Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2024, 11:28   #136
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi View Post
Forget about this case, is any main stream journalist in the country asking questions relevant to the citizens?
Sadly, it is bitter truth Most of the media houses belong to some or other political parties or at least have indirect support for them..
satya_ip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 11:32   #137
BHPian

Re: Underage drunk driver rams unregistered Porsche Taycan into 2-wheeler at high speed | 2 dead

For everyone here asking what is responsibility of Guardian or Father in such cases, the MV ACT, Section 199A reads as follows:

"199A. Offences by juveniles. - (1) Where an offence under this Act has been committed by a juvenile, the guardian of such juvenile or the owner of the motor vehicle shall be deemed to be guilty of the contravention and shall be liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly:
Provided that nothing in this sub-section shall render such guardian or owner liable to any punishment provided in this Act, if he proves that the offence was committed without his knowledge or that he exercised all due diligence to prevent the commission of such offence.
Explanation. - For the purposes of this section, the Court shall presume that the use of the motor vehicle by the juvenile was with the consent of the guardian of such juvenile or the owner of the motor vehicle, as the case may be."

Therefore, if Police want, they can charge the father with culpable homicide as well, on strength of this section alone. It remains to be seen whether this is done or not. Ofcourse, a skilled lawyer can use the Proviso to get the father acquitted, but whether he is charged with the act or not is the question.
Ays7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 12:26   #138
BHPian

My 2 bits for us regular folk - Avoid being out on a 2 wheeler after 10 or 11 PM at night. Use your car or take a cab, or carpool, even if it means a surcharge. In light of your safety, the surcharge is nothing.
Your odds of meeting with such an accident would go down significantly.

On a personal note, I hope that kid and his Dad really really pay for their sins, one way or another.
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 12:27   #139
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post

Unless we have strict laws and fear for law, sab chalta hai attitude will always be there and such accidents will keep happening. And the rich and powerful people just take these laws for granted and get bailed out of any serious crime.
We have laws (and fear of law) but for the common public only. As you rightly said, the rich and powerful take laws for granted and due advantage of the judiciary.

Just repeating my words.

"We have no value of life in India before Money and Power."

If you have power and money, you can get away with any situation.

Sorry but true.
satish.gawai is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 12:36   #140
Senior - BHPian

The whole RTO angle about an unregistered car seems rather insignificant compared to the offence of running down two riders. If not this car, the kid would have driven another one from the garage in an inebriated condition. I recall instances of heavy vehicles' fitness certificate coming into the picture when the act was caused by the driver and driver alone. Not having the right records cannot make one wish away the vehicle which caused the accident.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 12:40   #141
BHPian

This is solely the responsibility of the careless and negligent father. I was not allowed to touch the driver's seat, even though there were 3 cars at home at most times, until I turned 18 and was eligible to start driving, then I had to go to ten days of driving classes, plus ten extra days of driving classes. After that, either my father or my uncle accompanied me on quite literally every single time I drove, I was completely not allowed drive alone for a year. The first time I drove in the highway, my uncle was extremely strict in teaching me lane discipline and scolded me every time I exceeded 80.

I was allowed to start taking the car on my own for only short distances less than 5 kms, less than an year ago, and that too only our old WagonR MT, after almost two years of not being allowed to drive on my own. Maybe it was a little excessive caution, I put up a lot of tantrums because of how much I loved driving. But now, I completely understand why that was the case. Today, I have the privilege of having two cars, a Tata Punch EV and Innova HyCross Hybrid that have no dearth of power, and I have unquestioned freedom at home, I can take any car anywhere, I do all the highway trips in our family now, but that's because I have proved that I am a responsible driver. I never violate traffic rules, no matter what comes, I drive as defensively and as cautiously as possible, and despite having cars with a lot of power on tap, I am very careful and try to never exceed 60 inside city roads, unless the roads are at the outskirts and completely free, and I have religiously avoided going above 120 on highways, no matter how empty they are, most of the time, I cruise at 100-110 and follow lane discipline as judiciously as possible.

I did not start out as this when I started out as a new driver, when I was 18, I was just a teenager with all the reckless traits. I was in love with cars and was obsessed with speed, but I was very firmly corrected and made aware of all my responsibilities, along with being strictly monitored until I had proved that I was responsible.

New adults are stupid, especially the ones who have grown up seeing and travelling in good cars at home, they think that just because they have a car and are now legally allowed to drive, they are entitled to whatever speed their adrenaline rush demands, especially if they are adrenaline junkies themselves. It is the responsibility of their parents to teach them that as much as driving is about feeling good, enjoying the car, it is more of a responsibility.
TorqueAddict007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 12:44   #142
BHPian

Reminds me of the incident in Kerala when an IAS officer driving allegedly under influence had crashed and killed a journalist on a bike. As far as I am aware that case hasn’t reached anywhere. I have no hopes of justice being served in this case also. My only hope these days is in karma catching up someday and everyone paying for their sins while they are alive. Sometimes I wish the old horror movies with ghosts seeking revenge were true
Night Raven is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 12:57   #143
BHPian

Very Tragic - but then the law of the land in such cases allows rash drivers to eventually get bailed out & escape with minor penalties.

A couple of years ago, a drunk youth in Chandigarh , driving a Mercedes AMG coupe smashed into a cab at night, leading to the death of 5 persons - he was arrested, there was some brouhaha for a while & he was soon out on bail within a month or do.

I often seen him , relaxing at the Chandigarh Golf club.
driven646 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 13:25   #144
BHPian

Whenever such an instance comes in the news, I am overwhelmed with various emotions: sadness for the families who have lost someone so young, possibly the only future breadwinner; anger at parents who allow such a car to a youngster, knowing they are out drinking; and anxiety about the possibility of something similar happening to our loved ones.

For those questioning:

a. Why were the two adults out so late at night?
b. Why were they not wearing helmets?
c. Had they been drinking?

The tragic deaths were not due to the negligence of not wearing helmets or being out late at night. They resulted from being thrown into the air after being hit by a car traveling at 160 km/h.

If they had fallen without anyone else's fault and sustained injuries or, unfortunately, passed away, we could debate the above points. However, that's not the case here.

This incident reminds me of a similar event involving a Bollywood superstar. It highlights that justice in India often serves those with influence.

These incidents, along with numerous Instagram pages showing dashcam footage of accidents, underscore the urgent need for safer driving practices:
  • Not exceeding the speed limit and ensuring adequate braking distance for any unforeseen event.
  • Using a car with high safety ratings and maximum possible safety features.
  • Mandating the use of seat belts for all passengers at all times.
  • Avoiding driving at night, especially between 11 PM and 6 AM, due to the higher risk of accidents involving drowsy truck drivers or others.
  • Ensuring our children are not given vehicles they cannot handle and discouraging them from accompanying others who do.
  • Wearing helmets and ensuring passengers also wear helmets, even for short distances.
  • Securing life insurance for family breadwinners and having accident disability coverage.
Mr.Beat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 13:36   #145
BHPian

When Salman Khan who was involved in Hit and run case could get away using money, the minor can easily get away. That's how the system works. Unless Police works as an independent institution without taking orders from ministers and unless Police personnel are held accountable for not doing their duty, things will remain the same.

Also, I believe Technology can solve a lot of things. For ex, all cars should have biometric authorisation before starting. That way, no one who is not supposed to drive the car can start it let alone drive it. Also, cars should have driver cams just like dash cams to record who is driving the car and share that info with the registered owner.
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 13:36   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi View Post
Forget about this case, is any main stream journalist in the country asking questions relevant to the citizens?
Totally off topic, but were they asking the right questions earlier? I think the Radia tapes effectively showed us the true conduct of our so called journalists and of course our industrialists and politicians too.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 13:38   #147

I completely agree the Porsche driver and the parents are the culprits in this horrible accident.
I have one thought provoking question though, were the people who died in the accident drunk ? If yes what kind of turn will the matter take in legal terms, because then legally they were not supposed to ride either.
Old 22nd May 2024, 13:46   #148
BHPian

I usually do not condone mob justice, but if that is the only form of justice available then so be it. Just wish the mob had carried out more "justice" than they already did, and made sure he never sat in the driver's seat again in his life
DasAuto1985 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 13:47   #149
BHPian

It is a case of Parents not doing their job as Parents. It's the parent's responsibility to teach their children what's wrong and what's right.

During my college time to earn an extra few bucks, I used to Ride for Rapido (Rapido Captain) from 12 AM-5 AM.
One night I was in Indiranagar and got a fare. A young drunk guy but was in his senses. I had always made a rule to carry a full-face helmet for the pillion but he didn't want to wear it and had his helmet (The dog bowl helmet if you know what I mean) Let's call him Mr.R. He initiated the small talk after I asked him for the OTP in English

Mr.R - I cannot breathe if I wear that helmet. I have my helmet.
Me - Okay.
Me (Knowing he is drunk) - Yenn Bro full tight ,What happened?
Mr.R- The 10th Results came out and I have passed, so my friends had a party. I wanted to come by car and go for a night ride but my father didn't let me go to the party so snuck out of my home and came here.
Me - How did you enter the club?
Mr.R (Him laughing ) - My friend has contacts bro they let us in. Do you know who he is?
Me (In my mind) - Ah, A spoilt rich brat.
NB_4763 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 14:06   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The only right thing that was done was there was a chauffeur in the car.
We never know; this could be used to their advantage, potentially twisting the case to suggest that the chauffeur was driving the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks