Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2024, 14:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Almost 50% drivers 'wouldn't mind' having speed limiting tech in their cars, says IIHS

According to a new study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), around 50% of American drivers agreed they wouldn't mind having speed-limiting technology in their vehicles. The study further mentioned that more than 60% of drivers are in favour of audible & visual speed warnings.

The survey split the participants into three groups and asked about three different types of speed-limiters: advisory warning, making the accelerator pedal harder to push or a restriction in acceleration over the speed limit. The results showed a clear preference for advisory warnings rather than the other two aggressive interventions. Also, 80% of the respondents agreed to a 10 mph tolerance.

Almost 50% drivers 'wouldn't mind' having speed limiting tech in their cars, says IIHS-speedwarnings.jpg

David Harkey, President of IIHS, stated, "These findings are exciting because they suggest American drivers are willing to change how they drive to make our roads safer." He further added, "The next challenge is to encourage automakers and drivers to embrace it so we can begin saving lives."

Recently, the state of California passed a bill requiring 50% of all new vehicles to come with passive speed limiters by 2029. These include visual and auditory warnings when a car drives 10 mph over the speed limit.

Source: Road&Track

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 15:00   #2
GTE
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Almost 50% drivers 'wouldn't mind' having speed limiting tech in their cars, says IIHS

I find the beeps to be intensely irritating. It would be appropriate if they had a continuous sound at a speed of 121kph, as I believe the speed limits in certain areas is 120kph. But then one can't expect wisdom from the Babus. Like the time they forced Mercedes to put tubes in their tubeless tyre equipped cars.
Old 18th June 2024, 00:13   #3

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Almost 50% drivers 'wouldn't mind' having speed limiting tech in their cars, says IIHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE View Post
I find the beeps to be intensely irritating. It would be appropriate if they had a continuous sound at a speed of 121kph, as I believe the speed limits in certain areas is 120kph. But then one can't expect wisdom from the Babus. Like the time they forced Mercedes to put tubes in their tubeless tyre equipped cars.
Any links for the merc incident, sound hilarious
Ghosty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 01:54   #4
GTE
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

No links, this was revealed to us at Poona by someone from Mercedes when a friend wanted to buy a car. The first 'Indian' mercs.
GTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 08:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE View Post
I find the beeps to be intensely irritating. It would be appropriate if they had a continuous sound at a speed of 121kph, as I believe the speed limits in certain areas is 120kph.
I find single beep when you cross 80 kmph to be fine and may be if the continuous beeps are irritating then that is well and good. One should probably stick to the speed limit as much as possible. There is no road in India with a speed limit > 120 kmph and rightly so.
electric_eel is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 08:57   #6
BHPian

Did they really give an option like "none of these"?
If only said 3 options were given, it's no brainer that everyone would have gone for audible warnings. The other 2 options can catch you off guard, though not promoting high speed driving. But there may be situations.
Vizay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 14:31   #7
RMN
BHPian

Have all the options available in cars that can be modulated via the software.

And just enable it for these 60% of the people.
RMN is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 17:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
Have all the options available in cars that can be modulated via the software.

And just enable it for these 60% of the people.
If given an option we all know what a sizable fraction of people would do --- switch off all the warnings including, if possible, seat belt reminder. This is not acceptable. In matters of safety it makes sense to error on the side of caution.

Last edited by electric_eel : 18th June 2024 at 17:35.
electric_eel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 19:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Taken from the survey document:

And the link for the survey, if you have the inclination to go through it

https://www.iihs.org/api/datastoredo...liography/2308

It's 27 pages.

One user in the road&track link had mentioned insurance companies will soon charge premium if user opts out of these speed limiters Go figure.
Attached Thumbnails
Almost 50% drivers 'wouldn't mind' having speed limiting tech in their cars, says IIHS-survey.jpg  

Last edited by deathwalkr : 18th June 2024 at 19:05.
Old 18th June 2024, 20:10   #10
BHPian

It's a slippery slope if we were to consider only speed is responsible for the accidents and curtailing speeds would ensure safety. It is such a short sighted view.

A newbie probably couldn't handle the car while cornering at 60 and so on so forth.

Sooner we would be forced to buy expensive cars which drive like tractors of we go down that road.
Earthroamer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 08:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthroamer View Post
It's a slippery slope if we were to consider only speed is responsible for the accidents and curtailing speeds would ensure safety. It is such a short sighted view.

We are not talking about limiting speeds to 60 or so. We are talking about speeds that are much much more than the national speed limit (120 Kmph). The speed limits set in by OEMs that I am aware of (in the Indian context) are

- Volvos with 180 Kmph (Just a gimmick in the name of speed limiting if you ask me)

- Nexon EV I think has a limit of 140 kmph

- EC3 if I remember correctly has 107 or so as the limit.

I do not see any justification in objecting to these except for the last (on needs national speed limit + some delta). Remember that at 140 kmph you are going much much above the legal speed. Leaving aside the legal aspect, India where driving is insane, it makes no sense to go at such high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthroamer View Post
Sooner we would be forced to buy expensive cars which drive like tractors of we go down that road.
Public roads are no place for enjoying "non-tractor" performance (remember we are talking of speeds in excess of 120 kmph). There can of course be track specific cars which one can buy or lease and there should be special rules for that but otherwise I think having a speed limiter pegged at national speed limit + delta makes a lot of sense.
electric_eel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 12:03   #12
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
If given an option we all know what a sizable fraction of people would do --- switch off all the warnings including, if possible, seat belt reminder. This is not acceptable. In matters of safety it makes sense to error on the side of caution.
Which means this survey was incorrect and the non-existence of this rule can continue
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks