Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2024, 13:21   #301
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Yeah, same guy who apparently got promoted to HOD position from superintendent. Wondering how much of this would have come out if there was no enmity between that grandpa and a politician. Looks like a return favour for the MLA.

Last edited by ambandla : 28th May 2024 at 13:22.
ambandla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 13:26   #302
ike
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

It's been a few days since this case and I still do not know the name of this kid and his family. Media still says "prominent realtor".
Old 28th May 2024, 14:00   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
It's been a few days since this case and I still do not know the name of this kid and his family. Media still says "prominent realtor".
Vedant Agarwal is the kid. Vishal Agarwal is the father. Owns Brahma Reality.

Last edited by deovrat : 28th May 2024 at 14:22.
deovrat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 14:58   #304
BHPian

Just another example of power of money bulldozing over common citizens. In Uttar Pradesh this time around. Businessman thrashes Cab drives with a pistol in broad daylight
Sk8r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 15:02   #305
BHPian

I think it's high time the government stop allowing these luxury cars to be business write-offs. The depreciation from these cars shouldn't go towards a business expense. That loophole has long been in place and if any policy changes come from this, I hope that tax break is the first to go.

Ordinary people like us pay Income tax, GST and Road Tax and Toll tax to get the privilege of driving in India. These rich people shouldn't be allowed to get tax breaks for driving fancy cars.
pepega is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 15:22   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepega View Post
I think it's high time the government stop allowing these luxury cars to be business write-offs. The depreciation from these cars shouldn't go towards a business expense. That loophole has long been in place and if any policy changes come from this, I hope that tax break is the first to go.

Ordinary people like us pay Income tax, GST and Road Tax and Toll tax to get the privilege of driving in India. These rich people shouldn't be allowed to get tax breaks for driving fancy cars.
Oh, I absolutely agree with this. They're reverse Robinhood-ing us. Take the common folks' money and give it to the already rich. But, we digress from the matter being discussed in the thread, i.e., the grievous accident and the lives lost.
If I recall correctly, there was a Kerala businessman who let his 7/8 year old child behind the wheel of his Ferrari for a seemingly innocent joyride. The video of the incident went viral and he ended up behind bars. Parents need to be more mindful in handing over the keys to such powerful vehicles to their kids. Especially, when your child is a brat who thinks drinking is cool and reckless endangerment of life is cooler.

On a tangential note, we need to show more care and dignity to the human lives around us. The value of a life is not simply an economic metric.
Sensible_Speed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 15:32   #307
BHPian

My two cents about this whole incident. The sequence of events until now in this case has made a mockery of the system. It seriously reminds me of the movie Jolly LLB part1.
Arshad Warsi's character very aptly mentioned in that movie that if the case goes on any longer, the influential people will be able to change the version from car accident to truck accident.
As a teen I also always wanted to own a bike or a car, but i was unable to do so and its not that my folks couldn't afford it, they simply refused to entertain me. Infact, I was 21 and in my final year of graduation in Pune, by the time my parents gave in to my qualms and decided to buy me a scooter.
In this case, if the parents would have been a little stricter with the 17 yr old, probably the three families (the two victims' families and also the perpetuator's family) would not have been destroyed.
pduttaghy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 15:41   #308
BHPian

Members of this group need to go back in the time machine to 1999. Sanjeev Nanda, grandson of Admiral Nanda (of 1971 war fame) and son of a known arms dealer ran over 3 policemen manning a barrier. He killed the three policemen and a bystander.

In brief, despite being caught trying to hide evidence, with blood still on the BMW and a witness enroute to the Railway Station, Sanjeev Nanda got away with no more than 2 years in prison with the rest of the prison sentence commuted to community service.

The Delhi Police cops would / could not protect their own - why the heck will it change for the common citizen?

He was defended, if my memory serves me correct, by RK Anand who was caught in a sting operation offering bribe to the witness.

If you ever had a meal in Claridges, Delhi or Sea Rock, Land's End Banda - you contributed to the Nanda family coffers.

Today Sanjeev Nanda's bio proclaims that He is best known for mobilizing women empowerment in Banjini Village, Himachal Pradesh, to form a self-help group called Mahila Ekta Group. Check his website: https://sanjeevnanda.com/ventures/

Read more about the famous case here on wikipedia.

PS - the movie Jolly LLB was based off this case.

Last edited by Spaced Out : 28th May 2024 at 15:43. Reason: Added information
Spaced Out is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 16:59   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Why is the media not questioning the Police Commissioner on what action has been taken against the MLA Sunil Tingre? This guy went to the police station immediately after the accident and influenced the activities there. He supposedly also called the doctors at the hospital when the blood sample was being tested.
MLA/MLC have legislative privilege.Police would need to seek permission from Speaker of the Legislative assembly if they want to bring charges against MLA. If charges are flimsy, he may file Breach of privilege motion against officials. Police might be gathering solid evidence proving his involvement before moving to the speaker's chair for the permission to take him into custody for interrogation. Besides, this MLA belongs to the ruling party. So obviously Political pressure will be there. Police or CP (rightly so) is being extra cautious here. (One such instance happened in the past. Police filed FIR against one MLC in Thane without informing MLC chairman. MLC protested in the assembly and subsequently CP and DCP were suspended. CP is ADG rank IPS officer. He will not risk his career on such technical ground hence the precaution before bringing MLA into the picture.)
Flyingdutchman is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 17:05   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 458 View Post
I wonder what the public reaction and media reporting would have been had the same incident occurred with the same kid but with a Creta/common vehicle.

He probably would have gotten away with it.
Rich kid would have got the same attention if he'd done it driving flat out in an Alto. The Porsche is just icing on the cake. Thick icing, I admit, but the wealth/status would still have got the attention.

What if the driver had not been wealthy and well connected? The influence/corruption side of the story would not have been there, but otherwise, I hope that it wouldn't have been just another couple of deaths on India's roads?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 18:20   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is this a correct view? ...

In the legal aspects, there is a civil issue and a criminal issue. The speeding, alcohol, running down, causing death are criminal issues: compensation to victims/families are civil issues.

Two separate cases. Or does the criminal court deal with compensation to the victims as well?
I was looking more at the end state than the legalities. Be it civil or Criminal, the same parties would go head to head.

I believe there are sections in the Motor Vehicle act that provides compensation to the victims and there are tribunals for providing relief.
But good luck with that if a middle-class person is pitted against a rich/powerful individual away from the eye of the media.
careind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 19:19   #312
AZT
BHPian

Can someone comment on if any of the blood samples taken from the young driver were legit or all have been swapped. Assuming drunk driving can’t be proved, and if all witnesses in the car point to the old driver at the wheel, is this the end of the case ?

I’m surprised we haven’t seen CCTV footage from outside the bar which shows the guy entering the car and driving. Has that been scrubbed by the police. What about other cameras across the city at every intersection.
Old 28th May 2024, 19:31   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Good Satire, good to see everyone picking this topic, hopefully this will bring some change somewhere.

AtheK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 20:17   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I always say politicians reflect the collective conscience of a nation, perhaps our conscience is dead.
I strongly disagree with the use of the word "perhaps". What conscience, eh?

Privacy rights be damned, public shaming of the perpetrators is the only way justice has a chance in this case.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 28th May 2024 at 20:23.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 20:34   #315

Dear friends. As a neurosurgeon I see accident victims every day. Every person who comes into the ER is a victim ultimately. India has an average of one death every three minutes, or almost 20 deaths every hour.

We Indians just don't respect any rules and are indifferent to our fellow citizens lives and property. I frankly think that only rules that work in India will be something like what Dubai does - all automated. Dangerous driving in Dubai will result in a fine of upto 50,000 dirhams and confiscation of the vehicle for at least 30 days.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th May 2024 at 20:52. Reason: Minor formatting and typos fixed.
museek is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks