Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2024, 08:49   #211
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Don't know if others read about a similar accident a few days back in Jalgaon.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../110377408.cms
Old 24th May 2024, 08:54   #212
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

And so it begins. Scumbags have started shifitng the blame.
It begs the question, if the driver even was driving (which I highly doubt), why would he be speeding so recklessly down a narrow public road, in his employer's car, with 3 teens with him?

Shame on the teen, his friends and the entire family, including his grandfather with mafia connections.
People saying the parents should be left out of this - they raised a human who is not guilty of murdering 2 people and lies when charges are brought against him. It's one thing to go wild in yout teens and go drinking (which already warrants refutement), and another to not realize the severity of what you've done and continue to be extremely unethical by shirking respsonibilty.
The friends he had in his car, spewing lies about the driver driving, also shows the flawed nature of their character.

Some will say I am blindsided and have no proof yet against Vedant Agarwal. But every sign (CCTV footage of him drinking, speeding, eyewitness claims of him driving, who may very well be bought out soon), every fibre of my being believes it was him behind the wheel on that fateful day.

I've said this myltiple times before, as someone who is about the age of the accused, I know all too well the type of teen he and his friends are, having interacted with people like him, and hope they get the strictest penalty possible to set an example at the very least, and bring an ounce of solace to the families of the dead.
Almost every club, pub etc in Gurgaon will serve alchol to a minor if you look even half like an adult (which, by 17, you do), and will not ID you. I hope an example is set for the brats who abuse this and go on to drink, drive, and also the establishments themselves to be stricter.

I of course, may be completely wrong and irrationally frustrated in my assessment, but give it 2 more weeks and this incident will naturally dissappear from public discussion and will be swept under the rug.

Last edited by sh3lby : 24th May 2024 at 09:05.
sh3lby is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 09:03   #213
Senior - BHPian

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...481829542.html

Quote:
New twist in Porsche crash: Pune teen, father claim family driver was behind the wheel
Wow Where did the driver come from? Did he teleport to the location?
Captain Slow is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 10:05   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...481829542.html
Wow Where did the driver come from? Did he teleport to the location?
I like your username, Mr. James May
Although initial reports did say that their driver had gone along with him but the teen forced him to hand over the keys. So it's not like he was randomly brout into the picture. Although him actually driving at the time of the incident seems unlikely to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer1077 View Post
I will not be surprised if the judge lets them off with a paltry punishment, especially after seeing the 300 page essay as a condition for bail.
300 word essay, not even 300 pages.
Many replies on TBHP itself are over 300 words
sh3lby is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 10:34   #215
Team-BHP Support

Simple - perform a DNA test on the airbag! I hope witnesses will state the truth
ajmat is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 10:35   #216
Senior - BHPian

Nowadays most top end cars come with ADAS, that has auto emergency braking. Doesn't the accident causing 2CR car come with it?
ani_meher is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 11:22   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

I was talking with the Times of India (TOI) correspondent last evening, pointing out to him the growing importance of e-survelliance of the traffic on a 24x7 basis over manual policing, as recruitments to new posts are not at all commensurate with the increasing population and infrastructure.

The menace of drunken driving was discussed with TOI with my intervention petition in PIL #05/2016 before the Bombay High Court in 2017, focusing on drunken driving. The then Bench was extremely reciprocal and had issued directions to the State Government Counsel and the Asst Solicitor General, representing the Transport Ministry (MoRTH). Upon my inspection of 11,000 challans at the Nagpur City and Rural traffic branches of the City Police, only 11 cases of second offences against drunken driving were found to be registered. Hence, I had informed the Court that there is no mechanism available with the police in most parts of India to track repeat offenders, for whom the offence is supposed to become non bailable with a jail term and powers to the police and RTO to suspend or cancel their driving licences. Manual register entries of the offences and frequent transfers of the traffic officials to other postings, play havoc in tracking repeat offenders. The petition was regularly heard till 2019 and when a new Bench took over, the matter was put in the back-burner for unknown reasons.

Today's TOI newslink discussing the drunken driving petition's fate:-

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../110375807.cms

As regards the Porsche accident, the car was doing 160 kmph through Pune's main thoroughfares post 2.00 am. There are traffic police monitored CCTV cameras at all vantage points that are supposed to be manned on a 24x7 basis. We have not heard about any action by the Court or the police on the personnel manning the CCTV control room. Neither heard about the agencies who had installed the CCTV cameras or whether there was a valid AMC in effect by the traffic police/PMC with them for maintenance and upkeep?

If effective monitoring had been done, a quick response team on an intercepting vehicle could have checked the speeding car, using barricades.

It's a joke that we sight police vehicles with the painted word "INTERCEPTOR " in VVIP cavalcades.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th May 2024 at 11:25.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 11:38   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh3lby View Post
Shame on the teen, his friends and the entire family, including his grandfather with mafia connections.
People saying the parents should be left out of this - they raised a human who is not guilty of murdering 2 people and lies when charges are brought against him. It's one thing to go wild in yout teens and go drinking (which already warrants refutement), and another to not realize the severity of what you've done and continue to be extremely unethical by shirking respsonibilty.
The friends he had in his car, spewing lies about the driver driving, also shows the flawed nature of their character.
Let me be the devil here and remind you that for an average human being, his immediate relation is more important than the entire world. And for a parent nothing more precious than his own child.

The event has happened and cannot be reversed. For a parent at this stage, all that matters is how to salvage the situation for the kid. Once branded as criminal everything will change for the kid (for worse, even though coming from a super-rich family).

All in all, I am not justifying their callous behaviors (that must have been happening since birth) culminating into this situation, but an action contrary to what is happening would appear high suspicious to me. (e.g.: https://x.com/H_D_Devegowda/status/1...4-05-23-933006)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
As regards the Porsche accident, the car was doing 160 kmph through Pune's main thoroughfares post 2.00 am. There are traffic police monitored CCTV cameras at all vantage points that are supposed to be manned on a 24x7 basis.
Speed cameras in Pune were installed long back but were never functional. I remember being marginally fast on Nagar road and seeing flashes (must be ~10 years back), but never received a challan.

Regarding regular CCTV monitoring - I am highly skeptical that someone seeing a camera output, captured at night-time illumination (which causes long exposure), can make out the speed of the vehicle. [Long exposure time starts coinciding with the frame rate and thus the moving objects are not captured with any sharpness]

Last edited by alpha1 : 24th May 2024 at 11:49.
alpha1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 11:44   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Simple - perform a DNA test on the airbag! I hope witnesses will state the truth
Pretty sure Pune police are on the way to burn the car to the ground after reading your comment.

Say even if the driver yells from the top of the tallest building in Pune that he was driving, what kind of punishment can one expect for him? Any chance that it could be so severe that he reverses and puts back the blame on the brat?
TROOPER is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 12:00   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, the driver was pushing the Porsche at 200 kmph and the kids were shit scared tucked in the seats. The rich man got such an idiot driver for his son! I wish it were true and he had rammed the car into a wall instead of others.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 12:45   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumi_pete View Post
One of the big downsides of electric vehicles in crowded cities in my view.
For the no sound part, well I was on my motorcycle at around 40-45kmph when a ola s scooter zoomed past almost touching me at around 80kmph(approximately). I have a habit of keeping a tab on my rear view mirror still I missed this squid. I absolutely agree with your views.
DBS65 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 14:42   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Nowadays most top end cars come with ADAS, that has auto emergency braking. Doesn't the accident causing 2CR car come with it?
Here’s a fun fact. None of the VW Group cars in India come with any form of ADAS even as an option. Be it a VW, Skoda, Audi, Porsche, Bentley or Lamborghini. The Audi dealer told me that this is because the radar frequency the brand uses isn’t approved for civilian use in India.
Kevinrevvz is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 15:08   #223
BHPian

I know this will be slightly controversial but why don't we still not have any speed limiter on cars sold in India. I belive car in this case drove upto 150 kmph on a city road, we don't even have any roads in India that are rated for anything more than 120. Also these new electric super cars can accelerate like crazy , with all this tech why can't car restrict rapid acceleration and top speed when it clearly knows its in city limits. I know this reckless kid would have anyway ended up killing people but with all the technology in hand why are we still relying on humans to self regulate themselves while handling 1 ton heavy metal box
Anikesh11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 15:18   #224
Senior - BHPian

- Driver at the wheel, not the rich man's son at the time of crash
- Eyewitnesses bought, threatened with help of political connects, everyone falls in line eventually...
- Case drags on, the driver gets 2-3 years in jail but his family is taken care of so not a big deal

It is all working as expected.
During my college days, we had a similar incident, at wheel was a girl whose dad was a big shot politician, crashed her car into an auto, but fortunately no life threatening injuries. The blame was shifted to their driver who appeared out of nowhere and she walked away, moved abroad immediately after completing graduation.

As a father myself, I realise why my father would not let us roam around at late nights and not take the bikes at any cost.
NiInJa is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 15:33   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anikesh11 View Post
I know this will be slightly controversial but why don't we still not have any speed limiter on cars sold in India. I belive car in this case drove upto 150 kmph on a city road, we don't even have any roads in India that are rated for anything more than 120. Also these new electric super cars can accelerate like crazy , with all this tech why can't car restrict rapid acceleration and top speed when it clearly knows its in city limits. I know this reckless kid would have anyway ended up killing people but with all the technology in hand why are we still relying on humans to self regulate themselves while handling 1 ton heavy metal box
I believe it's because we do not want another slap dash law or regulation that impacts everyone because of the mistakes or aggression of the few.

Now I am not promoting high speed driving by saying that. Rather, I feel there is a need to change the mindset of people driving the said cars. In a country where you can obtain a Driver's License without even stepping a foot in the RTO, the issues lies in the roots and more haphazard and reactionary regulation is not the answer.

My father made me go the RTO (UK07) alone and run around different window counters and get my license myself, both temporary and permanent. All this, just to learn the process and respect the law despite having all the resources to get the license issues through same illegal means as well. I had to give a written test where a couple of people in the class actually failed! And a driving test though it was rather simple. I have never broken any traffic rules thanks to my parents.

Now, how many people on T-Bhp itself can say that they did not use a agent/broker to get their licenses or renewal and went through the actual process?

The problem is in the mindset and giving a teenager a superpowered car which resulted in the murder of two people. The criminals (yes, criminals) should be tried properly but incidents like these should be studied for an institutional change.
Doonite is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks