Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2024, 09:14   #16
BANNED

Re: Rumblers & speed breakers are banned on National Highways: RTI

One of our greatest losses was the passing of Traffic Ramaswamy what a stalwart and what a man he was!

Though the courts have banned rumblers - everyone knows they are millions of them on the Highways, many directly contributing to major accidents.

Tamil Nadu of late has taken to placing barricades on highways to another level. On a recent 2000 km drive through the state - I noticed they have placed barricades at almost every place on a high way where a minor road interjects - literally every where a small road cuts in. This contributes to severe congestion in a lot of places as well as the fact that it is very dangerous to have thoughtless barricades set up almost everywhere. It also contributes to I am guessing over 20% less mileage on the highways with having to frequently brake and accelerate.

But again, the question arises - how can we tackle this menace as a group, instead of just talking about it and being arm chair activists??

Last edited by Yesterdaysnews : 26th January 2024 at 09:16.
Yesterdaysnews is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 10:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesterdaysnews View Post
One of our greatest...
Write to Nitin Gadkari or start a online campaign highlighting the issues of barricades and speed breakers on highways, also we need to suggest solutions as to how we can overcome the use of speed breakers and barricades. For example one option is to provide for u turn further down the highway and widen the road at such places.
Old 26th January 2024, 14:02   #18

The issue of speed breakers on Indian highways is truly a menace. This needs urgent attention. On my recent visit to the Konark temple from Puri, I came across numerous speed breakers which are not even marked with any color making them impossible to figure out during night driving. These are more dangerous than being useful.
Old 26th January 2024, 14:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Does this include the painted strips that go BRRRRRR?

I was driving on NH753F yesterday and these strips would show up mid corner upsetting the line of the car causing it to start understeering. Could be worse on a motorcycle.

Even if it doesn't, that is alright. Rumblers and speed breakers are a menace on NHs and must be removed. I already posted about what is happening at speed breakers elsewhere (including on the Controversial Car Opinions thread) so won't repeat it here.

Is there a process to report these illegal speed breakers and have them removed? Maybe sue the NHAI for contempt of court for not following through on removing these illegal structures all over the country for all these years?
antz.bin is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 18:13   #20

Recently in PCMC (Pune), they have placed rumble strips across the city. It wreaks havoc on 2 wheelers going over them at low speed. Many people almost lose balance going over them. And the rear passenger's back takes the maximum impact.
Old 27th January 2024, 02:08   #21
BHPian

Thank God!
Mine is a Virtus & settled quickly like this when I hit an invisible speed breaker at around 80 kmph on Kolar-Bangalore highway.
All occupants were safe & suspension didn’t get hurt but don’t want that kind of jump to happen again. Will be glad if they’re all removed.

Name:  AA7A28DD32824A35A76F8052F1D22486.gif
Views: 438
Size:  1.38 MB
SaiChaithanya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 02:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Good thing they banned but why were they needed in the first place :S there are so many potholes where I live to take care of overspeeding vehicles (if any at all).

In fact, the speed bumps themselves had potholes in it.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 06:46   #23
BHPian

Traffic management is a state subject. Specifically speed limits.

In Pune, traffic cops can decide/decode what is state law on rumblers/breakers. Ditto on every city/municipality in every state.

NH and state highways merge at certain points and that is where the jurisdiction changes.

I am still trying to figure that out.

Everyone wants safety. Rumblers and speed breakers are there to remind vehicle riders/drivers of potential problem spots. Add to that state-wise rules and the potential for mischief, both by vehicle drivers/riders and cops. Total khichadi.
Old 27th January 2024, 09:29   #24
BHPian

Come to any National Highway of West Bengal and you'll be greeted with everything like speed breakers, rumblers, barriers in the middle of the road, police check point in the middle of the highway, multiple cuts in the divider for passage of bicycle, two wheeler etc. interestingly all without any prior warning!
Old 27th January 2024, 09:49   #25
BHPian

I guess speed breakers are installed as a result of combination of high traffic and indiscipline drivers in every segment/class of vehicles and unfortunately many who drive private cars fit in this category. For example, the NH coming in to Bangalore from Hosur, the NH going out from Bangalore to Nelamangala even until Dobbaspet has a lot of traffic. Even then one could see speeding vehicles in these sections. The former has got a lot of speed breakers after Attibelle. The latter has not many, but do have some near bridge and tolls.

Comparatively, some state highways are actually in real good shape. Happened to travel between Madhugiri and Lepakshi and roads are 2 laned but with good amount of shoulder, bypasses villages and towns mostly and has no speed breakers and hardly has any traffic. Had this been a road with high amount of traffic, then chances of erratic drivers increases and would probably have speed breakers at junctions and villages.

This is my trip detail from this SH road. In the 80km stretch, the speed hardly went below 40 that too a couple of times while waiting to overtake / while crossing junctions and villages till I entered the town at last.

Rumblers & speed breakers are banned on National Highways: RTI-screenshot_2024012709352796_340457be4f28d887bc9b5f45f6cc099f.jpg

Ultimately, we have to look out for these speed breakers along with unruly drivers, potholes and stray animals while on the national highways for times to come..
Old 27th January 2024, 12:20   #26
BHPian

There are 10+ killer speed breakers when travelling between pune and Bengaluru using the Solapur highway. It start at around 400 kms mark (going from pune to bengaluru), some time after crossing vijaypura. The speed breakers are found for another 100 kms or so. They are not painted and if one was to cross them without slowing down, one would either fly a considerable distance or go home with the suspension in their hands. I did not see any villages around but there were shops, so I guess these are to slow down vehicles so they can see the shops and provide some business to the locals.

Last edited by Zippy_wheels : 27th January 2024 at 12:30.
Old 27th January 2024, 12:40   #27
BHPian

I dont know what are the ways in which we can try and follow up to ensure our highways follow these rules and regulations. In Pune, these rumblers and speed breakers are very common on the highways.

Is there a petition we can create as a community? Every time i go on these i can feel a part of my dashboard disintegrating
Old 27th January 2024, 14:01   #28
BHPian

We need responsible and common sensical people at the grass roots level. Not everything can be done from the top. For this accountability should be enforced throughout the chain of administration. Until then rules and laws don't mean anything.
Old 28th January 2024, 12:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesterdaysnews View Post
One of our greatest losses was the passing of Traffic Ramaswamy what a stalwart and what a man he was!
Think it could be because of him that there are no speed breakers in NH in Tamilnadu. But they manage to choke with barricades. For a sedate driver, this is better than negotiating speed breakers. Looking out for barricades is easier than constantly scanning tarmac for an unmarked speed breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
... the NH coming in to Bangalore from Hosur, the NH going out from Bangalore to Nelamangala even until Dobbaspet has a lot of traffic. Even then one could see speeding vehicles in these sections. The former has got a lot of speed breakers after Attibelle. The latter has not many, but do have some near bridge and tolls.

Ultimately, we have to look out for these speed breakers along with unruly drivers, potholes and stray animals while on the national highways for times to come..
After driving long hours on speed breaker free NH in Tamilnadu, it does come as a shock to suddenly find a speed breaker in a 6-lane highway (+ 4 service lanes extra) after Attibelle. Especially at night, during lean traffic.

Brought back to reality, scanning the road for speed breakers will start in mind, only to find more speed breakers after the first one. Sigh! even 6-lanes are not spared! Think they were not there in pre-covid times. These speed breakers are not well marked.

Warning sign boards & markings on the speed breakers must be proper. Since we cannot get rid of them, at least making them visible will help a lot.
viggienomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 23:31   #30
BHPian

In Assam, on the contrary, more deadly speed breakers capable of destroying cars are coming up everywhere on the highways especially on the four lane highway NH 31. It seems no law exists here. At first they constructed those, then removed those and again reconstructing some on NH 31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks