Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2023, 17:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Is ADAS creating a new crop of incompetent drivers?

Absolutely in agreement with the OP. There's a very big need to draw a line in any case that is boosted by such technologies. ADAS and generative AI are the immediate technologies that come to mind. Like it or not, you'll get heavily dependent on it, and with time it'll take away the innate ability that you had as a veteran driver. You simply can't expect yourself to be as vigilant as you were before being introduced to the technology. Now who will draw that line will always be up for debate, but it's always better to start with yourself. I for one will always refrain from technologies like ADAS or generative AI. Hell I don't even use a reverse camera.
Old 23rd December 2023, 09:38   #32

Apart from ADAS, the new crop of SUV owners is making the roads unsafe as well.

I do a 1000 - 1800 Km drive every month and I have seen this many a times.

Young blood driving latest gen SUV's and being reckless while driving. From a distance they start honking and what everyone to get out of their way.

Most of them drive at 130 - 150 range on highways. So many times, I have forwarded number plate detail along with video of rash driving to respective State RTO's. I hope some action is taken.

And God forbid if they are travelling together, they race with each other. This is so dangerous.

ADAS or No ADAS, Common sense is what is required, and this is what is lacking.
Tigs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 10:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

IMO we're already a large crop of incompetent drivers(me included) ADAS and the misinformation and the misconceptions surrounding it just give rise to even more recklessness and stupidity.
Not that we were having a dearth of it anyway

But it is what it is and I don't see our crash numbers improving on any front, they might actually increase.
Old 23rd December 2023, 10:52   #34
BHPian

On the contrary, If the driver is irresponsible to begin with - then ADAS might make them better drivers. With ADAS enabled one cannot tailgate or change lanes without indicating etc right? 😅
Joe367 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 13:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe367 View Post
On the contrary, If the driver is irresponsible to begin with - then ADAS might make them better drivers. With ADAS enabled one cannot tailgate or change lanes without indicating etc right? 😅
It is not that you cannot do these things, but just that ADAS notices it and 'warns' you every time you do it. In the case of Honda City on a road with lane markings, if you change lanes without indicator, then you get a warning msg on dashboard with mild steering vibration. In case of tailgating or following another car closely, you first get flashing msg on dash mentioning collision warning and likely auto-braking will kick-in if driver doesn't take any action. Difficult to miss both of these warnings if you are an attentive driver.
vijaykr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 13:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

The problem is not that many drivers are incompetent. If there is an average driver, some will always be below average and others will be above average. 20-30-40 years ago, the situation with incompetent drivers was the same as it is now. The new problem is that there are SO MANY of drivers around us. Just look at the traffic and number of cars/bikes nowadays. Was it the same 20 years back?

To be able to survive in such a jam packed scenario, we need all the help we can get. And if there is something that makes the below average driver a bit better, I am all for it since it makes all of us safer.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2024, 17:49   #37
BHPian

If we agree that driving is an art & a science that one needs to master.
If so much of that is automated, people become "lazy-drivers" and incompetent to tackle challenging circumstances.

It's like learning math. If a calculator is always used, it is easy to forget how or why a long-division is done.

What would you think of a pilot who got his license only flying auto-pilot, never having to take manual control of the plane?

I'm all for increasing safety as aids, but I think FSD, and increasingly automated levels of ADAS, will lead to more incompetent drivers.
Old 21st January 2024, 21:16   #38
Team-BHP Support

After driving the level 2 ADAS equipped car for couple months, I have a new theory. It is the converse of the title of this title.

I think ADAS exposes bad driving habits. I don't mean just the ones driving the ADAS equipped cars, but even drivers around an ADAS equipped car.

I am neither an aggressive driver, nor a slow driver. I consider myself a careful driver or a defensive driver. I always allow extra space to allow for any evasive or an emergency action.

Driving dangerously in an ADAS equipped car, or near an ADAS equipped car, can result in accidents. I saw this example today...

I was driving in a construction zone, where all traffic was on the same side. I was content following a bus, while keeping ample distance. An XUV700 driver decides I am too tame, for allowing so much gap. He jumps in the middle and starts tailgating the bus. I automatically slow down to create my usual gap. Then it occurred to me that the XUV700 may have ADAS, and it might trigger any time. So, I further increased the distance, to cover for that.

That had an unintended effect. Another driver behind me comes to the same conclusion as the XUV700 driver. He too jumps into the gap, but he is not satisfied with following the XUV700. He moved in front of me, and starts tailgating the same bus. I further increased the distance from them. It is two-lane wide road with oncoming traffic, and these two are parallel tailgating a bus. Just imagine if that bus had ADAS, an emergency brake would smash the frontend of both the cars.

Fortunately, the situation lasted only a few seconds, before the bus turned off, and the diversion ended. As more and more cars (or even buses) start having ADAS, it can expose lot of such dangerous habits, which Indian drivers are getting away with so far.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st January 2024 at 21:19.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 21:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After driving the level 2 ADAS equipped car for couple months, I have a new theory. It is the converse of the title of this title.

I think ADAS exposes bad driving habits. I don't mean just the ones driving the ADAS equipped cars, but even drivers around an ADAS equipped car.

https://Youtu.be/n1nZLOjQCCc
This is what I don't get. What did those gentlemen get by tail gating and "closing the gap" ? I do not see why people do this.

In any case a perfect background music for this kind of driving.
electric_eel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 01:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe367 View Post
On the contrary, If the driver is irresponsible to begin with - then ADAS might make them better drivers. With ADAS enabled one cannot tailgate or change lanes without indicating etc right? ��
Although the driver is expected to stay alert and override the ADAS functions if needed, the alertness level of the driver on an ADAS equipped vehicle can relatively go down over time.
This does not mean that the driver will become incompetant after getting used to an ADAS vehicle, it implies that the drivers autonomous response will get toned down and subconsciously allow the vehicle to partially assist. The person will be in harmony with the ADAS vehicle to safely manoeuvre the vehicle.

While the driver may get perfectly tuned to safely driving an ADAS vehicle over time, they may become relatively incompetent to drive a non-ADAS vehicle if they suddenly make a switch between the two vehicle types (after a long time, not if they frequently switch between ADAS and non ADAS vehicles).

So there will be that slight degree of uncertainity whether the driver(used to ADAS long term) will react in time to make the necessary braking, turning adjustments needed in those crucial split seconds, the actions which need to taken by the driver automatically like a reflex action/involuntarily in a non-ADAS vehicle.

Having said that, would strongly believe that (radar based) ADAS is the way to go forward, especially with the Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) feature that has the potentially to significantly reduce the number of crashes as a result of the driver dozing off behind the wheel and also de-risk the chances of colliding with a with a stationary truck/trailer in poor visibility conditions.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 22nd January 2024 at 01:17.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 17:57   #41
BHPian

Any new bit of technology will cause the next generation to be that much more incompetent. This applies for all fields, not just automobiles. I saw a shopkeeper use a calculator for 210+10 yesterday. 360 cameras also have a similar effect ie: it makes drivers just that much more incompetent for parking.
UNSC117 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks