly to go to Pollachi. That stretch causes me a lot of anxiety, especially in the night time. The road is a narrow two lane, with a 5-6 feet drop on either side. Driving on it, by itself is a great challenge. Now, with reports of attacks happening on it, I may have to take the Coimbatore exit on the 6 lane road and work my way back, across the bypass. The tolls there seem unnecessary and only cause long traffic pile-ups that take hours to clear. I'd suggest taking that route only in the afternoons, when it is relatively free.
Sensible_Speed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 12:02   #21
BHPian

I belong to Palakkad district very close to Coimbatore and Pollachi Border and when I was a kid no family travels these routes between Velanthavalam /KG Chavadi etc after 6 PM because of robbery attempts. Even last week we went through the highway in that side and was discussing about it with my parents how we make sure to cross this area before 6 PM.

The drivers presence of mind is to be appreciated in this case. It is also luck because when he hits the doors of the car in front while trying to escape if the airbags got deployed that would have been the end of the story. Untill the police gets to the bottom of the story we can't say that this is a normal robbery attempt in the highway.
ashpkd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 12:08   #22
BHPian

@mods
Can you please merge this with the another thread titled “Attempted Highway robbery on Salem Kochi Highway near Coimbatore”?

You can either merge or delete this thread.

Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 12:33   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish.gawai View Post

Just a question. the driver is seen hitting the cars in front in the video, what if the airbags are blown, will he still be able to drive the car in such a situation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpkd View Post

The drivers presence of mind is to be appreciated in this case. It is also luck because when he hits the doors of the car in front while trying to escape .
Airbags work based on force which is a function of mass and speed. A person who was involved in personal protection told me that if you accelerate from rest within a couple of metres, there is minimal damage. As the doors are "flexible" since they are on hinges, they deform.

Smart move to reverse into the Etios and damage the radiator
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 12:35   #24
BHPian

This is a pre planned attack. They came in 3 innovas and targeted the vehicle specifically, it cannot be random robbery.

Also important legal changes should come out of incidents like these. If some one obstructs a vehicle and threatens that vehicle in any violent fashion , the vehicle should have right to run over the assailant and the driver shouldn't be treated for manslaughter.
Earthroamer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 14:24   #25
BHPian

I’m a bit scared regarding the laws in India regarding causing hurt while trying to defend or save one’s life If the gang has deep pockets, then it could get difficult for the victims. (Not applicable in this case as the only damage is to the cars).

That being said, if such an attack happens to me. It’s my life and the life of the people in my car that becomes my foremost priority.
I’ll deal with anything else after I get myself to safety.
Old 18th June 2024, 20:09   #26
BHPian

I believe there is more than what meets the eye.
Given the current scenario where the Enforcement Directorate (ED) has been handling multiple money laundering cases involving high-profile individuals and movie stars from KL, especially probing a recently released, highly celebrated movie. As per the reports, the modus operandi involved class B and C movie theatres in TN. The erstwhile Valayar checkpost and its surroundings have been notorious, any which ways.
Old 18th June 2024, 21:16   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish.gawai View Post
Horrible...

Just a question. the driver is seen hitting the cars in front in the video, what if the airbags are blown, will he still be able to drive the car in such a situation?

That depends on whether the car is equipped with a Pyro Fuse or not, which will blow when the Airbags deploy. In that case, the car will be immobilised.

So in case we end up in a situation like this, we have to make sure we don't hit so hard that the Airbags deploy. Irrespective of Pyro fuse, airbags going off is going to disorient us for sure, which is a very high risk, as every second counts.
bumpyroad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 10:55   #28
BHPian

Airbag may not deploy beyond 30 degree angle "-- _______ -- " imagine the two dots to be headlights and if sensors are towards the middle, then only the hit on the line will cause a deployment. The owners manual also says that if the hit is to a pillar dead center then also airbag may not deploy.

In this video the hit to the doors was more of a swipe

So now we need to know where the sensors are so that our Airbag does not punch us unconscious from inside the car, helping robbers outside!

Also, can ADAS collision avoidance system is autonomous and cannot be overridden by pressing the accelerator.

If anyone can shed more light..
Old 19th June 2024, 22:01   #29

I frequent this bypass road from near KMCH all the way till Ettimadai and sometimes to Walayar. This particular stretch is very narrow with few overpasses owing to railway tracks and have steep ditches on both ends in many places. Like few others mentioned before a few KMs in this road is uninhabited and from the looks of it is a troubled one, seems cops are now setting up checkposts. A welcome move

Quote:
In the wake of a highway robbery attempt on the Salem - Kochi National Highway in the Coimbatore district on Friday, Coimbatore (Rural) police are planning to set up a check post along the 26-kilometre stretch and increase patrolling.

According to sources the stretch between Neelambur and Walayar usually witnesses highway robberies. The number of such crimes is high between Neelambur and Madukkarai, where the road has just two lanes and a large area is vacant on both sides.

Other than the vehicular movement, there are no establishments in most of the areas. Taking advantage of this, gangs attempt robbery on the moving vehicles.
Source
GHPBrezzinBy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 17:26   #30
BHPian

Another day and a dashcam provides valuable evidence. Having dual dashcams is MUST for any car owner. Quick thinking and lucky escape.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks