Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2024, 10:18   #31
BHPian

re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

To people talking about Helmets : The unladen weight of a Porsche Taycan is 2.3Tons.

Yes, you read it right, 2.3 TONS. That Half a ton more than your 2024 Tata Safari or Thar.

Forget Helmets, nobody is surviving a 2.3TON vehicle hitting you at 150km/hr even with IronMan armour.

At the right angle, they would probably not survive even if they were in a car.

The only reason why the rich idiot in the Taycan isn't dead is because he hit the scooter instead rear ending a truck or hitting the divider.

As someone else said: Rules are only for people like is who cannot afford to break them.

Just like in cases of violence against women, this guy should be treated as an adult in front of the law considering this as an extreme case. I don't know, what extra bone he would have grown in the next 6 months that would cause him to be treated any differently than he is now or vice versa.

If he and his parents thought he could act like an adult, then he can definitely face the law like an adult.
ZenMaster is offline   (85) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 10:22   #32
BHPian

re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Can Mods please put a ban on the discussion of helmets in this particular thread?

Unnecessary derailing.

We have everyone from the punk kid to the political class and judicial system breaking every law (worse than not wearing a helmet) left right center and more than 50% of the thread seems to be taken over by helmet 'had they-hadn't they' posts due to some unnecessary victim blaming.

Last edited by TROOPER : 21st May 2024 at 10:25.
TROOPER is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 10:25   #33
BHPian

Arresting only the father makes no logical sense. The main perpetrator who killed two people should be charged with maximum possible punishment.
His father should also be accused for allowing underage son to drive.
If i remember correctly, when heinous crimes committed by juveniles they should be tried as adult.

Pune police are trying to accuse him as adult, so far they are unsuccessful. News source below
https://www.aninews.in/news/national...0240520225621/

Anyway, don't have much hopes here. The rich and influential will get away eventually.
SidTheChamp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 10:29   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
To people talking about Helmets : The unladen weight of a Porsche Taycan is 2.3Tons.

Yes, you read it right, 2.3 TONS. That Half a ton more than your 2024 Tata Safari or Thar.

Forget Helmets, nobody is surviving a 2.3TON vehicle hitting you at 150km/hr even with IronMan armour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Can Mods please put a ban on the discussion of helmets in this particular thread?
Agreed.

Mod Note: End of discussion on helmets please. As ZenMaster mentioned, not even body armour could have saved the poor riders. Anyone continuing the helmet discussion will be restricted from this thread.
GTO is offline   (77) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 10:33   #35
BHPian

As a lawyer, I can safely say that bikers not wearing helmets will not amount to any kind of contributory negligence in this situation. That line of argument is just absurd and all clever lawyer talk to secure bail.

Yes, people driving without an helmet are breaking the law, yes they should face consequences for their actions. But in law, driving without wearing a helmet purely attracts monetary penalty and nothing else. If the law is applied stringently and people are fined monetarily, the behaviour of riders will change in a very short interval.

Now in this case, the accused person was underage, speeding, driving under the influence of alcohol. Those three offences in itself are penalised, and the penalty is monetary. But moment you do combination of all that and then are involved in a fatal accident where counter party is killed, your offence becomes grave. The culmination and combination of all these facts means that you should be charged with culpable homicide.

Forget the fact that the bikers were not wearing the helmet. Even if they were wearing a helmet, the actions of the accused are legally to be punished, even if it means going behind bars. The reason for that is simple. Once you drive under the influence of alcohol, you are doing an act so rash that you are knowingly and wilfully committing an act that would lead to serious accident.

So yes, while the riders may or may not have been without helmets, that will have no impact on the sentencing the accused minor should receive.

Whether that actually happens, remains to be seen. I am already seeing how the Police is trying to change the direction of the investigation. If they arrested the owner of the bar for serving alcohol to the minor, logically, the parent under whose name car was registered should also be arrested for allowing the minor to drive a car unsupervised.

Thus, as far as I can see, the direction of investigation seems to have changed and money and influence is at play.

If I had this accused as a client, would I defend him to the best of my ability, yes, that is my profession. But will I condone his act, or try to justify his action on a public forum, I don't think so.

In my experience, most likely actions that will happen here are - the victims of the family will be appropriately compensated (though there should not be a price on human life, but alas that is how things work), the witnesses will disappear, and trial will linger on and finally, everyone will be acquitted as prosecution would have failed to prove their case beyond reasonable doubt. That is what I feel based on how things have happened so far.
Ays7 is offline   (73) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 10:44   #36
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Just ask yourself and remain true to your heart…
For me the answer is clear.
For you, the answer is clear and I have nothing against that. Just adding my views:

Quote:
Would the backlash been as bad had the 2 victims been badly injured but still alive?
I surely hope so.
An underage privileged person, driving at high speed under influence, in an alleged unregistered vehicle, causing loss of life or injuries or damage to property should stir a backlash.

Remove the underlined words from above statement and it should still hold true. Why? Because (read below)

Quote:
What are we looking for? The perpetrator getting punished or people not dying? Which is higher priority?
Unless we have strict laws and fear for law, sab chalta hai attitude will always be there and such accidents will keep happening. And the rich and powerful people just take these laws for granted and get bailed out of any serious crime.

For me, the priority is police and judicial entities setting an example that no one is above the law. Wishful thinking I know.
MyLife_MyCar is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 10:53   #37
BHPian

I guess the media glare is too much now

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../110287148.cms

So he basically tried every rule in the "power play" book but now every one he knows dropped him like a hot potato.

My heart goes out to the two people killed. RIP.
srini1785 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 10:55   #38
BHPian

Yet another day in my country.

So much outrage because a lot of us live or have been to Pune, it's one of our bigger cities, a Porsche is involved and yeah because 2 people died.

Yet another validation of the opinion I hold of people driving premium cars in India.

My old post from another thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5691592 (Your controversial car opinion)

I pray the perpetrator and his parents burn in a car crash !!

cheers
lazy

Last edited by lazy : 21st May 2024 at 11:12.
lazy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 10:57   #39
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
The perpetrator getting punished or people not dying? Which is higher priority? For me the answer is clear.
We need fairness in justice for everyone. It is essential for those in positions of power and wealth to be held accountable for their actions. This will send a clear message to others in privileged positions that they can no longer expect to get away with their misdeeds.

This will arguably save more lives and bring balance to an otherwise unfair society.
Bhargav7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 11:03   #40
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This is simply heart wrenching, the whole system including judiciary, police, parents, bar owners should hang their head in shame. If this doesn't moist somone's eyes, then what would. When as a society we would learn empathy. Too many questions with too litte answers.

Quote:
At 3 am today, an ambulance drove into Birsinghpur in Madhya Pradesh's Umaria district. As soon as its doors opened, family members of 24-year-old Aneesh Awadhiya broke down. The young IT engineer, who had been working in Pune, was among the two people killed after a speeding Porsche driven by a drunk teen hit their bike.
Quote:
Last night, the body of Ashwini Koshta reached her home in Jabalpur. Her family, too, is furious over the bail granted to the accused and has vowed to fight for justice till the end. "We are in shock. It is condemnable that he got bail in 15 hours. He and his parents should be investigated. We will discuss the matter once Ashwini's last rites are over," said her uncle Jugal Kishor Koshta. "She had so many dreams, she wanted to excel in life and make her parents proud. We cannot express our grief."
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/pune...-crash-5710067
NomadSK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 11:17   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

The father of the Pune Teen, owners of two restaurants and the server who served him the drink have been arrested, for how long nobody knows.

Quote:
The father of the Pune teen, whose Porsche knocked down and killed two techies on a two-wheeler, has been arrested from Maharashtra's Aurangabad. A case was registered against the father in whose name the sports car was registered.
Quote:
This comes a day after the teenager's father was booked under the relevant sections of the Motor Vehicles Act (MVA) and the Juvenile Justice Act (JJA) for ‘failing to do his duty as a guardian’. The action was taken after the police found out that the Porsche car he had bought for his son in March this year had not yet been registered as he had not paid the ₹44 lakh road tax on the car. Along with this, his minor son did not have a driving license.
If I’m not mistaken, this Taycan Turbo S was unregistered and still on its temporary number. It was just delivered in end of March !!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6vNg4jt...MyNnA1OXNkeW5w
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 11:22   #42
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

The location of this fatal accident is not too far from where i reside and i have travelled on this road umpteen times. I cannot comprehend someone driving on this stretch of road even at 80 kmph, forget 150. It is not at all a wide road and even narrower now due to the Metro work. However, all this is futile, as the spoilt brat kid (reverse of this word is what i would actually call him) was not in his senses apparently due to the influence of alcohol. And the Judge granting him Bail on a Holiday and the list of tasks given to him for the crime he committed is just mind-boggling. What was the Judge even thinking. Money and Power talks.

I can't imagine the pain and agony the parents and relatives of the deceased will be going through. And the helplessness they would be feeling of getting justice, if any, just because it was the son of a big shot who caused this.
Looks like this will be swept under the rug and\or the Driver will be made the scapegoat and the families rewarded handsomely to keep their mouth shut.

Brahma Corp Builders is a big name in Pune and i hope people start boycotting their projects and properties.
I really hope better sense prevails and they charge him with Murder and the harshest punishment possible.
abhi3284 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 11:29   #43
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

just a thought - (same opinion in the Nirbhaya case also)

If anyone can get a few drinks , get behind the wheel and drive that fast mentally he is not a juvenile and should be treated as such ( I agree that might not be the law per se and I aint no lawyer by a long shot) - two people died - who compensates their family for the loss (not talking monetary) people gone is directly families impacted no matter how small or how large the impact !

I do agree with what was said earlier by the esteemed lawyer - eventually this case will be"bought" to its closure for a few Cr's if not a few lakhs - Someone from the govt needs to pull this up to sustain it - with the father being a successful builder (successful if you can own a Porsche) he will have connects and that eliminates authorities doing their job - a public outcry is he next option but I don't see that happening !

We all feel bad for the lost lives , young people starting to find their feet ! sad - very sad - I know it sounds stupid but I guess we can only bank on Karma to settle this !

May the souls rest in peace and be blessed by god !

Srini
Srini76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 11:29   #44
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

My sympathies to the family of the dead, especially when the ones responsible are out in the open and are being allowed to interact with the victim's family.

This can happen to any of us and I am hoping this is resolved Jolly LLB style at the earliest.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st May 2024 at 12:36. Reason: Crowdfunding bit deleted
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 11:31   #45
BHPian

I shudder by just looking at the condition of bike.

Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead-fb_img_1716271004799.jpg

Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead-fb_img_1716271011561.jpg

Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead-fb_img_1716271017807.jpg
na_agrawal is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks