Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2023, 01:33   #16
BHPian

re: Maruti-Suzuki has released the Fronx crash test video

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGirl_Dad View Post
Watch from 26.05 min mark in the below video:
I went through the video and based on what I understand, the case they are evaluating is about two cars having different heights by design colliding with each other and how it impacts the results. Whereas, in the case of GNCAP or BNCAP, the collision is against a standard barrier and hence I am not sure if the form factor matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
`
I believe that if the platform is same, the results can surely be extrapolated! Look at all the cars from MSIL on Heartech Platform which were crash tested, weren't the results similar?
One case which falls in this category is the crash test of the Altroz and Punch. Both are based on ALFA-ARC platform and achieved same results. But, the ommision of Baleno in the Maruti video raises lot of doubts. However, since Shashank Srivastava has already announced that the Baleno is sent for Bharat NCAP(No mention of Fronx though), I think we just need to wait and watch for the results.
skarthiksr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 09:30   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti-Suzuki has released the Fronx crash test video

Great to see Maruti at least "waking" up to the idea of crash tests & safety. But what is the point of a mere video? How about sharing results by an independent party too? Else, this is akin to a kid sharing a video of himself filling an examination form....without sharing the grade / result.

Maruti's next appraisals = employees share videos of themselves working. No questions asked on performance or targets.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 10:47   #18
BHPian

Looks like Maruti got some good results in internal testing and used this for marketing purposes. But why don't they share the results? Video without the data makes no sense.
Good to know Maruti has a crash test facility at first (No offense, just sarcasm).
None of the images shows a fully crumpled car so it is difficult to say whether the cabin is intact.
Old 29th December 2023, 10:54   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti has its own crash testing setup at its Rohtak facility. I know someone who has seen a post crash test Ignis there few years back. I hope BNCAP releases the test results of Maruti cars that were sent for testing. If there is a delay, it may be due to tests not as per the norms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

It could be Maruti very smartly promoting these 2 slow selling cars on the name of safety.( Which is also questionable since we dont have the results disclosed ).
Fronx and Brezza have been selling like hot cakes and if you take into account the Baleno + Glanza + Fronx, the number is just awesome. (August - 18516+12164+4932=35612, September - 18417+11455+4727=34599, October - 16594+11357+4724=32675, November - 12961+9867+3950 = 26778).

Some car makers are not even selling total cars equal to that number. The Diesel Brezza was already rated a 4 Star car by GNCAP.

Maruti-Suzuki has released the Fronx crash test video-screenshot_2023122910193925_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 29th December 2023 at 11:02.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 11:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post

I believe that if the platform is same, the results can surely be extrapolated! Look at all the cars from MSIL on Heartech Platform which were crash tested, weren't the results similar?
I believe there were varying results for cars based on Heartect.
On the range of Maruti cars on Hearttects that were tested, results ranged from 0 to 3 stars. That's four different levels of six available crash test ranking.

I think Spresso scored a zero, and a three for Ertiga. There were few others in between that scored in 1s and 2s.
Old 29th December 2023, 14:03   #21
BHPian

This could mean that Bharat NCAP test of some Maruti cars has been done. In order to show their "commitment to safety" they might have had released the crash test video. They want consumers to show that they are confident with their product's safety.
Good luck to Maruti for their BNCAP crash results.
Old 29th December 2023, 14:08   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree that the crash test video without results is pointless. But we should also factor in the fact that manufacturer isn't a competent authority to award ratings. It wouldn't also be trusted by critics who will say Maruti gave botched up ratings to their advantage.

What Maruti should have done, is post impact sketches of the dummy with those green, yellow, orange and red areas showing level of protection. That would give a fair idea about safety of the car.

Since they haven't, I suspect that those sketches weren't impressive enough to announce OR they want to surprise the nation with a flawless 5 star result in Bharat NCAP. Let's wait and see.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 29th December 2023 at 14:09.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 20:32   #23
BANNED

While I hate the management for not making safer cars, we have to appreciate for them trying to do something. If these cars get a 4* rating, that would be great. There's no way they can continue the status quo, the people are becoming more aware.
Old 29th December 2023, 21:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

“We have investigated ourselves and given ourselves top marks”
Cresterk is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 22:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

If everybody does this, we don't need independent validators, right?
1. Hotels can release videos about their 'superior food quality', and claim that govt food inspectors are not needed.
2. Car manufacturers can release videos of "roadworthiness" and then claim that the govt's homologation and validation test of new cars is unnecessary.
3. We can give ourselves a degree certificate saying "I checked and found that I am good for the degree".
Oh, what a beautiful world this will be!

Last edited by jinojohnt : 29th December 2023 at 22:18.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 22:44   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

A five star rated Fronx and Brezza will finally send shivers down Tata who has been batting with the build quality tag for quite sometime and running ad campaigns specifically on this targeting Hyundai and Maruti. But would that really make a big difference in sales since the lack of safety hasn’t really affected Maruti a lot. It’s just going to be another feather on their cap.
Old 30th December 2023, 01:23   #27
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Seeing that there are no child restraints in the back it looks like this is an AIS98-configuration crash (56kph) and not the 64kph NCAP ODB. But surely interesting to watch nevertheless as there has been no footage so far. I look forward to the official BNCAP results and hope that the new Baleno and Fronx do well.
That’s what I thought someone with the know how of video editing and physics could do a speed calculation for the tires and the distance the car moves and let us know the actual speeds at which these tests are carried out.
Old 30th December 2023, 08:38   #28
BHPian

They have cleverly used the label "as per Indian regulations". Doesn't it mean that the said crash tests were performed at 56 kmph? Or at 64 kmph?
Fastdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 12:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
What Maruti should have done, is post impact sketches of the dummy with those green, yellow, orange and red areas showing level of protection. That would give a fair idea about safety of the car.

Since they haven't, I suspect that those sketches weren't impressive enough to announce OR they want to surprise the nation with a flawless 5 star result in Bharat NCAP. Let's wait and see.
There is no one standard for the dummy visualisation and even the Euro NCAP colour bands have constantly evolved. What qualifies as 'good' protection or 'poor' protection is always the consumer-test body's opinion. NCAPs usually consider 5% risk of AIS3+ injury of that type to a body part as 'green'.

But these limits are not fixed and are created only to simplify how the result is presented to consumers. GNCAP for example used to consider 50% risk of AIS3+ rib fracture as 'poor' (red) chest protection but since 2022 it is lower than that. That's why the S-Presso changed from brown to red without a retest (as will the Kwid, i20 etc).

Similarly Maruti could arbitrarily decide that they considered 25% risk of AIS3+ injury to be 'good' protection and give you a dummy visualisation for the Fronx with an all-green dummy. Would that make you happy?

Also besides the dummy readings themselves the colours in consumer tests depend also on other subjective factors that cars are marked down for. I for one would really not want the car manufacturer's opinion on that as there is an obvious conflict of interest. In the past manufacturers have even had to argue with GNCAP on this (eg. Toyota Yaris for Africa where Toyota insisted the structure should be rated stable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Any idea if Baleno featured in the video? The Heartect platform image published on the brochures of Baleno and Fronx are exactly the same, but not sure whether the crash test results of the Fronx can be extrapolated for the Baleno.
The Baleno and Fronx do not just share platform but are officially 'partner models' as per most NCAP guidelines. These are models that share most parts and differ very little in construction. As long as the wheelbase, ride height etc. are within acceptable tolerances the NCAP in question can simply pull the result of one and apply it to the other - but sometimes only in one direction. Eg. Baleno side impact (lower R-point) can be used for Fronx but not vice versa.

Last edited by ron178 : 30th December 2023 at 12:31.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 10:57   #30

Maruti already has really bad reputation all these years when evaluated wrt NCAP parameters. Most of its vehicle has 0 to 1 star rating. Don't know when govt. of India would framed the laws on safety rating related vehicle sale restrictions.

I suppose only Brezza and Grand Vitara have good rating and structural integrity. Maruti vehicles mostly are light weight in all segment categories compared to competition and hence impacting on robust structural integrity.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th May 2024 at 20:52. Reason: Typos and formatting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks