Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2024, 15:47   #226
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
The problem is in the mindset and giving a teenager a superpowered car which resulted in the murder of two people. The criminals (yes, criminals) should be tried properly but incidents like these should be studied for an institutional change.
The point is which one is easier to tackle, mindset of people or fixes in car which can potentially help reduce mishaps caused by people. Cars have more tech in them today than ever before and it will only get better. I think smart speed and acceleration limits baked into cars are necessary. Also no car needs to go above 130 when speed limit in country is 120 at highest end. Its not just an India problem , plenty of people die in car paradise that is usa beacuse strong lobbying of car mafia has made roads even in cities unsafe for normal people

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th May 2024 at 08:07. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Anikesh11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 15:54   #227
Senior - BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Nowadays most top end cars come with ADAS, that has auto emergency braking. Doesn't the accident causing 2CR car come with it?
Photo of a Porsche Taycan crashing at 64kmph into a deformable barrier. Source: EuroNCAP
Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead-screenshot-20240523-10.50.498239am.png

Photo of a Porsche Taycan crashing at 160kmph (as per the Panchnama)
Source: This thread
Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead-fb_img_1716271004799.jpg

It is open to interpretation but the damage on the latter is less than that on the former.
Old 24th May 2024, 16:10   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Photo of a Porsche Taycan crashing at 64kmph into a deformable barrier. Source: EuroNCAP
Attachment 2609031

Attachment 2609033

It is open to interpretation but the damage on the latter is less than that on the former.
A real world crash is hardly a replication of one done at crash test facilities. There are many factors which are 'controlled' in the crash test like speed, offset and one being the crash barrier weight. In crash test facilities, the barriers in which cars are crashed as almost of the same weight as the car itself. So that answers your question why these two crash pictures don't match. A motorcycle was probably less than 200 kgs (looks like a regular pulsar?) The car weighed more than 2000 kgs.

Last edited by saket77 : 24th May 2024 at 16:11.
saket77 is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 16:14   #229
BHPian

Shankar Nag's 1984 movie 'Accident' was so right about how rich kids will try to get away from these drunk driving accidents !

With witnesses turning hostile, unless there is some video proof that the police already have, it looks like the case will go on really long.
PreludeSH is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 16:38   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Shankar Nag's 1984 movie 'Accident' was so right about how rich kids will try to get away from these drunk driving accidents !

With witnesses turning hostile, unless there is some video proof that the police already have, it looks like the case will go on really long.
Coincidentally, what is happening is straight out of a similar fictional work in Spanish anthology film 'Relatos Salvajes' chapter 'La Propuesta'

Looks like, not just in India, some rich dads everywhere are same.

What worries me is that even with video proofs, deep fakes (like the ones we are seeing in this election season) may/can alter truth. With money, everything is possible.

It is reported/speculated in reddit that already narrative changing posts starts appearing in media and social media sphere.
krrisdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 17:44   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nowadays most top end cars come with ADAS, that has auto emergency braking. Doesn't the accident causing 2CR car come with it?
ADAS has its limitations in a crowded street at speeds over 120km/h
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 18:37   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Photo of a Porsche Taycan crashing at 64kmph into a deformable barrier.

Hi antz.bin,

Nice to see you again here

For the sake of discussion, lets say the Panchnama is wrong, it hit the bikers at 58kmph, but still unfortunately a drunk underaged driver drove a unregistered car (chalo, an Old Indica) and killed 2 (without helmet) - what changes? I am just curious.
svsantosh is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 18:47   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Hi antz.bin,

Nice to see you again here

For the sake of discussion, lets say the Panchnama is wrong, it hit the bikers at 58kmph, but still unfortunately a drunk underaged driver drove a unregistered car (chalo, an Old Indica) and killed 2 (without helmet) - what changes? I am just curious.
There was a movie I watched a few days ago, "A Time to Kill". The jury is prejudiced against a black man who in a fit of rage killed his minor daughter's rapists. Almost certain to face death. His White Lawyer then explains the entire episode of the rape to the White Jury and at the end says, "Now imagine the girl is White".

So, all we need to do is, Imagine if one of those dead were our kids. Isn't it?

The way I am brought up, to respect the law, I am sure my father would have asked me to surrender if I was the perpetrator of the crime, or I would have asked my son to surrender if my son had perpetrated the crime. Not run away from law. My father has sent back bribe money which walked into his hands and rode a scooter which was bought on loan while his peers had cars. Just like in those movies showing a sincere Govt. officer undergoing tough times. We as a family have faced it. So I know.

Last edited by theabstractmind : 24th May 2024 at 18:49.
theabstractmind is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 19:01   #234
BHPian

@antz.bin this shouldn't be very difficult to prove.
All you need is the ECU/ECM or whatever EV equivalent "car computer" and read the values off it. Pretty sure almost all manufacturers put in telemetry devices and Porsche should be willing to give the data if ordered to by the competent authority.

I applaud your spirit of playing the devil's advocate here. It helps bring out the detectives in the rest of us.

However, I'm confused as to your motivations for performing this altruistic activity. If you could elaborate on it, I would be much obliged.

Last edited by alphamike_1612 : 24th May 2024 at 19:08.
alphamike_1612 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 19:57   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2609031

Attachment 2609033

Hi @antz.bin,

Forgive me for sounding vexed, but you must be living in a parallel universe where the laws of physics are different.

First you suggested humans have the potential to survive being hit by a 2.5ton vehicle going 150kmph by simply wearing a helmet.

Now you are alluding to a hypothesis that the damage pattern on a car hitting a motorcycle (movable, deformable object) at 150kmph will look exactly similar to the damage on a car crash-tested in a lab with a immovable, deformable barrier?

Is this based on your observation that every real world crashed vehicle you have seen has damage that exactly matches the crash tested vehicles?

Its good to express doubt but using such outrageous examples to further belief in them points to reasons that are beyond simple doubt.
arijitkanrar is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 20:38   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

As far as I know, this is not an option on Porsche cars they sell in India or not on the Taycan that was being sold until recently. You may be surprised, but unlike elsewhere, many of their cars, including the 911, don't have wireless CarPlay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
it hit the bikers at 58kmph, but still unfortunately a drunk underaged driver drove a unregistered car .
I have personally seen a lady dying from a Brain Hemorrhage while pedalling a Luna to start, and the central stand slipped

Depending on the impact, even 20-40 km can fling the biker into the air.

Regarding registration, this seems to be highlighted incorrectly; it looks like clickbait or masala news. Per prevailing laws, cars are released to the customer only after Permanent or Temporary registration. These days, temporary registration is valid for six months. I don't know how old this car is, but even if it's over six months old, one can pay the fine (usually per day calculation) and get registration done.

It's common to delay registration while waiting for a choice number, which might be the case here. However, in Maharashtra, one can pay a bit, jump series (2-4, I think), and choose. I doubt there can be mala fide intentions otherwise, given that RTO is nil for EVs.

Quote:

As others have pointed out, this damage looks severe if the car had only hit the bike. At low speeds, the bumpers alone would have absorbed the impact. These things have a strong build, so the speeds have to be high (or very high).

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th May 2024 at 22:23. Reason: Minor edit.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 20:41   #237
Senior - BHPian

Moderators, I think this thread needs to be locked. Whatever needed to be discussed has been discussed, there is only rampant speculation and heaping insult on the victims going on now. Request you to please stop this, in the interest of maintaining the decorum of this forum.

Quote:
Attachment 2609031

Attachment 2609033

There's a huge difference in hitting a deformable barrier that is attached to a fixed wall. And hitting a moving motorcycle. I see how you're trying to prove with these 2 images, that the actual speed of the Porsche was nowhere close to 160 and probably not above 65kmph, Thank God the CCTV footage of the speeding car is also there to clearly show otherwise.

Are you in any way connected with this incident? If yes, there is a very clear conflict of interest.

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th May 2024 at 18:26. Reason: Updating post as per RP.
Lalvaz is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 20:50   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Now I am not promoting high speed driving by saying that. Rather, I feel there is a need to change the mindset of people driving the said cars. In a country where you can obtain a Driver's License without even stepping a foot in the RTO, the issues lies in the roots and more haphazard and reactionary regulation is not the answer.
I completely agree with this point. I learnt to drive after I moved to France, and to get a driver's license here (and more generally in Europe) is extremely difficult and expensive. The exams are utterly focused on safe driving for both the driver and the other road users, and you fail the exam if the examiner is not convinced that you won't be killer on 4 wheels once let loose by yourself with a driver's license. People generally spend tons of money and give the exam many times before they obtain the holy grail, i.e., a driver's license !

This doesn't mean that there are not some crazy loonies over here, but they more often than not loose their license and never get the opportunity to get it back again.

Obviously, this won't prevent drunk driving and its aftermath like in this hideous incident, but it will make the roads a lot safer if driving licenses in India are issued in a transparent, non corrupt manner, after having vetted the candidate's driving credentials and propensity to drive safely.
schumi_pete is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 21:35   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Moderators, I think this thread needs to be locked. Whatever needed to be discussed has been discussed, there is only rampant speculation and heaping insult on the victims going on now. Request you to please stop this, in the interest of maintaining the decorum of this forum.
Erm, I feel this thread should be kept open until something conclusive comes out, either conviction or news of the kid being wrongly acquitted. Conversations will die down with time as the media moves on to other things, but there should be someplace to check and discuss what finally comes of this.

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th May 2024 at 22:15. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
sh3lby is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 21:43   #240
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for causing any confusion. What I saw was a Pulsar with the rear wheel bent towards the right meaning it might have been hit from the left side by the Porsche. And a Swift whose rear right bumper is damaged, meaning it has been hit from the Porsche's front left (the part that shows the large damage).

Just wanted to understand the efficacy of the ADAS system and how much it might work in an emergency situation like this to save a life.

There is a lot of bad blood against me on this thread so everything I write will probably be taken as an offense. So this is my last post on this thread.

Regarding my motivations on performing this activity, I just want to look at this incident from all angles, just for my information and not just use this thread to discuss the corrupt cops or incompetent judiciary.

Over and out.

Last edited by antz.bin : 24th May 2024 at 22:09.
antz.bin is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks