Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2024, 11:23   #271
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Certain members have used the incident to try to come to their conclusion by studying all the angles.

Truth, sadly, hides in the shadows.

Without sounding emotional, (as someone advised me to,) let me quote a Tamil proverb.

"Headache and poverty can be understood only by the one who suffers from it."

It distresses me no end that we can cast doubts on everything except the obvious truth because that may send an allegedly 17.5-year-old to prison.

To play the devil's advocate is easy, but to realize why is difficult.

The Faustian bargain is rarely a bargain!

Last edited by Raskolnikov.R : 27th May 2024 at 11:33.
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 11:41   #272
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Had to be! Had been thinking how it is that a kid drunk senseless enough to speed at 150 on a city road gets a clean chit. That much alcohol in the blood may not have been brought down in 8 hours. Probably the reason to feed pizza and burger. When alcohol may still be found, get to the doctor. Corruption runs deep in our veins, literally! And why so much alacrity from the authorities now to really follow the proper route that a trick is played one day and is uncovered the next? Possible that the political mileage is now being milked to the max due to the intervening politico's allegiance vs the ruling government. Most of the emerging facts from the errant 3 generations on accused side here show not only the use of corruption to twist the system, but also how that influence may have been acquired in the first place. In times of duress, one goes back to the reflexes developed over time and acts in a manner which has yielded favourable outcomes before. Regardless, this once I am hopeful of (some) justice.
Delta Wing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 11:53   #273
Senior - BHPian

I am just left pondering, how did we go from the times of Lal Bahadur Shastri who was ruthlessly honest and forthright to now where the less said about politicians the better, the republic isnt too much better either. I always say politicians reflect the collective conscience of a nation, perhaps our conscience is dead.

Rant over.
extreme_torque is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 12:22   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am just left pondering, how did we go from the times of Lal Bahadur Shastri who was ruthlessly honest and forthright.
Please don't forget the price Shastri had to pay for his ruthless honesty! Those of you who are not familiar with the facts/theories/opinions about his death, please Google and have a read.

Let's not veer off topic and get back to the case at hand.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 12:30   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
No end to corruption limits!

Pune Porsche crash: Forensics head arrested for tampering with evidence.

Link:
Wow. Haven't heard of verification ever being done on the blood test to check if it is the alleged criminal's. The forensic results are usually treated as gospel.

1) The police really is hell bent on getting the truth to see light of day.

2) Blood being switched before testing is probably a common enough occurrence in trials that the police thought of doing DNA testing on the blood samples.

3) The kid's entire family seems to be cartoonishly villanous. But of course, nothing out of the ordinary here; every button is pushed to subvert the course of justice in such matters.

One wonders whether if the family had better political connections, the police would be pursuing the truth this proactively or not. We only got to hear about a lowly MLA trying to meddle with the case, not even an MP.
pranavt is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 12:41   #276
BHPian

Oh the manipulation just doesn’t stop. First the policemen, then the juvenile court judge who gave bail after writing an essay, then the intimidation of the driver, reckless tampering of police by not taking blood test and feeding him pizza and burger to thin out alcohol levels, the corrupt doctors of govt hospital, tampering with blood samples. Where does this end? Every one can be bought. Do people work for self respect or only for money?!
RunGaDa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 12:54   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunGaDa View Post
Every one can be bought. Do people work for self respect or only for money?!
Unfortunately those who refuse to take the money will then face pressure and threats to fall in line. The family of the criminal in this case has money, political power and even ties to the underworld. So even good natured individuals are often forced to act as they are commanded unless there is another power backing them.

This is why it's very important that we keep this issue in public spotlight as long as possible. It's pretty much the only way the victims will get justice against such people.
Noctis is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 13:00   #278
BHPian

The overall progress of this case so far highlights something that is quiet well known already. We have all the law in place and capability by the police force to do their job well. Just that they don't care to do it (or) deliberately screw it up for money. There is no fear for the law as long as you have wad of Gandhi(s) to "share" freely and/or connected. I believe this is the reason why people retort to Kangaroo justice when an accident happens, sadly. And as long as the public keeps turning their head the other way round this vicious cycle will continue.

Like many have pointed out, the election results will be out next week, and the media will refocus their attention there. Then they will start chasing some celebrity for some spicy news and this case will eventually fizzle out in the background, leaving the parents of those 2 young victims, high and dry! Not the first time and definitely not the last time either!

Last edited by SR-71 : 27th May 2024 at 13:08.
SR-71 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 15:38   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
1) The police really is hell bent on getting the truth to see light of day.
That's an incomplete statement.

The police really is hell bent on getting the truth to see light of day, due to severe public pressure. Fixed it.

Some people are perplexed at the chance of the doctors in this case accepting bribes. Why? Aren't they humans? Literally everyone connected to this case seem to have accepted bribes in the 24 hours that transpired after the accident.

The brat and his family are unlucky, since it is election season primarily and the public furor has been immense.
TROOPER is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 16:42   #280
Senior - BHPian

Totally off topic here but somehow this reminds me of umpteen number of cases when a juvenile of an affluent family crashes the car, the driver takes the blame and the matter is swept under the carpet. I remember something similar happening in mumbai with an Aston Martin rapide (though it did not kill anyone as far as I know) which did crash into several cars and every car that was impacted was duly replaced by a better model just to say it was the driver behind the wheel and not the juvenile.
Unfortunately this has been happening from ages in our country and will continue happening.

We all can speculate all we want but I feel we should not be involved in the media trial.

Although I am deeply saddened by the loss but I do not believe for once - that this will be the last incidence that will happen on our roads where a rich juvenile kid kills someone under influence and the entire system would be positioned to protect him.

That I believe is the sad truth we have to learn to live with.

Last edited by samyakmodi : 27th May 2024 at 16:43.
samyakmodi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 18:06   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunGaDa View Post
Every one can be bought. Do people work for self respect or only for money?!
Post Narco's (The Series), the phrase Plata O Plomo, Silver or Lead, became very popular.

We in India have been living through a slightly more refined version of this for a long time. A doctor not long ago, Kafeel Khan, stood up to the authoritites, He was tortured, put in jail on trumped up charges and finally acquited.

In India, the process is the punishment. Assuming this doctor had stood up for what is right, he along with his family would have been made to go through hell. Who in their right minds would want to take that?

I'm an eyewitness to this case.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/67411584.cms

I was the person who told the police it's a Merc that caused it, as It was me he overtook, before crashing into the kids. This case is still running, the last hearing was in Sep last year where I had to go as a witness. The whole system bends over backwards if the accused is rich and powerful. The guy who was driving the merc is out on bail for the last few years, and money has been paid to a lot of people including the parents, who are poor. He is probably going out on some small charge and case will be closed.

Given that this is normalized, why would anyone stick their neck out be tortured by the powers? Has anyone here known a single MP/MLA/Corporator who is approachable or would not flex his powers for his financial backers?

When the system is out to punish anyone who does their job, and reward those who are pliable, I would not expect the powerless doctor to standup against the might of ML/Police/Courts and the Juvenile Board.
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 19:45   #282
BHPian

There are two different pragmatic perspectives that would work to assuage the morality of the public, but not necessarily for the victims and vice versa.

On the one hand,
1) Send the fellow to prison for a time
2) He happily spends more than half of the time in hospitals and 5 star hotels ( ref. Manu sharma from Jessica lal murder. More heinous than this one )
3) The victim's family would get some court ordained payout ( since there would be no insurance )
4) The rich/powerful man would always see the victims' family as the villains and may "avenge" his son's imprisonment that would be completely outside the eye of the media - Example is Ruchika suicide case, and all the guy got was a 6 months imprisonment .
5) The "public"'s righteous indignity is assuaged.

Everybody is left fuming with less cash payouts and the victims' family must drag on. Public would have jumped to the next opportunity to outcry

On the other hand
1) Police, doctors, forensics, judges, lawyers everybody gets a payout.
2) The victims' family would get a bigger than normal payout for not pursuing the case and would not get into the bad side of the rich man.
3) Public righteously cries out about the judiciary in social media, for some time.
4) Extend the case and bide for the time till it falls out of public visibility
5) It is back to business after some days.

Sadly, the latter formula rewards the smaller population that is directly involved and benefits the stake holders much better.
And that is the reason it would work every time till end of time, especially in a rich/powerful-poor/middle class legal conflict and in a country like India.

Am I condoning it? Absolutely not!

But life has to go on in the aftermath, and it goes on. This too will pass.

Assuaging the public outrage - that doesn't have any repercussions and it would wane with the next big headlines, unless public comes out on the street like the nirbhaya case, which we know may happen once in decades.

What did the constable in Salman Khan's case get because of his honesty?
The police department itself rejected him and he died on a platform as a homeless beggar.
Hope his soul gets deliverance.

He would have been better off getting the payout.
He would at least be alive and in service, and his mother would not have been left in the lurch.

There are so many other cases where non-pursuance would have had a better outcome for the victims.
The convicted happily get bail or just jump parole and get into normal life once the media storm dies.
Like the John David fellow who was silently working in sutherland or that mohanty fellow who was working in Kerala branch of SBI!

Anyways, how many of us are even following what happened to the Tathya patel case before this case materialized?
We dont even know the plight of the victims' family.

This too will pass.
careind is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 20:31   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by careind View Post
What did the constable in Salman Khan's case get because of his honesty?
The police department itself rejected him and he died on a platform as a homeless beggar.
Hope his soul gets deliverance.

He would have been better off getting the payout.
He would at least be alive and in service, and his mother would not have been left in the lurch.

There are so many other cases where non-pursuance would have had a better outcome for the victims.
The convicted happily get bail or just jump parole and get into normal life once the media storm dies.
Like the John David fellow who was silently working in sutherland or that mohanty fellow who was working in Kerala branch of SBI!

Anyways, how many of us are even following what happened to the Tathya patel case before this case materialized?
We dont even know the plight of the victims' family.

This too will pass.
While reading your post, my mind was initially confused if you were being cynical or a realist. Then it dawned on me, that they are one and the same thing in India. Sad state of affairs in our beloved country.

The only thing that gives us hope is the youth of this country. Hopefully not all of them are like this 17 year old.
Lalvaz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 20:55   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this a correct view? ...

In the legal aspects, there is a civil issue and a criminal issue. The speeding, alcohol, running down, causing death are criminal issues: compensation to victims/families are civil issues.

Two separate cases. Or does the criminal court deal with compensation to the victims as well?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 23:10   #285

I was recently visited by my friend you moved to London post our graduation, it’s been 5 yrs he is being living there.

While having conversation, I asked him
Bro whats the most basic thing that you feel India lacks, apart from infra, tech yada yada..

He just replied with “Dignity for Life, India at very basic levels lacks dignity for life

And as things unfold in this thread, he’s certainly right!
Santy19 is offline   (28) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks