Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2024, 23:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why no new BNCAP tests in the last 2 months? Is the voluntary program a failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai submitted its latest micro SUV, the 'Exter', for BNCAP testing; however, because the program allows manufacturers to work on improving their models, the Korean automaker intends to make the necessary changes to achieve a better rating.

Other manufacturers, such as Honda and Maruti, that have received low GNCAP ratings, are receiving government assistance in sending their vehicles to ARAI to identify areas for improvement for testing by Bharat NCAP protocols. While ARAI performs preliminary testing, CIRT issues the test certificate.

The highlighted part is such a farce. When the very same manufacturers have the wherewithal and engineering know-how to make 5 star rated cars when it comes to their export models, why would they need govt assistance in "identifying the gaps" to improve their vehicle safety standards? Who else will know better than them about the corner cutting they themselves have done. I just wonder, what would the middling ARAI have to "contribute" here?

Kia makes 5 star rated cars for exports at the very same plant they produce cars for domestic market(those 2.75 rated cars), same with Maruti and Hyundai. In my view, this is all hogwash. We'll have to further wait to see how this drama unfolds in the coming days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
-Does "government assistance" mean funding, i.e. non-voluntary testing? A welcome move but what is the point in picking models that already have low GNCAP ratings?

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 5th May 2024 at 23:29.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 23:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why no new BNCAP tests in the last 2 months? Is the voluntary program a failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Who else will know better than them about the corner cutting they themselves have done. I just wonder, what would the middling ARAI have to "contribute" here?
GNCAP invites manufacturers to the tests anyway. It's a different story that Maruti hasn't attended the last 5 or 6, but there is still no reason to physically crash test them again, especially the Alto K10 and Amaze which are already at the maximum they can score with their current equipment, crashworthiness notwithstanding.

And, even putting that aside, the language is rather concerning. An independent consumer tester should be testing cars to inform consumers first -- helping them improve should be a by-product.

Last edited by ron178 : 5th May 2024 at 23:50.
ron178 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 19:39   #33
BHPian

Weren't we supposed to get bncap results of 3 maruti models today?
lightfootdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 07:35   #34

What I heard was that every new car launch has to mandatorily undergo crash test but yesterday the Swift was launched without a word on safety ratings?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th May 2024 at 07:36. Reason: Capitalising.
SacManBet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 19:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfootdriver View Post
Weren't we supposed to get bncap results of 3 maruti models today?
Yes, we were expected to get results for Fronx, Baleno and Grand Vitara. Its been 10 days over the deadline now.

I do not think this may happen anytime soon though. I hope we can get the BNcap results posted for all the SUVs and cars including the new Swift and XUV 3XO.
Old 17th May 2024, 21:27   #36
BHPian

This makes me lose confidence (if any) in BNCAP. It is evident they were launched purely for namesake.
lightfootdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 13:48   #37
BHPian

I have been in the market for a new / used car and have been delaying things hoping for a result on these Baleno and siblings.

Perhaps Maruti disliked the results and decided to not publish? Which tells me that Maruti cars continue to be unsafe.
Old 14th July 2024, 17:46   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crodjer View Post
I have been in the market for a new / used car and have been delaying things hoping for a result on these Baleno and siblings.

Perhaps Maruti disliked the results and decided to not publish? Which tells me that Maruti cars continue to be unsafe.
Because its Maruti, I only have hope for the Grand Vitara scoring 5 stars considering it's based on the same platform as the Brezza, the Baleno and the Fronx certainly don't seem like they are getting 5 stars.

Whatever the case, the voluntary testing has not been great for the BNCAP and it shows in the delay in the results as well.
Old 14th July 2024, 21:14   #39
BHPian

In parallel it seems the new Swift has secured a 3 star rating in Euro NCAP rating. Not sure how much of this transfers to the Indian Swift

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../111678947.cms
Old 29th July 2024, 09:34   #40

Allowing manufactures to make corrections 'n' number of times should not be accepted by BNCAP. What about the buyers who bought the old spec? Maruti, Hyundai and Kia sold millions of cars without ncap ratings. What about those buyers?
Old 29th July 2024, 20:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darshanbhp View Post
Allowing manufactures to make corrections 'n' number of times should not be accepted by BNCAP. What about the buyers who bought the old spec? Maruti, Hyundai and Kia sold millions of cars without ncap ratings. What about those buyers?

What is the background to this? Has their been some news of them reaching out to manufacturers on improvements needed for better score?

I though there was no news on the Maruti's till now
izzikio_rage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 20:59   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darshanbhp View Post
Allowing manufactures to make corrections 'n' number of times should not be accepted by BNCAP.
I think it is okay. Its a forward looking mindset. Better to get consultation which allows improvements at least in the future, versus not testing at all fearing bad ratings.

Tata Nexon also got 4 stars initially, which then Tata improved upon to get 5 stars.
crodjer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks