Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2024, 22:12   #241
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
ADAS has its limitations in a crowded street at speeds over 120km/h
Yes, rightly so. ADAS as in Advanced Driver Assistance System covers a lot of sub features. Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot detection, Lane keep assist, Traffic Sign Recognition, and Automatic Emergency Braking. Most of these features work in assistive mode, where they warn the driver audibly, and visibly to take action, before they take over. Like Lane Keep Assist, would only warn by default, but for it to steer, the system needs to be engaged. My friends new Porsche Panamera hit the garage wall, while parking, even with AEB, and all the parking assist features. It will not override stupidity. It's not un-crashable, capable(sarcasm) people, like this teen can certainly crash it.

Even if AEB were to engage 100% and cut off throttle, a heavy car like the Taycan at 150kmph would have a stopping distance of 200ft.

Somehow I feel some people here think that spending 2cr will get them a stupid-proof car. In my opinion, there is no such thing as being stupid-proof.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th May 2024 at 09:18. Reason: Minor error
GutsyGibbon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 22:12   #242
Senior - BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Apologies for causing any confusion. What I saw was a Pulsar with the rear wheel bent towards the right meaning it might have been hit from the left side of the Porsche. And a Swift whose rear right bumper is damaged, meaning it has been hit from the Porsche's front left (the part that shows the large damage).

Just wanted to understand the efficacy of the ADAS system and how much it might work in an emergency situation like this to save a life.
No ADAS system in the world is going to help you if you are going 150 kmph in a crowded city road. It's not some magic system that breaks the laws of inertia and glues to the car to the road if you go around a bend and there are people there.
Cresterk is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 00:14   #243
Senior - BHPian

This case has been boiling my blood since the start. I know Money talks like anything in our country but kudos to Netizens and everyone making an effort to derail the Money guys.
Latest report I picked From Redditt -
Attached Thumbnails
Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead-img_2386.png  

harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 02:30   #244
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Now, how many people on T-Bhp itself can say that they did not use a agent/broker to get their licenses or renewal and went through the actual process?
I sure can. Never paid any agent, not for getting my license when I was legally eligible for its renewal 20yrs later

30 bucks for temp license & 100 bucks for permanent license, back in 2002!
RJK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 03:11   #245
AZT
BHPian

I read in one of the earlier posts that they’ve also arrested the waiter serving the drink. I know we wall want the bar owners to be prosecuted but the waiter is probably a middle or lower middle class chap and has nothing to do with this. Is the waiter being prosecuted ?

ID check should happen at the entrance, what are the servers supposed to do.
AZT is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 09:01   #246
BHPian

The FIR and the Case may result in some monetary fine and jail term to the offenders. However, the families of the victims do not get any monetary compensation out of it.
Someone should advise them to file a civil case against the offenders claiming huge amount of money. This would eventually be negotiated.
Lawyers would be too happy to take up the case as they get huge fees besides a cut in the compensation.
Probably there is a time limit to file such case.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 09:51   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Nowadays most top end cars come with ADAS, that has auto emergency braking. Doesn't the accident causing 2CR car come with it?
No matter how advanced systems are there, at that speed (150-200kph)it gets disabled
Old 25th May 2024, 10:43   #248

To add to the points mentioned above, It is the entire system that has failed... Why are traffic cops not testing drunk & driven cases closer to pubs & bars?This is a big deterrent from drinking & then driving

Here are some things that can be implemented to prevent such incidents

1. Government and traffic cops conduct checks till early morning closer to pubs / bar.. They should have the guts to do this..

2. Incentivise cab services running in the night shift

3. Metros & other public transport should run till late night/ early morning

4. Pubs/Bars can tie up with service companies that can provide driver or cab.... These pubs/bars needs to be Incentivised

5. Our actors who specifically make panmasala ads needs to do public awareness videos about safe driving
pioneer_rags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 11:30   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

The teen’s Grandfather has been arrested for wrongful confinement of their family driver.

Quote:
Based on a complaint by the juvenile's family driver, the Yerawada Police registered a separate offence against the teen’s grandfather and father under IPC sections 365 (kidnapping with intent to secretly and wrongfully confine a person) and 368 (wrongfully concealing or keeping a person in confinement), he said.
“Post the accident, the teen’s grandfather and father allegedly took the driver’s phone, put him in confinement in his house on the premises of their bungalow from May 19 to May 20. The driver was freed by his wife,” PTI quoted the official from the crime branch as saying.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...611769633.html
CEF_Beasts is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 11:46   #250
BHPian

https://m.sakshipost.com/amp/news/po...-driver-301169

Now the grandfather is also involved for threatening the driver.

Looks like case is going in good direction atleast at present
sudanmohit is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 12:02   #251
BHPian

I drove from Rajgurunagar to Belgaum on 22nd May, crossing the entire city of Pune. After some distance from Katraj Tunnel and the toll, the traffic police had stopped me and checked all the documents, including my DL by swiping it in a machine. The officer also advised me to keep the speed below 90 kmph (to which I told him that I was driving at 85 kmph only). That seemed to be a routine advice started after the Porsche accident.

Still I saw an i10 that went past me in a very dangerous manner in a high speed. It was being driven by a brat perhaps as I saw him. The car was fully loaded with people too. I don't know how they escaped this police. "Dada" was written in saffron on the rear windshield.

In fact, till Belgaum, cars in general remained wild with their pace and the ways of their driving. Especially when roads are under massive expansion project and risky. Nobody had any patience and everyone appeared to be running frantically for something.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th May 2024 at 13:05.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 12:09   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudanmohit View Post
https://m.sakshipost.com/amp/news/po...-driver-301169

Now the grandfather is also involved for threatening the driver.

Looks like case is going in good direction atleast at present
Yes I read that, and while this does look like the investigation is finally moving in the right direction, the cynic lawyer in me says that this is just another opportunity for the Police officials to make money on the side.

Two Officers earlier associated with this investigation were suspended, because they did not inform the control room about the incident, and while accident happened at 3:00 AM, the blood test of accused was conducted only at 11:00 PM (as per reports) and not immediately.

This tells me that the events to establish the accused teen as not guilty have been set in motion then and there. What we see now is merely an eyewash to placate the general public and wait out till elections are over.

Also notably, the court has granted Judicial custody to victim's father and other employees of the bar after 4-5 days of remand, which means that the judge thinks that the police either have no new material against them to warrant further remand, or that police do not need custody any further based on material on record.

Notably, a person cannot apply for bail while he is in Police Custody (Typically can be extended to maximum of 14 days), but once you get judicial custody, you can apply for bail.

I do hope I am completely wrong and for once the law and order machinery, under pressure from sustained social media pressure do their jobs. One can always hope right!
Ays7 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 12:26   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anikesh11 View Post
I know this will be slightly controversial but why don't we still not have any speed limiter on cars sold in India...... while handling 1 ton heavy metal box
I completely disagree with these ban mentality "solutions". Why should the entire population suffer just because our governance systems are simply incapable of prosecuting and punishing the guilty few?

We have seen the same with tinted windows ban and now millions of people suffer in the blazing sunlight every day. Instead of depriving or making countless people suffer, better to make efforts to get those few culprits punished.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th May 2024 at 13:06.
YK85 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 12:31   #254
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ays7 View Post
This tells me that the events to establish the accused teen as not guilty have been set in motion then and there. What we see now is merely an eyewash to placate the general public and wait out till elections are over.
You have just hit the nail on the head ! This drama will continue until the election results are declared and as we know or rather anticipate , if the current ruling party wins , the entire nation will go into a 'celebration' mode giving little to no importance for such issues. And that is exactly the opportunity the accused are waiting for.

Quote:
I do hope I am completely wrong and for once the law and order machinery, under pressure from sustained social media pressure do their jobs. One can always hope right!
True.

P. S.: Mods - Kindly delete this post if it violates the Forum guidelines.
ashvek3141 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2024, 12:36   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Apologies for causing any confusion. What I saw was a Pulsar with the rear wheel bent towards the right meaning it might have been hit from the left side by the Porsche. And a Swift whose rear right bumper is damaged, meaning it has been hit from the Porsche's front left (the part that shows the large damage).

The Porsche didn't hit the swift directly, the bike and one of the victims was flung into its rear.
psyph3r is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks