Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2023, 19:25   #61

Re: High beams - Indian cities horrible to drive in. Can we drive change?

I moved to Delhi NCR 10 years ago and it's been an education in bad driving manners. I don't want to generalize, as there are good (meaning - safe) drivers here too.

The cops ignore anyone who looks like he/she can't pay. 2 wheelers routinely drive on the wrong side right in front of them. I was even wrong sided by a TRUCK in Mahipalpur.

The drive back from my hospital in Gurgaon to my house in Delhi is terrible, especially since one is stuck in crawling traffic and high beams galore both oncoming and ones behind.

I deal with oncoming dazzlers by flashing my (very powerful) high beams at intervals of a few seconds - high beams on my car have been used only for this purpose over the last 6 years - works every time.

It's the ones behind that I can't seem to tackle. I have been mentally toying with a mirror-on-hinges james bond style contraption or a chrome reflector maybe to help - any suggestions?

I always slow down, let people overtake, not worth the hassle. Anyways, I get enough accident victims in the ER to remember to let these things go. I just bought a pair of yellow anti-glare glasses for night driving and it really helps.

Bonus: Since traffic is crawling anyway, slowing down also slows the offending vehicle behind. Horns? They are connected to the brakes here, so they blaring away already.

To the OP: I don't think going to the courts will help. My wife drives on high beams despite my telling her. (My 5 year old son keeps correcting her though :-))

We already have the law, it's just not implemented uniformly.

I remember my childhood days in Hyderabad (80's and 90's) where cops would stand at signals with black paint and paint over the top half of all scooter lights that were on high beam. That aside, I have never seen this law being implemented.

Fining people isn't going to help - the police will start targeting only high end vehicles and let cabs / 2 wheelers go.

I don't have a solution. But one of these days, I'm going to go mad-scientist and equip my ecosport with some extra buttons
Kiran Melkote is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 22:28   #62
BHPian

I agree that high beam driving is a menace especially for oncoming traffic. This has to be curbed somehow by imparting proper education to the truck drivers and in our case to the kartc bus drivers. I can't blame them though. I believe much of it in my part of the country (I am from Kottayam, Kerala) is due to badly illuminated roads and twists and turns with lots of blind spots with ample possibility of an accident.
born.4thnov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 14:51   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1108 View Post
Here's a suggestion for Team-BHP. Can you develop a reflective sticker that simply says "Lower your Beam - You are blinding me and everyone on the road". All members could stick it on the back windscreen and thus start the awareness campaign
I drive in Hyderabad and trust me when I say this, my car would be filled with endless stickers top to bottom, front to back and sideways. By no means am I criticising you or the idea, it's just that I am looking at it in a very jolly way. Driving in the wrong direction, not using turn indicators, imagine how many stickers!

Unfortunately our system designs rules but it's so slow and sometimes can't even implement them. Why even waste tax payers money and paint lanes? Hyderabad is so full of people jumping the signal, it's not even funny. Under the nose of a traffic police! They honk when I stop at a red light which have recently been installed near a hospital for pedestrians to cross. Happy to abuse you as well. I have realised that it is sheer lack of empathy towards another person along with lack of common sense.

I drive a sedan and it's horrible after the sun sets in. Even if you signal by turning your high beam on and off, the opposite car doesn't drop their high beam.

In future we may all need educational billboards from the transport department like how we have for "do not drink and drive". I believe on this forum we can create awareness but a possible solution may require the transport authority to educate drivers. Constant advertising is the only way to get something into your head
Ishallownabmw is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks