Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which are the most serious traffic offences according to you?
Driving intoxicated 311 84.74%
Driving without a valid license 83 22.62%
Reckless driving 206 56.13%
Speeding 90 24.52%
Jumping red lights 208 56.68%
Driving on the wrong side of the road 281 76.57%
Not wearing a seat belt 49 13.35%
Not wearing a helmet while riding a two-wheeler 62 16.89%
Using a mobile phone while driving 164 44.69%
Overloading passengers or cargo 72 19.62%
Parking in a no-parking zone 32 8.72%
Driving an unregistered vehicle 44 11.99%
Driving without valid insurance 54 14.71%
Not giving way to emergency vehicles 159 43.32%
Not following traffic signs and signals 123 33.51%
Driving without proper vehicle documents 17 4.63%
Not using indicators while turning or changing lanes 115 31.34%
Driving with tinted glasses beyond permissible limits 34 9.26%
Honking unnecessarily/excessively 61 16.62%
Using high beams mercilessly 175 47.68%
Modifying the vehicle without proper authorization 20 5.45%
Other (Please specify in your post) 6 1.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2024, 17:21   #61
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The most serious traffic offences, according to you

1) DUI - Drink and Drive is totally unacceptable.
2) Underage Driver
3) Driving without Insurance.
4) Driving on the wrongside of the road.
5) Breaking a Red Signal.

Least offensive to me is driving with expired PUC or exceeding the speedlimit by say 20% in a car in good condition as this can happen inadvertently.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 01:04   #62
BHPian

To me by far the most serious offense is not letting an emergency vehicle pass you. No matter what, there is no and should be no excuse for this. Especially when it's an ambulance or a fire engine. In India we see people rushing ahead of or following emergence vehicles just to save a little time, but at what cost! There's someone's life at stake.
Next worst offence is letting an underaged drive your vehicle. No matter what, us as a vehicle owner should never let anyone underaged, or anyone not holding a valid license drive our vehicle. I still remember how strict my dad was about this rule, and that he made me understand this 10 years ago in a way no one would.
sister
Besides this I feel no offence should do unexcused and penalties should get stricter to keep traffic offences under check. With automated cameras and AI coming into action, I strongly feel people should get more responsible with their driving.
Old 9th June 2024, 07:11   #63
BHPian

1. High beams in city: hazardous to eyes, but can also hide a good chunk of the object or person behind the oncoming high beam glare.

2. Flag pole on the side of bonnet just beats the purpose of all the pedestrian safety design put in by manufacturer.

3. Wrong side driving especailly on the right side. You're not doing any one any favours.

4. Red light jumping (especially premature evacuation 5 seconds before it turns green during the other sides yellow)

5. Honking and over speeding in residential areas. Calm down, you're not Collin McRae. You'll never be Collin McRae.

6. Driving slow on the right lane on a highway. We need to challan people for driving under 60 now.

7. Not being able to make a proper right turn from the proper right most lane with an indicator and a proper trajectory into the correct lane without cutting someone off.

8. Blocking a free left turn. You're the lowest of scum if you do that, seriously.

9. Tailgating emergency vehicles to get by quicker. Shame on you.

10. Over speeding and cutting everyone off. Calm down, Mr. Proud Creta Owner.

11. Under speeding and blocking everyone behind you while you conveniently text or talk on your mobile. Giddy up, Mr. Proud Thar Owner.

12. Cutting people off at toll booth lines and then counting change at the booth because you didn't recharge your fast tag. Get your house in order, bro.

13. Taking up 2 parking spaces. You deserve to get your doors dinged.

14. Any kind of DUI. I get it, you dont care much about your life, but just don't kill an innocent in the process.
tjsi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2024, 11:21   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

For me, driving drunk is the worst thing anyone can do. Am all for jail sentences even for people slightly above the limit and for lower limits for acceptable levels of alcohol. In a country like India, where labor is cheap, there is no set of circumstances where driving after drinking is acceptable.

Next, driving on the wrong side of a road. It is terrible in narrow urban roads, and far worse on highways. Anyone who does that should have their license suspended

Reckless driving is next. Of course, our cops misuse this clause and call anything reckless. But you need to drive based on road conditions. I don’t see a problem driving at even 160 kph on flat and straight access controlled highways or expressways. But weaving through traffic even at 60 kph may be reckless. Unfortunately for this to be punished, you need honest cops who are trained to understand what is reckless - instead of assuming that the richer guy is always at fault.

Jumping red lights is the next big offence for me. I must say I have done it too early in the morning - but that is after being rear ended twice while waiting at signals which everyone else was jumping. But at any other time of the day, if the signal turns orange or the counter is close to zero in a green signal, you MUST STOP.

Finally underage driving (which is how I interpreted driving without a license). There are so many friends who start teaching their 16 year olds to drive. For me that is criminal and the parents who do that must be locked up for long terms. Of course, I don’t see an issue if someone who has a valid license has forgotten it at home - happens all the time and in any sensible jurisdiction, it would be dealt with by asking the person to produce the license before the relevant authority within 24 or 48 hours.
Hayek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 14:47   #65
BHPian

My biggest concern is the lack of situational awareness on our roads. Be it slow moving vehicles in the fast lane or occupying several lanes, driving erratically, not giving way to emergency vehicles, keeping insufficient space or gaps at traffic signals, stopping in the middle of the road, incessantly honking, the list goes on.

Coupled with the bad road design and construction, misuse of power, no fear of the law, minimal policing and this becomes a recipe for disaster.
Old 11th July 2024, 13:23   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Just check this out. A schoolkid falls from a city bus somewhere in Kancheepuram (T.N.), while he was perched on the bus' door tenderly holding the door handle, with other passengers. There was little trailing traffic, else the kid's life could have been in danger. He has surely suffered injuries. I feel the bus crew is responsible. It was the duty of the conductor not to allow kids dangling precariously on the bus door.

https://twitter.com/mumbaimatterz/st...DEFVOShKg&s=19
Old 11th July 2024, 18:57   #67
Senior - BHPian

Just an interesting observation, If one were slice/dice this poll. What the west or Dubai would consider sacrilege to commit has barely crossed 25% of the poll. Maybe the way Licence is handed out in India is a major contributor.

W/o Licence, Speeding, Seatbelt - I stopped counting my fines beyond this 3 Lol~!!

The most serious traffic offences, according to you-offence.jpg

Last edited by svsantosh : 11th July 2024 at 19:01.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 02:05   #68
BANNED

I live in Avadi of Chennai. Off late, at least for the past one year or so, I have observed the bravery of not only young chaps, but also family men with wife, kid or with friend, riding especially two wheelers in wrong side, which is not only harmful for the rider and his pillion(s), but also for the innocent chap riding in the right direction of the road.

Am not sure of traffic law enforcement authorities are aware of this or they are reluctant about this and sitting silent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks