Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2024, 21:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Fear is the key | Do you feel fear when driving? Or are you totally confident?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Most drivers on Indian roads are not afraid to drive. However, I believe fear is a healthy psychological response when one drives, largely because it helps keep us safe. So what are the reasons that should generate fear in our minds while driving? Which of these is your biggest fear while driving? Or are there any other reasons?
Fear of Causing death or injury just keeps me on the edge.
Completely scaredy-cat and always on defensive driving mode. I even disengage from conversations when pedestrian or vehicle density is higher or erratic(especially near schools).

I had ended up taking a break from driving for more than 4 years after a scare involving a kid. Imagine panic breaking and a scared kid scream, a few inches from you in a Omni.
The kid just popped up from behind a truck and the saving element was the low speed.
Result - Kid gets a mouthful from his parents and me having a panic attack with a bad case of acid reflux.

Solution - Control & Anticipation
Control all the parameters on my vehicle and anticipate trouble from everything/everyone else.
Even with all the right to passage, my defensive driving causes me to anticipate a carelessness/misstep from others.

And most importantly dashcams. Front and back (if there were reliable options for 360 deg, i will get them too).
I don't want to be falsely accused or intimidated, especially after putting in all this effort.
EV Fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 21:52   #32
BHPian

Re: Fear is the key | Do you feel fear when driving? Or are you totally confident?

Those of us who have grown watching the TV serial Mahabharat might remember a scene from the night before Arjun has the final fight with Karna. Nakul asks Arjun if he is really afraid of Karna. And Arjun replies - It is necessary to fear your opponent.

While the context is different, the analogy largely applies.

Last edited by IB290 : 3rd February 2024 at 21:53. Reason: typo
IB290 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 22:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

When you drive be aware of your limitations and always assume that everyone else doesn’t.

That is a safe practice to use while driving. Also very scary.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 00:45   #34
BHPian

One way to feel confident on your bike, alongside your safe riding skills is your safety gear.
My kit makes me feel safe
Fear is the key | Do you feel fear when driving? Or are you totally confident?-img_6515.jpeg
Fear is the key | Do you feel fear when driving? Or are you totally confident?-img_6514.jpeg
I wear this even within the city, and now, without it, I feel a little awkward.

Also following the three second rule (at least 2) when driving/ riding behind a vehicle makes it safer for us as well as the vehicles following us.

I also believe, a bike that is built to go fast, has more safety gear than an inexpensive one.
vinya_jag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 09:25   #35
BHPian

I'm exactly like GTO said. I don't own a bike or scooter intentionally. Too many idiots on Chennai roads. I won't survive even a day. With Thar, I had too many incidents already, 90% of the time the opposite party making mistakes and they silently move on without uttering a word. This is causing a lot of fear. I have lots of fear while driving the Thar compared my German car and I can feel the rush of blood. My Thar gives me more uncertainty as it's not having refined controls like swift response in brakes or steering. We have to really be careful in the city. This causes fear and anxiety. True. Nowadays, I take on-call drivers 90% of the time, if its city driving as it's very chaotic and narrow roads, especially with Thar's size. No development of traffic and road conditions and adding the metro construction woes, I hate driving nowadays in Chennai.

Last edited by sgmuser : 4th February 2024 at 09:29. Reason: Typo
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 11:35   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

If one is fearful while driving a car, then it’s so much better to not drive at all. I agree with @Hayek that fear is a negative word. We should be mindful about the happenings of the car and its surroundings and I think, we should be okay. I am no expert in driving but in my view, keeping your eyes and mind open while driving a car or a bike IS the most important thing. And like it pertains to life in general, being confident is good but over confidence can be iffy at times and in case of driving or riding- that might well become the only mistake while on the road !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 13:56   #37
BHPian

I do have a fear but in a positive way to keep me conscious

Generally I have fear while riding a bike mainly because of the conditions of our roads. Even while driving a bike on moderate speed there are dangers associated due to bad roads

While driving a car though I am conscious of my driving, I have very little fear, that too only when I am speeding
RiderS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 15:05   #38
BHPian

Contrary to popular responses, i don't fear while driving at all.
I saw the topic yesterday and refrained from replying immediately, giving myself time to think on this, as my answer was opposite to what most of other experienced members mentioned. I even started doubting myself due to this.

So today here with a clear head I'll say, I don't have fear while driving. Why? Because when i drive, whatever can be controlled is already under my control. I drive according to circumstances, i drive according to the car and the road I'm on. I drive to the best of my ability everytime. I'll credit this to my competitive video gaming days and my musician skills. You cannot control the game but you can control your character in game, multitasking and playing with multiple people together.
When playing games, you focus on the 'now' with full control on yourself, even the thought and fear of defeat can derail you. Same with music.
As long as i am in control to the best of my abilities, i don't fear, because rest all other things are out of my hand and cannot be controlled anyway.

The only time i fear:
When i see adults walking with kids next to them and the kids are walking on traffic side and not the footpath side.

What i feel while driving most of the times is 'regret'. Regret of sharing the road with other idiots and me taking care of them and maybe saving their lives. Regret of some people overestimating their skills and being a pilot on the roads
PrasadS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 18:50   #39
BHPian

Absolutely ... fear is essential. New cars with exceptional torque and power give many a false confidence to overtake or outmanoeuvre others on highways. You will see zig zag driving at intense speeds, no slowing down when they see a vehicle, relying on braking power, they create a lot of fear in ordinary drivers like us. Rarely would one see people maintaining safe distance on highways or cities. Serial crashes are quite common on the Bellary Road in Bangalore of late. May be cameras everywhere like Delhi and regular fines will sort this. Or may be not..
neerajku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 19:49   #40
BHPian

All the thoughts we have been getting while driving on Indian roads are probably reflected in this thread.

Except for breakdowns, I never worried about anything because I always used to think that I had decades of experience and could manage in any situation until this happened to me last year LINK (Accidents in India | Pics & Videos).

These days, fear is always in the background of my thoughts, and its two most important factors are:

1) Accidents or crashes that include death or injury.

2) Breakdown

Last year's incident shocked me so deeply that now whenever I cross 100, even on the expressway, my heartbeat starts pumping, and I stick to the 80s for my heart's sake. I'll never be able to get over my anxiety about two-wheelers, since I don't trust them at all.

In the past, I have been in many accidents, but none bothered me, but this time it was my 4-day-old baby, so maybe that is the reason I have become overly anxious.
GhostGrid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 21:02   #41
BHPian

Agree that fear is essential.

Once question i have here is, how does it change when one switches from motor cycle to car.
With MotorCyle, i drive in fear always with motor cycle, even after 12 years. I always avoid someone tail-gating me and let them pass, i am anxious even with a little movement on lanes left to me. I am just starting with car, will my anxiety become easier or it will get worse?. Starting with 4.3m SUV btw, if that matters.
sud153 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 21:09   #42
BHPian

I have plenty of fear when driving in both city or highway. One thing I've learnt in over 12 years of driving is "always drive at speeds proportionate to the visibility available." If only 20-30 metres is visible, even if the road is totally empty I wouldn't dare do anything over 50-55 kmph. Always assume the worst. Imagine that some moron might jump in front of you. It is stressful but I don't see anyother option. 98% of the times cars touching a two wheeler is fatal. Keep that in mind.
true_sedan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 21:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

I agree with all of SS' points except I would say that it's not fear in the typical sense. It's more to do with a state of awareness for me and actively avoiding and sort of misfortune.
Actually the only thing I'm afraid of is other road users and pedestrians and bad infrastructure. So scratch that I am actually scared while driving
Mortis is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 22:54   #44
BHPian

More than FEAR, for Indian driving conditions defensive driving is the best option according to me. Expect the unexpected on our roads.

Another thing that worries me is that a lot of highway drivers, drive as if they are driving on autobahns and without scant regard for other road users. For example overtaking from the left or suddenly stopping without indicating are just a few examples I see increasing day by day. And lastly on highway drives, there are some drivers who get offended if one honks or flashes headlights to make way. So such drivers scare me because they can cause unnecessary problems on the highways.
Satish Pari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 00:18   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Which of these means do you employ to overcome your fear of driving?

Or are you completely fearless, and feel absolutely invincible while driving?

Let us hear your views.
My worst fear is a vehicle jumping the median on a highway from the opposite side!

Definitely have plenty of other fears as well, so try to be in as much control as possible, while anticipating the unknowns. I have noticed my top speeds have reduced over the years, but, there hasn't been much difference in the overall journey times. So, I try to keep it steady these days.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks