Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2024, 10:20   #196
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

I see a lot of lip exercise here. And that’s ok we are here to discuss things at the end of the day. The kid is a rich, spoilt brat who had no concern for others’ safety and was drunk. Maybe the bike riders were drunk too, they were there to have an impromptu dinner. Both groups of people were from different social classes and lives. However one group’s actions inadvertently ended 2 lives that day. It is a clear case of manslaughter. You can fault anyone here but in the end what can be proved in a court of law will prevail.

And how many times have we all driven a bit too fast on the road? Even if we never do it ourselves, we are always at risk of being at the mercy of someone else driving like that around us losing control (drunk or not), resulting in damage to property and/or worse life (like in this case).

Other than venting our collective frustration at public forums or in private conversations, can we really do anything to change the reality on the ground?

And why are people surprised at the power of money? Forget some Gujarati business tycoon’s crashed Aston Martin, people with far less money driving far cheaper cars have gotten away with murder. Honestly this Pune kid had a better chance of surviving this ordeal (get away scot free) if he was driving a normal car and was just “well-off” and not “richie rich” rich.
The amount of social media/news attention on the case/incident and because of the extremely lenient (more like stupid) juvenile court judgment the case got highlighted and hence it will be hard for them to get away but trust me with time people will forget, media will move on and they will get away in one way or the other, either parole or bail or whatever I don’t know. What I know is Gandhiji (money) works wonders.

Honestly reading about the whole incident makes me want to be a safer, more defensive and attentive driver. And I think we should all take that as the most important personal lesson from these cases.
Himanshu809 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 10:48   #197
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

I've been closely following this incident and it is needless to say that I share the same sentiment that majority of our members have respectfully voiced in this thread.

My 2 cents [OT]-

I clearly remember my father saying this line to me in my teens, "Always remember that Law and Order is in place to keep the common man in check. Not the rich!" It's been +30 years since and those words still seem to apply. It is a delusion that our system will wake up and set an example out of this horrible incident. And it's unfortunate that too many innocent lives must be sacrificed to make the system better, even if there is an iota of it becoming better.

Governance hasn't been the strongest point of our beloved country for the last 75 years. We live in the present but are we really seeing democracy, impartial law and order truly replacing absolute Monarchy? I think not. It's just that the oligarchy and the uber rich have silently replaced Monarchy and are doing exactly the same things that subjects of the Kings were made used to -- Being oppressed, being denied of justice by making a mockery of the law.

The bail of the minor (culprit) being cancelled only means that he has failed to fulfill the terms and conditions set for the bail. Put aside political pressure on the JJB. Plus the cops will take at least a couple of months to complete their investigation and build a "Watertight" case. We all know where this is heading. It is unfortunate and I say this rhetorically.

Last edited by inreverse : 23rd May 2024 at 11:15.
inreverse is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 11:29   #198
BHPian

Still we will have people harping about making fines for speed driving double or triple. Believe you me there are plenty of people who spend lakhs over "unmentionables" a day, you fine them even lakhs and they wouldn't blink an eye. When money gets involved, corruption enters. I say get people involved into community service and the like, then you'd get people really worried. After all, time and effort are invaluable. Till then, the BMWs and Mercedes and Porsches will continue speed driving at 200, thinking even if caught it's just a matter of loose change for them.
Old 23rd May 2024, 12:46   #199
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

I don't know about the 2-wheeler riders but there is a 99% chance that both rider and pillion were not wearing helmets. So they (most probably) wilfully broke the helmet law. Doing this is equivalent to not wearing the seatbelt when driving. This (probable) wilful activity by the 2 wheeler riders endangered their lives which they eventually lost in the accident. They may or may not have survived even with a helmet on but the fact that they probably didn't, contributed to their death.

So everyone calling for harshest punishment here and on social media, here is an ethical dilema. Had the 2 people on the 2 wheeler survived due to their helmets, there would be no accidental death charge. Correct?
So they are also (probably) somewhat responsible for their own death due to a law they broke. So is it correct to put a person in jail for a mistake that someone else made?
I simply cannot get behind this at all. They could have worn whatever protective gear they could get their hands on, but when they got railroaded from behind by a car at speeds of 200kph, no gear is going to save their lives.

The poor woman was tossed 20 feet into the air before she landed. What protective gear is going to save her?

The guy who drove the car needs to be tried for murder. He knew fully well what he was doing.. he doesn't qualify to drive a car, he was drunk and he killed two people. If this doesn't warrant throwing the kitchen sink at him and getting him the harshest punishment possible, I can't fathom what would merit such a course of action.
schumi_pete is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 12:56   #200
BHPian

Yet another appalling scene in a society increasingly descending into a dark-age dystopia. This highlights everything that is wrong with our law and order system. The cost of human life for the average Joe is woeful in this country. You must have money and know someone who knows someone; you can get away with anything and everything.

My heart goes out to the families who have lost their loved ones. I pray they have the strength to continue, for justice will be an arduous and uphill battle.

The details of this case are straight out of a script that Anurag Kashyap could very well write. The police asked the parents of the deceased as to what exactly they were doing up and about so late at night. Disgusting!

As the lawyer members point out, the helmet argument holds no water. 2.6 tonnes of EV are approaching you at 150 kmph (likely 200 kmph). Try that with Tony Stark's Iron Man suit, too. Your chances of survival are negligible.

The way this kid has behaved screams entitlement and lousy parenting. Cars/high-speed machines are beautiful things; if only he and his dad had spent more time indulging their shared passion for cars on a Sunday morning. He would have known better not to drive drunk on a Saturday night.

Also, as GTO said, the first car, chauffeur or no chauffeur, must be wonderfully underpowered. He can be around the "big boy" toys, sure. But even the thought of driving them, let alone while underage and under the influence? Parenting fails 101. I'm glad that the father has also been arrested.

Since this case has received media attention, the situation seems to have escalated. Let us see how long this trial by the media (and the retaliatory responses from the legal and administrative machinery) keeps up because as soon as the dust settles, as someone else mentioned, a few crores/lakhs of rupees will exchange hands somewhere. We won't hear a peep about this case again. Fingers crossed, this does not go down in this manner, and justice for the families of the deceased prevails.

Last edited by n:CorE : 23rd May 2024 at 12:59.
n:CorE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 13:00   #201
BHPian

Another thing this incident highlights to me is that electric vehicles are so silent that you don't hear them at all even at high speeds. If he had been driving a Porsche flat 6, everyone would have heard him from a mile away and gotten out of the way.

In no way I am condoning the guy, the entire rulebook needs to be thrown at him and his family, but if he had been driving an ICE car, it would have given people early warning to get out of the way and try to save their lives.

One of the big downsides of electric vehicles in crowded cities in my view.
schumi_pete is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 13:13   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueAddict007 View Post
This is solely the responsibility of the careless and negligent father. I was not allowed to touch the driver's seat, even though there were 3 cars at home at most times, until I turned 18 and was eligible to start driving, then I had to go to ten days of driving classes, plus ten extra days of driving classes. After that, either my father or my uncle accompanied me on quite literally every single time I drove, I was completely not allowed drive alone for a year. The first time I drove in the highway, my uncle was extremely strict in teaching me lane discipline and scolded me every time I exceeded 80.
I have exactly gone through the same procedure, though started off driving (rather learning to drive) as a 12 year old, in an open ground, way back in 1981. My father used to do his morning walks and physical exercise while keeping an eye on me while I drove on the perimeter of this huge ground. This was done for more than an year, for one hour every day. The last 15 mins was devoted to practicing clutch point - Dad made me drive the vehicle to a slight uphill on the edge of the ground, with all wheels on the slope. His instructions were very clear, the vehicle should not move forward nor should it move back - no pressing the brake pedal - control the vehicle on the clutch and accelerator. The vehicle being an old diesel Jeep (Mahindra) the 3 speed transmission one - believe me, keeping it standstill at clutch point was really painful - as my left leg had to be controlled using my pelvic muscles as the clutch pedal was raised (impossible to operate the clutch pedal with my heel on the floor bed). Those who have driven old generation vehicles shall understand what I mean. Till I was 14 years old, the itch to drive was massaged by this only way. At 15 years old, I was allowed to drive, with my father or driver riding shotgun, but confined to the campus we lived in. Another 2 frustrating years passed by. Only after the sun struck my 18th birthday, was I allowed to apply for a DL, once that in place, another year of driving on public roads, with someone elder riding shotgun. After that I was allowed to drive alone.

After all these years, having driven extensively all across India and abroad, this training / discipline has paid off richly.

I drive from Dwarka (Delhi) to Gurgaon every day, to my work place. Dwarka is full of traffic lights and the speed limit being 50 kmph. I leave home at 7AM, which coincides with school going traffic in all shapes and sizes. Starting from 2 wheelers to buses, all number of wheels one can count. The common mentality most people have, leave home late, road rip till the school, traffic lights 'red', oh that is meant for fools like me. Honestly, I pray each and every day, that I get the traffic light to be RED for me as jumping a traffic light is rampant. If the light is GREEN for me, I am really afraid to cross and slow down considerably, as I fear of banging into someone jumping the red light. Out of this fear, I have installed a dash cam in my car, just to prove who was at fault. I am sure, by penalizing the 'traffic red light jumpers', some kind of road rules respect could be gathered.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th May 2024 at 23:02. Reason: Typo
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 14:07   #203
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov.R View Post
@MT_Hyderabad, please help me understand how your comment is relevant to the incident that took place.

If we have nothing better to say, let's not disabuse the dead. Their families are never going to come to terms with the loss. Let's not question the intelligence of the killed by wondering why they weren't wearing the helmet, while rushing to defend the indefensible.
I look at everything while discussing something that can affect livelihoods of people.

In this case, the responsibity lies with the juvenile driver. But, are we saying that he can do a 200 km/hr stunt on a city road and go back home in one piece?
He was destined to crash. Now, it is upto me, how I can safeguard myself from such a driver. In some situations I can, in some I cannot.

The whole point of such discussions is to understand what we can do to safeguard ourselves from such incidents. I have my own list of dos and don'ts while driving. There is a teambhp list of do's and dont's.

Its good to be emotional, but we have to respect the law of the land also. Whether I tell it to the family of the deceased, or the insurance company, it is a hard fact that the two wheeler was also not on the right side of the law. This small flaw on their end can weaken the case and they will not get justice. This is how the law works.

I wish that this driver rots in jail forever and the victim's families also gets compensated. Only then justice will prevail.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 17:35   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Today, the bail of the Pune teenager who rammed his Porsche into a motorcycle, killing two IT professionals in their 20s, has been cancelled by the Juvenile Justice Board.
The Pune police had moved a review application before the Juvenile Justice Board, Pune. The bail cancellation was result of this review application verdict. The 17-year-old boy has been shifted to an observation home in Yerwada, Pune, till 05.06.24, following an order of the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB), an official from the facility said on Thursday.

Those who are in the know about review applications/petitions are aware that it goes before the same Single Judge/ Division Bench for review. They take months together or maybe one year or more to get listed and heard. And in 99 % cases the original verdict is upheld. Rather, review does not provide remedies to the applicant unless newly emerged facts and law points are brought forth before the court, that were not mentioned earlier.

Here, due to the national outrage and media outcry they have reviewed their decision within two days and have canceled the bail order. Their verdict on Monday last was flawed and coloured in favour of the juvenile delinquent.

Last edited by graaja : 23rd May 2024 at 18:56. Reason: Minor typo: msybe -> maybe
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 19:11   #205
BHPian

This case would have gone unnoticed but for the lenient punishment given to the offender - write an essay.
Here is another similar case that has been dug up.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...S1xVC1OR1I3M1M.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 20:10   #206
BHPian

This incident is just one of many and is fully blown only because of the media attention it is receiving. Had it not been for the constant attention of media over the proceedings, the court order would have sealed the case and the victims family would have been “compensated” and moved on.
Why i say this is, i recall a similar incident in my town Chennai, although not a minor but a porsche crash in the middle of the city in 2016 by a drunk young man who also was a F3 racer. He rammed into a bunch of autos in an auto stand and killed one of the auto drivers who was sleeping in his auto. The news was just a small blocked in the newspaper and a quick flash on tv. The driver got out on bail in 2 days and was totally let free in 2 months (he resumed his college course). Maybe this type of media attention would have had a different outcome for the young racer. We never know.
Ashwintona675 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 20:43   #207
BHPian

Now comes the classic, I wasn't behind the wheel, the driver was!!!

Quote:
The 17-year-old boy, who was involved in the Pune crash, has claimed that his family driver was behind the wheel when the accident happened. The minor's two friends, who were with him at the time of the accident, have backed his claims.
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...20his%20claims.

I am hoping the prosecution catches the lie and the friends backing him up convicted for perjury if it's proved to be a lie. This is getting just murky, and if this case fizzles out, one more reason to trust the system less!

Last edited by SR-71 : 23rd May 2024 at 20:46.
SR-71 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 20:59   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Now comes the classic, I wasn't behind the wheel, the driver was!!!

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...20his%20claims.

I am hoping the prosecution catches the lie and the friends backing him up convicted for perjury if it's proved to be a lie. This is getting just murky, and if this case fizzles out, one more reason to trust the system less!
I will not be surprised if the judge lets them off with a paltry punishment, especially after seeing the 300 page essay as a condition for bail. The mob who was there should have probably broken one of his limbs in response. And now that we all know who he is, once he is out of prison, he will live for the rest of his life with shame and public scrutiny.
Old 23rd May 2024, 22:29   #209
BHPian

It appears that crime runs in the family. It has now been revealed that the grandfather has ties to the underworld and hired a contract killer to assassinate a leader back in 2009.

Quote:
It has now emerged that the grandfather, who is learnt to have started the family's real estate business, has links with gangster Rajendra Sadashiv Nikalje, widely known as Chhota Rajan.
Source : https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/pune...r-lens-5727930
Sohail_91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2024, 08:03   #210
BHPian

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...victed-3036264

Yet another indicator of what money can do. The article lists out multiple cases where there were no convictions.

I personally feel all the loud speak from Maha Dy CM and others will have no impact. The fact that the minor's blood tests were done too late, and that the family driver has come forward to say that he was driving the car, will throw the case off track, notwithstanding the fact that the guy was caught on camera drinking and there were eye witnesses who saw the minor driving / getting off the driver's seat. Remember No One Killed Jessica? I think there will need to be another movement of that scale to attain conviction in this case.

We can say a lot about how we should stay safe, etc. Nobody deserves to die such a death at the hands of morons who have scant regard for life and law.
theabstractmind is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks