Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2024, 15:42   #31
BHPian

Re: Rumblers & speed breakers are banned on National Highways: RTI

I think we should worry more about ambulances plying on normal roads in potholes ridden pathetic conditions in comparison to those plying on National Highways with rumblers. Wonder what led the RTI to be filed!?

The reply given to the RTI filed seems like a routine bureaucratic affair.
Old 1st February 2024, 16:29   #32
BHPian

Typical bureaucratic RTI reply, that’s how "AAM" Junta is taken for a ride and "Babu's" play with words;

Information Requested - Erecting Rumblers

Information Given - Removal of Speed Breakers

Both are different entities/design as per IRC 99. There's no provision of the Speed breakers on the NH but rumblers do exist as per the Standard requirement.
Attached Thumbnails
Rumblers & speed breakers are banned on National Highways: RTI-img_6801.jpeg  

Last edited by NomadSK : 1st February 2024 at 16:32.
NomadSK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 21:11   #33
BHPian

On NH44, Bangalore - Salem highway, they have added new rumbles which are too deep, unscientific, too many on a stretch from Attibelle Toll till the forest area for about 30 Kms.
It makes you feel whether this is Highway or some village road. In the name of safety, they made this stretch so bad. Vehicles ply on walking speed.
Sudden breaking by the vehicles in front of you causing accidents. No passenger can sleep on this stretch. Every 100 meters, they have added these deep rumbles.
These deep rumbles cause damaged suspension, increased wear and tear on tires, increased rattles on vehicle, increased fuel consumption, takes much longer to cross the stretch, increased fatigue.
Made the life hell for drivers. Pathetic Road management.
samy1117 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 23:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy1117 View Post
On NH44, Bangalore - Salem highway, they have added new rumbles which are too deep, unscientific, too many on a stretch from Attibelle Toll till the forest area for about 30 Kms.
It makes you feel whether this is Highway or some village road. In the name of safety, they made this stretch so bad. Vehicles ply on walking speed.
Sudden breaking by the vehicles in front of you causing accidents. No passenger can sleep on this stretch. Every 100 meters, they have added these deep rumbles.
These deep rumbles cause damaged suspension, increased wear and tear on tires, increased rattles on vehicle, increased fuel consumption, takes much longer to cross the stretch, increased fatigue.
This menace is all the way till Nagercoil

Somebody has found this to be a money making prospect and entire roads (irrespective of highways, expressways, or internal city roads) is filled up with these thick paints.

You can neither slow down without getting bumped from behind, nor can slide over without impacting the car's structure. Such a sad state of affairs
Old 13th July 2024, 08:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah those ruts are the worst kind and because it can’t be easily spotted from a distance, it would appear as though the vehicle in front is randomly slowing down.

I travelled through this stretch last weekend and it was a horrendous experience. This is a very risky thing, I don’t understand who approved this.

At every single one of these, you can find vehicle parts lying around that just dislodged themselves. Wheel nuts, wheel cabs, underbody parts etc. Pathetic and we have to still pay a hefty toll for using such roads.

Is there a way to raise a concern on these ruts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
This menace is all the way till Nagercoil
What OP is referring to is a different kind of “speed breaker”. The road is chiselled and cut to form rectangular ruts (and a series of such ruts at one spot). This is different from the other menace of tall rumble strips which is there throughout this highway. But this rut thing is only till about Hosur.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 13th July 2024 at 08:15.
krishnakumar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 16:29   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Is there a way to raise a concern on these ruts?

You can raise a complaint on government's public grievances portal.
I have done the same. It's better if more users raise complaints.

Link: https://pgportal.gov.in/

Just register with your mobile number. Sign in and select "Lodge Public Grievance" and then select "More ministries".
Search and select "Road Transport and Highways". You need to enter the highway number, road stretch, problem description, etc.
samy1117 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 23:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Yeah those ruts are the worst kind and because it can’t be easily spotted from a distance, it would appear as though the vehicle in front is randomly slowing down.

What OP is referring to is a different kind of “speed breaker”. The road is chiselled and cut to form rectangular ruts (and a series of such ruts at one spot). This is different from the other menace of tall rumble strips which is there throughout this highway. But this rut thing is only till about Hosur.

Oh my God! I just saw this in a video feed. I didn't realize it to be this bad, until you pointed out.
This Tvm - Bangalore was once a dreamy road to drive through

On one hand road infrastructure is improving and on the other, these hmm people are literally destroying it!
Atrocious and unbelievable that they are doing this on a national highway.

Some screen grab as I am unable to find link of the feed anymore (Tried to search for page in the watermark, but couldn't find as well)
Rumblers & speed breakers are banned on National Highways: RTI-rumb-1.png

Rumblers & speed breakers are banned on National Highways: RTI-rumb-2.png

Rumblers & speed breakers are banned on National Highways: RTI-rumb-3.png

Last edited by sarathlal : 15th July 2024 at 23:57.
sarathlal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 09:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Oh my God! I just saw this in a video feed. I didn't realize it to be this bad, until you pointed out.
This Tvm - Bangalore was once a dreamy road to drive through
Yep, now RIP!

Also, the yellow border lines in that screen grab are no longer visible. So it is very difficult to spot these ruts. A lot of trucks get caught off guarded and dance better than Vicky Kaushal does to the tune of Tauba Tauba. It is honestly scary.

People taking this road, beware.
krishnakumar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 10:02   #39
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Yes, the new rumble strips on the Hosur-Krishnagiri stretch of NH44 are truly horrendous . I don't know what led to making this on this stretch, which was reasonably safe.

Highway driving has become increasingly frustrating, with never ending constructions, unscientific rumble strips and speed-breakers, barricades, wrong side driving etc.
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 10:08   #40
BANNED

Karnataka is land of humps, and Bangalore is citadel of Humps with humps every 25 meters in the city. Almost all highways in Karnataka is violating these rules by putting humps in almost all villages are crossings. Question is who will bell the cat, some Case against Karnataka govt in court for installing these humps illegally on highways.
Old 16th July 2024, 10:46   #41
BHPian

I submitted an online grievance at pgportal.gov.in. These trenches are horrible and needs to be fixed. The worst part is there are no warning signs for these and they are unscientific.
Let's see what comes out of this petition. In the past I have had success with such petitions, so hopefully this will yield positive results.
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 11:12   #42
BHPian

Yes post coming back from my trip to Yercaud 2 week's ago, my car's wheel balancing went for a toss. It's too scary to slow down on this rumbles and equally scary to take it on speed since your wheels will tend to loose traction, this menace is seen on over-bridges as well for no reason. This stretch used to be my weekend leisure drive earlier, it no longer can be.

Urge everyone to raise the grievances here https://pgportal.gov.in/ than just ranting and shrug off. I did my duty.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 21:02   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Oh my God! I just saw this in a video feed. I didn't realize it to be this bad, until you pointed out. ....

Some screen grab as I am unable to find link of the feed anymore (Tried to search for page in the watermark, but couldn't find as well) ...
Found the shorts in YouTube. Can ignore or mute the audio as it's a dialogue snipped from a Tamil film.

Indeed scary. I guess, since they shouldn't increase the rumblers height as per specification, they just cut the road between rumblers to make it deeper. Finding loopholes in rules.

Last edited by viggienomad : 16th July 2024 at 21:03. Reason: more clarity
viggienomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 21:41   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

The authorities should be made to drive on the highways in Assam starting from Bongaigaon till Guwahati. The entire route is peppered with rumble strips of various heights and is downright dangerous. I have seen cars with broken axles and blown out tyres on that route very often. I understand that the route passes through small towns but to put rumble strips before every crossing is not that bright an idea to slow the cars down. I don’t know what to make out of this answer out of RTI query !!
Old 16th July 2024, 21:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fully agree, and have seen multiple accidents due to these irritating road depressions.

I have already raised a complaint with NHAI and PGPortal for the same. Please find it below. (Initially tried to follow SOP and asked for complaint register but they told none available and pushed me to go for online & email method.

Rumblers & speed breakers are banned on National Highways: RTI-img20240716wa00002.jpg
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks