Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2024, 18:58   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

This is the classic playbook. It has happened many times before, even movies were made. Now its a well-known action play. When a rich kid does x, do 1, 2, 3. The case is done & dusted in a couple of years. I am not surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
and the next day the builder, or some burly folks associated with them shows up at your place, with an offer you cannot refuse?
Offer to do things their way, and get compensated, or face unforeseen consequences.
Burly folks turning up the next day is the problem in our society. Burly or pony - no one should even think of turning up the next day.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 19:03   #362
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivrajvp View Post
There's news that Defence lawyer has claimed a glitch in the car causing the car to go at high speeds! Is this even possible? Wouldn't there be any failsafe in such an expensive car? Can Porsche give in to this??
Porsche team has visited for inspection. Is it possible to bribe Porsche to accept the glitch claim??

This notion of car having glitch is a classic court scenario where defense lawyers would bring up anything random to delay the case. Bringing up unrelated evidence or statements has been done in almost all cases we see in courts since ages.

Judges too know that this is not going to yield any results apart from delaying the case but they too are tied to the law process and have to give permission to defendants to prove it, buying them some more time.

In my opinion, we will see one or two more random statements that would buy the defense more time to fight the case.

We as BHPians might not agree but it is the duty of defense lawyer to protect his client and get him the required time to fight case and he’s just doing his job.

There’s nothing wrong with car’s software or drivetrain, everyone knows it but court is obligated to check it even if it has 0.001% chance of occurring.
sarav100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 22:18   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhsd View Post
I would like to pose a question here. TBHPians who are familiar with ADAS and other advanced safety related features would be able to help here. Since we are speaking about a glitch here.

The Porsche Taycan is an Electric Sports Vehicle. It includes most, if not all safety features available today in the industry. Did this car not have AEB, Auto Emergency Braking?

1. If this car had AEB, then how did this crash become so deadly?
2. Can this feature be turned off? If so was it turned off? I would think that this should be an always 'ON' feature.
3. How does this feature work? Also does it detect only cars (or similar) and not other obstacles?
3. We have driver alert warnings in cars, how difficult is it to have cars that can detect alcohol? Or if the driver is drunk? I am sure a simple camera and video recognition module can successfully determine whether a driver is sober or not. Even a breathalyzer is not needed.
I posted earlier on this very same topic. At 150kmph a car with this much mass, will travel upto 200feet with 100% braking. AEB is a last ditch effort to mitigate impact of a collision. Imagine going at high speed in a hill section, the car does not know when you will turn, or where you will turn. Aggressive AEB feature braking after looking at anything that is right ahead of you will be a disaster. People will AEB crash their cars all the time, the feature warns first, and may take action right before the crash. But at this speed it would be too little too late.

The other things on your wishlist to detect alcohol are simply not present on the Taycan, and are not relevant here. But, a law abiding common man, would have issues providing his data about his drinking patterns to other private companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav100 View Post
This notion of car having glitch is a classic court scenario where defense lawyers would bring up anything random to delay the case. Bringing up unrelated evidence or statements has been done in almost all cases we see in courts since ages.
I saw another article on TOI where they are going to digitally recreate the accident using AI tools. I am at a loss of words. Simple things like blood samples from the accident site are not collected, or have been tampered with. Who knows what these guys will digitally recreate. I am just hoping against all odds that some justice will be served soon, before this teen dies of old age.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 30th May 2024 at 22:24.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 22:50   #364
BHPian

A humble request to all who own an ADAS enabled car and think that ADAS can prevent any accident:
Please read your car’s manual. It should specify the speed range within in which each ADAS feature operates.

Everything (living or non-living) has its operating limits.

Last edited by MyLife_MyCar : 30th May 2024 at 22:51. Reason: Minor correction
MyLife_MyCar is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 09:50   #365
BHPian

I think blaming rich and powerful is easy but core culprit is the hollow values being imparted to the young generation in most of the households.
Here in Pune I see people from all walks of life teaching there young boys and girls who’s legs don’t even reach the ground beneath, standing on Activa footboard and trying to balance handle while there parent, uncle aunt balancing the running scooter on main roads. It’s horrifying to see but is reality.

Law enforcement in terms of traffic discipline in this part of country is Zero. Not to mention the extreme level of corrupted system with politicos & government servants at the centre of it.

To help fellow citizens, follow laid out rules and regulations, being honest, gratitude and patience, are not talked about during family dinner time.

Last edited by FiatDiesel : 31st May 2024 at 10:01.
FiatDiesel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 10:54   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It includes most, if not all safety features available today in the industry. Did this car not have AEB, Auto Emergency Braking?
As most manufacturers say, “regardless of whatever safety features we build into a car, do not challenge the laws of physics”.
AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 11:42   #367
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I am not defending People's actions - It's just that in India, Doing the right thing has tremendous costs - Is it really worth going up against your local Politicians, police, and underworld to defend a random stranger?
You are right mate.
We don't even have "Witness protection" in India. It is there in the law but how strongly it is practised is anyone's guess. Especially in a case like this where the high and mighty are involved. Guess the protectors will give in to the offers and it will become dangerous for the witnesses to come in the light.
I am worried about that friend who has confessed that Vedant was drunk and was on the wheel.
Rohitthebest is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 12:26   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
For a brand like Porsche, ethics are far more important than a few mafia sales number. Being a part of the VW/SKODA group, they will never risk such a thing tarnishing their brand image.
My friend booked a Virtus last month and is waiting for the delivery in Pune. Now after the involvement of the Porsche team in this case, he kept his booking on hold till the official statement from Porsche is released.
He said he will not buy this car if there is any suspicious report from the maker favoring the culprit. Kudos to him...
satish.gawai is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 15:44   #369
BHPian

This entire incident is a demonstration of the line: everyone/everything is on sale at a price.
SchnelleKurven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 17:37   #370
BHPian

ADAS is not magic and cannot stop a car on a dime. It can only slow the car down as much as the disc brakes+ESP+ABS+tyres combo will allow it to (PHYSICS!).

ADAS does not ensure god's hand grabbing your car/ telekinesis/ reverse thrusters... i can go on.

This as automotive forum guys. Frankly the expectations people have from ADAS is embarrassing.

Please read up about friction brakes and how they work, and how they work in tandem with ADAS.

@Mods, can we please delete posts indulging in ADAS whataboutery?

End of rant.
ashivas89 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 18:00   #371
BHPian

Something for the uninitiated. From 1:00 Mark to 1:45 should be the most lucid explanation to the question raised by many in this forum.

With the differential speed as in this case. If the Taycan did indeed stop before reaching the bike in the the 250 metres that the Tesla takes. It should easily be part of this list of fastest decelerating cars. Unfortunately for us, this list is populated by Carbon braked, super lightweight supercars only.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...raking-tested/
rohitoasis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 18:10   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Pune Porsche accident | The system crash:

Quote:
The sequence of events is the substance of a Bollywood potboiler, but the numerous twists and turns in the case have turned it into a web series where each passing day reveals a new intriguing fact.
Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead-upfront_porsche_2.jpg

Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead-screenshot-20240531-175131.png

Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead-screenshot-20240531-180521.png

- The entire family of high-profile real estate developer Vishal Agarwal, the father of the 17-year-old teen. Doctors, police officials, politicians have also got embroiled in the controversy.

- Will Pune Porsche crash victims get justice?

Link:
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 02:21   #373
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to pose a question here. TBHPians who are familiar with ADAS and other advanced safety related features would be able to help here. Since we are speaking about a glitch here.

The Porsche Taycan is an Electric Sports Vehicle. It includes most, if not all safety features available today in the industry. Did this car not have AEB, Auto Emergency Braking?

1. If this car had AEB, then how did this crash become so deadly?
2. Can this feature be turned off? If so was it turned off? I would think that this should be an always 'ON' feature.
While other's are right in saying ADAS can't magically stop the massive Kinetic of a high speed crash, let me answer your specific question on how it works in the milliseconds before the crash
- it detects collision based on speed, acceleration and distance
- audio alert + vibration on the steering (in some cases)

Here the driver has 3 options
- if he continues to do what he's doing, the AEB will kick in
- if he starts breaking, manual breaking kicks in. AEB might add on, but it's largely human controlled now that the computer knows driver reacted.
- if he starts accelerating more, the AEB backs off. Assumes it's either a false alarm, or its dangerous to slow down.

All if these steps are in a fraction of a second. It might not be very intuitive to all in the first few auto braking instances.
sidoxic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 04:33   #374
Senior - BHPian

An ignorant question, perhaps. Up to what speed do ADAS, AEB and the various other nanny-state toys work? I've seen a bunch of tests of cars passing and failing these demonstrations. None of them, that I can recall, work beyond certain speeds.
Old 1st June 2024, 06:03   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish.gawai View Post
He said he will not buy this car if there is any suspicious report from the maker favoring the culprit. Kudos to him...

Pointless exercise serving no good use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
An ignorant question, perhaps. Up to what speed do ADAS, AEB and the various other nanny-state toys work? I've seen a bunch of tests of cars passing and failing these demonstrations. None of them, that I can recall, work beyond certain speeds.

Good question. These functions generally depend on the manufacturer, model and specific system configuration. However, here’s some typical speed ranges for some common ADAS and AEB functions -

1. Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB):

City Speed AEB: Generally operates at speeds up to 50 km/h (31 mph). It’s designed to prevent or mitigate collisions in urban environments where vehicles are typically moving at lower speeds.

Highway Speed AEB: Can function at speeds up to 200 km/h (124 mph), though the effectiveness and the ability to completely avoid a collision diminish at higher speeds. These systems aim to reduce the severity of crashes on highways.

2. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC):

• Typically functions from 0 km/h (0 mph) to the vehicle’s top speed, which can be over 200 km/h (124 mph). ACC can maintain a set speed and adjust based on the traffic ahead.

3. Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW):

• These systems usually operate at speeds above 60 km/h (37 mph), as they are intended to assist on highways and main roads. Some advanced systems can function at lower speeds as well.

4. Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) and Low-Speed Follow:

• Designed for congested traffic conditions, these systems typically operate at speeds below 60 km/h (37 mph), with some working as low as 0 km/h for stop-and-go traffic.

5. Blind Spot Detection (BSD) and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA):

• These systems are generally active at speeds above 10 km/h (6 mph) and can function at higher speeds, typically up to 140 km/h (87 mph), for BSD. RCTA usually operates at low speeds when reversing.

6. Parking Assistance Systems:

• Usually operate at very low speeds, typically below 10 km/h (6 mph), as they are designed to assist with parking maneuvers.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks