Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2024, 19:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ather Halo & Halo Bit smart helmets with built-in speakers revealed; priced from Rs 4,999

Ather Energy recently launched the Rizta electric scooter during Ather Community Day 2024. At the same event, the company also showcased Ather Halo and Halo Bit - a range of smart helmets with built-in speakers.

Ather Halo & Halo Bit smart helmets with built-in speakers revealed; priced from Rs 4,999-athersmarthelmet_1024x1024.jpg

The Ather Halo is a full-face helmet, while the Halo Bit is a half-face design. Both models feature an integrated Harman Kardon speaker and a mic. The helmets can be paired with a smartphone, allowing the user to listen to music and receive phone calls.

The Ather Halo helmets can be charged wirelessly. The company claims that the battery can last for around 10 days.

The Ather Halo costs Rs 14,999, while the Halo Bit is priced at Rs 4,999. The former though, is available at an introductory price of Rs 12,999 for the first 1,000 buyers, while those attending Ather Community Day can get it for just Rs 6,500. Both models are ISI and DOT-certified.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 7th April 2024 at 19:46.
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 20:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Ather Halo & Halo Bit smart helmets with built-in speakers revealed; priced from Rs 4,999

With just Bluetooth speakers it’s quite expensive
kkunal.shah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 20:25   #3
BHPian

Re: Ather Halo & Halo Bit smart helmets with built-in speakers revealed; priced from Rs 4,999

Using mobile phones (in any form) while driving is banned in Bangalore, I wonder how these helmets get ISI certification ?
whitewing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 20:56   #4
BHPian

Helmets will be charged when they kept in the under-seat storage. With 2 helmets, the riders can talk via bluetooth and even share music. It seems the helmets detect when someone wear it, and turn on automatically. These are some good features. Having said that, the pre-production models especially the half faced one felt kind of flimsy.

One can easily get a good quality helmet for 4-5k if they do not want these novelties. Let's see how the actual ones will be fared. Putting myself in the shoes of a buyer, I'll never touch these and spend that money on a good regular helmet. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by ASP007 : 7th April 2024 at 21:04.
ASP007 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 21:36   #5
BHPian

Wont these run foul of distracted driving regulations?
Old 7th April 2024, 22:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Funnily, the helmets don't have size information, and Ather wants us to book without even knowing if it'll fit. High time such important specifications are uploaded on their website.

PS: Here's the pre-booking link that is quite un-informative: https://shop.atherenergy.com/products/halo

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 22:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkunal.shah View Post
With just Bluetooth speakers it’s quite expensive
Its not just Bluetooth Speakers, you can pair one helmet to another and speak with your pillion rider, just like 1000s of TBHP riders has Sena, Parani, Blue armour, etc, so that they can talk with their pillion riders or co-riders. And each Bluetooth costs between Rs 8k to 30k.

I would say if helmet quality is good, this is worth it. Its not just ISI certified, but DOT certified like other international brands - ISI (IS:4151)
DOT certified.

Needs clarification if this works only with pillion riders, or it works with fellow riders, typically other Bluetooth intercom works upto 1 kms from fellow riders.
Attached Thumbnails
Ather Halo & Halo Bit smart helmets with built-in speakers revealed; priced from Rs 4,999-tbhp1.jpg  

shamanth is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 12:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

I see a lot of bikers these days who use mobile phones while riding. Usually the phone is tucked between their ear and shoulder in an awkward position, or they hold the phone in one hand and try and control the bike with the other. Both these ways are very dangerous, not just to them but to others on the road as well. I have also witnessed some minor accidents due to riding and using mobile phone at the same time.

I do understand the importance of being connected while on the road and myself use a helmet mounted bluetooth system for mobile communication. So a product like Ather halo makes good sense provided it pays good attention to safety over features like sound quality or wireless charging. But pricing is the key and even the introductory price of Rs 13k seems a bit too high. Big bike users will prefer branded helmets with branded communication systems like Sena, etc. For commuter bikers and scooter riders, paying 13K for a relatively unknown helmet brand seems a bit far-fetched.

Hope there are more helmets with simple bluetooth system, introduced in the market for the commuter segment, so we see less riders using the phone in dangerous ways while riding.

Last edited by graaja : 10th April 2024 at 09:38. Reason: Minor typo
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 21:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Using mobile phones (in any form) while driving is banned in Bangalore, I wonder how these helmets get ISI certification ?
In the same Bangalore, there are multiple shops selling Blutooth helmet earpieces & communication devices - which authorities have no problems with!!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 18:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
Wont these run foul of distracted driving regulations?
These helmets do not ignore the ambiance sound. As per Ather CEO, They have tested well and satisfied on the safety aspect.

I have booked 2 Halos and waiting for the deliveries. I was told that Deliveries would commence from August 2024.
snallagatla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 21:52   #11
BHPian

Note that these are ISI and DOT but not ECE verified.

Both ISI and DOT are self certifications. That is, the manufacturer states that the product is upto spec. With ECE, you will have to send samples from each batch for testing, which obviously translates to a slightly increased cost.

So if you see a helmet with DOT/ISI but not ECE spec, please remember this.

This is not to say that this helmet is inferior in quality. Just an observation.
alphamike_1612 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 22:37   #12
BHPian

Quite frankly, as cool as the vehicle integration is, I'd still recommend picking up something like a Bluarmour c30 and an ECE Certified Helmet for around 5000 Rs. This would match the final price of the Halo with significantly improved safety and usable features such as a pinlock film and an internal sun visor.
WhiskeyTangoFox is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 09:29   #13
BHPian

Good business strategy, advertise about the helmets, collect money upfront, then produce the helmets with customers money, delivery after 4 months and atlast the customers are used as Guinea pigs and product is improved later based on feedbacks��

Last edited by wheeledwanderer : 12th April 2024 at 09:29. Reason: Spelling

Most Viewed